• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tuffy

Is Pierce 2 shot really that important?
All the speedrunners seem to lead off with it, it seems like.

I'll start fights using pierce 2 simply because Bird Wyvern Fangs can be bought in bulk from the Wycoon, unlike pierce 3's Pin Tuna that require a bunch of time at the fishing machine.

Man, trying to grind through all the low rank quests to just get my damn holographic colors. More of a slog than I thought it would be due to new quest lines popping up so much. The quests are easy though. At least it's helping me expand the wycuarium thing and other stuff... almost there.

Tom_Cody

I think I might finally be done...

Last night I had a completely free night and this is the first time in months that I didn't spend that time on Monster Hunter. I'm either ready to move on, or I'm just ready to have a healthier relationship with the game, lol.

I think I might ignore Guild Quests entirely and instead focus on finishing up my quest log. I only have ~20 quests left spread between high rank and g rank.

Wiseblade

Last night I had a completely free night and this is the first time in months that I didn't spend that time on Monster Hunter. I'm either ready to move on, or I'm just ready to have a healthier relationship with the game, lol.

I think I might ignore Guild Quests entirely and instead focus on finishing up my quest log. I only have ~20 quests left spread between high rank and g rank.
Sounds more like you just need to pick up a new weapon.

upandaway

There comes that point where you stop playing for "things", and the need to play it every waking moment stops, but I usually still end up playing weekly sessions with GAF for months on months afterwards, just doing random quests for fun.

Or you could pull a Festwill and start a new character

Tom_Cody

There comes that point where you stop playing for "things", and the need to play it every waking moment stops, but I usually still end up playing weekly sessions with GAF for months on months afterwards, just doing random quests for fun.
That is probably what will end up happening. Completely aside from the acquisition aspects, it's still just a really fun game.

Sounds more like you just need to pick up a new weapon.
Don't temp me, lol. The rational part of me knows that my life will be better off without Monster Hunter.

tuffy

That reminds me I should get back to working on my LBG-only test hunter.

It's crazy how far into the game you need to go before useful rapid-fire shots start showing up. In 3 Ultimate you'd get rapid-fire pellet 1 as soon as the Cross Bowgun+ which is the very first upgrade from iron ores and bones. You could have it before hitting Great Jaggi. But in 4 Ultimate you don't get rapid-fire pellet until the Drome guns, and rapid-fire normal shot doesn't show up until Rathalos.

The developers seemingly want you to use it like a more maneuverable HBG for a few hours before finally bringing out the weapon's distinguishing feature. Very strange.

Shengar

I only use level 3 when the monster is gigantic, and level 1 if level 2 runs out. I feel like using all 3 shots to their full potential is way too inconsistent for me.

The main point is that the higher the level, the more damage you do, but also the less damage each hit does. So 2 strikes a nice balance for me between not being too difficult to pull off versus the dps.

All the speedrunners seem to lead off with it, it seems like.

I'll start fights using pierce 2 simply because Bird Wyvern Fangs can be bought in bulk from the Wycoon, unlike pierce 3's Pin Tuna that require a bunch of time at the fishing machine.
I see. I'm asking this since yesterday I just found out that Militant Dalamadur have top tier stats: 480 damage, 55+ def, triple slots, and zero affinity. The main problem is: it can't shoot lvl 2 shots, from Normal to Pellet. Shame it was crippled by the selection of ammo.

Though I've yet surrender. My best setup for Militant Dalamadur is full Hermitaur Z with Recoil+6 OOO charms that where I managed to get Evade Extender and PierceS+ Lv2. But I don't if this is on par with my Destiny's Arm set. If only I could get a Pierce+8 OO or Brutality+2 EvadeDist+3 OOO charn....

So I just got a relic LS, 1023 base attack with three slots and Awaken-ice at 440. Now my question is, does sharpness ever increase with ranking them up? Even with Sharpness+1 the base level only has an average white length, no purple. With no sharpness, it's basically got blue only.

tuffy

I see. I'm asking this since yesterday I just found out that Militant Dalamadur have top tier stats: 480 damage, 55+ def, triple slots, and zero affinity. The main problem is: it can't shoot lvl 2 shots, from Normal to Pellet. Shame it was crippled by the selection of ammo.

Though I've yet surrender. My best setup for Militant Dalamadur is full Hermitaur Z with Recoil+6 OOO charms that where I managed to get Evade Extender and PierceS+ Lv2. But I don't if this is on par with my Destiny's Arm set. If only I could get a Pierce+8 OO or Brutality+2 EvadeDist+3 OOO charn....
The Militant Dalamadur's attack power, slots and defense look so nice, but getting Use All Pierce S, Recoil Down +2 and Pierce Up leaves little room for anything else. It's a tall order for a weapon whose overall attack power is only about 4% better than the Destiny's Arm or Furia Sedition. Not to mention having a below average reload speed will be noticeably slower with pierce shots.

The whole HBG list is full of weapons that almost work for pierce shots but are crippled by some fatal flaw. The Ukanlos Skyblaster has a lot of attack power and doesn't need any Recoil Down at all, but its pierce 1/2 clip sizes are small and its reload speed is below average. The Agna Scorpion doesn't need Recoil Down either and its pierce clip sizes are decent, but its attack power is on the low side and its reload speed is downright slow. The Lightbreak Cannon also doesn't need Recoil Down, has decent pierce 2/3 clips and average reload speed, but its attack power is even worse than the Agna Scorpion.

I keep looking for some hidden gem in the list of craftable HBGs, but it's hard to find anything better for pierce shots than the usual trio of Destiny's Arm, Furia Sedition and Gravios Gigacannon.

So I just got a relic LS, 1023 base attack with three slots and Awaken-ice at 440. Now my question is, does sharpness ever increase with ranking them up? Even with Sharpness+1 the base level only has an average white length, no purple. With no sharpness, it's basically got blue only.

I've upgraded a weapon all the way with no increase in sharpness...

Edit: have room for 2 now.

ChrisD

I've played a lot less than the people here, but it seems those weapons you get from Guild Quests (If that's what you're talking) are definitely locked in when it comes to sharpness. Adds to the MMO-esque pull of Guild I guess?

I swear, if this Silver Los/Gold Ian in the same mission is a Key Quest I'm going to flip my lid. Played some as the first thing in the morning and figured I'd knock out Silver. 48:27. That's how long it took. Why? Because when I'm not impatient in this game I'm apparently too safe. The stupid thing would never land, so I was on the ground with my Hammer walking around for minutes on end. Very annoying way to start the day off.

I then took care of Dahren, Akantor, and Teostra. The former two went down easy. Teostra was a bit of a pain, taking four attempts before finally killing him. I switched to a heavy-Dragon hammer on the successful hunt, so I guess that's what I'll stick with against him until I get a nice Water Hammer. All-in-all, things were great.

Were. Because I just finished the day taking care of the Gold Ian quest. It was pulling the same stunts as Silver. It refused to land. So I tried to get some hits in here-and-there, until I finally just got impatient. And the no-tell charges really did me in for doing that, as in the end I had spent forty healing items, three Steam Bombs, two Traps, and I was on half a bar of health when that thing finally dropped its lousy butt to the ground.

So. I'm glad it's out of the way, but that was one of the most annoying fights I've had in MH4U. Or P3rd. Or 3U.

TL;DR: Basically, screw Gold Rathian.

co1onel

Sharpness can't be upgraded on relic weapons. Each relic weapon upgrades in attack, defense OR affinity, and can always be upgraded three times. Here's a useful pic that shows the possible sharpness patterns with purple.

Shengar

Whoop, I just finished a 140 double Rajang GQ without cart with only three randoms. I must said that it's quite satisfying the witty host gave me a way to dealt with GQ where there are two apex monsters: smoke bombs.

Finally I can upgrade all my rathalos and rathian gear that's been stuck in high hell.

Yeah, not to mention that now we'll be able to craft their G Rank armor too.

Kater

Banned
So happy about the news of G-Rank Goldie and Silver Rath. And Star Knight armour, yess.

What?

EDIT : Cool that we're getting G-Rank Gold and Silver couple, maybe I'll finally get a Rathalos mantle lel.
I got around 4 Rathalos mantles alone from doing the Sovereign of the Sky(G2*) subquest (and ending via subquest) over and over. Good way to farm his rare parts, Armour Spheres and charms very quickly.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So happy about the news of G-Rank Goldie and Silver Rath. And Star Knight armour, yess.

I got around 4 Rathalos mantles alone from doing the Sovereign of the Sky(G2*) subquest (and ending via subquest) over and over. Good way to farm his rare parts, Armour Spheres and charms very quickly.
The mantles don't appear on kiranico in the subquest rewards list but I'll believe you! The lure of easy armour spheres is strong.

tuffy

So the video preview for the July DLC is up.

G Gold Rathian, Silver Los, and Star Knight, plus Episodic Quests. High Rank everywhere otherwise. Thing is: Star Knight will be available to hunt for on July 17th.
One thing that might be overlooked is that we're finally getting a high rank dual Basarios event. Those parts turn up in a lot of decorations so it'll be nice to have a proper quest for them without having to resort to expeditions or Guild Quests.

Renewed

One thing that might be overlooked is that we're finally getting a high rank dual Basarios event. Those parts turn up in a lot of decorations so it'll be nice to have a proper quest for them without having to resort to expeditions or Guild Quests.

That's something I can look forward to. Haven't been hunting nearly enough Basarios. Although before that, I need to get my friend to G Special Permit. Differing schedules suck...

Also looking at the Gold Rath / Silver Los gear, I might be inclined to give it a try.

What's weird is in the reddit thread, a lot of people saying "yeah the star knight armor is ok but it's not great." I swear that's just a mental defensive mechanism since it won't be out tomorrow.

Greddleok

I've got to the point that I feel like I should be soloing all the guild quests because I started out that way. It's not impossible (far from it with some) but it's painful.

Need to force myself out of this shitty mentality.

Need to force myself out of this shitty mentality.

Do you not play online? Tons of us will fight with you.

Also today's Rajang hunt yielded a GS with base 1248, 700 fire, +20 defense, and +5 nimbleness. Excellent white, and a good chunk of purple with sharpness+1. Pretty damn happy with that.

tm24

What's weird is in the reddit thread, a lot of people saying "yeah the star knight armor is ok but it's not great." I swear that's just a mental defensive mechanism since it won't be out tomorrow.

Man, you thought complains about regios X were bad, wait for the SK complaints. The ones i already get in randoms are brutal enough

Reading Reddit sometimes makes me feel like, okay, what armor can I wear that won't have people complaining about me.

Also, anyone doing anything? I'd like to try out my new Eldaora's Hornet.

ChrisD

Reading Reddit sometimes makes me feel like, okay, what armor can I wear that won't have people complaining about me.

Also, anyone doing anything? I'd like to try out my new Eldaora's Hornet.

I remember back on Tri I ran Great Jaggi armor for most of my play time. Did the entire story mode in it and then most of online. By the time I started reaching higher quests though I had to change, because otherwise everybody left on me. Many of them first calling me noob (lol) for the armor choice or even insulting my intelligence (LOL).

I just liked my Attack Up L and had grown accustomed to the looks. Don't be hatin'.

Might need some help tonight after work farming for items to upgrade my LS collection.

Nearing end of caravan LR quests.

What's the perk for completing all caravan quests high n low?

Top Bottom