• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

co1onel

It's not, because you're going to want to be farming those delicious divine spheres in the first place. The harder the quest, the likelier the chance of getting them. I have a level 140 Apex Deviljho GQ, and tons of GAFers have level 140 quests.

-Alternis

Eventually you'll have hundreds of spare divine spheres sitting in your box with no use though. The grind from lv126 to lv136 is the worst since it only goes up one level at a time and anything less that beshackled is basically useless.

Gaaaah! I have the freaking hardest time against the double nerscyllas in high rank, just in the beginning. been battling them for ages but I always die to stupid mistakes. I have no idea what to do... Been trying all kinds of weapons.

And I can't build better armor either because I'm trying to hold out for the gore mixed set and haven't faced that baddie yet in HR. Maybe I need a stepping stone just for HR's sake and then go for the gore set.

Chuckpebble

So I have the silver check mark on Caravan 10, do I have to wait for the Funky Felyne to randomly show up and dole out more 'Bad Hair Day' quests? Is there something I can do to move things along? I feel like I should be getting a Chameleos quest somehow, the NPCs are hinting at it.

tuffy

So I have the silver check mark on Caravan 10, do I have to wait for the Funky Felyne to randomly show up and dole out more 'Bad Hair Day' quests? Is there something I can do to move things along? I feel like I should be getting a Chameleos quest somehow, the NPCs are hinting at it.
How far along are you in G rank? I don't think the last Caravan 10 quests open up until you hit G3.

Tom_Cody

G-rank Crimson Fatalis was a lot scarier than I was expecting, but I am now the proud owner of a Destiny's Arm.

Now I just need to make a proper pierce set.
Grinding Crimson Fatalis messed with my head. He has so many tricks up his sleeve. My most embarrassing death against him: I was in a party with no Glaives, so I was being pretty aggressive in trying to land aerial attacks against him to earn mounts. He traveled to the sunken section, so I started a full sprint towards him to try to land an aerial. What I hadn't learned yet is that he has a 'heat haze cloud' (what I call it) that aggressively saps your health, and I was running right into it. I had virtually full health when I started my sprint, and then I ended up dying at his feet before even getting an attack off. 3rd cart, hunt over. Lol.

But yeah, happy to now have True Ruiner's Bane. 660 Blast is no joke. And I have general plans to grind him again for his armor once I get True Fatalis's End (620 Dragon).

Tom_Cody

Not 100%, just want something more useful than the usual garbage skills on low/high rank gear.

I use charge blade, insect glaive and bow. A sharpness charm would be nice for the glaive
Still, my personal recommendation is that you focus on specific armor sets more than charm farming. Your armor and gems are going to get you 95% of the way there. Where you are in the game, the most you are going to gain from a charm is one additional skill (generally speaking). And if there is one specific skill you want, you should just build an armor set around that anyway.

My basis for saying this is that I find charm farming to be soul crushing. If you are actually interested in improving your stats/performance, you are much better off spending your time on equipment and advancing. Especially since you just got to high rank and there will be a lot of new equipment there for you.

Tom_Cody

Okay GAF, I got into this game a couple weeks ago, and I'm loving it. However, I think I'm going at a way more glacial rate than I should. I'm ~30 hours in and I'm two-thirds of the way through the 4-star Caravan quests and have the urgent quest for HR 3 (and only 3 uncompleted 2-star Guild Hall quests). I've been told that I should already be on the high-ranking quests, and I think I'm just spending too much time gearing myself up for hunts (I've got full Tetsucabra and Nerscylla, along with Freezing Blades + Twin Chainsaws, and I've been working on a Khezu set to compliment my Twin Chainsaws, which I love using). Should I just start powering through everything, or is my style of play somewhat normal for a new player?

Also, I'm still not sure if/when I should be going on Expeditions/Guild Quests; it seems like those are end-game content for when you don't have any armors/weapons left to craft. I've been completely leaving them by the wayside, is this a mistake?

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'll keep going at my own pace and hopefully eventually get to those really shiny armor sets that have popped into my Gathering Halls a few times!

One more question that I didn't think of earlier: is it okay to stick with one weapon type forever, or will there be reason later for me to want to explore other options? I'm perfectly fine with Dual Blades so far (being a DkS/SotFS vet has really helped there), and could honestly see myself using them for the rest of the game.
I see that a bunch of people already responded to you but I'll add my 2¢ anyway.

The Dual Blades, more than almost any other weapon class, require specialized element/status pairings. The consequence of this the amount of crafting involved. I started the game as an Archer, and I crafted virtually every Bow in low-rank and high-rank. I enjoyed the collecting aspect of this, but it was also a very slow way to play. I moved on to Switch Axe at G-rank for the specific reason that the weapon requires less specialization. And now that I'm at the end of G-rank, I sort of feel like I've run out of goals since I stand to benefit very little from doing more crafting, lol.

Regarding weapon selection in general, I will just say that all weapons are viable, and you should just stick with whatever weapons is the most fun to play for you personally. I spent my first 10 hours with game (the demo actually) trying everything out. If you like Dual Blade gameplay and you find crafting rewarding, stick with it. If you want stick to one weapon line and focus purely on gameplay, you are probably better off with something else.

Tom_Cody

How far along are you in G rank? I don't think the last Caravan 10 quests open up until you hit G3.
I just got my red check a few days ago for Caravan 10.

As tuffy said, some are unlocked through G-Rank Guild missions. Beyond that, be sure to check every town from villagers with speech bubbles. Specifically pay a visit to the Elder in Cathar (located in the separate area beyond the rope bridge) as his requests/bubbles don't show up on the village map.

Tom_Cody

Gaaaah! I have the freaking hardest time against the double nerscyllas in high rank, just in the beginning. been battling them for ages but I always die to stupid mistakes. I have no idea what to do... Been trying all kinds of weapons.

And I can't build better armor either because I'm trying to hold out for the gore mixed set and haven't faced that baddie yet in HR. Maybe I need a stepping stone just for HR's sake and then go for the gore set.
Are you having problems related to them being in the same room at the same time? If so, bring dung bombs.

tuffy

Keep in mind that around level 136 (I might be mistaken about the level), your Gore Magala Guild Quest will become a Chaotic Gore Magala.
It's already gone Chaotic, as I recall. At least there's a proper regular G Gore event quest now for people who just need the parts.

Today, I dun fucked up.

I sold off all my worms and husk/needleberries because they were taking up room, forgetting that I need them for my IGs.

At least they're quick to get.

I haven't played like 2 months, are those free DLCs only available for a limited time or can I just dive back into it any given time and download those ?

I am currently buisy with Suikoden 2.

Some of us don't want to get to HR999 in one quest. It would totally screw up my sense of progression in the game and is pretty abnormal in and of itself.

Ah, that's separate from the custom quests Kiranico put out. My bad, I misread.

So these quests are really appearing in search a room function?

Well yeah, they're exactly the same as regular quests as far as game data is concerned.

Ew, them clustering the search function. Is there a good way to notice the difference between custom and regulars?

One would imagine that there wouldn't be the flavor text description that most of the quests in the game have (see on the board if you tab over a few pages, or during the quest loading), or would have text that didn't match up with the monster the board because people are lazy. But I haven't run into any of these yet.

Wolfe

Have fun. I just finished my third relic set. Honestly the worst part is farming expeditions for the caravan points to upgrade the defense.

That's funny cause I have very little points atm as it is (around 10k atm) but my biggest motivation sapper is getting the quests up to 140. Granted all 6 quests are over level 100 now. I guess I've just been trying to avoid playing GQs with randoms lately hah.

Custom quests really are a double-edged sword.

Meh, I still like the idea, even if there are people that use them in "bad" ways.

Encountered one yesterday where it gave relic decorations. x99 Edgemaster, Edge Lore, etc. decorations that could be slotted into your armor or weapons for +5 in a single skill.

Kater

Banned
Encountered one yesterday where it gave relic decorations. x99 Edgemaster, Edge Lore, etc. decorations that could be slotted into your armor or weapons for +5 in a single skill.
Yikes!

Did you save afterwards? If you did, you could still sell them. but man, those rewards are insane.

I can understand cheating to get to HR 999 (since I feel it's really trivial to get to HR999) but cheating for reward items makes the whole game trivial. :/

I haven't played online in a month or so but after hearing about the custom quests I kinda don't want to know unless its strictly with GAF. No more "I have time lets jump into a random room" for me.

Yikes!

Did you save afterwards? If you did, you could still sell them. but man, those rewards are insane.

I can understand cheating to get to HR 999 (since I feel it's really trivial to get to HR999) but cheating for reward items makes the whole game trivial. :/

I just closed the game without saving.

tuffy

The disparity between Kiranico's personal belief that "custom quests should leave as little impact as possible (no rewards, empty supply chests and zero HR points)" and the reality of their use in practice is incredible.

This kind of thing is why I've given up on hunting in rooms with randoms online.

tm24

To be fair, the charm hunting custom quest is hilarious since it has no delivery box and uses the deliver item from item screen mechanic that hardly no one knows about

Kater

Banned
Item Pouch -> select item -> Deliver

Beats having to Farcaster back to the red box, that's for sure.
Wow. That is really convenient.

I wish it would work with egg quests. I don't like them at all. :p

Don't tell me it works for those too. -.-

Wolfe

Hah yeah I wasn't aware of that option either, although I'd assume it doesn't work on carry quests as those items are something you hold (even though it still requires pouch space) and carry. Would kind of defeat the purpose.

DooD1234

Alright, whomever is Sassy, thanks for hunting. You too Stephen. Great hunting, wish I knew how to play range without getting one shotted. Til next time!

jorgejjvr

I guess I'm down for a few hunts. Who's up? I prefer GQ 126+ for divine spheres since right now my Nargacuga X is at less than 700 defense but it's mostly a set for fun, I'll probably end up with my Starry Knight anyway so we can do whatever.

-Alternis

Top Bottom