• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tuffy

Didn't the Japanese version of MH4 also have hacked quests that wound up corrupting people's save files? I think those wound up getting patched out eventually.

Why's he mad about it?
Gaijin said:
I am against them. For a depreciated game I think they are fine but teaching people how to tamper with a game that is very much a product in service, is wrong.
(I feel giving access to tampered content is similar in vain to telling them how to create tampered content. You are still, at the end of the day, teaching people how to mess with servers and stuff that they should not be messing with, and the game is a service in operation and CAPCOM does not appreciate another team of people trying to create and release content during that period, trust me)
The team at Capcom are working very hard to generate cool DLC and release them to us, tampering with the game is basically telling them "the hell with you and your quests I'll make my own!". While I totally get that people are just having fun with the game, it was not designed to be used like a tool and there is a huge online component so any tampering leads to unfair usage of it.
So from now on I will not be promoting or linking out to Kiranico or other sites that promote it. Do as you wish but this is the stance I personally will be taking.
Happy hunting!

I can't say I agree with him, though. Saying that they're working very hard to generate cool DLC when it's mostly translation at this stage is a little much (not to discredit the work 8-4 is doing), unless they're doing special DLC for the JP version that I don't know about. Even still, I have a feeling this was generated in good faith to have stupid, unbalanced fun, and I can't say I blame people who use it to access missions that aren't possible yet.

On that note, tm24 if you happen to be on tonight, I would appreciate a few runs at G-Dalamadur.

tm24

After gaijinhunter's dumbass response to the proxy dlc, i knew his custom dlc response would equally be as dumb.

And yeah, sure, I can do some hosting later. Lets get some help from others

I don't agree with his line of thinking, but I kind of agree that hacks like that shouldn't be accepted in an online-focused game.

I say this as someone who has spent way too many hours in way too many online games over the years. I've been conditioned to react negatively to such things.

Kater

Banned
Didn't the Japanese version of MH4 also have hacked quests that wound up corrupting people's save files? I think those wound up getting patched out eventually.
Yeah, it's definitely a risk and you risk a lot, depending on if it's your main save. :p I still took the risk though.

Also, that giant Deviljho is a real challenge. Carted all three of us after a long time of evading and hacking away at his toes. :p
I can't say I agree with him, though. Saying that they're working very hard to generate cool DLC when it's mostly translation at this stage is a little much, unless they're doing special DLC for the JP version that I don't know about. Even still, I have a feeling this was generated in good faith to have stupid, unbalanced fun, and I can't say I blame people who use it to access missions that aren't possible yet.

On that note, tm24 if you happen to be on tonight, I would appreciate a few runs at G-Dalamadur.

I feel it's more like people modding the game who are already done with the special quest and wanting some fun challenge, as you said too. And hey, modding is always a bit of a gamble, I lost so much play time on PC with modding. But it was worth the fun I had with the mods themselves.

deim0s

Hunting Silver Rathalos with randoms all is well and expected.

But hunting Gold Rathian, something about the poisoned tail that makes people run around like chickens.

I really wish I could figure out what was wrong, why I drop after every mission.

Bah, I give up. One open. Thanks TM, I got just enough mats to make the Fatalis SA.

jorgejjvr

I need to make a moral choice and choose between Golden Lune or Star Knight.

Star Knight has Rodeo God, Challenger +2, Steady Hand, Sharpness +1, and HG Earplugs.

Golden Lune has Miraculous Luck, Capture Expert, Sharpness +1, Partbreaker, and Divine Blessing.

-Alternis

PrankT

Star Knight has Rodeo God, Challenger +2, Steady Hand, Sharpness +1, and HG Earplugs.

Golden Lune has Miraculous Luck, Capture Expert, Sharpness +1, Partbreaker, and Divine Blessing.

-Alternis
Star Knight is far better.

Just hunted my first ever Chameleos. I thought I would hate it when I heard about its gimmick and saw it was purple with googly eyes.

Then the music started playing and (poison aside) I grew to love it. Time to make Grand Mizuha armor.

tuffy

I've always considered Golden Lune to be purely as a farming set. Basically saying "this fight is not very hard, so it's safe to forego attack skills in favor of rewards skills". It's not something I'd use all the time.

co1onel

Capcom has handled the dlc releases terribly, making me wait several months to fight monsters that I should have been able to from the get go. Lots of people have been at end-game for awhile now, yet they're just now starting to release grank dlc quests, so clearly capcom's timing isn't lining up with lots of players. The worst part is that now I already have relics that are better than some of the weapons that the dlc monsters give, so there's very little reason for me to make the gold rathian sns for example. Capcom has no one but themselves to blame for people trying to get free content that's already on the cartridge early.

The complaints about the custom quests in specific make little sense to me. These are challenging and fun quests made for people who have already done all the other content, and want something new that capcom will never put out themselves.

-Alternis
Why not make both? Both sets have different purposes.

Wanderer5

Welp time to work on the new DLC... eventually.XD I definitely want to checkout the star knight armor sometime through.

Meanwhile got some Monster Hunter goodies at Anime AX, a brachydios shirt, two fyline pins (zinogre and seltas armor), and the 2nd artbook of the series, which is soooooooooo good. I guessing they waiting to release Cross before putting out the 3rd one.

Vuze

Modified Guild Quests are still not patched out and possible in 4U. The save corruption is a myth. Unless you modified the quests on your own and were stupid enough not to backup your save before doing so. There never was any harm in joining these quests.
I can't say I agree with him, though. Saying that they're working very hard to generate cool DLC when it's mostly translation at this stage is a little much (not to discredit the work 8-4 is doing), unless they're doing special DLC for the JP version that I don't know about..
All DLC quests have been completely finished and wrapped up even before the game was released in Japan.
Capcom has handled the dlc releases terribly, making me wait several months to fight monsters that I should have been able to from the get go. Lots of people have been at end-game for awhile now, yet they're just now starting to release grank dlc quests, so clearly capcom's timing isn't lining up with lots of players. The worst part is that now I already have relics that are better than some of the weapons that the dlc monsters give, so there's very little reason for me to make the gold rathian sns for example. Capcom has no one but themselves to blame for people trying to get free content that's already on the cartridge early.

The complaints about the custom quests in specific make little sense to me. These are challenging and fun quests made for people who have already done all the other content, and want something new that capcom will never put out themselves.
Amen.

As much as I love MH, Capcom has clearly been failing when it comes to putting out certain G-rank versions of monsters since release.

I personally haven't tried the custom DLC yet, but good on those who want to give it a go.

upandaway

Personally I don't care much for custom quests because I like thinking of it as a cohesive world, no problem with others doing whatever they want

Shengar

Check the front page on kiranico. Things like fighting ukanlos and akantor in one arena.
Ah I see, thanks
That sounds like the most sadistic fight I've ever heard of.
No, this is much more sadistic
"G-rank Teostra and Stygian Zinogre at Ingle Isle"

Personally I don't care much for custom quests because I like thinking of it as a cohesive world, no problem with others doing whatever they want

An Akantor and an Ukanlos at Ingle Isle is far from cohesive world though.
All of the quest I see so far is just for stupid fun and not to be taken seriously, only as a challenge of some sort

Anyway, I don't object people having stupid fun like this. Level 140 Guild Quest most of the time are just stress test than fun. But I can understand why some people like GH object to "hacking" like this. Mostly for myself, it is a bad precedent of some sort. I don't know how far you can edit the quest component, but I can imagine it'll allows you to easy farm rare materials like mantles, which is to be frank ultimately defeat the purpose of the game. The idea of custom quest is cool though, maybe Capcom will found a way to introduce it later in future installment.

upandaway

An Akantor and an Ukanlos at Ingle Isle is far from cohesive world though.
Yeah um that's what I'm also saying!

I don't mind at all that custom quests make farming easier. Hacking has been in MH and in online games in general for forever and as long as those people aren't playing with me they can go nuts, make OHKO weapons all day.

upandaway

Actually a cool way to incorporate custom quests into the game would be to build on the arena counter quests. Make your own arena quests, which solves the loot problem since it's all coins, and should still be a good substitute for people who are doing custom quests for the silly fun/challenge.

Shengar

Yeah um that's what I'm also saying!

I don't mind at all that custom quests make farming easier. Hacking has been in MH and in online games in general for forever and as long as those people aren't playing with me they can go nuts, make OHKO weapons all day.
Yeah, if you have group of friends or community to play with, that makes thing a whole lot of easier. But if you don't, that makes it even harder to play with randoms.
Actually a cool way to incorporate custom quests into the game would be to build on the arena counter quests. Make your own arena quests, which solves the loot problem since it's all coins, and should still be a good substitute for people who are doing custom quests for the silly fun/challenge.

It could be Free-for-all Arena quest where you enter with your gear and item or standard one with pre-determined set and item. Yeah, that would be cool.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Finally got my G-Crown! LMAO at the arcana skill on the Gogma set, awaken plus bonus to elemental and status damage. Nice.

Oh wow, Gaijin is convinced that capcom will stop putting out dlc if people use the modified quests.

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

Like maybe this is the "PC culture" talking in me but if it isn't breaking or corrupting the game, what's the harm in a little fun to make things easier on yourself? Hunt-a-thon Teostra would be hilarious! That Akantor/Ukanlos mission looks amazing. Why shouldn't people have tools to have a little fun when capcom is being so slow with this DLC updating?

Vuze

Oh wow, Gaijin is convinced that capcom will stop putting out dlc if people use the modified quests.

Like maybe this is the "PC culture" talking in me but if it isn't breaking or corrupting the game, what's the harm in a little fun to make things easier on yourself? Hunt-a-thon Teostra would be hilarious! That Akantor/Ukanlos mission looks amazing. Why shouldn't people have tools to have a little fun when capcom is being so slow with this DLC updating?

I don't get his stance either and reno/Andrew also thinks it's "disappointing" that the community in general supports the idea of custom quests. Maybe it's because I'm all-in for modding in general, maybe I'm just stupid, but the dev of the custom quest thingy must have spent a huge chunk of time to reverse-engineer the game to make this possible. If I was the developer of a game and people would love it to the extent that they put up with REing to add even more content and thus playtime, I'd feel honoured.

You know what is shocking? The 3DS being capable of running five Fatalis in the same area!

I welcome custom quests, but I fear that people will start hacking equipments too, and sooner or later Monster Hunter 4 will become a hack fest. :(

And I just fought Crimson Fatalis for the first time, it took us about 5 times but we did it! Such an amazing fight! And apparently there's a White Fatalis too. THIS GAME <3

Shengar

So... who do we follow other than Gaijin then? It's weird, I've been linking to his videos for so long, never paid attention to other people.

Why would you stopped "following" just because one differing opinion? I don't have to agree with all of his opinion, but I can still watch his video in case I want to learn a new weapon.

Anyway, custom quest will used by small subset of the players. While I don't have any problem on people who want to have stupid fun, I don't like the precedent of its either. The game isn't designed for custom questing and we know that each quest have different set of chance for their quest reward. Such quest could easily tinkered for (really) easy rare item farming such as mantles, which in the end ultimately defeat the purpose of what makes this game great. Is it wrong to cheat in coop game? I mean no one lose right? Yes it is, but it still rubs me very wrong. Things like hame at least still play within the rule of the game.

Even besides the precedent of cheat quest, I think there is a personal viewpoint from GH as a creator. He is after all, the producer of Kingdom Heart series IIRC. Seeing a game being used as it supposed not to maybe wrench his sensibilities as a creator.

The game already jampacked as it is. Personally I don't found the reason to fooling around with custom quest while myself still have yet to beat GQ140 Zinogre, Diablos, and numerous other monster. Though these quest are mostly stress test than fun.

I don't get his stance either and reno/Andrew also thinks it's "disappointing" that the community in general supports the idea of custom quests. Maybe it's because I'm all-in for modding in general, maybe I'm just stupid, but the dev of the custom quest thingy must have spent a huge chunk of time to reverse-engineer the game to make this possible. If I was the developer of a game and people would love it to the extent that they put up with REing to add even more content and thus playtime, I'd feel honoured.

There is no problem modding the heck out of a single player. But it is completely different matter for coop, especially the one that build around loot drop and craft such as MH. It is a coop game, yeah, but it still rub me the wrong way.

I welcome custom quests, but I fear that people will start hacking equipments too, and sooner or later Monster Hunter 4 will be a hack fest. :(

Well... I mean the game is already brokenable with a Powersave. Unless you mean hacking in impossible weapon damages and stuff.

Why would you stopped "following" just because one differing opinion? I don't have to agree with all of his opinion, but I can still watch his video in case I want to learn a new weapon.

Call it the straw that broke the camel's back. IMO he hasn't been putting out great content lately. I just don't want to support him with views any longer, that's all.

Such quest could easily tinkered for (really) easy rare item farming such as mantles, which in the end ultimately defeat the purpose of what makes this game great.

I don't think they actually affect drop rates from what I've seen. It's just modifications on monsters/locations.

There is no problem modding the heck out of a single player. But it is completely different matter for coop, especially the one that build around loot drop and craft such as MH. It is a coop game, yeah, but it still rub me the wrong way.

But it's not breaking anything in the game! It's just stupid fun, how is it actually harming the environment of Monster Hunter? If anything, it's produced greater challenges for people who have gone through the hardest stuff and are ready for more.

tuffy

But it's not breaking anything in the game! It's just stupid fun, how is it actually harming the environment of Monster Hunter? If anything, it's produced greater challenges for people who have gone through the hardest stuff and are ready for more.
I'm all for crazy event challenges featuring monsters of unusual size. But I'm not fond of what amounts to unauthorized 3rd party modifications to an active multiplayer game. I'd prefer quests to have some proper playtesting beforehand.
I just saw someone break a Lv140 Rajang out of apex with a paintball
This is rather clever. As I understand it, if one can inflict enough damage to knock him out of apex status during an uninterruptible move (like his continent throw), he'll stay in apex status. But any amount of damage on the next hit - even from a paintball - will be enough to break apex status.

Wanderer5

Meh won't bother with these silly quests. Just hope these don't start to cluster the looking for room search or such, which probably wouldn't?

jorgejjvr

Is 1711+ attack on a switch axe good? I decided to make my own set and I constructed 5 SA's which have 1711+ attack and positive affinity when Challenger +2 is activated. I made one axe for each element, and I know at least two have power phials. Dang, the Stygian and Nether axes look epic!

-Alternis

rdaneel72

200 hours in and I fought my first Deviljho (9* Caravan).

Is it me, or did they shrink Jho down a lot to fit in the 3DS? In Tri, Jho was a frightening encounter, showing up online to screw up all your well-laid plans. I don't think I even fought him in Tri. I would either dung bomb him, or flee.

But in 4U, he seemed so much less intimidating, and he went down way too easily. He looked puny, compared to what I remember from Tri. Am I mis-remebering?

Also, something that's been bothering me, what's the point of expeditions? Where is the fun in spending 20 minutes wailing on a monster, only to have it flee? Who thought that was a fun game mechanic? Makes me so angry!

jorgejjvr

Is it me, or did they shrink Jho down a lot to fit in the 3DS? In Tri, Jho was a frightening encounter, showing up online to screw up all your well-laid plans. I don't think I even fought him in Tri. I would either dung bomb him, or flee.

But in 4U, he seemed so much less intimidating, and he went down way too easily. He looked puny, compared to what I remember from Tri. Am I mis-remebering?

Also, something that's been bothering me, what's the point of expeditions? Where is the fun in spending 20 minutes wailing on a monster, only to have it flee? Who thought that was a fun game mechanic? Makes me so angry!

Expeditions allow you to gain quests of monsters that you can't normally fight, plus you can level up your the quests you gain from Expeditions to level 140, where even a velocidrome can one shot you. I don't think he's smaller, but they made Seregios the monster that pops up everywhere instead of him, that and the fact that you can mount him make him a lot less scary. If he actually did what he did in Tri and show up in every single quest, he would regain his reputation IMO.

-Alternis

Anyways, anyone doing hunts? Anyone need help with anything?

-jorgejjvr

tuffy

High rank Jho isn't a huge threat, especially if you're used to his moveset from earlier games. Not to mention a new monster has the duty of barging into quests, so he's not the everpresent pain he used to be. G rank and high level Guild Quest Jhos are more intimidating, but Savage Deviljho is the one that still gives me trouble.
I enjoy them for the free practice, like how I used to tackle whatever random stuff popped up in Moga Woods. I suppose the time limit is just to keep from wearing the monsters down through attrition, though I've yet to have something flee on me.

Top Bottom