• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Wolfe

Well I finally got a +7 Handi charm (with +5 stamina) but of course no sockets lol.

Oh well, it still allows me to get Sharp+1 on my Savage Jho armor which is fun :p

Well I finally got a +7 Handi charm (with +5 stamina) but of course no sockets lol.

Oh well, it still allows me to get Sharp+1 on my Savage Jho armor which is fun :p

nice :eek:

I'm in the process of hunting for a nice 3 socket charm. All the ones I have are pretty underwhelming skills.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Joined a random hall. Killing Rathalos, I get a ruby from a tail carve. Slowly, everybody in the room starts disconnecting. Now it's just me. Rathalos is dead, but I gotta kill a HR rathian by myself now in order to close out the quest to keep my tear. :(

jorgejjvr

Joined a random hall. Killing Rathalos, I get a ruby from a tail carve. Slowly, everybody in the room starts disconnecting. Now it's just me. Rathalos is dead, but I gotta kill a HR rathian by myself now in order to close out the quest to keep my tear. :(

You can end via sub quest...that'll keep your stuff.

-Alternis

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Sub quest is harder than the actual quest. Actually probably not really, but it'll take some RNG to get a large wyvern tear.

This fight is really god damned hard without my cats healing me...

jorgejjvr

Sub quest is harder than the actual quest. Actually probably not really, but it'll take some RNG to get a large wyvern tear.

This fight is really god damned hard without my cats healing me...

Be smart and persistent. Just collect every shiny you see. Hopefully you get a tear. Afterwards, try to win. If not, sub quest out of there.

-Alternis

So I know kiranico has a chart for this, but it's something of a clusterfuck.

Is there any reason to get lower rarity charms?
the best charm to get for me that isn't something crazy (+6 handicraft rofl) is a +3 Hearing OOO charm, but I seem to have more luck getting hearing on lower quality charms. Am I just getting odd luck or is there something to this?

LiQuid!

I ended up dying 3 times, but I kept my ruby... Quest failed yet I didn't revert to pre-quest status. All my potions and stuff are used up and I got all the loot I grabbed. Weird.

Wolfe

So I know kiranico has a chart for this, but it's something of a clusterfuck.

Is there any reason to get lower rarity charms?
the best charm to get for me that isn't something crazy (+6 handicraft rofl) is a +3 Hearing OOO charm, but I seem to have more luck getting hearing on lower quality charms. Am I just getting odd luck or is there something to this?

Lower rarity charms are always useful now with the melding NPC, the best melding you can do (Juju) uses 3 lower rarity charms while the next best melding (Fabled) uses 3 rare 8-10 charms. Only issue is Juju melding requires vile frenzy + pure frenzy while Fabled only uses pure frenzy. At end game you're likely to have a lot more pure frenzy shards than vile.

Either way you can do Fabled melds till you have the spare viles and then do Juju and then repeat, Fabled melding (due to my lack of vile shards) was how I got that 7 Handi charm today actually, only even had enough spare junk charms to do one meld lol.

Edit: to answer your other question yeah it's just luck, one of my best hearing charms is still a rare 7 as is my best evade distance charm.

tuffy

I ended up dying 3 times, but I kept my ruby... Quest failed yet I didn't revert to pre-quest status. All my potions and stuff are used up and I got all the loot I grabbed. Weird.
That's perfectly normal. Abandoning resets everything to pre-quest status, but failing a quest lets you keep everything you've carved/collected up to that point - and costs you any potions you might've used. This is how suicide runs became a thing before subquests were re-added; people would cut off a tail and carve it hoping for a rare drop, abandon if it wasn't found, or deliberately fail the quest to keep it if it was found. One used to be able to save a lot of time that way.

Lower rarity charms are always useful now with the melding NPC, the best melding you can do (Juju) uses 3 lower rarity charms while the next best melding (Fabled) uses 3 rare 8-10 charms. Only issue is Juju melding requires vile frenzy + pure frenzy while Fabled only uses pure frenzy. At end game you're likely to have a lot more pure frenzy shards than vile.

Either way you can do Fabled melds till you have the spare viles and then do Juju and then repeat, Fabled melding (due to my lack of vile shards) was how I got that 7 Handi charm today actually, only even had enough spare junk charms to do one meld lol.

alrighty, but the higher tier charms are just always better to get than lower rarity? Like there aren't certain skills that are more plentiful on lower tier charms?

Also I'm already running out of vile frenzy D: is vile high or low rank?

jorgejjvr

alrighty, but the higher tier charms are just always better to get than lower rarity? Like there aren't certain skills that are more plentiful on lower tier charms?

I do indeed believe the higher rage rarity, the better.

-Alternis

Wolfe

Finally you can ditch that Fatalis CB of yours with something else :p

I'm actually still stuck with it on my most used mixed sets as they're either built around honed blade or the charm having sockets lol.

I did go through and swap a few pieces of a few other sets though even if that only meant replacing the charm that I was using (Handi+4/OOO) with the new one. Just wish it had sockets or a more usable skill, I enjoyed marathon runner in 3U but it seems rather lacking in 4U and I'd rather go with constitution instead.

Anything you find in lower rarity charms you can find a better version in higher rarity I believe, as I said it's just luck (stupid RNG). Vile frenzy is G rank but I'm not sure the specific requirements, it's a bit confusing since you'll start getting Vile and Pure shards together in quest rewards at some point.

I do indeed believe the higher rage rarity, the better.

-Alternis
Alright, good to know.
Anything you find in lower rarity charms you can find a better version in higher rarity I believe, as I said it's just luck (stupid RNG). Vile frenzy is G rank but I'm not sure the specific requirements, it's a bit confusing since you'll start getting Vile and Pure shards together in quest rewards at some point.
hm... I wonder if I get them from 10* caravan quests. Those might be easier to farm. Guess I'll do some research.

jorgejjvr

Available for a couple hunts.

-Alternis
Hit the jackpot! Completed my Death Stench set! It's so artistically perfect! It only has the Bounty Hunter skill, but each piece is the same rarity (8), and each piece has a shining yellow glow. Above that, I also have 5 points towards Readiness, Ferocity, Arcana, and Brawn, allowing me to choose between skills once I get the proper +5 charms for the respective skills. Having those +5 points everywhere also makes my set look super pretty when looking at my slots, it's really colorful and alongside the slots you see the rainbow color! Ah, as good as a relic armor set gets visually.

-Alternis

TRYING to get some Ancient Fragments for Artian armor, but man is this slow. T-T

But, it'll make the best looking armor I can get that I want for lancing, which is nice.

Just takes so damn long. T-T

Wolfe

Right on Alt :)

I'm still working on leveling my Damascus quests and so far I have a keeper chest piece but the combination of leveling the quests plus the RNG of the rewards kills me lol.

Then once I'm done with this set I get to start leveling my Rebellion quests. Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy the quests when I'm not doing them with randoms that leave immediately after carting XP

jorgejjvr

I realized I had pretty much double digits on every rare drop possible. I had 20 Daora gems, 26 Deviljho Gems, and 16 Deviljho Crooks. I had so much that I sold 5 Daora Gems, 13 Deviljho Gems, and 8 Deviljho Crooks. Unlimited Zenny right now :p

-Alternis

Wolfe

I realized I had pretty much double digits on every rare drop possible. I had 20 Daora gems, 26 Deviljho Gems, and 16 Deviljho Crooks. I had so much that I sold 5 Daora Gems, 13 Deviljho Gems, and 8 Deviljho Crooks. Unlimited Zenny right now :p

-Alternis

Lol it's actually been quite a while since I went through and thinned out my monster parts, seeing as how I've dipped down below 1 million Z I might as well go through the box again. Typically when I do that I take everything down to a 20 stack, should be quite interesting this time :p

Nohar

Why are there so many French people in this game? I don't get it... Are they even real French people, or the fake, Canadian kind?

... Where are you going with this line of questions exactly? (Aside from the fact that, yes, MH is popular in France).

LiQuid!

... Where are you going with this line of questions exactly? (Aside from the fact that, yes, MH is popular in France).

Nowhere, I'm genuinely curious. Why is MH so popular in France? I never see Spanish speaking people in any of my games, yet I connect to French speaking players almost every other hall I enter. The reason I wonder if it's Canadians instead is because I'd make more sense to me if I was connecting to people in like Quebec from where I am in the midwest, but it seems crazy to connect to actual French people in France from Wisconsin.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Nowhere, I'm genuinely curious. Why is MH so popular in France? I never see Spanish speaking people in any of my games, yet I connect to French speaking players almost every other hall I enter. The reason I wonder if it's Canadians instead is because I'd make more sense to me if I was connecting to people in like Quebec from where I am in the midwest, but it seems crazy to connect to actual French people in France from Wisconsin.
Pardon...

Je suis monté!

I dunno man... it's just that we love Nintendo consoles and Monster Hunter or Chasseur de Monstre as we call it.

Quan

Hi guys, I'm new to MH franchise and I really want to get to the game the best way possible.

I just bought N3ds and MH4. I could use some tips from you, and what is the best type of weapons for the newcomers.

Kater

Banned
Need help?

-Alternis
I was already done for the day with hunting when I wrote that message. I will do some more Diablos hunts possibly today though in case you are looking to help.

Hi guys, I'm new to MH franchise and I really want to get to the game the best way possible.

I just bought N3ds and MH4. I could use some tips from you, and what is the best type of weapons for the newcomers.

Every weapon is great, find the one you like the most and use that and go with it until the end game, then switch to another weapon type. That's what I did. (It was also my first game in the series if you don't count the 2 hours I spend fumbling around in MH3U ^^)

If you need some in-depth tutorials, check this channel out, it's a guy who made tutorials on any weapons and continues to pump out videos to make the lives of many Hunter noobs easier. (I would know, he helped me out a lot)

deim0s

Aside from gaijinhunter videos from youtube.... the first few quests have tutorials for all of the weapons. I guess anything with a shield is a good start as you can defend yourself by blocking. Depending on your play-style, you might find some monsters are easier to hunt with a certain type of weapon.

So do some or all of them to get a grasp to what fits you best.

I found the amount of items and bit and bobs that you found along the way to be really overwhelming.

First of all, I think the tutorial mission showing you how to make a potion is a really important one.

Always be fully prepared and stocked up when going out for a hunt.

Don't be greedy with bosses, they will punish you if you want to get more licks in.

If you're not gelling with a weapon style, try another one, there's so many different ways to go about things.

LiQuid!

Guys that come into other peoples' halls and post their urgent quests sure are funny!

Chuckpebble

Fancied getting 70 earthcrystals together to have a nice dragon weapon to use against dalamadur. Then I thought better of it and just posted a room. First Quest I haven't been able to solo. From 7 to 61.

Wanderer5

I mean, one time I had someone quit right at the beginning just because both monsters got aggroed at once. That guy didn't even give it a chance!

Just happened to me recently, twice, FFS. Holy crap I only encountered one quitter the whole time with this game before diving into this event, and now I got quitters for like 4 out of the 5 runs I did of this thus far.

Maybe I should just set up a room here tomorrow or such.

ChrisD

Fancied getting 70 earthcrystals together to have a nice dragon weapon to use against dalamadur. Then I thought better of it and just posted a room. First Quest I haven't been able to solo. From 7 to 61.

Best way to get Earth Crystals is by gathering Dundorma Tuna from Dundorma, then trading them to the Veggie Elder at the end of expeditions. It gets you a Slickaxe, which you can combine with (along with many other things) Earth Crystals. Gives you five Earth Crystals for the one + Slick.

Top Bottom