• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

Newbie question: I'm up to caravan 3 and I just got another egg quest, along with the some crystal item quest. Do I have to do these :l They are so, so tedious especially the egg ones. I don't want to be missing out on anything though.

Any way to do them online with pugs?

Let's just say that if you do all the egg quests, you're rewarded with what happens when one of them hatches..

-Alternis

tuffy

What if you need a weapon for multi-monster quests?

And yeah, I think it looks great too.
That's probably what it's best for. Just add Load Up, Element Atk Up, etc. But there's not a lot of those quests with wildly different weaknesses to take advantage of it, which is a little disappointing.

jorgejjvr

I know about the crouching thing, it just never matters on like 90% of hunts and I always forgot until about carve 3 or 4 when I'm cutting large monsters with 6+ carves. I'd do it instinctively every time I carved but I'm always afraid I will roll like a dipshit while I'm approaching the carcass.

Good luck gettin the rest of the mats together. Silly that you don't have enough shells after all those times we smoked him.

Carving while crouched is the only way to get all 9 carves from a Fatalis without speed gathering (provided you roll to the next carving spot and immediately crouch afterwards to carve again).

-Alternis

Deband

Newbie question: I'm up to caravan 3 and I just got another egg quest, along with the some crystal item quest. Do I have to do these :l They are so, so tedious especially the egg ones. I don't want to be missing out on anything though.

Any way to do them online with pugs?

I'd recommend building the transporter set from this link.

Helped me a ton and I think I made the set very early on.

c94879e57917bb44611dc76ec33c7427.gif

Wat.

2f67d389fcc0902c766bf0e8b4ddab8e.gif

Wat, wat

d9e19a708e2af73427007171c58e708e.gif

Wat

1fec8f2819d5c301e79dc08b0b933b24.gif

WAT

May have to go back to using the bow in MHX...

Double WAT.

MHX really looks like fun to play. I can't wait.

"Blade" Bow + Aerial Style. Can you just imagine. That's it folks, I'm giving up my blades. I've used the bow mostly in MP, but not being able to sever tails (only with that really weak melee attack) was a major bummer. With this, all my issues are gone.

Kater

Banned
The bad news is that you'll have to do all the Caravan egg-carrying quests solo.

The good news is that they're optional quests. Doing them all for completionism opens up some nonessential stuff, but they're not something you need to tackle right away.
Then you'd miss out on one of the most fun fights though!

Probably my favourite solo fight in the whole game with an Elder Dragon.

That's probably what it's best for. Just add Load Up, Element Atk Up, etc. But there's not a lot of those quests with wildly different weaknesses to take advantage of it, which is a little disappointing.
Does load up effect the amounts of shots you do in Rapid Fire as well? I'm pretty new to Gunning and never tested out the skill myself.

Edit:

And OH. MY. GODDESS.

That looks so awesome. *w*

tuffy

Then you'd miss out on one of the most fun fights though!

Probably my favourite solo fight in the whole game with an Elder Dragon.
The early egg quests will be needed for the coveted rainbow pigment too. They're more bearable with a good supply of Mega Dash Juices and/or Pro Transporter, at least.
Does load up effect the amounts of shots you do in Rapid Fire as well? I'm pretty new to Gunning and never tested out the skill myself.
Bonus Shot adds another bullet to your rapid fire volleys. Load Up just adds a single bullet to each clip of loadable ammo. In the case of the Absolute Bowgun, going from 3 shots per clip to 4 shots cuts out 5 reloads for every 60 shots, which is a lot less time standing around over the course of a hunt.

Beats

I don't remember which video it was, but I remember GaijinHunter saying that one of the styles for MHX doesn't have any invulnerability frames on their dodges. Anyone know which one it is or have the video link?

jorgejjvr

I don't remember which video it was, but I remember GaijinHunter saying that one of the styles for MHX doesn't have any invulnerability frames on their dodges. Anyone know which one it is or have the video link?

Aerial style. With aerial style, you have no invulnerability frames. He did say you can sidestep with the aerial style, but didn't emphasize if the sidesteps have invulnerability. It was the video where people were playing the demo, hunting the Great Makow.

-Alternis

Back awake and still need low rank zinogre pieces. Let me know if you're free :p I'll make a room if there's interest.
think that's the aerial style. They get the jumps on exchange.

Kater

Banned
The early egg quests will be needed for the coveted rainbow pigment too. They're more bearable with a good supply of Mega Dash Juices and/or Pro Transporter, at least.

Yep, every egg quest up to the Rathalos/Rathian one if I remember that correctly.

They were so easy to do with my G-Rank gear. I'll never attempt to do them starting out with the game, way too much of a hassle.

Bonus Shot adds another bullet to your rapid fire volleys. Load Up just adds a single bullet to each clip of loadable ammo. In the case of the Absolute Bowgun, going from 3 shots per clip to 4 shots cuts out 5 reloads for every 60 shots, which is a lot less time standing around over the course of a hunt.
Thanks! I see. I use Reload Speed +2 to compensate for all the times I have to stand around and reload.

Now, should I switch sets and get something that gives me the skills you mentioned instead or is the skill I use okay too?

Back awake and still need low rank zinogre pieces. Let me know if you're free :p I'll make a room if there's interest.think that's the aerial style. They get the jumps on exchange.
Sure, I'll help. :p I need your GH ID tho.

tuffy

Thanks! I see. I use Reload Speed +2 to compensate for all the times I have to stand around and reload.

Now, should I switch sets and get something that gives me the skills you mentioned instead or is the skill I use okay too?
In my experience, faster reload speed is better for ammo types that naturally reload slow, like pierce or dragon shots. But for normal or elemental shots that reload pretty fast, it doesn't seem to make any difference once the speed gets down to "Average". Cutting out reloads entirely by upping clip sizes seems more advantageous.

Unfortunately, the Load Up skill itself is annoyingly expensive to gem in and Bonus Shot only slightly less so.

Kater

Banned
I completely forgot that I shouldn't shoot at the monster while someone mounts, my mind was somewhere else since I had a phone call. Sorry about that. :s

So white fatty is pretty awesome. His weapons don't seem like anything special though. Armor looks cool at least. Might try to make the set.

Kater

Banned
In my experience, faster reload speed is better for ammo types that naturally reload slow, like pierce or dragon shots. But for normal or elemental shots that reload pretty fast, it doesn't seem to make any difference once the speed gets down to "Average". Cutting out reloads entirely by upping clip sizes seems more advantageous.

Unfortunately, the Load Up skill itself is annoyingly expensive to gem in and Bonus Shot only slightly less so.
So it would actually be more useful for HBGs then who use Pierce shots more. I'll remember that for future armor making decisions. ^^

And yes, a lot of skills for Gunners seem to be hard to get.

So white fatty is pretty awesome. His weapons don't seem like anything special though. Armor looks cool at least. Might try to make the set.

Oh, were you one of those two hunters I was with? I was Shi-Hanz.

jorgejjvr

Horrible luck, honed blade, constitution +1, critical eye +3, with only 2 O (single) slots. Not the best set. Though when fully upgraded each armor piece has 156 defense.

Some of his weapons are superior to other thunder weapons.

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

The wonders of playing with randoms <3

If you want to do more later I'll join you. Need a wyvern gem and rathalos seems like a good way to do it.
Or not. Why does rathalos not drop these? capcom, pls.

Wyvern gems are from monsters with no specific stone, ruby, gem, sphire, etc. of their own. Examples include Khenzu, Diablos, and Najarala.

-Alternis

upandaway

There's a ton of amazing themes in 4U (like usual with the series) but I guess I'd pick Teostra probably. It's really intense, especially on a Lv140 quest. All of the end bosses especially have great music.

Ugh I give up. 2 days trying and this random got it after 2 tries. I need some air. I've fought him so much I'm just so over this guy. And why does he always go for me with his poisonous claws. I hate you Rathalos.

Wolfe

What's your guys favorite Monster music?

Mine has to be Kushala, somehow it always makes me think of Final Fantasy 4.

I'm gonna say white fatalis, most themes I forget till I fight that monster again. W. Fatalis' stays with me though, kinda haunting track.

Beats

I think I like Teostra's or Brachydios' the most. Non-monster music is probably the one that plays in the Weapon Gallery theme for me. Dunno where it plays in the game though besides that one time during that one caravan quest.

jorgejjvr

I'd say definitely Deviljho's theme. Back in the third generation, hearing that theme sent chills down your spine and you knew you'd either encounter a grizzly death or an epic battle to the death.

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

lol Should I go back and finish up the major 1-4* quests or just keep trucking? I want to farm Gore now for the armor set, but people keep talking about this Ceneataur Crab thing has a really good set too.

It's a mix of Gore and Ceneataur (whose parts you can only get from trading, not any actual quest) armor that gives you sharpness +1 (either gives you more sharpness, but more MUCH more often than not upgrades your sharpness bar. For example, green becomes blue, blue becomes white, and white becomes purple). You can search up the set online.

I'd say it's your choice, but I'm leaning towards keep going.

Although completing all low rank quests earn you with rainbow pigment.

-Alternis

It's a mix of Gore and Ceneataur (whose parts you can only get from trading, not any actual quest) armor that gives you sharpness +1 (either gives you more sharpness, but more MUCH more often than not upgrades your sharpness bar. For example, green becomes blue, blue becomes white, and white becomes purple). You can search up the set online.

I'd say it's your choice, but I'm leaning towards keep going.

Although completing all low rank quests earn you with rainbow pigment.

-Alternis

does "all low rank quests" include the 6* elder dragons?

Top Bottom