• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tuffy

I went on a quest to deliver 4 stones but my team watched me do all the work, so before I delivered the final stone, I closed the 3DS to get disconnected right in front of the delivery box.

Judge me.
Clever!

I remember going back and doing all those "carry the things to the box" quests solo once I could cheese them in G rank gear. Seems like a good idea in retrospect.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm going to start up playing again in the next few weeks and wouldn't mind getting together a group of like minded people who want to slowly play through ALL of the multiplayer quests.

Munkyspace

Is there any way to get rid of the Hunters for Hire in my hall? Deleted their guild cards and it didn't do anything. Got three dudes with the dumbest names sitting there atm.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm going to start up playing again in the next few weeks and wouldn't mind getting together a group of like minded people who want to slowly play through ALL of the multiplayer quests.

I'm in. Let's set this up. Do you want me to scale gear down for this or do we burn though everything til HR7?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm in. Let's set this up. Do you want me to scale gear down for this or do we burn though everything til HR7?

If it's just you and me maybe we just blow through it, if we get a full group going then we scale down. I'm early on because, well, I got distracted.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If it's just you and me maybe we just blow through it, if we get a full group going then we scale down. I'm early on because, well, I got distracted.

Ok, I've got a lower level rusted axe I haven't upgraded yet that would totally work for this.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not quite ready yet, though I do have very flexible times most nights and almost all weekends. I can probably start next week.

chumby

Neo Member
Hello, everyone!

I just bought MH4U. It's my first MH game, and I'm having lots of fun so far! I have a lot of questions, but perhaps the most pressing is this: Is it common in MP to not see the monsters the other players are fighting? My brother and I are playing together, and we can see each other fighting, but can't see what the other is fighting. Is this a glitch? If so, any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks!

Hello, everyone!

I just bought MH4U. It's my first MH game, and I'm having lots of fun so far! I have a lot of questions, but perhaps the most pressing is this: Is it common in MP to not see the monsters the other players are fighting? My brother and I are playing together, and we can see each other fighting, but can't see what the other is fighting. Is this a glitch? If so, any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks!

small monsters aren't synced online, only large monsters are. So if you're whacking away at a jaggi, your brother will see you playing mime.

jorgejjvr

Hello, everyone!

Thanks!

This is how it goes:

If it is a large monster (a monster that is generally a little larger than a hunter or larger that can be locked on to on the bottom screen), then no, it's not normal for you guys to not be seeing the same thing. Some examples include the Great Jaggi, the Seltas, and the Kecha Wacha. Under ordinary circumstances, you two should be seeing the exact same thing (albeit in a different point of view considering that you guys aren't the same hunters).

However, if it's a small monster (monsters that are generally about the size of your Hunter or smaller, and cannot be locked on to), then it's perfectly normal to not see the same thing. Some examples include the herbivores, Kelbi, and the Jaggi. For example, you both can be fighting the same Jaggi in the same area, but yours may be at the top of the map whereas your partner's might be at the bottom. However, when the small monster is killed, it dies on both screens and is registered as being dead on your 3DS (if your partner killed the same Jaggi you were engaging, yours would look like it just magically died out of nowhere, but you can still carve it).

A way to distinguish large versus small monsters is that large monsters usually have theme songs played when they're attacking you, and have much more health. A small monster usually goes down in a couple of blows.

-Alternis

chumby

Neo Member
Experiment! Find what weapon feels good to use, and keep in mind that armor isn't just about defense, but about the skills that they grant you.

Thanks for the tip! We are at the very beginning of the game, and I was considering blowing all of my money on some armor because it had a higher defense. What kind of skills can armor give, and how can I check the skills?

jorgejjvr

Thanks for the responses! That makes a lot more sense now. :)

Anything we should know as first-time monster hunters?

I would recommend watching Gaijin Hunter's videos!

-Alternis

Edit: Projared's guides are nice too!

Edit 2: Regarding skills, you should really start looking into them at around high rank or G rank. For now it's safe to just go for more defense, but try to buy a whole set of armor to gain benefits (like buying all of the Hunter's armor or all of the Alloy armor, etc.). Some skills include making it so that you only need to grind your weapon once to completely sharpen, others involve raising attack, defense, health, there's a skill for absolutely everything. However, because of this, there are many, MANY skills, making it difficult or impossible to get all of the ones you want in one set. Im sure my fellow GAFers will explain in further detail and provide you with a chart telling you which skill points lead to what skills, and what those particular skills do.

Tzmhero

Thanks for the responses! That makes a lot more sense now. :)

Anything we should know as first-time monster hunters?

Start investing in the Wycoon as soon as you unlock it. You can buy potions pretty easily, but you can't buy Megapotions... so as soon as you get the chance, unlock the Bee yards and start getting honey.

The Wycoon allows you to start duplicating certain item types, Honey being one of them early on. Honey is a recourse you'll find yourself using up quickly if you make Megapotions, so it's always good to have a large supply.

Eventually you will want to bring an item set with 10 potions, 10 Megapotions, and 10 Honey. The First Aid's you get out of the Low Rank mission boxes can be combined with Honey to make First Aid +'s, which are basically 3 more Megapotions, and then once you start using your Megapotions, you can use the remaining honey to combine with your potions to make more.

I would reccomend looking up GaijenHunter on Youtube, he does some really great weapon reviews and overall tips on playing the game. Also, I'd look up http://kiranico.com/ . It's a great site that will give you information ranging from basic things to some of the more complex ideas in the game.

If you ever need someone who's not really high up, but has been through the Low Rank offline quests, I'd be down to help if you want to do some hunting :)

Experiment! Find what weapon feels good to use, and keep in mind that armor isn't just about defense, but about the skills that they grant you.

As an extension of this, since I'm also pretty inexperienced, what would folks' recommendations be for decorations early on? I feel like I'm a bit restricted as far as synergistic options. For context, I just beat the Gore mission (first 5*) today. Using Charge Blade.

Thanks for the tip! We are at the very beginning of the game, and I was considering blowing all of my money on some armor because it had a higher defense. What kind of skills can armor give, and how can I check the skills?

If you cycle through the viewing mode in the armor crafting screen (I believe it's X), you'll be able to see what an armor gives you. You can make use of the Kiranico database to see the effects of skills and check armor builds ahead of crafting them yourself, if you wish.

Personally, just starting out, the Tetsucabra and Najarala armor sets are magnificent.

As an extension of this, since I'm also pretty inexperienced, would would folks' recommendations be for decorations early on? I feel like I'm a bit restricted as far as synergistic options. For context, I just beat the Gore mission (first 5*) today. Using Charge Blade.

That's rather dependent on the armor that early on. Unfortunately, early armor doesn't always have all that many slots for decorations. What pieces of armor do you most often use, and do you have any Talismans that you're using?

jorgejjvr

As an extension of this, since I'm also pretty inexperienced, would would folks' recommendations be for decorations early on? I feel like I'm a bit restricted as far as synergistic options. For context, I just beat the Gore mission (first 5*) today. Using Charge Blade.

Personally, unless you're looking for something specific, I like to go simple and clean. I usually prefer many small skills as opposed to one big one. So I would say consider getting decorations that activate skills with 5 single slots (speed sharpener, divine protection, Sneak, speed gathering, etc.), as they're easy to get and have no downsides.

-Alternis

That's rather dependent on the armor that early on. Unfortunately, early armor doesn't always have all that many slots for decorations. What pieces of armor do you most often use, and do you have any Talismans that you're using?

I have a full rathian and zamtrios sets that I use with my fire and ice charge axes respectively. I only have 1 talisman and I think it has +auto guard or something? For now I have +[ respective element] attack jewels in those sets.

I have a full rathian and zamtrios sets that I use with my fire and ice charge axes respectively. I only have 1 talisman and I think it has +auto guard or something? For now I have +[ respective element] attack jewels in those sets.

On the Zamtrios I'd suggest getting the gems to activate Destroyer, as that will make your life much easier early on when it comes to material collecting.

Are you using Rathian S?

jorgejjvr

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but why would you be using a fire charge blade alongside fire resistant armor? If the armor is resistant to fire, that implies the monster itself uses fire, and therefore a fire weapon against a fire monster is no good. Wouldn't it be better to use the ice charge blade with the rathian set and the fire charge blade with the zamtrios set? I mean, logically, you wouldn't attack an ice shark with an ice weapon you made from it (my apologies if I sounded offensive, that was not the intention, I just wanted to emphasize the point).

-Alternis

On the Zamtrios I'd suggest getting the gems to activate Destroyer, as that will make your life much easier early on when it comes to material collecting.

Are you using Rathian S?
Okay, I'm not a total noob but I definitely am feeling like it compared to you guys lol. What is Rathian S?

Destroyer = what effect?
Sorry if I misunderstood you, but why would you be using a fire charge blade alongside fire resistant armor? If the armor is resistant to fire, that implies the monster itself uses fire, and therefore a fire weapon against a fire monster is no good. Wouldn't it be better to use the ice charge blade with the rathian set and the fire charge blade with the zamtrios set? I mean, logically, you wouldn't attack an ice shark with an ice weapon you made from it (my apologies if I sounded offensive, that was not the intention, I just wanted to emphasize the point).

-Alternis

Because those armor sets have +element atk built in naturally. He's already got the armor built, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
Yeah, the armors have the skill for +elemental damage afaik. I'll swap weapons or armor if I'm up against a monster that resists the element or uses a certain element, and I have a non-elemental charge blade, too, for when neither of those fit.

jorgejjvr

Because those armor sets have +element atk built in naturally. He's already got the armor built, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Ah, somewhat like how the Zinogre set comes with thunder attack plus?

Alright, but my question is, say that you're using the zamtrios armor, and it comes with the added elemental attack, but it is also extremely weak to fire, would that added boost of ice element be worth it when taking on something like a Gravios (which uses the element your armor is weak to) or some other monster that's weak to ice in order for that skill to take effect?

-Alternis

Edit: Basically, you're more powerful against that monster since you're using ice and you gain from the added elemental damage, but the monster is more powerful against you since in general monsters that are weak to ice use fire (I know they're weak to water too, and Rajang is different, but I hope I'm making some sort of sense), and that is what the zamtrios armor is really weak to.

Edit 2: It's like bringing a Zinogre set to fight Kushala Daora. Thunder is one of Daora's weaknesses, but Daora uses ice, which is what the armor sucks against.

Okay, I'm not a total noob but I definitely am feeling like it compared to you guys lol. What is Rathian S?

Destroyer = what effect?

Haha! Sorry, with most armors there are different levels of armor, so there's Rathian, Rathian S, Rathian X, and EX Rathian. It should say "Rathian Helm" or "Rathian Helm S" for your headpiece, for example, and my suggestions for the armor would change depending on which you're using.

Destroyer makes it easier to break parts of monsters, those times where you get the nice crashing sound effect and the monster looks a little, well, broken.

And I realize now I might've been reading the stats for the Zamtrios S set... in which case, if you have regular Zamtrios armor, gem up for health.

Alright, but my question is, say that you're using the zamtrios armor, and it comes with the added elemental attack, but it is also extremely weak to fire, would that added boost of ice element be worth it when taking on something like a Gravios (which uses the element your armor is weak to) or some other monster that's weak to ice in order for that skill to take effect?

In my head, that early on the elemental resistances weren't super important unless they were pushing passed -10.

Haha! Sorry, with most armors there are different levels of armor, so there's Rathian, Rathian S, Rathian X, and EX Rathian. It should say "Rathian Helm" or "Rathian Helm S" for your headpiece, for example, and my suggestions for the armor would change depending on which you're using.

Destroyer makes it easier to break parts of monsters, those times where you get the nice crashing sound effect and the monster looks a little, well, broken.

I'm using the first rathian. I'm still pretty early on.

Destroyer sounds good. I noticed I was having a hard time breaking some parts when fighting Rathian and Gore.

I'm using the first rathian. I'm still pretty early on.

Destroyer sounds good. I noticed I was having a hard time breaking some parts when fighting Rathian and Gore.

I think I might've been reading the Zamtrios S stuff, sorry.

Ok so for the first Rathian, you'll want to get that health up to +15 points (it comes with +12), which shouldn't be too hard, and get one decoration to get rid of the -Rec Speed part.

For the first Zamtrios armor, get your health up to +10 (it comes with +6), and gem out the Raise Hunger skill. Actually if you have enough materials, you might be able to get the health up to +15.

Weird how similar those armors are!

I think I might've been reading the Zamtrios S stuff, sorry.

Ok so for the first Rathian, you'll want to get that health up to +15 points (it comes with +12), which shouldn't be too hard, and get one decoration to get rid of the -Rec Speed part.

For the first Zamtrios armor, get your health up to +10 (it comes with +6), and gem out the Raise Hunger skill. Actually if you have enough materials, you might be able to get the health up to +15.

Weird how similar those armors are!

Yeah, they're pretty similar. That's how I ended up getting both of them lol.

I'll look in to those gems. Is it worth gemming out Raise Hunger if most of my fights are relatively short? Seems like it's only an issue in more drawn out fights.

Yeah, they're pretty similar. That's how I ended up getting both of them lol.

I'll look in to those gems. Is it worth gemming out Raise Hunger if most of my fights are relatively short? Seems like it's only an issue in more drawn out fights.

I guess that's your call. Personally I get fed up with losing stamina quicker, but then I realized the Zamtrios set comes with Carnivore which kinda renders the point moot.

jorgejjvr

I guess that's your call. Personally I get fed up with losing stamina quicker, but then I realized the Zamtrios set comes with Carnivore which kinda renders the point moot.

Would you say the general consensus is that HG earplugs is greater than speed sharpening and divine protection combined? I recall asking this before but I don't know >.< I haven't really used HG earplugs and wonder how useful it really is in a hunt (IG user).

-Alternis

Alright, sounds good. Thanks to the both of you. Guess I'll do some further research myself now that I've been steered in the right direction.

Would you say the general consensus is that HG earplugs is greater than speed sharpening and divine protection combined? I recall asking this before but I don't know >.< I haven't really used HG earplugs and wonder how useful it really is in a hunt (IG user).

-Alternis

Dude, he's super early in the game. Certainly no way to get Earplugs let alone HG without a specific armor for it, definitely not Divine Protection...

Unless you're asking for yourself! In which case HG is the way to go. Sharpening can be done by exiting the area and taking a breather away from the monster, and Divine Protection is really only effective if you stack it with Felyne Defender and/or a Defense honed weapon, I've found. Meanwhile I can ignore monster roars even while mounting, and some monsters (Gravios comes to mind) have ridiculously long roar times in which you get stupid amounts of free damage/tripping action.

Tzmhero

It's the High Rank Rathian armor. Once you get to High Rank, Monsters start dropping the + versions of some carves, and other new carves that allow you to create better versions of their armors. Right now I'm working on a Tetsucabra S armor set that will have about twice as much defense as my current Grvios armor set.

Wolfe

Actual discussion going on in here (I mean aside from the usual banter), nice to see lol.

Is there any way to get rid of the Hunters for Hire in my hall? Deleted their guild cards and it didn't do anything. Got three dudes with the dumbest names sitting there atm.

Pretty sure that if they're currently shown in your hall that deleting their guild card will only cause them to not show up once you cycle the current hunters for hire out. That way they don't just magically disappear I assume.

So just send one of them out and once they cycle out (when the one you sent returns) they'll be completely gone from your list and unable to show up again.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, just how I assume it works based off my own observations while playing.

Tarps

Just spent 5 days farming for a GS armor set only to realise that I should have been aiming for CRITICAL draw, and not punish draw! &#128556;

Ah well, got some good gear regardless, and I'm only a few hunts away from Gold crown.

Shengar

Making HBG armor set is pretty limited due to the required skills it needs in order to function properly. So I try to broaden my selection of weapon besides the famous one, like Destiny's Arm and Gravios Gigacannon for pierce HBG. One weapon that I deemed worthy and can make my set working is Agna Scorpion:
20150628134759.png

This mixed set is a modification from tuffy's Grisscanon HBG set in which I replace Gogma arm with Diablos X arm for the perce up and sheathing skill. The result isn't that bad I think. The upside of this set from Destiny's Arm is that it doesn't have negative affinity that might screw up your damage output. It also have 20+ defense, and if you honed it for defense, you will get as much as 80+ which I think would work really well with Adrenaline+2 (I mean, instead of getting one shotted you have some health left so the skill can activate). The downside is the potential damage output mucyh smaller if you able to negate out Destiny's Arm negative affinity. It also have smaller clip, 5 ammo as opposed to Destiny's Arm 6 clip for all pierce shots, and since Agna Scorpion have slow reload speed, it might be rather crippling. Nevertheless, I like the set of skills that I can get from this set. Plus I can use different HBG from the usual ones which I found rather boring and very limiting in gameplay perspective.

But that doesn't mean I'm anti-Destiny's Arm though, since I somehow managed to get this full HBG Set that work rather well:

20150628134314.png

I can use Destiny's Arm with the above set for the best damage output potential, but I guess this set beside being a full one that doesn't make look like a clown (though the above sets doesn't look that bad either), it'll be good for monsters with short rage up time like Zinogre (it might be better use normal shot for them though).

After our discussion earlier I've read up a bit on armor skills and I think I've got a better idea of how best to configure things now. That said, I think it's likely there's lots of information I'm still missing. Anyone got a link to an especially good guide to how these things work, or a list of especially good example armor sets for low rank?

Anteo

After our discussion earlier I've read up a bit on armor skills and I think I've got a better idea of how best to configure things now. That said, I think it's likely there's lots of information I'm still missing. Anyone got a link to an especially good guide to how these things work, or a list of especially good example armor sets for low rank?

There is not much info about skills in low rank because the seleciton is pretty limited. You could always check an armor, see if the skills/resistance would help you in any way and get said armor. Try to gem out any negative skills too.

In high rank you will have much better options, including the mixed Gore set (head, arms and legs from high rank, chest and pants from low rank) which helps a ton with sharpness +1 (further increases the sharpness bar of your weapon, the weapon may even go up one color) but it comes with both negative resistance to fire and a negative skill that further decreases the defense to fire. You will have to use a fire resistence talisman (not enough slots to gem out the skill) and eat fire def food to fight certain monsters like gravios.

Edit: These are the armors I used until near the end of High Rank

Low Rank
Ranged:
Tetsu (Def+)
Daren Mohran (Pierce+)

Melee
Velociprey (physic, always see the monsters on the minimap, no need for paintballs)
Rathalos (Increased Fire attack)
Brachydios (slime+bombs)
Gore (Biology and Spirit skills)

High Rank

Ranged
Jaggy (Attack+, Reload Speed+)
Soul Rath (Earplugs)

Melee
Velociprey (physic)
Qurupeco (Mostly support with Wide range, Horn Maestr, Capture Guru)
Mixed Gore (Sharpness +1)
Brachydios (Slime)
Rath Heart (Windproof)
Lagiacrus (Awaken, Weakness Exploit)

Note that there arent all the skills these armore have to offer, just the most important ones that I wanted.

Amethyst went full rainbow.

So the last blademaster weapon I never really got around to using was the SNS. Good fun, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I like weapons that have a big, wind-up finisher and that hop back move just isn't doing it for me. But it's really easy to get a few hits in, get out of the way, reposition and keep whacking away. I'm just using the Star Knight armor with it since that's a good blademaster set overall, unless there's something else to consider when it comes to SNS.

Also I've sunk 515 hours into this game. Goddamn.

tuffy

So many weapon, so many build, but I don't know which monster should tackle for the testing.
I've been testing my pierce shot sets on Seltas Queen. She's reasonably large, moves slowly much of the time, has few ranged attacks, and is very satisfying to break apart. For normal shots I'll pick on somebody with really weak shot hitzones, like Congalala's or Rathian's heads.

Top Bottom