• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

I hear it's best to evade rather than block his attacks.

-Alternis

MlWA77wvclEWFK-v5h

Done, and it was quite easy. I only died twice because it's been at least a month since I last used a lance.

But now I have unlocked a quest with three apex monsters, and one of them is my archenemy SEREGASS.

Time to make a new set, lol.

Wolfe

What up sucka fish! Time for another turns room (I'd say G turns but the first quest I'm posting will be HR lol).

Edit: closed.

I need a Zinogre mantle, and I have the time to hunt him over and over again until I get it.

This is the first time I've faced the desire sensor head-to-head. I've gotten the rare mats of other monsters that I didn't need, and this is the first time I need a rare mat.

jorgejjvr

I need a Zinogre mantle, and I have the time to hunt him over and over again until I get it.

This is the first time I've faced the desire sensor head-to-head. I've gotten the rare mats of other monsters that I didn't need, and this is the first time I need a rare mat.

Is there even such a thing as a Zinogre Mantle? I'm being completely serious, isn't his rare drop sky emeralds?

-Alternis

tuffy

Is there even such a thing as a Zinogre Mantle? I'm being completely serious, isn't his rate drop sky emeralds?
That's correct; Zinogre Mantles aren't a thing. Zinogre Skymeralds can also be traded for with VE Cosmic Tickets. So hunting with the same people often enough guarantees you'll be able to get one.

tuffy

This is perfect timing! I want that lance! But how do I get a Rusted Lance to start on the tree? Kiranico is totally unhelpful. I've gotten lances from Expeditions, but they're always rusted versions of named lances like Frontrider Lance. Does it have to be named exactly "Rusted Lance"?
It does! You'll find Rustshards either through mining or quest rewards, which randomly turn into one of the rusted weapons at the end of the quest. If you get lucky and wind up with a Rusted Lance, upgrade it and you're all set.

This is perfect timing! I want that lance! But how do I get a Rusted Lance to start on the tree? Kiranico is totally unhelpful. I've gotten lances from Expeditions, but they're always rusted versions of named lances like Frontrider Lance. Does it have to be named exactly "Rusted Lance"?

Thanks!

try mining the higher level low rank areas. Volcano and Ice areas should get your rusted weapons. I have more of these lances than i know what to do with, no GS though :(

Wooh! I'm still a newborn G-ranker, but I was able to solo Caravaneer's Challenge. Don't know how and don't care. Nail biting to the end especially with really shitty gear and limited supplies.

Is there even such a thing as a Zinogre Mantle? I'm being completely serious, isn't his rare drop sky emeralds?

-Alternis
Lol, I meant the Skymerald. I needed it to trade for a Nargacuga mantle so I had my terms mixed up. Regardless I got it now so I can move on to hunting Kushala. :)

Edit: I got a Mycology+4/Attack+14 charm, what mushrooms give me what effects?

Insaniac

Just got to High Rank / 7 Star in single player, whats the best way / place to farm charms for now? I need at least one non shitty charm to use on my blademaster set ups

Leezard

Lol, I meant the Skymerald. I needed it to trade for a Nargacuga mantle so I had my terms mixed up. Regardless I got it now so I can move on to hunting Kushala. :)

Edit: I got a Mycology+4/Attack+14 charm, what mushrooms give me what effects?

the dragon toadstool is a max potion. That's the one that matters.

Beats

Just got the Monster Hunter Illustrations 1 and 2 books. I wasn't expecting the books to be so big lol. The art is all really nice though. : o

the dragon toadstool is a max potion. That's the one that matters.

Pretty much this. Nitroshrooms and Parashrooms are Demondrugs and Armorskins, respectively. They last until you faint, but they don't stack with the kitchen buffs, so your best bet is to eat whichever mushroom you didn't get from the kitchen. Mopeshrooms are Dash Juices and are a bit easier to farm than Catalysts and Rare Steaks.

G-rank Crimson Fatalis was a lot scarier than I was expecting, but I am now the proud owner of a Destiny's Arm.

Now I just need to make a proper pierce set.

Insaniac

This.

But I would strongly recommend only focusing on charms at the end of G-Rank (or never).

Is there a specific skill combination you are going for?

Not 100%, just want something more useful than the usual garbage skills on low/high rank gear.

I use charge blade, insect glaive and bow. A sharpness charm would be nice for the glaive

Okay GAF, I got into this game a couple weeks ago, and I'm loving it. However, I think I'm going at a way more glacial rate than I should. I'm ~30 hours in and I'm two-thirds of the way through the 4-star Caravan quests and have the urgent quest for HR 3 (and only 3 uncompleted 2-star Guild Hall quests). I've been told that I should already be on the high-ranking quests, and I think I'm just spending too much time gearing myself up for hunts (I've got full Tetsucabra and Nerscylla, along with Freezing Blades + Twin Chainsaws, and I've been working on a Khezu set to compliment my Twin Chainsaws, which I love using). Should I just start powering through everything, or is my style of play somewhat normal for a new player?

Also, I'm still not sure if/when I should be going on Expeditions/Guild Quests; it seems like those are end-game content for when you don't have any armors/weapons left to craft. I've been completely leaving them by the wayside, is this a mistake?

tuffy

Okay GAF, I got into this game a couple weeks ago, and I'm loving it. However, I think I'm going at a way more glacial rate than I should. I'm ~30 hours in and I'm two-thirds of the way through the 4-star Caravan quests and have the urgent quest for HR 3 (and only 3 uncompleted 2-star Guild Hall quests). I've been told that I should already be on the high-ranking quests, and I think I'm just spending too much time gearing myself up for hunts (I've got full Tetsucabra and Nerscylla, along with Freezing Blades + Twin Chainsaws, and I've been working on a Khezu set to compliment my Twin Chainsaws, which I love using). Should I just start powering through everything, or is my style of play somewhat normal for a new player?
I usually advise against making too many full low and high rank sets just because it takes a long time to make each one and they become obsolete at higher ranks. But the game's not a race and there's nothing wrong with taking it slow so long as you keep practicing and your skills keep improving.
Also, I'm still not sure if/when I should be going on Expeditions/Guild Quests; it seems like those are end-game content for when you don't have any armors/weapons left to craft. I've been completely leaving them by the wayside, is this a mistake?
Expeditions are basically free practice. Random monsters, infinite carts, no time limits, and a good source of Caravan Points. I recommend taking them on anytime something interesting shows up. I find Guild Quests are more useful for monsters that don't have proper quests of their own at first (like Basarios, until recently), but they're more fun later on at very high levels for some late game challenge.

MouldyK

I usually advise against making too many full low and high rank sets just because it takes a long time to make each one and they become obsolete at higher ranks. But the game's not a race and there's nothing wrong with taking it slow so long as you keep practicing and your skills keep improving.

Yup, I spent 280 hours or so trying to get all armors for Low/High Rank, but due to bad RNG and Arena Coins, I gave up.

But after 2 months off and 308 Hours of Playtime, I finally reached G-Rank on my own without ever touching Online.

I did this to prove to myself that I didn't need to be carried and could hold my own in battle for when I later play with others.

Do I regret my 280 Hours which probably could have been 150 or so? Not at all because it helped me improve against certain monsters, like the Azure Rathalos (which is my High Rank Set now).

But, you are right: It ain't a race. Hell, people said I was taking long and wasting my time forging all armors when they were G-Rank by the end of March, but I don't care!

I'm a better hunter and the fact I did it Solo with my first real Monster Hunter (60 hours of MH3U only got me to the start of High Rank in Caravan) makes me feel like I earned it rather than be carried.

Should I just start powering through everything, or is my style of play somewhat normal for a new player?

Play at any pace you like. If you want to be High Rank and think you can do it, then do it! But don't let others discourage you and tell you where you should be.

As long as you are having fun, then it don't matter. :D

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'll keep going at my own pace and hopefully eventually get to those really shiny armor sets that have popped into my Gathering Halls a few times!

One more question that I didn't think of earlier: is it okay to stick with one weapon type forever, or will there be reason later for me to want to explore other options? I'm perfectly fine with Dual Blades so far (being a DkS/SotFS vet has really helped there), and could honestly see myself using them for the rest of the game.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
One more question that I didn't think of earlier: is it okay to stick with one weapon type forever, or will there be reason later for me to want to explore other options? I'm perfectly fine with Dual Blades so far (being a DkS/SotFS vet has really helped there), and could honestly see myself using them for the rest of the game.

stick with what you're comfortable with, I say. Choosing a weapon in Monster Hunter is akin to choosing a character in a fighting game so play to your strengths. Having said that there are monsters that are easier to beat with certain weapons, but there are no "impossible" to fight monsters. I think the Dual Blades are great for solo and once you start forging weapons with different status/element attacks people are going to loooooove you online. :)

jorgejjvr

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'll keep going at my own pace and hopefully eventually get to those really shiny armor sets that have popped into my Gathering Halls a few times!

It's perfectly fine to stay with one weapon class the whole game. The only reason I've seen other hunters change classes is either because they find a certain monster easier with a different weapon, they don't think their current weapon is right for them, they like many weapons and alternate between them, or they're just bored and wanted to try something new.

-Alternis

PrankT

It's ok staying with one, but you may find that you enjoy another weapon even more, or that a variety of weapons provide a more complete experience/enjoyment. I started with switch axe, then went into hunting horn, followed by hammer and great sword. I never even use switch axe now because I like the gameplay of the others more. Variety is the spice of monster hunter.

MouldyK

stick with what you're comfortable with, I say. Choosing a weapon in Monster Hunter is akin to choosing a character in a fighting game so play to your strengths. Having said that there are monsters that are easier to beat with certain weapons, but there are no "impossible" to fight monsters. I think the Dual Blades are great for solo and once you start forging weapons with different status/element attacks people are going to loooooove you online. :)

I like my weapons fast so I can run away faster, so I stick with my first love, Dual Blades, and my newer, more mountable love, Sword and Shield.

Like I said, a complete noob like me can enter G-Rank Solo with SnS and DB, so anyone can do it. :D

I'd rather use weapons I like and fail than use a weapon I hate using just for the kill.

The only reason I've seen other hunters change classes is either because they find a certain monster easier with a different weapon, they don't think their current weapon is right for them

If it's hulking and slow like Akantor or Tetsucabra, then Dual Blades.

If I need to mount it alot or it's fast, then SnS.

jorgejjvr

I like my weapons fast so I can run away faster, so I stick with my first love, Dual Blades, and my newer, more mountable love, Sword and Shield.

Like I said, a complete noob like me can enter G-Rank Solo with SnS and DB, so anyone can do it. :D

I'd rather use weapons I like and fail than use a weapon I hate using just for the kill.

If it's hulking and slow like Akantor or Tetsucabra, then Dual Blades.

If I need to mount it alot or it's fast, then SnS.

If I might add my two cents, in my opinion the Insect Glaive is way faster than the SnS and is the best weapon for mounting monsters

-Alternis

MouldyK

If I might add my two cents, in my opinion the Insect Glaive is way faster than the SnS and is the best weapon for mounting monsters

-Alternis

Tried, it. Sadly, it wern't my jam.

I wish it was though as it seems fun!

Maybe i'll try again at Monster Hunter X and move onto using 3 weapons.

jorgejjvr

Tried, it. Sadly, it wern't my jam.

I wish it was though as it seems fun!

Maybe i'll try again at Monster Hunter X and move onto using 3 weapons.

Have you been using it the way it is supposed to be used? You need to collect all three juices for it to unleash its true power. The red juice you get from the head strengthens your weapon while causing you to attack twice as fast and for each of your Comboes to be twice as long, the white juice from wings/legs give you increased movement and jump speed and acts as a catalyst, further increasing the benefits of the red and orange juices. The orange juice usually obtained from the backs of monsters increases defense, gives you a version of unshakable, and when combined with white it gives you low earplugs. If you combine all three you get everything I said plus everything being strengthened more. I'm only saying this because people may sometimes get confused with the weapon and immediately think it's bad. I recommend viewing Gaijinhunter's insect Glaive tutorial if any of what I said was new to you. However, if you knew everything I said and gave the full weapon a fair chance, then I understand if it is simply not your thing. For me, I think each weapon has a certain thing about them that may make them unattractive if not completely explained or used well, so forgive me.

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

Did I take your spot? I can drop out if you'd like to come back.

No worries, it's fine! I don't mind :)

Besides, you'll probably benefit a lot more from the quests and activities than I would. I've reached the point where I don't really need anything else in the game, so I only really get zenny from the quest rewards I sell. I'm sure you could use some materials and upgrades, so go for it! Have fun! I'll probably just hunt another time or find another room :p

-Alternis

Thanks everyone, I had a blast tonight!

I really need to farm some god charms, my custom sets are embarrassing, lol.

G Crown Rank quests will increase by 1 from Lv126, to a maximum level of Lv140.
Give me the strength. >.<

jorgejjvr

Thanks everyone, I had a blast tonight!

I really need to farm some god charms, my custom sets are embarrassing, lol.

Give me the strength. >.<

Level 140 quests aren't that bad, I mean it's pretty cool to fight a Velocidrome with around twice as much strength as a G rank Crimson Fatalis :p

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

But getting to 140 is probably really boring.

It's not, because you're going to want to be farming those delicious divine spheres in the first place. The harder the quest, the likelier the chance of getting them. I have a level 140 Apex Deviljho GQ, and tons of GAFers have level 140 quests.

-Alternis

Top Bottom