• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

KingBroly

Banned
Congratulations! Welcome to hell!

Well...I assumed it would be easy after the Urgent to get to G rank was a cake walk with an HR 999 in the group :p Still a fun romp of a battle, though.

Now monster hunter begins.

So like Dark Souls? Honestly, I find Monster Hunter more difficult than Dark Souls, because the combat is a lot more stiff, requiring more timing, precision and thought.

My goal right now is to get some better armor and weaponry, because I don't think what I have cuts it. I'd like to get the Power Suit and Zero Suit, personally, but I imagine those will be tough to get.

Kater

Banned
My goal right now is to get some better armor and weaponry, because I don't think what I have cuts it. I'd like to get the Power Suit and Zero Suit, personally, but I imagine those will be tough to get.
Those armor sets are easy to get, you only have to farm a quest with a couple of Shrouded Nerscyllas to get the items you need to craft them.

I'm trying to get back into MH4U after having played about 40 hours as a longsword user. I just started caravan 7 and haven't done much of the guild quests. I have velociprey S armor and will likely build double gore next.

My main question is is it worth trying to grind for elemental weapons as I go, or should I just keep using the crab cutter for a while, which seems pretty great all purpose?

I'm trying to get back into MH4U after having played about 40 hours as a longsword user. I just started caravan 7 and haven't done much of the guild quests. I have velociprey S armor and will likely build double gore next.

My main question is is it worth trying to grind for elemental weapons as I go, or should I just keep using the crab cutter for a while, which seems pretty great all purpose?
With longsword element is strong but not as necessary as with sns or dbs or something. I'd just use a weapon with nice sharpness and avoid something with really low raw or that is weak vs the monster you're fighting.

Do dual monster Guild Quests have a better chance of dropping divine armor spheres? I just got a dual Deviljho and Velocidrome quest.

EDIT: According to GaijinHunter, the only Velocidromes that can give Divine Armor Spheres are Ultra G-Rank ones, but Deviljho can give them before then. I don't have to level this quest up to Ultra G-Rank just because of Velocidrome, do I?

Prototype

Well...I assumed it would be easy after the Urgent to get to G rank was a cake walk with an HR 999 in the group :p Still a fun romp of a battle, though.

So like Dark Souls? Honestly, I find Monster Hunter more difficult than Dark Souls, because the combat is a lot more stiff, requiring more timing, precision and thought.

As you spend more time with each monster you'll naturally get more comfortable. I think you're on the right track, just collect whatever armor and weapons you need, now that you're in G Rank, everything you do counts so you can take your time and enjoy it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My quest to kill a furious rajang continues. I tried to do the caravan quest to fight him last night. I fought him for no kidding 30 minutes at least. Went thru every mega potion, potion, honey, max potion and even the 5 mega potions I went and farmed from the map and he still won.

I need a better cat configuration for this guy. I'd been using one of the dudes who has the team up power to rocket up and latch on to a monsters face. This is normally a good way to get some free hits on a monster but it just makes rajang go apeshit. What a hard-ass monster that guy is. All of the high level hunters I was hanging with have taken MonHun breaks and are playing other games, so I'm at the mercy of pubs to try and farm these things and life is BAD.

also

Banned
My quest to kill a furious rajang continues. I tried to do the caravan quest to fight him last night. I fought him for no kidding 30 minutes at least. Went thru every mega potion, potion, honey, max potion and even the 5 mega potions I went and farmed from the map and he still won.

I need a better cat configuration for this guy. I'd been using one of the dudes who has the team up power to rocket up and latch on to a monsters face. This is normally a good way to get some free hits on a monster but it just makes rajang go apeshit. What a hard-ass monster that guy is. All of the high level hunters I was hanging with have taken MonHun breaks and are playing other games, so I'm at the mercy of pubs to try and farm these things and life is BAD.
What weapon are you using? If you're using the Charge blade, just charge your phials by attacking small monsters, set a trap, unleash ultra burst, rinse and repeat.
Even if you are using other weapons, you should still use traps because he's a glass cannon and every hit counts. Just keep in mind that pitfalls only work on him when he's enraged.

But yeah, Rajang is right up there with Rusted Kushala Daora as my most hated monster; it's just to hard to land a hit on them without resorting to ''cheap'' tactics.

Watching some very good hunters take on Rajang has improved my understanding of that fight immensely. Still think he's a dickwad, but there are plenty of openings. Would not want to solo him, though.

Greatsword seems like a really nice matchup, so maybe I'll try that once I figure out the GS.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What weapon are you using? If you're using the Charge blade, just charge your phials by attacking small monsters, set a trap, unleash ultra burst, rinse and repeat.
Even if you are using other weapons, you should still use traps because he's a glass cannon and every hit counts. Just keep in mind that pitfalls only work on him when he's enraged.

But yeah, Rajang is right up there with Rusted Kushala Daora as my most hated monster; it's just to hard to land a hit on them without resorting to ''cheap'' tactics.

My problem is that I need to break his horns. If I were just going at him for the kill and that was it I would have much less problems, but I've been trying to trap/mount him and limit attacking him anywhere but the head until he's got no horn left.

I just killed him one time with pubs with horn break, so that's 1/2 of the horns I need and then I can start just annihilating him until he coughs up a heart for me. Wish those guys woulda stuck around for more kills. They were really good about trapping and head smashing.

Prototype

Watching some very good hunters take on Rajang has improved my understanding of that fight immensely. Still think he's a dickwad, but there are plenty of openings. Would not want to solo him, though.

Greatsword seems like a really nice matchup, so maybe I'll try that once I figure out the GS.

I've played GS since Tri, overall ~1000 hours, and I still feel like there's things I can learn, ways to shore up my game, become more efficient, ect. Part of the reason that I love the weapon so much. You start with Hit n Run, and before you know it, you're positioning yourself for charges before the monster is even there. With 4U and verticality (word lol?) things like what Anubis calls "screw attack" - immediately jumping off a wall the second you climb on to it, and various other maneuvers open up tons of new attack opportunities.

Likewise, it is useful for hunters to get into the habit of being able to quickly execute a rebounding jump attack (basically, face a wall and quickly press A, A, X to grab the wall, jump off, and execute the midair attack). I tend to think of this as the screw attack, and it is an excellent trick for triggering mounts/knockdowns and hitting elevated hitzones or flying monsters quickly without relying on the placement of ledges or taking the time to climb up a wall while attempting to carefully find a good position to attack from.

this is the link to his GS guide.
http://club1kjho.forumotion.net/t51-mh4u-greatsword-mini-guide-v1-0

The guy really knows his stuff, he pretty much wrote a bible on GS for 3U, excellent resource for anyone wanting to take their GS game to the next level.

D-Pad

Looking for hunters to collect Star Knight armor stuff (USJ: A colorful Feast, and whatever else it is), 2 slots!

Arena
Rank G3 required
Gathering Hall ID: 29-6182-1013-7414

... hope that's enough info.

Edit - opening to randoms
Edit 2 - But still slots available (2)
Edit 3 - full up

LiQuid!

I did it fuck you rajaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!!!!!!

Finished my halberd. Best looking weapon in the game IMO. I have no experience with long swords but it seems insanely straightforward. Can't wait to trip the shit out of my teammates with this bad boy!

I did it fuck you rajaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!!!!!!

Finished my halberd. Best looking weapon in the game IMO. I have no experience with long swords but it seems insanely straightforward. Can't wait to trip the shit out of my teammates with this bad boy!

Grats, man. I really like that longsword, too. Lots of really nice looking longswords, tbh.

LiQuid!

I need a better armor set to use with it now. Sick of all the stupid capes on G rank armor.

LiQuid!

So how does one get more Guild Quest variety?

I have 2 available right now, but they're both the same monster.

1. Ask your friends (us) if you're looking for a specific monster. I've got a bunch I could give you.

2. If you want to do it legitimately, just go on expeditions when you see a monster whose quest you want on it. Someone posted a wiki page with a list of the rarity of getting certain monster's quests from expeditions. I personally have had enough luck just by going on expeditions that feature the monster I need. Like I'm farming a garuga long sword now so I just checked expeditions after each quest until I saw garuga pop up in them and I now have low and high rank garuga quests.

Ratrat

Not sure where else to ask but...

does anyone know if I can play MHP 3rd on vita and ad-hoc with someone playing on psp?
Also, can you remap the camera to the right stick? And can I use a psp save?

SuperSah

Banned
About to upgrade to a N3DS.

This game has 60fps and better quality visuals, right? I've been playing on my OG so an upgrade would be nice.

Vuze

About to upgrade to a N3DS.

This game has 60fps and better quality visuals, right? I've been playing on my OG so an upgrade would be nice.
By far not a steady 60fps but definitely improved over the game running on the older model. In terms of visulas they've added anisotropic filtering and higher resolution mipmaps, it's a really great upgrade from O3DS.

Prototype

Anyone want to farm up some vile frenzy crystals?

I'm running really low. We can basically do any G2 or G3 quest that has frenzy monsters, but not apex, since those will likely give pure or various other crystals.

tuffy

Anyone want to farm up some vile frenzy crystals?

I'm running really low. We can basically do any G2 or G3 quest that has frenzy monsters, but not apex, since those will likely give pure or various other crystals.
Sure thing. Whip up a room and I can lend a hand for a bit.

Prototype

Ok, give me 1 sec
Edit.

ID is: 01 6579 7321 6523

1239 = Pw

Edit2.

Room is closed now

What I learned today is that regular G Rank k monsters are surprisingly weak. They are made of paper. After months of nothing but high level GQs it's weird to go back to "regular" monsters. They are top easy.

That said, I also learned that my skills as a hunter are quite specialized. I carted twice against GQ Zinogre. It was terrible. I've spent so much time fighting Deviljhos and Black Diablos (among a few others) that I was totally unprepared for a fight against a monster at that level in usually don't hunt. It was as a strange experience, to feel like the monster is brand new from lack of experience.

Wolfe

I carted twice against GQ Zinogre. It was terrible. I've spent so much time fighting Deviljhos and Black Diablos (among a few others) that I was totally unprepared for a fight against a monster at that level in usually don't hunt. It was as a strange experience, to feel like the monster is brand new from lack of experience.

That's how it goes with me for Rajang usually since I usually don't bother to fight him unless someone else in the room wants to at some point. I've been needing his parts for the FF armor for a while now but I keep forgetting about it since I'd rather not fight him to begin with I guess lol. Even when I'm competent at him it's not usually a fun experience for me. He's my special exception though lol.

Prototype

That's how it goes with me for Rajang usually since I usually don't bother to fight him unless someone else in the room wants to at some point. I've been needing his parts for the FF armor for a while now but I keep forgetting about it since I'd rather not fight him to begin with I guess lol. Even when I'm competent at him it's not usually a fun experience for me. He's my special exception though lol.
Ya, Rajang is a monster I avoid. Partly because he's a pain in the ass, and partly because his relic weapon for GS is the jawblade, which I think is ugly.
If he dropped a good skin in really wanted I'd spend more time on him, but as it is he and other monsters, I tend to avoid because there's I really need from them. Then, when I do fight them I do terribly.
Even though I'm a veteran hunter, it's hard jumping into a 136+GQ with a monster than you are unfamiliar with. It's a humbling experience, but it's also why I tend not to get upset when I play with others and they cart. It happens to everyone.

LiQuid!

This furious rajang set looks so good. Man it can be a total hassle to farm stuff in this game but the end result and looking like a total badass is so worth it.

Thoraxes

WVW69iVZH0QId8t3ne

So, I got this from a carve and then 2 from the post-hunt materials.

My only reaction is as follows:

F4efBSm.gif

Man, that village has my favorite music as it is, so I love listening to this!

LiQuid!

I have reached a time in my life when I am needing divine armor spheres en masse. What's a good monster to hunt for them? Most of the high-G rank versions of monsters seem like a real son of a bitch.

I don't suppose anyone could give me a hand with some HR stuff? Shaggy's been walling me pretty hard for the last few days.

Hall is 36 1637 4061 6406, no pass

upandaway

They're dumb and I hate them. They're the worst sort of game design I can think of for MH endgame. I've given up on trying to get max my sets. y'all will see me die once in a while and you'll like it.

I'm mad

They're dumb and I hate them. They're the worst sort of game design I can think of for MH endgame. I've given up on trying to get max my sets. y'all will see me die once in a while and you'll like it.

I'm mad

Just dont get hit dude. It is not that much worth to max everything since GQ 140 monster will one hit you regardless of armor.

tuffy

I've only maxed out a few sets - mostly made from the same parts - just because Divine Armor Spheres are such a nuisance. I'd need to go on expeditions in order to get Divine Spheres in order to update my armor in order to make it easier to survive going on expeditions.

I miss the days when maxing out a new armor set just meant mining a bunch of Meldspar Ore at the Volcano for the sphere combines.

Top Bottom