• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Shengar

Might need some help tonight after work farming for items to upgrade my LS collection.

Nearing end of caravan LR quests.

What's the perk for completing all caravan quests high n low?
There are important gameplay component that can only be unlocked by progressing caravan quest. One such thing is Wystone.

tuffy

Completing every single low rank Caravan quest allows use of the color-changing rainbow pigment.

Completing every single high rank Caravan quest gives something less useful. The Master's parasol, maybe?

Hey guys, I have a question. I have to sell my N3DSXL that is the MH4U edition, and I was wondering if the game is tied to the system itself or is the person buying not going to be able to redownload it on the eshop?

It came preloaded on to the system when I bought it new so that's why I was wondering if that was the case or not. Sounds like it doesn't stay with the system then.

Oh, I'd poke around and let others weigh in. I'm only assuming it'd be tied to your account since you sign in with your NNID on the system when first making the system.

Oh, I'd poke around and let others weigh in. I'm only assuming it'd be tied to your account since you sign in with your NNID on the system when first making the system.

Yeah I'm not 100% sure either because I didn't make a NNID account when I got the system because I had sold my older 3DSXL a few months before and waited a few days to get a reply back from Nintendo about transferring my old NNID onto this new system. I just called them up after no response and had it done through an online chat help.

ChrisD

So my brother and I are now both G-Rank! Kind of. Still need to get his Ukanlos, but the batteries in both systems were dying. He'll go down easy, so I'm just counting it as done.

Dalamadur is the greatest example of, "good in theory, poor execution," I've ever seen in Monster Hunter. I love fighting Jhen and Dah'ren, and they're some of the most basic fights in this series. But Dalamadur is dropped down many, many notches due to two things: poor hitboxes with lots of clipping, and those fireballs. Cool music, at least. And he's still a freaking mountain snake, so I didn't mind fighting him twice. But I don't see myself farming him, even if I do really want that Hammer of his.

Tetsucabra Armor for entering G-Rank, right?

spiritfox

If you are confident enough and like the skills, you can make do with your HR armor (upgraded with armor spheres) until you get to Seregios and then make Regios X. If not, Velociprey is also a good alternative.

Wolfe

Really looking forward to finally being able to make G-rank gold rathian armor, shit looks dope XD

Also I don't mind the EX rebellion being high rank as it'll just be nice to make that armor (the skin specifically) given that I gave up on the relic armor of the same look and have moved on to Damascus since.

I'm thinking of dropping this down to Evade+2 so that I can use any SA without slots, thoughts?
f14a7d3ea921331c459994b2c1487f1e.png

How much does it cost you to put it at Evade +2, slotwise? Would you be better off dropping it to +1 and maybe gemming in something else, or is that not feasible?

Looks like the only three other abilities I could gem in would be Crit Eye+1, Heat Cancel, and Water Atk+1, so basically Evade+2 is the best of those options for general purposes.

Tips for tigrex? Can I use a normal R block with charged shield to stop the charges?

**Managed to beat the low rank double frenzied tigrex quest hurray

I just found a +5 Evasion / +10 Bomb Boost charm, my evade lancer is weeping with joy. Might even be able to use it with my SnS Teostra's Emblem set as well, but I'd have to double-check.

Wiseblade

I tried to pick the lance back up after not touching it since 3U. It did not go well. So poorly in fact, I'm left wondering why I'd ever bring it to a hunt over the Charge Blade.

Yeah, it's a bit annoying. And Star Knight coming out on the 17th is just urgh. I want that set already. :/

I know, it's so awesome. But I can't, everyone will use it! :C

Really looking forward to finally being able to make G-rank gold rathian armor, shit looks dope XD

Also I don't mind the EX rebellion being high rank as it'll just be nice to make that armor (the skin specifically) given that I gave up on the relic armor of the same look and have moved on to Damascus since.

Yes, but I just wonder why they don't give us the G-Rank version with the great weapons also.

Wolfe

I know, it's so awesome. But I can't, everyone will use it! :C

Lol I feel ya dude, I'm honestly not very big on the look of the armor which is the main reason I wont be using it, will likely work a few of the pieces into a mixed set at some point though.

Yes, but I just wonder why they don't give us the G-Rank version with the great weapons also.

Yeah I agree that leaving end game content locked behind timed release DLC is stupid, leaves people with unfinished weapons and gear sets they have to wait to make and at that point they might not even be worth using depending on the person.

Edit: New G turns room!

14-2722-8175-5045

Wolfe

No but no one showed up so I closed it lol, now I can't double check that I wrote all the info down correctly :p

Lets try again:

66-5162-6392-6693

jorgejjvr

Lol I feel ya dude, I'm honestly not very big on the look of the armor which is the main reason I wont be using it, will likely work a few of the pieces into a mixed set at some point though.

Yeah I agree that leaving end game content locked behind timed release DLC is stupid, leaves people with unfinished weapons and gear sets they have to wait to make and at that point they might not even be worth using depending on the person.

Edit: New G turns room!

14-2722-8175-5045

But people don't wear Star Knight for the looks? I've always used it because it's an amazing IG set with remarkable skills with the ability to add pretty much whichever skill(s) you desire. I couldn't care less about how it looks, and honestly the only reason I use that more than my awesome Dokudodo set is that in general people prefer me as an IG for countless quick and easy mounts.

-Alternis

Edit: My apologies, I misread it. I thought you said that you're not big on the look of armors in general. Either way, do looks really matter so much to the extent that you miss out on great skills?

co1onel

But people don't wear Star Knight for the looks? I've always used it because it's an amazing IG set with remarkable skills with the ability to add pretty much whichever skill(s) you desire. I couldn't care less about how it looks, and honestly the only reason I use that more than my awesome Dokudodo set is that in general people prefer me as an IG for countless quick and easy mounts.

-Alternis

Edit: My apologies, I misread it. I thought you said that you're not big on the look of armors in general. Either way, do looks really matter so much to the extent that you miss out on great skills?

It's not like skills are necessary for beating any monsters, so yes looks are way more important to me.

Wolfe

No you're right it doesn't matter, and I'll still make it either way as the parts should work well for mix sets at the very least.

Don't get me wrong the skills and slots it offers are beyond great, if it looked more appealing to me I'd be rocking it all the time.

After a several month hiatus I came back and finally managed to kill Daimyo Hermitaur. Turned out to not be so hard in the end, just hits like a truck. On to high rank. Yaaaay! What's a good armour set to aim for if you're a bow user?

Rafavert

After a several month hiatus I came back and finally managed to kill Daimyo Hermitaur. Turned out to not be so hard in the end, just hits like a truck. On to high rank. Yaaaay! What's a good armour set to aim for if you're a bow user?

I feel you...! I had a lot of problems with Daimyo as well.

Personally, I love Kut-kut. Stamina is awesome for bow and Expert is all right, specially if you get Seregios Bow which has some natural affinity.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What's so special about the Star Knight stuff? And why is the community so divided?

Also decided to start playing again after finishing PADZ. Started using CB fresh. I was trying to take down a Tigrex and Khezu (LR stuff). My issue with CB right now is learning how to be mobile and when to switch modes. I'm so used to Hammer, ha.

What's so special about the Star Knight stuff? And why is the community so divided?

Star knight has this built in naturally:

Rodeo God
Challenger+2
Steady Hand

and four points in Handicraft. It also has a wopping 11 slots, three pieces having three slots for jewels. So it's stupid easy to get Sharpness+1 in, especially if you have a Handicraft charm.

So some people see it being OP, mostly because of the Challenger+2/Steady Hand/Sharpness combo. If you're using an IQ, Rodeo God is icing on the cake (actually it's pretty good for nearly any weapon, but it just works best on IG). But it's weird because you can get basically the same thing with the Doku set, which gets Honed Blade/Razor Sharp/Challenger+2 with the right charm.

tuffy

Here's what Star Knight offers as full sets:
Tons of slots, Challenger +2, Mounting God, Edge Lore or Load Up, points in Handicraft or points in Unscathed, positive resistances all around.

The division is mostly because it was limited to people who visited Universal Studios Japan (or who could get it via proxy servers), so the 17th is when it's finally being rolled out to everybody.

Leezard

I think Star Knight is a great set but if you are not an IG user you can do mixed sets that perform better, as Rodeo God is not very useful on most weapons. If you don't need sharpness+1 then you have 4 more wasted skill points in the set, and only having steady hand/challenger+2 is not very impressive.

As a full set it's probably the best general use set in the game though.

Wiseblade

So some people see it being OP, mostly because of the Challenger+2/Steady Hand/Sharpness combo. If you're using an IQ, Rodeo God is icing on the cake (actually it's pretty good for nearly any weapon, but it just works best on IG). But it's weird because you can get basically the same thing with the Doku set, which gets Honed Blade/Razor Sharp/Challenger+2 with the right charm.
The difference is that Dokudomi uses a charm and most of its slots to get Razor Sharp and Challenger+2, while Star Knight will retain most of its slots after adding Sharpness+1 with a good charm.

Star Knight is essentially a better version of Seregios X, which was already a good set.

upandaway

I think Star Knight is a great set but if you are not an IG user you can do mixed sets that perform better, as Rodeo God is not very useful on most weapons. If you don't need sharpness+1 then you have 4 more wasted skill points in the set, and only having steady hand/challenger+2 is not very impressive.

As a full set it's probably the best general use set in the game though.
Dunno about that, it's not easy to take a full set, take the least useful skill and switch it with a useful skill for a mixed set. At the very least you lose a lot in slots to achieve that, negating the whole point.

Leezard

Dunno about that, it's not easy to take a full set, take the least useful skill and switch it with a useful skill for a mixed set. At the very least you lose a lot in slots to achieve that, negating the whole point.

Not necessarily, it's not difficult if you use Athena's ASS and know what you are looking for on some level. My general use mixed GS set has

Challenger +2
Critical Draw
Rock Steady
Razor Sharp
Focus
and 4 slots (one with torso up) so that I can get any 5-slot skill such as Tremor Res, Bio researcher, Mushromancer or similar.

Granted, this set uses two GX Hunter pieces, so it will not be possible for most people until another month or two, but there still exist a lot of interesting alternatives. It's still far beyond what you could fit into a SK set, and it's essentially SK without Rodeo God and Mind's Eye, and Mind's Eye is useless against most monsters in endgame.

In most cases the sets won't be that versatile, which is a strength for the SK set. When you have found your end game weapons though I think it is more useful to build custom sets for these weapons specifically. The above set is used for a natural purple relic weapon.

Top Bottom