• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Wynnebeck

Banned
After 50+ hours of insect glaive, the love affair with Great Sword begins again. hnnng so good.

Been rocking it since MHFU. I love the feeling I get from stunning a monster with it. In other news, I just beat the Congalala for the first time yay. Now, I've been rocking the Rhenoplos armor for a hot minute. What are the best low rank armors for someone my level ?

jorgejjvr

Just happened to me recently, twice, FFS. Holy crap I only encountered one quitter the whole time with this game before diving into this event, and now I got quitters for like 4 out of the 5 runs I did of this thus far.

Maybe I should just set up a room here tomorrow or such.

Making a room here will be very effective. None of ever quit, even if everyone disconnects we still get to beat the quest most of the time (if it's realistically possible).

However, I'd say the only reason I would abandon a quest is either when the host abandons (as it is his room and only the Horst gets to make the call of abandoning or not in my opinion), or when I or everyone else disconnect and I don't feel like finishing the quest for whatever reason.

Truth be told, you'd probably only need one GAFer and you two would be able to finish the quest in 5-10 minutes, at least that's how it went for someone I recently helped.

I'm available now if you want to hunt, I'll help.

-Alternis
Not anymore.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Wanna hunt?

-Alternis

Sorry! I keep forgetting to check this thread while I'm hunting and I get wrapped up in it and hours vanish. We just went hard for like 5 hours straight. Did a bunch of quests with friends and got up to G rank. We bee lined it thru HR5-7 quests, so I think my gear might need some more catching up. My weapons in particular probably need some serious upgrading. Gonna spend the next couple days catching up on HR monsters that drop items I need for weapon upgrading.

You guys think it's worth grinding on some of the higher end HR 6-7 mons to get some of those later armor sets, or since I'm G rank now should I just go forward with my rath heart/soul sets (built them while HR 4-5) until I can get those? Basically I don't want to spend a lot of time grinding armor sets that are going to be obsolete right away.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sorry! I keep forgetting to check this thread while I'm hunting and I get wrapped up in it and hours vanish. We just went hard for like 5 hours straight. Did a bunch of quests with friends and got up to G rank. We bee lined it thru HR5-7 quests, so I think my gear might need some more catching up. My weapons in particular probably need some serious upgrading. Gonna spend the next couple days catching up on HR monsters that drop items I need for weapon upgrading.

You guys think it's worth grinding on some of the higher end HR 6-7 mons to get some of those later armor sets, or since I'm G rank now should I just go forward with my rath heart/soul sets (built them while HR 4-5) until I can get those? Basically I don't want to spend a lot of time grinding armor sets that are going to be obsolete right away.

If you have a Velocidrome guild quest at G-rank get that armor. It should last you through G2, you can get Attack XL, if you gem right, and a handful of other decent skills.

Nohar

Well, I have to admit I was wrong before: a Bow with only (high) raw damage can be devastating. I've been playing with the Seregios Bow (and the Star Knight Armor, with the following skills: Focus, Sprint Runner, Challenger+2, Load up and Rodeo God, though that last one isn't that useful for this weapon), and I'm quite happy with the results. This weapon may be a little overpowered. In any case, it is a nice change from playing Dual Blades (I only played DB in MH4U so far).

Shengar

Got an edgemaster+4/glovesoff+2 three slot charm. I don't really have sets that benefit from it atm though.
There two options that myself use:
Full Grand Divine Ire set but with its arm replaced by Kujula arms. With gem, you could get Challenger+2, Latent Power+2, Elememtal Attack Up, Razor Sharp, and Edgemaster. This is my general blademaster elemental set, I used it often against Chameleos since it doesn't roaring when get angry.

Black Belt Helm
Garuga X chest
Kujula Arms
Esurient Z Waist
Miralis drogues or Rathalos X Greaves
A weapon with at least one gem socket

This is my raw set. With gemming, you can easily get Challenger+2, Razor Sharp, Edgemaster, and HG Earplug. This set is pretty useful against monster that roar a lot, and plus it doesn't look bad at all when you changed the color of ths esurient z waist to purple.
Lol you and Shengar makin me feel like a 3rd rate hunter with my +7 Handi w/no sockets and my +4 edgemaster with 1 socket :p
My Handicraft+7 charm also don't have socket you know.
Well, I have to admit I was wrong before: a Bow with only (high) raw damage can be devastating. I've been playing with the Seregios Bow (and the Star Knight Armor, with the following skills: Focus, Sprint Runner, Challenger+2, Load up and Rodeo God, though that last one isn't that useful for this weapon), and I'm quite happy with the results. This weapon may be a little overpowered. In any case, it is a nice change from playing Dual Blades (I only played DB in MH4U so far).
Seregios Bow have that powerful gimmick that other bows don't have though.

co1onel

There two options that myself use:
Full Grand Divine Ire set but with its arm replaced by Kujula arms. With gem, you could get Challenger+2, Latent Power+2, Elememtal Attack Up, Razor Sharp, and Edgemaster. This is my general blademaster elemental set, I used it often against Chameleos since it doesn't roaring when get angry.

Black Belt Helm
Garuga X chest
Kujula Arms
Esurient Z Waist
Miralis drogues or Rathalos X Greaves
A weapon with at least one gem socket

This is my raw set. With gemming, you can easily get Challenger+2, Razor Sharp, Edgemaster, and HG Earplug. This set is pretty useful against monster that roar a lot, and plus it doesn't look bad at all when you changed the color of ths esurient z waist to purple.

Thing is, most of my weapons have +4 edgemaster, so I don't have much use for edgemaster charms. It's cool being able to get edgemaster on pretty much any set by using an edgemaster weapon, an edgemaster charm, and swapping out the headpiece for an edgemaster relic, but this only required a +2 edgemaster charm.

Shengar

You can easily tinker the second set for better skill then. Two sockets chest piece with add in HG Earplug due to double Torso Up is especially potent for gemming.

Chuckpebble

Best way to get Earth Crystals is by gathering Dundorma Tuna from Dundorma, then trading them to the Veggie Elder at the end of expeditions. It gets you a Slickaxe, which you can combine with (along with many other things) Earth Crystals. Gives you five Earth Crystals for the one + Slick.

Thanks! The 20 or so Coinperch L that I caught as well sweetened the deal at 2500z a piece :)

jorgejjvr

Does someone want to carry me in MonHun?

Hmm? Carry you?
Why exactly would we do that?
I mean, we could help you rank up or get monster materials and such, but you have to do your part as well. What's the point of playing MH if you're getting carried and not experiencing the whole thing? Plus, if you're carried, you might miss out on some important information.

-Alternis
@LiQuid!
Dang dude! G rank already? What were your thoughts on the HR6-7 monsters? Like Brachydios, Stygian Zinogre, Brute Tigrex, Azure Rathalos, Deviljho, Rajang, Akantor, Dalamadur, Ukanlos, Teostra, and Kushala Daora?

Hmm? Carry you?
Why exactly would we do that?
I mean, we could help you rank up or get monster materials and such, but you have to do your part as well. What's the point of playing MH if you're getting carried and not experiencing the whole thing? Plus, if you're carried, you might miss out on some important information.

-Alternis
@LiQuid!
Dang dude! G rank already? What were your thoughts on the HR6-7 monsters? Like Brachydios, Stygian Zinogre, Brute Tigrex, Azure Rathalos, Deviljho, Rajang, Akantor, Dalamadur, Ukanlos, Teostra, and Kushala Daora?

Just wanted to raise my hero level so I can do the DLC Nintendo stuff.

I will of course play my part.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
@LiQuid!

Some of the final HR monsters were kind of dumb. I don't like the set piece style monster fights like the giant sand whale, and the giant lazer snake. Basically anything fought in its own arena. It just feels like they are damage sponges while you try to avoid being one shot by their room sweeper finishing moves. We fought that lazer snake 3 times last night and never failed it, but I did die a few times on its dumb lazer move. It's just annoying and makes the fight not fun. It feels like it removes the skill.

Some of the other high rank stuff was rad tho. That fire chimera was memorable. Like I said, we bee lined it, so I didn't get a good feel for most of the stuff. I need to spend more time farming on those guys to get a sense for them.

jorgejjvr

Some of the final HR monsters were kind of dumb. I don't like the set piece style monster fights like the giant sand whale, and the giant lazer snake. Basically anything fought in its own arena. It just feels like they are damage sponges while you try to avoid being one shot by their room sweeper finishing moves. We fought that lazer snake 3 times last night and never failed it, but I did die a few times on its dumb lazer move. It's just annoying and makes the fight not fun. It feels like it removes the skill.

Some of the other high rank stuff was rad tho. That fire chimera was memorable. Like I said, we bee lined it, so I didn't get a good feel for most of the stuff. I need to spend more time farming on those guys to get a sense for them.

Do you wish to hunt together? Are you available?

Yeah, Teostra is quite fun but challenging as well. Deviljho is just a Tyrannasaur pretty much :p

-Alternis
So wait, does that mean you don't like fighting Akantor or Ukanlos? They have their own arena (inside a volcano and in a cold polar field respectively) but they fight like monsters that are just big. It's not like they're the sand whale or the snake.

Akantor is the Black and giant King Dodongo with two fangs and Ukanlos is his counterpart with a shovel as a chin.

LiQuid!

Yeah I killed both of those guys and they were less annoying than the lazer snake, but they were both still very damage spongy and their attack patterns weren't clever enough to make having to spend 20 minutes fighting them interesting. I much prefer fighting monsters in the open areas that you have to move around to chase and can use traps and things to help bring them down.

As for hunting, I'm taking some time off. At least a day or maybe more. I played thru some finger pain last night that got severe overnight. Might have to go to the hospital. Go go gadget obamacare.

tuffy

Dah'ren Mohran and Dalamadur are the MH equivalent of those Street Fighter stages where you'd beat up on the car - only here the car occasionally hits back. I find they're okay as a change of pace since the usual hunting rules don't apply, but their largely scripted nature means they get old pretty fast.

Dah'ren Mohran and Dalamadur are the MH equivalent of those Street Fighter stages where you'd beat up on the car - only here the car occasionally hits back. I find they're okay as a change of pace since the usual hunting rules don't apply, but their largely scripted nature means they get old pretty fast.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of either of them. Unfortunately will have to buckle down and grind them for the weapons at some point, though. Not looking forward to it.

LiQuid!

Doing some 5-7 star stuff for mats to upgrade a couple of my weapons, come help me!

ed: nm maybe later

LiQuid!

Friend of mine: I just want to type at this guy and tell him he's a shitter

Me: Hey man, accidents happen

Friend of mine: Yeah, like this guy getting ahold of Monster Hunter

jorgejjvr

Friend of mine: I just want to type at this guy and tell him he's a shitter

Me: Hey man, accidents happen

Friend of mine: Yeah, like this guy getting ahold of Monster Hunter

I'm curious as to what caused this conversation to occur.

What did the poor Hunter do?

-Alternis

LiQuid!

Helped a guy in a random hall kill Ol' Lazersnake. First attempt 2 people died and peaced out on us. We kept trying but died some time after his second phase started when I died to his one hit KO nonsense. Then we tried again with 3 people after someone else joined the room and got it. I was the only one of us to not die. I learned a nice trick from a stream the other day to bring a lot of farcaster materials and just warp back to camp whenever he starts doing lazer bullshit. Worked like a charm.

jorgejjvr

Helped a guy in a random hall kill Ol' Lazersnake. First attempt 2 people died and peaced out on us. We kept trying but died some time after his second phase started when I died to his one hit KO nonsense. Then we tried again with 3 people after someone else joined the room and got it. I was the only one of us to not die. I learned a nice trick from a stream the other day to bring a lot of farcaster materials and just warp back to camp whenever he starts doing lazer bullshit. Worked like a charm.

I usually just superman dive through the laser and it never fails me.

-Alternis

LiQuid!

Yeah, I haven't quite mastered the superman dive. Maybe some day. For now I just pop a farcaster anytime he even looks at me funny.

Had a lot of fun just now hunting with a random group of dudes. I basically lead us back to all the HR7 monsters I got basically carried thru last night to get to G rank. So I redid mons like teostra, stygian zinogre, etc with a more properly geared group.

Anybody got any tips for farming some zenny? I was thinking about doing felyne explorer runs to sell off the weapons I get from ancient shards but I dunno if there's some better method. I'm down under 20k zenny atm from having to upgrade a couple of my axes. I also got designated the official quest poster for this group I was just in (not even my hall, wtf) and we BARELY made it thru a lot of those quests with 2 deaths, so I've been hemorrhaging money!

I need to get at some silver rathalos so I can upgrade my fire axe, but the 2 times I got into pub groups to fight him were disasters. It's on my to do list next time I get my gang of ass kickers together.

Elija2

Man, the Rajang is kicking my ass. There are so few opportunities to get any hits in without getting hit yourself, and when it hits you it hits HARD.

jorgejjvr

Yeah, I haven't quite mastered the superman dive. Maybe some day. For now I just pop a farcaster anytime he even looks at me funny.

Had a lot of fun just now hunting with a random group of dudes. I basically lead us back to all the HR7 monsters I got basically carried thru last night to get to G rank. So I redid mons like teostra, stygian zinogre, etc with a more properly geared group.

Anybody got any tips for farming some zenny? I was thinking about doing felyne explorer runs to sell off the weapons I get from ancient shards but I dunno if there's some better method. I'm down under 20k zenny atm from having to upgrade a couple of my axes. I also got designated the official quest poster for this group I was just in (not even my hall, wtf) and we BARELY made it thru a lot of those quests with 2 deaths, so I've been hemorrhaging money!

I need to get at some silver rathalos so I can upgrade my fire axe, but the 2 times I got into pub groups to fight him were disasters. It's on my to do list next time I get my gang of ass kickers together.

Usually I when I just need money I do whatever monster that I don't need (preferably with the amount of money you need and making sure to check for rare materials before selling everything). For example, I'm at endgame G Crown, so I practically hunt practically and G Crown monster like an elder Dragon or something I've done before and don't need parts from, then I chef if there's anything rare, get the rare stuff, and sell everything else. One quest alone nets a lot of money that way.

Silver Rathalos in a noteworthy challenge. He's not too hard, but his extremely dense armor plating and fighting style make sure only those who know what they're doing will succeed.

Remember that you can always call on us XP

-Alternis
To the person with the Rajang post, he's actually not that hard. It may sound cheesy, but he's not that hard if you get to learn him over time. Heck, I can manage a 140 Rajang with ease if I'm with good players (and that says a lot as any of his moves will kill you instantly at that point).

He's a huge glass cannon. He pours out all this speec and damage while in reality he has INCREDIBLY low HP to make up for it, especially if you hit the arms or legs.

He also has lots of openings, actually. Just find them. After the laser beam he's wide open, and sometimes he does this ground pound/pin that leaves him open too. He's fairly easy to trip too, which helps.

The only thing I worry about with him is that after an attack, he may choose to jump back (the jump animation hurts). It's not too bad, but I instinctively sheathe and run do to that usually being paired with triple homing blanka balls. Besides that, sometimes after an attack he will do his flurry punches, but that's avoidable if you evade right.

Overall, he's not to bad. You just need more experience. Most of his attacks (except for like the flurry punch and homing fist stomp) are long range, so yeah, get in close. As for avoiding the homing stomp, I run as far as I can. If I have my weapon out, I run away and evade at the last second.

LiQuid!

Hey, on the equipment screen there's columns for the name of your gear, a column for slots and then a third column called "Col" what is that column?

Top Bottom