• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Finally got my 2 rajang horns. Got another pub group for the ages. It still took about 6 kills before we were able to get 2 complete double horn breaks, but I got it. Now to do it all again with FURIOUS rajang, whatever the hell that means, and with an 80% drop rate now, rather than the 100% from the regular-ass rajang. Oh, and I need a rajang heart... So close, yet so far, far away...

Finally got my 2 rajang horns. Got another pub group for the ages. It still took about 6 kills before we were able to get 2 complete double horn breaks, but I got it. Now to do it all again with FURIOUS rajang, whatever the hell that means, and with an 80% drop rate now, rather than the 100% from the regular-ass rajang. Oh, and I need a rajang heart... So close, yet so far, far away...

Furious Rajang is a "subspecies" of Rajang, although it isn't listed separately like Black Diablos, Tidal Najarala, etc. He's like the Rajang except he'll occasionally howl at the moon, causing his arms to turn red. When they're red, they absorb bullets and arrows and I think you'll bounce there no matter what.

Because he isn't listed as a separate subspecies, you can't search for him specifically. Instead, you just have to remember which quests he appears in: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/monster/furious-rajang

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I really really really really really really really really need to start checking the idiots that enter my pub halls before going on a quest with them. I hate having to judge people on their gear but trying to fight furious rajang with 400 defense as a blademaster is not going to cut it sir, but thank you for trying and triple carting our quest.

Half dozen attempts, one success, no horn break, and the idiots even captured it when I said I needed kill. That'll do for today.

I really really really really really really really really need to start checking the idiots that enter my pub halls before going on a quest with them. I hate having to judge people on their gear but trying to fight furious rajang with 400 defense as a blademaster is not going to cut it sir, but thank you for trying and triple carting our quest.

Half dozen attempts, one success, no horn break, and the idiots even captured it when I said I needed kill. That'll do for today.

people who want to capture everything blow my mind. Just cannot understand that mentality.

LiQuid!

people who want to capture everything blow my mind. Just cannot understand that mentality.

On some specific items a capture can give you another chance to roll on it where it isn't available via carve. It's not a common thing, and I'm fairy sure nothing from rajang is capture only, whereas body carves give 3x chances to get a heart from him. I think the reason people just do it willy nilly is just to shorten the fight, even by just a few swings.

On some specific items a capture can give you another chance to roll on it where it isn't available via carve. It's not a common thing, and I'm fairy sure nothing from rajang is capture only, whereas body carves give 3x chances to get a heart from him. I think the reason people just do it willy nilly is just to shorten the fight, even by just a few swings.

eh... I'm pretty sure people just don't know capturing gives less rewards. Another thing the game never really says, afaik.

Hopefully in future the intro will be less boat-bound autoscroller and more "here are some things you need to know", since the game really doesn't explain much of anything of use.

tuffy

If you just want to get the quest over with for progression and don't care about rewards, capturing can be a good time-saver if done properly. And there are some parts that can't be gotten through body carves, so capturing is vital in those instances too. But just capturing all the things - regardless of what someone is trying to farm - isn't a good idea.

How do I go about farming gold rathian? I don't seem to have the quest even though I've downloaded all DLC. Is there something I need to do to unlock it?

tuffy

How do I go about farming gold rathian? I don't seem to have the quest even though I've downloaded all DLC. Is there something I need to do to unlock it?
It's an episodic quest. Talk to your housekeeper and select "Sweetheart Square Off" under "Episode Selection". That'll open up a quest chain in the Elder Hall. As I recall, the first two quests are pretty easy and probably something you could solo. Gold Rathian is the final one and can be re-posted as often as needed.

It's an episodic quest. Talk to your housekeeper and select "Sweetheart Square Off" under "Episode Selection". That'll open up a quest chain in the Elder Hall. As I recall, the first two quests are pretty easy and probably something you could solo. Gold Rathian is the final one and can be re-posted as often as needed.
Wonderful, thanks. Need to get that sns

tuffy

My cart is acting weird lately :/

Is there a way to transfer my save to the digital version?
There is. Download the free "Save Data Transfer Tool" from the e-shop. Then once you've installed the e-shop version of MH4U, run the transfer tool with the cart inserted. It'll move your save over to the e-shop version, clean out the save on the cart, and you'll be all set.

The more I play SnS, the more convinced I am that it's a better mounting weapon than the IG in areas with lots of ledges. Seriously so many mounts.

I don't know about more mounts but the mounts have a lot more flash when you do them with SnS that is for sure.
I made that post specifically after playing with someone who was also using an SnS and who also was going for lots of mounts. That hunt was basically Mount -> Trap -> Mount -> Paralyze -> Mount -> Mount -> Paralyze -> Mount -> Dead. I swear the Gravios was spasming on the floor more than it was actually fighting back.

Oh, I also just today heard that in MHX you can attack monsters while they're being mounted apparently without repercussion. Mixed feelings on the change.

tuffy

Oh, I also just today heard that in MHX you can attack monsters while they're being mounted apparently without repercussion. Mixed feelings on the change.
As I understand it, attacking while mounted actually helps the person doing in the mounting in MHX. I like the sound of that change because it's more intuitive and consistent with how a hunt usually operates; it encourages other hunters to keep up the attacks at all times instead of backing off and twiddling their thumbs while somebody else does all the work. Though presumably they'll balance it out by making mounts more rare to keep people from spamming it all the time.

Good hunts, wolfe and co.. Was seeing some nasty lag. Think my connection is bad today as other things have also been giving me trouble.
As I understand it, attacking while mounted actually helps the person doing in the mounting in MHX. I like the sound of that change because it's more intuitive and consistent with how a hunt usually operates; it encourages other hunters to keep up the attacks at all times instead of backing off and twiddling their thumbs while somebody else does all the work. Though presumably they'll balance it out by making mounts more rare to keep people from spamming it all the time.
Yeah, that last bit is the hope. If people could attack during mounts, with the current mounting mechanics absolutely every fight would be totally trivialized.

Why are Deviljho's hitboxes so massive? He's worse than Freedom Unite Plesioth. He's almost impossible to kill with Dual Blades. Insect Glaive was so much more manageable.

Guys this is fantastic. From GaijinHunter's latest video, he went to the MHX event and just look who he got to show off his shirt and movement to:
NWauebh.jpg

Kojima-San, the Producer for the games and
FcrkesD.jpg

Shinoasa-San, which apparently was also a producer in MH4G and is now also a producer for MHX

Gaijin is a true trooper, advocating for us here even though he lives in Japan. Really good stuff. He has 3 videos out already on his channel of the trip and the day he spent playing, he will be having another one about all the stuff he played. He got to try all weapons so it should be pretty good!

Samemind

Why are Deviljho's hitboxes so massive? He's worse than Freedom Unite Plesioth. He's almost impossible to kill with Dual Blades. Insect Glaive was so much more manageable.

They're massive, but their size wasn't what made Plesioth's bad. It was how they didn't match with animation, giving you a fuzzy idea at best of where you can get hit. Jho's hitboxes are accurate enough that you can actually slip through his legs without dodging when he does the shoulder tackle.

Over vacation I got G1, and I'm really pleased with the progress. What has vexed me to no end is trying to get the event gear. Specifically, the Legend of Zelda stuff. Akantor seems to just eat through blade masters. I've switched to HBG, but the focused breath attack will one shot me if I'm not careful. I had a chance at it after two of the players in my party dropped out and the third was hiding in the camp. Then he decided to come back out and get the final cart. It's too frustrating.

Prototype

So I started that Red Sonja playthrough and something really dumb happened....

I went back to my main file and all my sl registered sets, all my guild cards, and all my non registered GQs are gone... T_T

Keep this in mind if you make a second character. Didn't know this would happen.

tuffy

Over vacation I got G1, and I'm really pleased with the progress. What has vexed me to no end is trying to get the event gear. Specifically, the Legend of Zelda stuff. Akantor seems to just eat through blade masters. I've switched to HBG, but the focused breath attack will one shot me if I'm not careful. I had a chance at it after two of the players in my party dropped out and the third was hiding in the camp. Then he decided to come back out and get the final cart. It's too frustrating.
Akantor loves to inflict defense-down on blademaster types. If your hunter is emanating little puffs of smoke and there's a shield icon with two red down-arrows next to your name, you've got defense-down. Unlike Jho's defense-down which is fairly mild, Akantor's version is lethal and almost every move he does will one-shot hunters under its effect. Running through a Portable Steam Bomb or (I think) chugging an Armor Seed gets rid of it.

Not sure if that's the problem you're having, but I see a lot of hunters carted by that status effect so it's worth keeping an eye out for.

Akantor loves to inflict defense-down on blademaster types. If your hunter is emanating little puffs of smoke and there's a shield icon with two red down-arrows next to your name, you've got defense-down. Unlike Jho's defense-down which is fairly mild, Akantor's version is lethal and almost every move he does will one-shot hunters under its effect. Running through a Portable Steam Bomb or (I think) chugging an Armor Seed gets rid of it.

Not sure if that's the problem you're having, but I see a lot of hunters carted by that status effect so it's worth keeping an eye out for.

I find with Akantor specifically, you're better off trying to avoid the defence down effect (which I believe is inflicted by coming in to contact with his face while enraged, don't quote me on that) than trying to cure it. Especially when you're relatively low on resources since portable steam bombs and armor seeds aren't something a lot of freshly-G-rank hunters seem to have in surplus.

Generally I just go at his back legs and find the fight is pretty trivial up until I do something really stupid like trying to get a few hits in when he's surrounded by lava or some shit.

I find with Akantor specifically, you're better off trying to avoid the defence down effect (which I believe is inflicted by coming in to contact with his face while enraged, don't quote me on that) than trying to cure it. Especially when you're relatively low on resources since portable steam bombs and armor seeds aren't something a lot of freshly-G-rank hunters seem to have in surplus.

Generally I just go at his back legs and find the fight is pretty trivial up until I do something really stupid like trying to get a few hits in when he's surrounded by lava or some shit.

I'll have to keep that in mind for my next run. I have also been running into a lot of HR40s hunters who have no armor skills or decorations. Maybe I'll post my next hunt in this thread.

tuffy

I'll have to keep that in mind for my next run. I have also been running into a lot of HR40s hunters who have no armor skills or decorations. Maybe I'll post my next hunt in this thread.
I'll lend a hand if I can. I try to drop Portable Steam Bombs nearby if I notice Akantor's gotten somebody and those last quite awhile. Another option is to gem in the Iron Skin skill which takes just 5 slots.

I've noticed over the last few runs that it's quite a bit easier with an Insect Glaive. It's too hard to hit frenzied Deviljho with DBs for some reason. Its legs move around too much.

DBs aren't my wheel house, but I imagine they're pretty lack luster against all the really tall monsters

DBs aren't my wheel house, but I imagine they're pretty lack luster against all the really tall monsters
I got them to work fairly well with normal Deviljho, but it was still harder than with an Insect Glaive. I eventually managed to get the same kill times with both, but frenzied Deviljho kept moving too much. Trying to activate archdemon mode against him is a pain.

EDIT: Scratch that. Insect Glaives are MUCH better against Deviljho than Dual Blades. In fact, that seems to be the case for a lot of monsters in my experience.

co1onel

Try rolling through his attacks instead of avoiding them. His attacks are super orchestrated and very easy to predict.

Does Rajang have a better chance of dropping Divine Armor Spheres than Deviljho? If so, how do I get Rajang quests? Does he show up in expeditions?

Does Rajang have a better chance of dropping Divine Armor Spheres than Deviljho? If so, how do I get Rajang quests? Does he show up in expeditions?
There's apparently a rarity rating that goes along with the monster and determines rewards. Rajang is 2nd highest I believe. Would assume the elders are top tier.

LiQuid!

I have a G rank rajang guild quest if you want. Picked it up somewhere along the way while trying to farm him for parts. I've gotten a ton of divine spheres too, but I couldn't say how it compares to D-joe.

Okay so there's a post on gamefaqs of all places that explains this shit. I think DJ and Rajang should be the same.

Tangentially, I'm really hoping relics get removed in future games. I love expeditions and to a lesser extent GQs, but relics are such a dumb mechanic.

LiQuid!

As someone whose first MH game was 4U, I have found almost all of the tertiary systems in this game to be convoluted ass. The relic system so far has been ridiculous and just a way to get my equip box filled up with trash. I guess super high level some of this gear will be usable/good but for now it's just junk collecting. The talisman system is just as bad due to the number of useless talismans you get, BUT I think the talisman system being bad is just a symptom of the skill system in this game being bad. I really hate the way decorations and slots are set up in this game. I constantly have leftover slots I'm not using in my gear and oftentimes I don't even use the slots in my weapons because I want to have all of my skills usable regardless of which weapon I'm using.

Being a noob, I dunno how any of these systems have evolved over the life of the series, but if this is where they've ended up they could probably stand to go back to the drawing board on some of it. It kind of reminds me of how the pokemon games have gotten over the years. They keep adding layers of half baked design on top of all the stuff that's already existing over the life of the franchise and they rarely ever go back and redesign elements of the game that have gotten too convoluted or superfluous and so trying to figure out how to do things in those games has become a chore.

tuffy

The talisman system was even worse in 3U. There you were locked into a specific "charm table" at hunter creation time and the specific talismans you could get was set in stone. At least 4U resets each time you start the game and offers mechanisms to recycle old crappy charms for a chance at something better. I find the skill system itself pretty straightforward, but the lack of feedback when skills activate means a lot of players spend a lot of time not realizing it exists.

Relics are something I've just ignored entirely. I have a box full of blademaster weapons I don't use and armor pieces with points in combo skills I don't need. So I've either traded them all in for the caravan points (abrasives permitting) or sold them off outright. Since Guild Quests are going away in MHX, I'm not going to miss them.

PKrockin

The relic weapons don't bother me. It's the relic armor that I end up filling my equipment box, "just in case I need this prayer +5 leggings".

As far as armor, talismans, and decorations go, there just need to be more convenience features. You should be able to search through your equipment box or the blacksmith's armor list by skills or slots. Decorations should be automatically unequipped when switching equipment sets. Skills should only have one name, and decorations should not have their own name for no reason. It's ridiculous that to get the skill Scavenger or Gourmand you increase your points in Gluttony by equipping Metabolism Jewels. The equipment box should be able to be organized in several logical ways. There should be a dressing room sort of option where you can try on multiple pieces of armor, talismans and decorations to see how they look and what the skill points add up to, then add that set to a wishlist so you don't forget.

The talisman system was even worse in 3U. There you were locked into a specific "charm table" at hunter creation time and the specific talismans you could get was set in stone. At least 4U resets each time you start the game and offers mechanisms to recycle old crappy charms for a chance at something better. I find the skill system itself pretty straightforward, but the lack of feedback when skills activate means a lot of players spend a lot of time not realizing it exists.

To make it even worse, 5 of the possible 17 tables were "cursed", meaning that they only had 800~ possible charms (compared to the thousands of possible charms on the normal tables) and they were all generally considered useless. Supposedly there was one cursed table that had no 3-slot charms and one cursed tables prevented you from ever getting Rustshards.

Prototype

Anyone have any double monster GQ with GS bias for Dragonseal, Flash, or Bolt?

Dragonseal I'm looking for Black Diablos and Brachydios

For Flash I'm looking for Deviljho

For Bolt I'm looking for Seregios and Diablos

Would like dual monster quests. Done a ton of Expeditions and having really bad luck getting the GQs I want.

I can trade Black Diablos, Deviljho, 2x Deviljho, 2 x Brachydios, Seregios, and Diablos, all GS bias. Don't know the armor. I don't care what armor parts are on the GQs you would give me.

I have a G rank rajang guild quest if you want. Picked it up somewhere along the way while trying to farm him for parts. I've gotten a ton of divine spheres too, but I couldn't say how it compares to D-joe.
Oh, I missed this comment. Thanks, but I just got a Shagaru Magala quest. Gave me a divine armor sphere as early as level 113.

Top Bottom