• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

Just made probably my best armor set I'll ever be using ever unless I need to go on serious hunts.

Garuga Mask
Fan Club Goldsuit
Uniqlo Watch
Uniqlo Pouch
Uniqlo Slacks

Gives HG Earplugs, Latent Power +2, Sharpness +1, Speed Sharpening, Evade extender (primarily for SA use).

Oh god, frankly I don't care that it has 699 defense, it just looks awesome and hilarious at the same time XD

Sadly I can't post photos but if anyone wants to look at how ridiculously epic this set looks, make a room. Plus I'm up for some hints.

-Alternis

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd say definitely Deviljho's theme. Back in the third generation, hearing that theme sent chills down your spine and you knew you'd either encounter a grizzly death or an epic battle to the death.

-Alternis

God, I always hated hearing that theme in 3U. Especially soloing because it meant I had to dung bomb whatever I was fighting, kill Jho, that asshole, then go back to killing whatever it was I was fighting in the first place. No musical theme has ever had a similar affect on my mood before or since.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It's a mix of Gore and Ceneataur (whose parts you can only get from trading, not any actual quest) armor that gives you sharpness +1 (either gives you more sharpness, but more MUCH more often than not upgrades your sharpness bar. For example, green becomes blue, blue becomes white, and white becomes purple). You can search up the set online.

I'd say it's your choice, but I'm leaning towards keep going.

Although completing all low rank quests earn you with rainbow pigment.

-Alternis

Ok well I have some pieces I can start trading for Ceneataur pieces so I can get this Gore/Cenea set. Thanks!

jorgejjvr

Ok well I have some pieces I can start trading for Ceneataur pieces so I can get this Gore/Cenea set. Thanks!

Anytime! Although I advise you play online and offline equally considering that each mode either helps the other or unlocks more quests for the other.

I'd say you should be fighting generally the same monsters in both modes.

-Alternis

Dang, I disconnected >.<

I'm sorry about that xc

I think that's the game's way of telling me to call it a night, so I hope others join and you have a fun night!

-Alternis
Honestly perhaps that set isn't the best performance wise xD

I ended via subquest and my cat nabbed a mantle, so I guess it ended up okay in the end.

Tarps

Here's my current horn set, It's a lot of fun and I think it looks pretty sweet.

Helios Helm X
Garuga Mail X
Star Knight Vambraces
Vangis Coil X
Star Knight Greaves

2x Evasion Jewel 2
3x Spirit Jewel 2
1x Evasion Jewel 1
1x Earplug Jewel 1

Which gives me:

HG Earplugs
Razor Sharp
Challenger +2
Evasion +1

Earplugs make great windows for extra attacks, and also ensures my recitals don't get interrupted. Razor Sharp because I hate to sheathe and sharpen the horn and the extra iframes from Evasion +1 are so handy.

I pair this set with the upgraded gog horn which gives me Def up (L) Health up (L) and the insanely good Attack up (L)

I want to upgrade the vangis coil x to an esurient version, (both have torso up) for a few extra points in defence. I think this means I need to hunt a savage jho in G rank, but I have no idea where to find one.

I also should practice a bit more with the Seregios horn, I hear it's good especially for negating stamina use, I might even build a set for it.

370 hours into this game, and I still have loads on my to do list!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What's up with all 4 people randomly disconnecting from a quest. Doesn't happen too often but it's weird when it does. Me a friend and 2 randoms were fighting a kushala and all the sudden we were both fighting it solo when everybody DC'd from each other.

Wanderer5

Just joined a group and beaten White Fatalis. Man that intro, and DAT MUSIC. Was a pretty enjoyable fight, even through the part where it flies off and sends down a series a lightning strikes got the best of me at first.

Shengar

White Fatalis is cool but still no G Rank Fatalis and Dalamadur?
Someone with JP DLC, please let me finish my Militant Dalamadur ;__;

NewGame

Banned
What is the best support melee weapon?

Hunting horn is pretty straight forward for this.

But you can also try out Wide Range+2 armor skill along with Sword n Shield and Great Sword. Using a status weapon is also plausible but you might find it less effective without the armor skills related to status use.

Try out Sword and Shield with Wide Range+2 and use potions to heal your party when things get difficult. You can also use might seeds and antidotes.

Mind you, supporting in Monster Hunter is only to make a saving move in a dire situation, if your group are totally overwhelmed by the monster expect to run out of heals and not finish the quest. :(

upandaway

The para DB family (chum-chum and melynx), for monsters weak to para like Gravios it's especially effective

And if you're gonna SnS + Wide Range, don't forget Speed Eating.

NSESN

Hunting horn is pretty straight forward for this.

But you can also try out Wide Range+2 armor skill along with Sword n Shield and Great Sword. Using a status weapon is also plausible but you might find it less effective without the armor skills related to status use.

Try out Sword and Shield with Wide Range+2 and use potions to heal your party when things get difficult. You can also use might seeds and antidotes.

Mind you, supporting in Monster Hunter is only to make a saving move in a dire situation, if your group are totally overwhelmed by the monster expect to run out of heals and not finish the quest. :(

Thanks, i think i'll make a Hunting Horn set after i reach G crown, the only two times i met a HH user he/she was relly useful to the party

So I just caught up on the mhx demos, and everyone who's not so pleased with the gaudy effects should look at the sa video. Perhaps it's me, but it looks like that might be the effects on low, or perhaps they got toned down since all the subsequent videos seem less obnoxious.
Oh, also a few questions pertaining to my LBG adventures:
Normal 2 or Normal 3 or Pierce or Pellet? I'm not sure what to use when I'm not using elemental or status shots. Pierce and Pellet both seem good for very large monsters, while being good for 'long/wide' monsters or hunts with lots of subspecies respectively. Is that about right? Should I stick to Normal otherwise? In which case, which Normal shot is preferable?

Additionally, I seem to run out of elemental shot pretty easily. Is this just the reality, or should I be taking more time to make each shot more valuable and conserve ammo?
Oh, another thing. LBG + Aerial style sounds absolutely fantastic assuming sidehops still get iframes. Evasion +1/2/3 might be a bit less ridiculous, but perhaps that's for the best, giving a bit more diversity.

Additionally, I seem to run out of elemental shot pretty easily. Is this just the reality, or should I be taking more time to make each shot more valuable and conserve ammo?
That would help a little, but I'd say just bring the mats you need to make more ammo for when you inevitably run dry.

And combo books. Very important that.

tuffy

Oh, also a few questions pertaining to my LBG adventures:
Normal 2 or Normal 3 or Pierce or Pellet? I'm not sure what to use when I'm not using elemental or status shots. Pierce and Pellet both seem good for very large monsters, while being good for 'long/wide' monsters or hunts with lots of subspecies respectively. Is that about right? Should I stick to Normal otherwise? In which case, which Normal shot is preferable?

Normal 2 shot is good for things that aren't very large and/or have one small weak point - things like Zinogre's horn or Teostra's tail. Normal 3 is a little different because it's important to get ricochets to make good use of it, so I like to aim it under monster wings where the shot fragments can bounce around for lots of hits.

Pierce shots are good for large or long things whose hitzones are a little more consistent. For instance, I'll usually lead off Gore Magala or Diablos fights with pierce lv. 2. It's especially good on huge things like Dah'ren Mohran or the Dalamadurs.

As for pellet, just avoid it entirely. Its shotgun blast of hits is wildly disruptive to any blademaster type folks in the area. I don't want to get in the habit of using it even in single-player.

And the reality of elemental shots is that you'll never be able to carry a lot of them, even when bringing along combines for more; that's why LBG's ammo-conserving rapid fire feature is such a big deal with them. So place your shots carefully, but have secondary shots in mind if/when they do run out.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I need to hunt some high rank oroshi kirin but I don't have a clue how I would go about doing that.

tuffy

I need to hunt some high rank oroshi kirin but I don't have a clue how I would go about doing that.
The Caravan 10 star quest "Advanced: A Hero's Icy Test" would be the easiest hunt. The Gathering Hall event quest "Kirin Acquisition" would be the hardest. And a Guild Quest of the appropriate level is somewhere in-between.

LiQuid!

The Caravan 10 star quest "Advanced: A Hero's Icy Test" would be the easiest hunt. The Gathering Hall event quest "Kirin Acquisition" would be the hardest. And a Guild Quest of the appropriate level is somewhere in-between.

Ok thanks, I've been twiddling my thumbs at caravan 8. I'm gonna bee line those and do it that way.

Ok thanks, I've been twiddling my thumbs at caravan 8. I'm gonna bee line those and do it that way.

Should check out that double kirin G-rank quest :p
Normal 2 shot is good for things that aren't very large and/or have one small weak point - things like Zinogre's horn or Teostra's tail. Normal 3 is a little different because it's important to get ricochets to make good use of it, so I like to aim it under monster wings where the shot fragments can bounce around for lots of hits.

Pierce shots are good for large or long things whose hitzones are a little more consistent. For instance, I'll usually lead off Gore Magala or Diablos fights with pierce lv. 2. It's especially good on huge things like Dah'ren Mohran or the Dalamadurs.

As for pellet, just avoid it entirely. Its shotgun blast of hits is wildly disruptive to any blademaster type folks in the area. I don't want to get in the habit of using it even in single-player.

And the reality of elemental shots is that you'll never be able to carry a lot of them, even when bringing along combines for more; that's why LBG's ammo-conserving rapid fire feature is such a big deal with them. So place your shots carefully, but have secondary shots in mind if/when they do run out.

Forgot I hadn't responded to this since I was on my phone. Thanks for the write up, this covers most of my issues.

One thing, though, is the damage on Normal 2 better than the damage on Normal 3 if it doesn't ricochet?

tuffy

One thing, though, is the damage on Normal 2 better than the damage on Normal 3 if it doesn't ricochet?
It does, but not by much. It only takes 1 or 2 ricochets for normal 3 to equal the power of normal 2, and a single bullet can potentially ricochet a lot more than that if placed in a good spot.

It does, but not by much. It only takes 1 or 2 ricochets for normal 3 to equal the power of normal 2, and a single bullet can potentially ricochet a lot more than that if placed in a good spot.

hm, alright. Think I'll put some time in to figuring out how ricochets work. They seem a bit inconsistent with smaller monsters, so for those I'll default to Normal 2. Thanks for all your help. I'll pick your mind again soon, I'm sure.

I too am lagging behind on Caravan I feel like I should just say "screw it" and do the key quests only just like I am doing in the guild ones. I'm still stuck in LR in SDP and I kinda want to move up to start building some nu tingz

Samemind

Lol.

First time I fought him I thought my 3ds was messing up.

I think it's cool that he had this sort of gimmick back in 1st/2nd gen, but it does feel kind of odd without the other half of his gimmick. Basically in Gen 1 and 2, when you got spotted by Khezu, the game didn't flash an "eye" icon on your status to indicate being spotted by a large monster. That played into how it doesn't have eyes and tracks prey by body heat. Since you weren't technically "seen", the game didn't trigger the usual signs of being in combat with a large monster. This allowed the Khezu to surprise the player as depicted in the Khezu ecology video, because you didn't have tertiary signs of its presence.

In monster hunter 4, you do get the "spotted" status as well as the lock-on icon appearing, which spoils the whole thing.

Kater

Banned
Planning to do G-Rank Teostra and maybe make it a turns room after we are done farming that one.

GH ID

55-9721-2605-6473

pw: 3535

Edit: Opened up the room, but still, feel free to join.

EDIT:

Closed meow.

jorgejjvr

Is there any use in using the Drive Wystone if I already have Steady Hand?

You always, ALWAYS bounce on Apex Monsters. This include things that normally never bounce, like the switch axe in sword mode, mind's eye/steady hand, and level three great sword charges.

-Alternis

Elija2

steady hand doesn't prevent bouncing on apex

That makes sense.

Anyone have any tips for The Master's Test quest? It's really easy to accidentally aggro both monsters, but even when I'm fighting him one-on-one the Apex Seregios pretty much kills me in two hits. Maybe I'm not ready for it? I'm at G3 and I feel like I've got a good armour set and weapon.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Can anyone explain why I can't find Gore Faulds when trying to forge armor? The Gore/Cean set needs it, but I can find every other piece except the faulds. Help?

jorgejjvr

Can anyone explain why I can't find Gore Faulds when trying to forge armor? The Gore/Cean set needs it, but I can find every other piece except the faulds. Help?

Some equipment doesn't appear unless you have one of the mandatory pieces to make it.

For example, the Gore Faulds need:

Gore Magala Feeler
Gore Magala Wing x2
Gore Magala Shell x4
Killer Beetle x3

If you can't see it, you don't have one of these items in your inventory.

-Alternis

jorgejjvr

That makes sense.

Anyone have any tips for The Master's Test quest? It's really easy to accidentally aggro both monsters, but even when I'm fighting him one-on-one the Apex Seregios pretty much kills me in two hits. Maybe I'm not ready for it? I'm at G3 and I feel like I've got a good armour set and weapon.

I finish it within 10 minutes or less with fully upgraded Star Knight gear and the Hellruin Glaive "Omen"

Their aren't many tips. Just know how to handle apex, how to handle those three, and how apex changes those monsters. I will say, the gate is a lifesaver (pressing one of those buttons on the left or right sides of the arena near the middle will activate a gate that splits the arena into two areas. Therefore, if you want to focus on just seregios, make sure the diablos is on the other side of the pit, activate the gate, and you have a few minutes with him before the gate goes down. Once it goes down, it takes a few minutes/seconds to recharge).

-Alternis

Elija2

I finish it within 10 minutes or less with fully upgraded Star Knight gear and the Hellruin Glaive "Omen"

Their aren't many tips. Just know how to handle apex, how to handle those three, and how apex changes those monsters. I will say, the gate is a lifesaver (pressing one of those buttons on the left or right sides of the arena near the middle will activate a gate that splits the arena into two areas. Therefore, if you want to focus on just seregios, make sure the diablos is on the other side of the pit, activate the gate, and you have a few minutes with him before the gate goes down. Once it goes down, it takes a few minutes/seconds to recharge).

-Alternis

My Star Knight armour set isn't fully upgraded (haven't gotten any divine armour spheres) but I think it should be good. And yeah, I've been trying to activate the gate but it's hard to do with both monsters separated. I always end up activating it with both on the same side, and at that point I might as well give up.

jorgejjvr

My Star Knight armour set isn't fully upgraded (haven't gotten any divine armour spheres) but I think it should be good. And yeah, I've been trying to activate the gate but it's hard to do with both monsters separated. I always end up activating it with both on the same side, and at that point I might as well give up.

Well, if you can take down apex monsters online, you can do it here as I'm sure they have less health, but retain the damage of G rank apex monsters (perhaps even more? It feels like they do a lot).

I always try to bait diablos to charge at me so that once it finishes its charge, provided that seregios is on the other side, I can go to the seregios side and set up the gate since seregios doesn't have fast movement.

-Alternis

Wanderer5

Think I going to work on white fatalis a bit more, to make its lance, and have it with the star knight armor (probably try to get Evade +2 also), so to make a decent dragon atk set or such.

co1onel

Each armor piece only needs one specific part for it to show up in the crafting menu. Gore faulds for example, need at least one gore magala feeler to unlock. Kiranico tells you which monster piece you need for every armor piece to show up.

It's always odd when a set requires a bunch of different items so you only have like 2 pieces unlocked or something. That throws me off with regularity.

What're you referring to?

-Alternis

Because of the way armor piece unlock at the forge, you can get some pieces but not the full set available, which can be a bit funny. For example, I think I'm missing 1 or 2 pieces of the rathalos set, even though I can not only view but make all the other pieces lol.
1 piece. Don't have a tail I guess.
Can't decide if I want to make sets for all the element atk+ skills right now or in high rank... decisions. I'm so close to high rank, too...
Beat Shaggy. Fight is way more interesting as a gunner.

Top Bottom