• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Shengar

I'm pretty sure guild quests only cycle after reaching one of the completion states. As in either beat it or cart three times.

Is it? I thought GH advise you to use quit trick in order to cycle the treasure area, then carted three times for the loot if you're on solo. Maybe I misremembering things.

co1onel

are you guys talking about guildquests or expeditions? There's no cycling of guildquests, there are no advanced guildquests. Rare areas do indeed cycle by abandoning quest, expeditions monsters do not.

Wolfe

Is it? I thought GH advise you to use quit trick in order to cycle the treasure area, then carted three times for the loot if you're on solo. Maybe I misremembering things.

Yeah I could very easily be wrong, just going off of what I've seen while doing it myself. Never had a treasure area show up until after one of the completion criteria is met (success or failure).

Also made sense to me as it tells you when a treasure area is found (for the next attempt) during the post hunt screens.

are you guys talking about guildquests or expeditions? There's no cycling of guildquests, there are no advanced guildquests. Rare areas do indeed cycle by abandoning quest, expeditions monsters do not.

Yeah the cycling in reference is to the treasure rooms. Interesting that they do cycle even with abandoning as I've yet to see it happen (granted I've not exclusively tried to cycle by doing that) and it seems as though that kind of trivializes the treasure rooms to me.

Either way thanks for the clarification :)

Tom_Cody

Last night I attempted to settle into some G-rank Teostra grinding, but I ended up on my first high G guild quests. It was great fun! The group of randoms I was playing with got Teostra from level 125 to level 138 before I had to bow out. I carted two separate times over the course of the play session, but we didn't fail a single mission and overall I feel like I pulled my weight.

I had always thought that I was going to bow out of MH4U before getting into guild quests, but I think instead I found my new addiction. There is something really appealing about crafting equipment sets designed for single monsters.

Any Guild Quest advice? I am totally new to the system and the drops. I think there is a GH video on the topic at least. I feel like a noob all over again, lol. How do I go about finding the right room/quest for Relic switch axes?

Last night I attempted to settle into some G-rank Teostra grinding, but I ended up on my first high G guild quests. It was great fun! The group of randoms I was playing with got Teostra from level 125 to level 138 before I had to bow out. I carted two separate times over the course of the play session, but we didn't fail a single mission and overall I feel like I pulled my weight.

I had always thought that I was going to bow out of MH4U before getting into guild quests, but I think instead I found my new addiction. There is something really appealing about crafting equipment sets designed for single monsters.

Any Guild Quest advice? I am totally new to the system and the drops. I think there is a GH video on the topic at least. I feel like a noob all over again, lol. How do I go about finding the right room/quest for Relic switch axes?

Ask here! For example: "Anyone have a G rank [monster name here] with an SA bias?"

I'm not really into the whole guild quest thing so I don't have many useful ones, but there are a lot of regulars here who I'm sure have exactly what you'd be looking for, and generally everyone's been willing to hop on for a second just to give you the quest.

gp7TVIE.png

Meanwhile I'm mashing my face against double rajang QG with randoms who don't seem to understand that he has a giant fucking laser beam.

Tom_Cody

Ask here! For example: "Anyone have a G rank [monster name here] with an SA bias?"

I'm not really into the whole guild quest thing so I don't have many useful ones, but there are a lot of regulars here who I'm sure have exactly what you'd be looking for, and generally everyone's been willing to hop on for a second just to give you the quest.

Thanks for the info.

Wow, what a rabbit hole to go down. So much info.

I like the notion of facing end-game monsters with specifically tailored sets, I less like the idea of going on the ultimate grind in order to potentially get equipment that is only slightly better than the normal end-game equipment.

Oh well, at least for now it makes sense for me to play them to get divine armor spheres and charm drops. If I end up getting wrapped up in the process I might actually aim to craft a relic set. And as long as I'm on Switch Axe biased quests then I will have a chance to get an interesting weapon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Meanwhile I'm mashing my face against double rajang QG with randoms who don't seem to understand that he has a giant fucking laser beam.

I know this might sound dumb, but why don't they just attack him from behind and the sides? It's what I tend to do in that fight. Why stand in front of something that shoots lasers/flames/ice/water from its mouth?

tuffy

Oddly, Rajang rarely uses his lightning beam against people who are right in his face; he prefers to spam it against hunters way on the other side of the room. This can be especially bad when trying to break away to heal because that thing has a near infinite range and will go right through the room's terrain.

tuffy

Dung bombs are pointless for separating Rajangs anyway, so that much is no big deal. But I'd expect people to know when to break out the pitfall traps before hitting the Rajang GQs.

Back from a break of trying to finish Arkham Knight and Witcher 3. Any confirmation we're getting Starlight this Friday? (t's the first Friday of each month right?)

Doopliss

Thanks for the info.

Wow, what a rabbit hole to go down. So much info.

I like the notion of facing end-game monsters with specifically tailored sets, I less like the idea of going on the ultimate grind in order to potentially get equipment that is only slightly better than the normal end-game equipment.

Oh well, at least for now it makes sense for me to play them to get divine armor spheres and charm drops. If I end up getting wrapped up in the process I might actually aim to craft a relic set. And as long as I'm on Switch Axe biased quests then I will have a chance to get an interesting weapon.
The quest has to be against the right kind of monster as well as having the right bias. For example, Beshackled Weapons obtained in a Brachydios GQ with a Switch Axe/Charge Blade/Insect Glaive bias can only ever appraise as CBs or IGs (Champion Weapons could appraise as SAs, but they'll be worse than what you can craft normally).

You can see here the full list of monsters which can give the best SAs, and which appearance they'll be.

Tom_Cody

The quest has to be against the right kind of monster as well as having the right bias. For example, Beshackled Weapons obtained in a Brachydios GQ with a Switch Axe/Charge Blade/Insect Glaive bias can only ever appraise as CBs or IGs (Champion Weapons could appraise as SAs, but they'll be worse than what you can craft normally).

You can see here the full list of monsters which can give the best SAs, and which appearance they'll be.
Ok, so Deviljho, Oroshi Kirin, Kushala Daora?

Doopliss

No, you can get the best relic SAs from anything in that table. The different rows just show which monster give which model, which has no bearing on the stats. Just note that a bunch of GQ monsters are not listed there: Brachy, Rajang, Teostra etc.

Was I ever entitled to this theme if I got the limited edition mh4u n3dsxl? Also how do I go about redownloading MH4U if I ever deleted it I wonder. Or would I just be screwed, lol.
I think he means the free theme that's available for everyone. Not the same as the one that was (is?) included with digital purchases of the game. And you can redownload pre-installed software from the list of purchased items on the eshop.

Beats

Was I ever entitled to this theme if I got the limited edition mh4u n3dsxl? Also how do I go about redownloading MH4U if I ever deleted it I wonder. Or would I just be screwed, lol.

You should be. They released it free for everyone last month because the game shipped 1mil+ in the west. It's this one.

Was there another one?

Well, it's just the Weapon gallery theme that was released last month. Was there another free theme?

I think he means the free theme that's available for everyone. Not the same as the one that was (is?) included with digital purchases of the game. And you can redownload pre-installed software from the list of purchased items on the eshop.

Got it, thanks. And that's good to know about the pre-installed stuff.

Well, it's just the Weapon gallery theme that was released last month. Was there another free theme?

Yeah, I think there was one for purchasing the game digitally at launch. I checked if I was eligible for it since technically my copy is digital, but Nintendo apparently doesn't count pre-installed.

Edit: Unless of course this other theme is the exact same theme.

Wolfe

I've always used this spreadsheet (was part of the thread I linked earlier) where you can look up the armor or weapon skin you want and then find the corresponding monster that will drop it at whichever level of rarity you're seeking: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GIZuX0b-_tyy7_TIe8Wv8jkfZE/edit#gid=560953449

Tom_Cody

No, you can get the best relic SAs from anything in that table. The different rows just show which monster give which model, which has no bearing on the stats. Just note that a bunch of GQ monsters are not listed there: Brachy, Rajang, Teostra etc.

I've always used this spreadsheet (was part of the thread I linked earlier) where you can look up the armor or weapon skin you want and then find the corresponding monster that will drop it at whichever level of rarity you're seeking: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GIZuX0b-_tyy7_TIe8Wv8jkfZE/edit#gid=560953449
Thanks guys.

tuffy

Yeah, I think there was one for purchasing the game digitally at launch. I checked if I was eligible for it since technically my copy is digital, but Nintendo apparently doesn't count pre-installed.

Edit: Unless of course this other theme is the exact same theme.
People who purchased the e-shop copy of the game got a Gore Magala theme free, whereas the one ending today is the weapons theme. It's unfortunate those who got the game preinstalled missed out on the Gore theme. Though I like the weapons theme better to be honest.

Wolfe

Thanks guys.

I hear ya on the RNG of it being rather daunting though, even now when I have a set I want to build (Damascus) and the quest for the right CB skin, I still put off leveling the quests up lol. Damn RNG really wears on ya by that point I guess.

Edit: still really looking forward to eventually building the set with the CB skin I want though :p

I'd like to play with Gaf'ers sometime as I've never had before. I'm not the best player but mostly looking for fun. I'm HR60 bronze g rank crown but I'm down for helping others out.

Masaki_

I'm trying to sleepbomb Teostra in G3 in order to break its wing talons and complete the subquest, but I'm having a hard time doing it and I don't know why.

Apparently you only need to do 100 damage to them twice in order to break them. To me, that meant I would just need two bombs to get the job done, but in the end I had to sleepbomb them twice, even had to mount once and hit the wings a few times.

I might be placing the bombs incorrectly, but I always try to put them so the talons are right at the edge of the blast radius.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: nvm found an easier way to break it

tm24

Back from a break of trying to finish Arkham Knight and Witcher 3. Any confirmation we're getting Starlight this Friday? (t's the first Friday of each month right?)

Well, the blatant tease at the end of the june trailer would indicate yes, but this is Capcom so who knows?

jorgejjvr

I'm trying to sleepbomb Teostra in G3 in order to break its wing talons and complete the subquest, but I'm having a hard time doing it and I don't know why.

Apparently you only need to do 100 damage to them twice in order to break them. To me, that meant I would just need two bombs to get the job done, but in the end I had to sleepbomb them twice, even had to mount once and hit the wings a few times.

I might be placing the bombs incorrectly, but I always try to put them so the talons are right at the edge of the blast radius.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: nvm found an easier way to break it

You could....um...successfully mount it twice...

-Alternis

co1onel

Oddly, Rajang rarely uses his lightning beam against people who are right in his face; he prefers to spam it against hunters way on the other side of the room. This can be especially bad when trying to break away to heal because that thing has a near infinite range and will go right through the room's terrain.

Funny when people use a trap and try to lure rajang into it, only to have him laser everyone to death.

The best is when you can't tell who rajang is targeting with the laser, so you assume it's you and wind up rolling right into the beam.

tuffy

Funny when people use a trap and try to lure rajang into it, only to have him laser everyone to death.

The best is when you can't tell who rajang is targeting with the laser, so you assume it's you and wind up rolling right into the beam.
Rajang's head takes a huge amount of shot damage and his beam is a great opening to get a lot of hits in, but miscalculating where he's going with it never ceases to be embarrassing.

If you really need to heal in battle, put a small barrel bomb first, then drink your pot. The explosion will knock you away during the recovery frames and render you invulnerable.

jorgejjvr

If you really need to heal in battle, put a small barrel bomb first, then drink your pot. The explosion will knock you away during the recovery frames and render you invulnerable.

But then you'll take damage again, wouldn't you?

-Alternis

Edit: The worst is either when the randoms don't know that they can't capture a Rajang that's in Apex mode, or when the Rajang gets out of rage mode when it's running into the pitfall trap, therefore wasting it.

upandaway

Is Pierce 2 shot really that important?
I only use level 3 when the monster is gigantic, and level 1 if level 2 runs out. I feel like using all 3 shots to their full potential is way too inconsistent for me.

The main point is that the higher the level, the more damage you do, but also the less damage each hit does. So 2 strikes a nice balance for me between not being too difficult to pull off versus the dps.

Top Bottom