• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Colour. You can change the pigment of a predetermined area on each piece of armour.

Ah, durr. Ok, I haven't typically messed with the color so much because on the sets that I've used the color change has effected a comically small area it was almost negligible.

ChrisD

Ah, durr. Ok, I haven't typically messed with the color so much because on the sets that I've used the color change has effected a comically small area it was almost negligible.

Unfortunately that's about all you'll ever get with Armor Pigment. Even rainbow doesn't stand out while you're out of town and actually fighting things.

Shengar

I don't know how our run duo apex diablos-thon become significantly worse Wolfe lol

I guess chaining disable with the cats Flying F Bomb is really significant to our earlier success. Anyway that was good for only two of us.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm getting so hyped reading info on MHX, I really hope it comes out in the west. I'm crossing my fingers for it.

Tarps

After maining GS and HH, I figured it was time to play gunner and try my hand at the bow.

After completing 20 hunts I'm enjoying it so far, but struggling a bit with the verticality, and making minor adjustments needed for height, some areas are a no-go for this reason (like the large open slope on Frozen Seaway.

Has anyone got any tips for this? I'm using the 'R' to fire control scheme if that helps?

Wolfe

I don't know how our run duo apex diablos-thon become significantly worse Wolfe lol

I guess chaining disable with the cats Flying F Bomb is really significant to our earlier success. Anyway that was good for only two of us.

I was getting a bit sloppy there lol, but yeah having the stamina sap and flying F bomb was pretty damn helpful XD

Those were some fun runs, CB/HBG seemed to work out well together for that guy. Especially at times where he just kept chain charging me giving you free shots and me GP spam, good times.

I'm getting so hyped reading info on MHX, I really hope it comes out in the west. I'm crossing my fingers for it.

I have no doubt it's on lock for the west, looks like a ton of fun.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
After maining GS and HH, I figured it was time to play gunner and try my hand at the bow.

After completing 20 hunts I'm enjoying it so far, but struggling a bit with the verticality, and making minor adjustments needed for height, some areas are a no-go for this reason (like the large open slope on Frozen Seaway.

Has anyone got any tips for this? I'm using the 'R' to fire control scheme if that helps?

I know exactly what you mean. I don't have any great tips for you, but those changes in verticality are the reason I end up relying on the aim mode so much more than I feel like I should have to.

As I tread through the online portion of the game, since I left it untouched for so long, I am having fun but man the connections keep dropping. I end up having to solo the monsters.

jorgejjvr

Hey, on the equipment screen there's columns for the name of your gear, a column for slots and then a third column called "Col" what is that column?

Some armor like the Star Knight armor have really large and notable areas where you can change the color (like the cape and helmet and a lot more). In fact, that's why I use rainbow on it, so it looks really cool.

Heck, the entire Chameleos armor changes color. The entire helmet, chest, arms, waist, and legs become that color. One of the best armor for that in my opinion.

Also, I'm available for hunts.

-Alternis
Regarding the Rajang guy, you'll probably fight him a lot more than that :p

You haven't even seen the two other versions of him X3

jorgejjvr

It's pretty bad. Pretty much 4/5 of my attempts to hunt end up with me alone. Then to find people as low levelled as me again it's a pain in the butt. I'm only HR2. Trying to just do the key quests to speed things up.

We can help out.

If you don't want us to use overpowered gear, you can just tell us.

-Alternis

We can help out.

If you don't want us to use overpowered gear, you can just tell us.

-Alternis

I'd feel guilty lol I know all of you folks have way more hours into the game than me, I'd just be dead weight. I'm still fairly early into the game, Caravan 6, HR2, ~40hrs in. I got the game at launch with the MH n3DS bundle, but didn't play as much as I should have. I'm now paying for it since everyone is miles away from me in terms of progress and Playtime.

jorgejjvr

I'd feel guilty lol I know all of you folks have way more hours into the game than me, I'd just be dead weight. I'm still fairly early into the game, Caravan 6, HR2, ~40hrs in. I got the game at launch with the MH n3DS bundle, but didn't play as much as I should have. I'm now paying for it since everyone is miles away from me in terms of progress and Playtime.

Don't worry about it man, we don't care, we don't judge. We just want to see you progress and learn. As long as you're legitimately trying your best, I'll be happy. And honestly, when you play with us, you can have all of your questions answered. Trust me, don't fret, there's no reason to be guilty. I myself make it a point to help people without carrying them. I do this by not using my strongest gear or by allowing you to fully experience the fight before I step in.

Serious, don't worry. Give it your best and I'll be happy. Feel free to ask questions too.

So, want to hunt?

-Alternis

Don't worry about it man, we don't care, we don't judge. We just want to see you progress and learn. As long as you're legitimately trying your best, I'll be happy. And honestly, when you play with us, you can have all of your questions answered. Trust me, don't fret, there's no reason to be guilty. I myself make it a point to help people without carrying them. I do this by not using my strongest gear or by allowing you to fully experience the fight before I step in.

Serious, don't worry. Give it your best and I'll be happy. Feel free to ask questions too.

So, want to hunt?

-Alternis

Thanks glad you guys are a welcoming community. Usually folks just say "git gud and then come talk to us" I'll take you up on that offer later today. I played MH before, but never for long enough to know every nook and cranny behind its systems. I know enough not get in people's way, I know how to work the Charge Blade, I am just not as literate in charms, skills and whatnot as you all lol. Hope to change that though!

jorgejjvr

Thanks glad you guys are a welcoming community. Usually folks just say "git gud and then come talk to us" I'll take you up on that offer later today. I played MH before, but never for long enough to know every nook and cranny behind its systems. I know enough not get in people's way, I know how to work the Charge Blade, I am just not as literate in charms, skills and whatnot as you all lol. Hope to change that though!

Anytime! I'm excited to help a new Hunter :)
Ah, you're talking about the small percentage of elitists. In my opinion though, it's good for everything to not be absolutely perfect and planned out in every way. Otherwise the fun is kind of sucked out of it all (that's just my opinion though).

Yeah, I know people with a similar case like yours. They turned out to be huge MH fans and possibly even addicts once they got into the hang of it. In fact, one of our members here, LiQuid!, was guided by all of us and it seems like he couldn't be happier.

In a cooperative game, there's no point to shove and ignore newcomers, it makes no sense.

Hmmm.....you can search up how those things work on YouTube.

Also, check out a Youtuber named Gaijin Hunter, he does amazing weapon tutorials and goes over vague things you may/may not know, and even helps with good armor sets.

I can try to give you a rundown on the skills.

Charms and armor pieces give you skill points (say, a charm may give say "evasion +6", which gives you six points into evasion). However, a skill can only be activated by reaching either 10 points or -10 points (negative skills have detrimental effects). So, if all your evasion points added to 10, you'd get evasion +1, which let you evade through attacks. However, some skills, like evasion, can go up further to 15 points and 20 points (increasing the effects).

Charms are usually used to obtain or help obtain skills.

Also, armor has slots (represented by black little holes in the armor) that you can put decorations in. Decorations are able to be forged at the black smith, and when gemed into slots to either try to gain a skill or remove a negative one.

For example, there's a decoration called the Grinder jewel, which is a one slot gem (it fits in a single slot, some decorations need two or three slots to fit). Putting this decoration on a slot adds 2 points towards speed sharpening. Therefore, you'd need five slots (2 times 5 equals 10) to reach the 10 points needed to activate the speed sharpening skill, which lets you sharpen your weapon with one rub.

However, like I said, decorations can remove negative skills.

You see, it is optimal to make all 5 pieces of armor (head, chest, arms, waist, and legs) from the same monster, as each individual piece gives you points towards skills, and having the entire set allows you to have lots of skills activated (usually evasive monsters will give you evasive skills from their armor, defensive monsters give defense, etc.). However, most complete armor sets have around 1 negative skill to balance out the good skills you get with the set. Therefore, if you make a full armor set out of a monster extremely weak to fire, you'll get a handful of good skills, but one negative skill (like fire resistance -20, which is obtained by having -10 points in the fire resistance skill). To counter it, you can make a fire resistance decoration, for example, and add it into a slot to make the fire resistance skill go up by one, giving you -9 points and therefore deactivating the skill and removing the -20 fire resistance penalty.

A skill must have at least -10 or 10 points to activate. -9 or 9 or anything in between will not activate a skill.

-Alternis

Anytime! I'm excited to help a new Hunter :)
Ah, you're talking about the small percentage of elitists. In my opinion though, it's good for everything to not be absolutely perfect and planned out in every way. Otherwise the fun is kind of sucked out of it all (that's just my opinion though).

Yeah, I know people with a similar case than you. They turned out to be huge MH fans and possibly even addicts once they got into the hang of it. In fact, one of our members here, LiQuid!, was guided by all of us and it seems like he couldn't be happier.

In a cooperative game, there's no point to shove and ignore newcomers, it makes no sense.

Hmmm.....you can search up how those things work on YouTube.

Also, check out a Youtuber named Gaijin Hunter, he does amazing weapon tutorials and goes over vague things you may/may not know, and even helps with good armor sets.

I can try to give you a rundown on the skills.

Charms and armor pieces give you skill points (say, a charm may give say "evasion +6", which gives you six points into evasion). However, a skill can only be activated by reaching either 10 points or -10 points (negative skills have detrimental effects). So, if all your evasion points added to 10, you'd get evasion +1, which let you evade through attacks. However, some skills, like evasion, can go up further to 15 points and 20 points (increasing the effects).

Charms are usually used to obtain or help obtain skills.

Also, armor has slots (represented by black little holes in the armor) that you can put decorations in. Decorations are able to be forged at the black smith, and when gemed into slots to either try to gain a skill or remove a negative one.

For example, there's a decoration called the Grinder skill, which is a one slot gem (it fits in a single slot, some decorations need two or three slots to fit). Putting this decoration on a slot adds 2 points towards speed sharpening. Therefore, you'd need five slots (2 times 5 equals 10) to reach the 10 points needed to activate the speed sharpening skill, which lets you sharpen your weapon with one rub.

However, like I said, decorations can remove negative skills.

You see, it is optimal to make all 5 pieces of armor (head, chest, arms, waist, and legs) from the same monster, as each individual piece gives you points towards skills, and having the entire set allows you to have lots of skills activated (usually evasive monsters will give you evasive skills from their armor, defensive monsters give defense, etc.). However, most complete armor sets have around 1 negative skill to balance out the good skills you get with the set. Therefore, if you make a full armor set out of a monster extremely weak to fire, you'll get a handful of good skills, but one negative skill (like fire resistance -20, which is obtained by having -10 points in the fire resistance skill). To counter it, you can make a fire resistance decoration, for example, and add it into a slot to make the fire resistance skill go up by one, giving you -9 points and therefore deactivating the skill and removing the -20 fire resistance penalty.

A skill must have at least -10 or 10 points to activate. -9 or 9 or anything in between will not activate a skill.

-Alternis
I am a huge fan of Gaijins stuff, after all if I know how to charge my blades properly is thanks to him, he does some great stuff.

Thanks for the explanation, I am currently wearing the LR Tetsu set, and my CB is the Elendskraft. With all that I now understand that skills are very important, but when is it the right time to obtain new gear? I'm too scared of taking ages to grind only for my gear to become obsolete within a few hours. Specially since I am still in LR.

jorgejjvr

I am a huge fan of Gaijins stuff, after all if I know how to charge my blades properly is thanks to him, he does some great stuff.

Thanks for the explanation, I am currently wearing the LR Tetsu set, and my CB is the Elendskraft. With all that I now understand that skills are very important, but when is it the right time to obtain new gear? I'm too scared of taking ages to grind only for my gear to become obsolete within a few hours. Specially since I am still in LR.

For example, the Tetsu set gives you Health +50, guaranteeing a full health bar, and it also gives a defense boost too. You can check the skills you have as well as all the individual skill points you have by clicking status on the pause menu and pressing left on the D pad (taking you to page 3). You can press why on page three for further details on the skills. There's a chance Tetsu armor has a negative gathering skill, you may want to gem that out so you're never gathering less.

Honestly, I started with Tetsucabra gear too. And my advice is to simply upgrade your weapons as much as you can whenever possible, and try to get a weapon with each element early on (elemental damage is pretty huge if used correctly). Regarding armor, I upgraded the defense on my Tetsu set with armor spheres so it lasts longer, and whenever I found that mobsters were starting to do damage to the extent where I couldn't handle it/hunt efficiently, I would make a new set of the strongest monster I could hunt efficiently.

-Alternis
Regarding the materials for honing, it's going to take a long time. First you need to rank up to G3 and then you must rank up to G Crown, and even then you must decipher scrolls to unlock Apex hunts, and then you have to hunt the right Apex monsters for your best chance of certain gems. So yeah. Although frankly if you reach G Crown then I can just post apex hunts for you. Although for such hunts you MUST have two wystones and one of them must be drive.

For example, the Tetsu set gives you Health +50, guaranteeing a full health bar, and it also gives a defense boost too. You can check the skills you have as well as all the individual skill points you have by clicking status on the pause menu and pressing left on the D pad (taking you to page 3). You can press why on page three for further details on the skills. There's a chance Tetsu armor has a negative gathering skill, you may want to gem that out so you're never gathering less.

Honestly, I started with Tetsucabra gear too. And my advice is to simply upgrade your weapons as much as you can whenever possible, and try to get a weapon with each element early on (elemental damage is pretty huge if used correctly). Regarding armor, I upgraded the defense on my Tetsu set with armor spheres so it lasts longer, and whenever I found that mobsters were starting to do damage to the extent where I couldn't handle it/hunt efficiently, I would make a new set of the strongest monster I could hunt efficiently.

-Alternis
Understood, thanks, I should work on an elemental CB since I have none right now! As for the armour progression that makes sense, since right now I don't feel much difficulty dealing with monsters, aside from the occasional slip up in online mode when everyone's connection drops and leave me alone with an angered beast lol. Caravan right now is a piece of cake still. Should I continue Caravan and then go back online?

jorgejjvr

Understood, thanks, I should work on an elemental CB since I have none right now! As for the armour progression that makes sense, since right now I don't feel much difficulty dealing with monsters, aside from the occasional slip up in online mode when everyone's connection drops and leave me alone with an angered beast lol. Caravan right now is a piece of cake still. Should I continue Caravan and then go back online?

You should play both equally, as each give you the things that are exclusive to one mode and benefit the other. Although in the end online will be where everything is at. But yeah, try to balance it so that you're fighting relatively the same monsters in both offline and online (and in the same rank too).

Well technically the Gore Magala charge blade has the dragon element, which is useful against anything that looks like a dragon or Dinosaur, like the Rath family.

-Alternis

You should play both equally, as each give you the things that are exclusive to one mode and benefit the other. Although in the end online will be where everything is at. But yeah, try to balance it so that you're fighting relatively the same monsters in both offline and online (and in the same rank too).

Well technically the Gore Magala charge blade has the dragon element, which is useful against anything that looks like a dragon or Dinosaur, like the Rath family.

-Alternis

I am definitely gonna have to work on online then and put Caravan aside lol.

That is true my weapon does some dragon damage, I actually phrased it wrong I was talking about the charge phials. Those are of Impact damage, I see that some CBs also have Element damage for the phials, and after searching up online for the stats those seem to be a bit weaker, and only useful against specific monsters. Are those worth investing on, when I could just get an Impact CB with some element attached to it, rather than an element CB with element charges?

jorgejjvr

I am definitely gonna have to work on online then and put Caravan aside lol.

That is true my weapon does some dragon damage, I actually phrased it wrong I was talking about the charge phials. Those are of Impact damage, I see that some CBs also have Element damage for the phials, and after searching up online for the stats those seem to be a bit weaker, and only useful against specific monsters. Are those worth investing on, when I could just get an Impact CB with some element attached to it, rather than an element CB with element charges?

It's all up to your preference. Some people prefer the weaker elemental ones as all the explosions release the element of the charge blade, thus making elemental Phial charge blades more of a precise weapon, in which your aim is to unleash the explosion on weak spots and against monsters weak to the element. Meanwhile, the impact explosions can KO a monster if enough explosions hit the head, which is useful. Plus, the damage of said explosions can actually be increased with the Artillery skill and even further with the Felyne Bombardier kitchen skill that you gain from eating. Impact charge blades are more for doing damage anywhere while still doing your share of natural elemental damage (not as much as elemental blades though, since you know, elemental explosions) but the elemental damage from impact types are still enough to be significant. Plus the added benefit of KOing monsters.

Keep an eye out for the symbols when picking a quest. Some quests may have a fish symbol, and once completed, upgrade your kitchen ingredients, which make the buffs and skills much better when eating before every hunt. Meanwhile, some quests have a white fang icon, and once completed, allow you to trade more parts at the Wycoon. Such quests are found both online and offline, and thus if you want the best kitchen/Wycoon, you should do them all. Some benefits of offline include the Wyceum that you unlock eventually, as well as the upgrades to the Wycoon and what he can multiply, while online you can carry more Wystone as well as unlock new ones, and online generally has more quests.

-Alternis
Keep in mind only Impact explosions can have damage increases with skills.
Though you can increase the elemental explosion damages by using an individual elemental skill like fire attack +1,+2,or +3, or using the much weaker skill called Elemental attack up, which increases the element of all weapons, but not nearly as much as the skills designed for one particular element.

It's all up to your preference. Some people prefer the weaker elemental ones as all the explosions release the element of the charge blade, thus making elemental Phial charge blades more of a precise weapon, in which your aim is to unleash the explosion on weak spots and against monsters weak to the element. Meanwhile, the impact explosions can KO a monster if enough explosions hit the head, which is useful. Plus, the damage of said explosions can actually be increased with the Artillery skill and even further with the Felyne Bombardier kitchen skill that you gain from eating. Impact charge blades are more for doing damage anywhere while still doing your share of natural elemental damage (not as much as elemental blades though, since you know, elemental explosions) but the elemental damage from impact types are still enough to be significant. Plus the added benefit of KOing monsters.

Keep an eye out for the symbols when picking a quest. Some quests may have a fish symbol, and once completed, upgrade your kitchen ingredients, which make the buffs and skills much better when eating before every hunt. Meanwhile, some quests have a white fang icon, and once completed, allow you to trade more parts at the Wycoon. Such quests are found both online and offline, and thus if you want the best kitchen/Wycoon, you should do them all. Some benefits of offline include the Wyceum that you unlock eventually, as well as the upgrades to the Wycoon and what he can multiply, while online you can carry more Wystone as well as unlock new ones, and online generally has more quests.

-Alternis
Keep in mind only Impact explosions can have damage increases with skills.
Though you can increase the elemental explosion damages by using an individual elemental skill like fire attack +1,+2,or +3, or using the much weaker skill called Elemental attack up, which increases the element of all weapons, but not nearly as much as the skills designed for one particular element.

I see many thanks. I think I will stick with Impact weapons for now then, since they seem to be the "all around best" rather than being useful in specific situations. I will however keep this in mind, if I ever get stuck and know which element will help me, and I can't dish out the appropriate damage with an Impact weapon for one reason or another, I will build these Elemental weapons. For now since I am still so early in the game anyway I am just going to focus on clearing things, unlocking more features from the vendors, wycoon, etc and whenever a road block appears, I will work on newer sets or upgrade my weapon.

I have a ton of game ahead of me there is no point in going all out so early in the game since all that work wouldn't be helpful in HR or better yet G stuff aha.

jorgejjvr

I see many thanks. I think I will stick with Impact weapons for now then, since they seem to be the "all around best" rather than being useful in specific situations. I will however keep this in mind, if I ever get stuck and know which element will help me, and I can't dish out the appropriate damage with an Impact weapon for one reason or another, I will build these Elemental weapons. For now since I am still so early in the game anyway I am just going to focus on clearing things, unlocking more features from the vendors, wycoon, etc and whenever a road block appears, I will work on newer sets or upgrade my weapon.

I have a ton of game ahead of me there is no point in going all out so early in the game since all that work wouldn't be helpful in HR or better yet G stuff aha.

The game can be played as you see fit. You can choose to go all out, or not. It's your choice. Play and advance as you want.

Yeah, I made a charge blade for each element for both types of phials, elemental and impact.

Do you wish to hunt?

-Alternis

The game can be played as you see fit. You can choose to go all out, or not. It's your choice. Play and advance as you want.

Yeah, I made a charge blade for each element for both types of phials, elemental and impact.

Do you wish to hunt?

-Alternis
Always good to hear in a game as content heavy as this. It can be pretty daunting to newcomers, I have been playing since Freedom Unite, but without ever going too far because there was no one to play with, and I never dabbled in the whole min-maxing stuff in the game. When I was younger, I made armour because it looked cool lol. Obviously that didn't help at all.

I will only be able to play later today, I have to do some grocery shopping and stuff lol. I am EST, but feel free to add me, I will do so as well as soon as I get a hold of my n3DS: 2637-9480-0087

jorgejjvr

Always good to hear in a game as content heavy as this. It can be pretty daunting to newcomers, I have been playing since Freedom Unite, but without ever going too far because there was no one to play with, and I never dabbled in the whole min-maxing stuff in the game. When I was younger, I made armour because it looked cool lol. Obviously that didn't help at all.

I will only be able to play later today, I have to do some grocery shopping and stuff lol. I am EST, but feel free to add me, I will do so as well as soon as I get a hold of my n3DS: 2637-9480-0087

Great! I'm also on EST!

My code is 0619-5648-7368

I already added you xP

Just post here and make a room whenever you're up for a hunt. Even if I can't join, others will.

-Alternis

Great! I'm also on EST!

My code is 0619-5648-7368

I already added you xP

Just post here and make a room whenever you're up for a hunt. Even if I can't join, others will.

-Alternis

Gotcha, right in time as i was about to leave aha.

Yeah, anyone that's low level like me feel free to add me, or send me a PM if you dont want to show your friend code in public or whatnot. I usually play more during late afternoon-night, but I guess I'll be posting more around here whenever I go for a hunt!

jorgejjvr

Gotcha, right in time as i was about to leave aha.

Yeah, anyone that's low level like me feel free to add me, or send me a PM if you dont want to show your friend code in public or whatnot. I usually play more during late afternoon-night, but I guess I'll be posting more around here whenever I go for a hunt!

Keep in mind I have incredibly strong gear, so if you want me to tone it down and use less powerful gear, let me know.

-Alternis

Keep in mind I have incredibly strong gear, so if you want me to tone it down and use less powerful gear, let me know.

-Alternis

For sure, you seem to also use the CB? Will be nice to see some higher level play compared to mine. I shall call you all Senseis from now on.

tumblr_inline_mzj3znkjzS1ssxf2k.png

Teach me how to awesome.

jorgejjvr

For sure, you seem to also use the CB? Will be nice to see some higher level play compared to mine. I shall call you all Senseis from now on.

Teach me how to awesome.

I primarily use the Insect Glaive and Charge Blade. I'd say my skill level with those two are equal. I only use the Glaive more as it seems more beneficial to team play due to mounting, and my armor set allows mounts to be finished in 5-10 seconds, so it's very quick and efficient.

But yeah, definitely, if you wish to watch and learn, I'll gladly use my Charge Blades for you. I'm sure that'll be handy.

There's also an advance tactic for Charge Blade that takes a while to master (Gaijin Hunter has a video on the subject) called guard pointing. Basically, when you switch modes, you're giving frames where, if you're hit, you damage the monster, release and explosion, and have the oplertunity to counter attack. Personally I don't do it too often, but it's useful on certain monsters.

-Alternis

LiQuid!

I can't figure out why half the time when I fight akantor I do absolutely fine, get lots of hits in and never die and the other half I'm 2/3 or 3/3 of our teams deaths. Every now and then that boss just randomly deals 75-90% damage to me and I can not figure out why. It's not even his big, stupid lazer, which is way easier to dodge than Lazersnake's. It's just being anywhere near his body, occasionally he just deals a shit ton of damage. So annoying to fight this guy and I need to get a gem off of him, which could potentially take a lot of fights.

jorgejjvr

I can't figure out why half the time when I fight akantor I do absolutely fine, get lots of hits in and never die and the other half I'm 2/3 or 3/3 of our teams deaths. Every now and then that boss just randomly deals 75-90% damage to me and I can not figure out why. It's not even his big, stupid lazer, which is way easier to dodge than Lazersnake's. It's just being anywhere near his body, occasionally he just deals a shit ton of damage. So annoying to fight this guy and I need to get a gem off of him, which could potentially take a lot of fights.

When he's enraged (glowing), you'll see fumes coming from his mouth. To my knowledge, if you even remotely touch the mouth, even when he's walking, you'll get a SEVERE defense reduction. Like your defense goes down by at least around 100 points and maybe more. There's a skill called defense lock that prevents this from happening, or to counter it, bring an adamant pill or seed (items that increase defense). Deviljho has this same effect, but only when he is hungry and salivating (corrosive saliva).

-Alternis

I primarily use the Insect Glaive and Charge Blade. I'd say my skill level with those two are equal. I only use the Glaive more as it seems more beneficial to team play due to mounting, and my armor set allows mounts to be finished in 5-10 seconds, so it's very quick and efficient.

But yeah, definitely, if you wish to watch and learn, I'll gladly use my Charge Blades for you. I'm sure that'll be handy.

There's also an advance tactic for Charge Blade that takes a while to master (Gaijin Hunter has a video on the subject) called guard pointing. Basically, when you switch modes, you're giving frames where, if you're hit, you damage the monster, release and explosion, and have the oplertunity to counter attack. Personally I don't do it too often, but it's useful on certain monsters.

-Alternis
Been meaning to watch this, it's on my "watch later" just sitting there. It's a 20-30min long vid right?

tuffy

When he's enraged (glowing), you'll see fumes coming from his mouth. To my knowledge, if you even remotely touch the mouth, even when he's walking, you'll get a SEVERE defense reduction. Like your defense goes down by at least around 100 points and maybe more. There's a skill called defense lock that prevents this from happening, or to counter it, bring an adamant pill or seed (items that increase defense). Deviljho has this same effect, but only when he is hungry and salivating (corrosive saliva).
Ways to spot Akantor's defense-down are to look for little puffs of smoke coming off your hunter and a shield icon next to your name with two downward red arrows. The effect is so severe almost everything he does is a one-shot kill (or close to it), so it's vital to recognize the status and back off until cleared it's cleared off. Portable Steam Bombs are another really handy way to get rid of it, if one is far enough along to buy them from the Wyporeum.

LiQuid!

-Alternis

Ok, I just stuck defense potions in my item loadout for this guy. Now if only team wasn't feed.

-Alternis

Man, that feeling when you forget to bring adamant seeds and get the debuff. I run to the corners of the stage to try and harvest some pity adamant seeds and instead I get like 5x fire herb.

At least Deviljho's isn't that ridiculous 2x debuff.

Wanderer5

Edit: Thanks guys! Was a lot of fun. Got the rares needed for the armor (plus a additional Seregios Lens), so that good.

Still need 2 Immenseness Ticket S to complete the Star Knight armor, so probably work on that later this weekend.

Top Bottom