• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Is there a list of what type of Resistances I need for certain Monsters? Cuz that Desert Zamtrios wrecked me to hell and back.

honestly, I find resistances aren't the biggest deal. if something has lots of small elemental hits then it probably matters, but against something like T Zam that only has a couple special hits, it's not worth bothering. You're better off following the "just don't get hit" mentality.

...I'm pretty sure T Zam uses water stuff, though. I'm not sure about the attacks that paralyze. They may or may not have an element associated with them.

KingBroly

Banned
honestly, I find resistances aren't the biggest deal. if something has lots of small elemental hits then it probably matters, but against something like T Zam that only has a couple special hits, it's not worth bothering. You're better off following the "just don't get hit" mentality.

...I'm pretty sure T Zam uses water stuff, though. I'm not sure about the attacks that paralyze. They may or may not have an element associated with them.

He had water and electric.

After days (4, I think) of farming for divine armor spheres, I've finally maxed out both my Star Knight Armor (45 Divine Armor Spheres) and my White Fatalis Armor (30 Divine Armor Spheres). There really should be an option to buy these things like with True Armor Spheres in Freedom Unite. This has effectively discouraged me from making any more sets of armor, which is not something the game should do.

Anyway, I decided to test out my White Fatalis Armor on the DLC Apex Diablos, and I used the Blizzard and Blaze dual blades. Holy cow! I actually managed to kill it in 13-14 minutes on the second kill! It usually took me 17-22 minutes to kill it with the Hazy Caster.

The B&B dual blades have 350 raw attack power (along with 490 ice and 220 blast). Is that raw attack value good for end-game dual blades? The Le Shangri-La dual blades (Shagaru Magala) also have 350 raw and I'm wondering whether I should hone them for attack or defense. Many of my dual blades have 378 to 400-some raw attack. However, with my White Fatalis armor set-up, they would have 70% affinity. How I wish I could fit Crit Element on that.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like right now I'm at a position where I'm stuck playing with a lot of guys who simply boosted their way to G-rank and aren't actually any good. People just quit cuz they die and don't wanna take the loss or are simply jerks who want to play their way but don't communicate well at all.

It's really frustrating.

I feel like right now I'm at a position where I'm stuck playing with a lot of guys who simply boosted their way to G-rank and aren't actually any good. People just quit cuz they die and don't wanna take the loss or are simply jerks who want to play their way but don't communicate well at all.

It's really frustrating.

Early G rank is kind of a bitch, yeah. Lots of people in low HR gear and general clusterfuckery. There are some very strong players, but they're the minority.

KingBroly

Banned
Early G rank is kind of a bitch, yeah. Lots of people in low HR gear and general clusterfuckery. There are some very strong players, but they're the minority.

I'm probably going to switch my weapon. Insect Glaive just isn't working very well anymore. It starts becoming a problem at HR4-5 or so. Might go to the Switch Axe which is what I played in Tri.

I'm probably going to switch my weapon. Insect Glaive just isn't working very well anymore. It starts becoming a problem at HR4-5 or so. Might go to the Switch Axe which is what I played in Tri.

Wait what? Why isn't IG working? IG is probably the strongest weapon in the game. If you find you don't do enough damage you should try using the appropriate element vs the monster you're fighting, use a poison/paralysis weapon, or change the way you're playing.

KingBroly

Banned
Wait what? Why isn't IG working? IG is probably the strongest weapon in the game. If you find you don't do enough damage you should try using the appropriate element vs the monster you're fighting, use a poison/paralysis weapon, or change the way you're playing.

I have a Paralysis weapon, but it bounces off too much and I never feel like I'm doing the Insect correct, both in it's Points Distribution and in-battle.

I have a Paralysis weapon, but it bounces off too much and I never feel like I'm doing the Insect correct, both in it's Points Distribution and in-battle.

gaijin hunter has a video for kinsects, though I don't use the weapon so I can't tell you how specifically helpful it is. It may be that you need to look in to getting sharpness +1, razor sharp, or a weapon upgrade to help remedy the issues you're having. If you're not enjoying IG, then swapping is obviously the right thing to do but if you're only swapping because you feel weak in hunts, there's probably a more elegant solution.

I'm heading to bed so I can't help you out but perhaps one of the resident gaf IG users can point you in the right direction tonight or tomorrow.

jercruz

It's really frustrating.

I remember hosting a 140 rajang, all that joined have no wystones. Told them they need, dont speak english... Oh well, just left 😂

that DB (or, it's final form. not sure if that's what it's name is) is really really good.
Which ones, Blizzard and Blaze or Le Shangri-La? I can already see that B&B are good. I haven't used Le Shangri-La much yet. I once read that the Deviljho dual blades (which I also have) outclass them if used with Awaken and Sharpness+1, but my only Awaken set may or may not be able to get Sharpness+1 (if it can, I would have to sacrifice Challenger+2). Could I solo Shah Dalamadur with Le Shangri-La?

KingBroly

Banned
It is SO hard to find 4 players for G-rank Quests, let alone 4 players who are willing to stick through til the end. I've finished 2 G1 Quests this morning where in the end it's only been one other person and myself. It's insane. It takes such a huge toll on my resources.

I looked at IG as a late game weapon because of how slow the bug is by default. I am mainly an IG user now but from HR1 - G2 I was using SnS just because the bug was too slow. It really is dependent on how you build the bug. Although I hardly ever use the bug to attack. Its on my arm unless I need juice. Like normalfish said, GaijinHunter has a great video on upgrading the bug to be super effective as you go or even in one shot, it takes a bit of materials but its a nice bug. Although EVERYONE (including myself) use those bugs now.

Wolfe

Sorry Zet, thought I'd get by without a disconnect today given how long we'd be going. Either way good runs, got me a nice cowboy hat lol.

Dreavus

I looked at IG as a late game weapon because of how slow the bug is by default. I am mainly an IG user now but from HR1 - G2 I was using SnS just because the bug was too slow. It really is dependent on how you build the bug. Although I hardly ever use the bug to attack. Its on my arm unless I need juice. Like normalfish said, GaijinHunter has a great video on upgrading the bug to be super effective as you go or even in one shot, it takes a bit of materials but its a nice bug. Although EVERYONE (including myself) use those bugs now.

I'm nearing the end of HR village and I've been using the IG pretty much the whole way. I just feed him speed nectar to get him to move faster than a snail and I don't worry about the evolutions too much yet.

That double duration evolution sounds crazy good though. I've got the speed nectar from the merchant saved up but I don't think I'm high enough to get to the final line.

How do they even hack on a 3ds?

Custom Quests and save file edits are the two current hacks for the game. Can't really tell you how they're performed, but I imagine it injects code using one of the many exploits over the 3DS' lifespan. I would like to understand how people inject the custom quests, though. That seems like a rather atypical exploit. Maybe abuses DLC?

Custom Quests and save file edits are the two current hacks for the game. Can't really tell you how they're performed, but I imagine it injects code using one of the many exploits over the 3DS' lifespan. I would like to understand how people inject the custom quests, though. That seems like a rather atypical exploit. Maybe abuses DLC?

yeah, custom quests are usually obtained through the same DLC proxy method used to obtain the Japanese DLC quests. In the case of customs, of course, people create their own "DLC server" and there's even editors that do all the work for you so you just have to click "start proxy" and configure your 3DS' connection to download them.

I don't condone those "rare mats in the supply box" type quests but it's fun to fight giant Fatalis with friends. :)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just attempted G-rank Dahren 2 times with pubs and BOTH times I had a different pub cart 3 times on the final showdown. I wish I could do bodily harm over the internet sometimes.

H1PSTER

I seem to be really awful at doing combos with weapons and don't really like the GS, what weapon is a good middle ground between damage and combos GAF?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I seem to be really awful at doing combos with weapons and don't really like the GS, what weapon is a good middle ground between damage and combos GAF?

I've never tried GS so I can't compare, but switch axe and long sword both have looping combos that you can basically do forever to get a ton of damage on downed enemies.

Switch axe is basically draw attack into sword mode (R+X+A) then just alternate between X and A until you run out of sword juice. Or in axe mode do an upward swing with X+A, then just hammer the A button until you run out of stamina.

For long sword just do X, A, X, A+X, repeat. When monster is downed or immobile and your meter is full hit R 4 times until your gauge levels up, repeat that 2 more times for a red meter and max damage, but the initial combo stays the same.

There's more nuance to both weapons, but those are good bread and butter entry points.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Switch axe is basically draw attack into sword mode (R+X+A) then just alternate between X and A until you run out of sword juice. Or in axe mode do an upward swing with X+A, then just hammer the A button until you run out of stamina.

Don't forget to hit R right before you run out of stamina in that second combo, it deals a ton of damage. If you double tap R you do the decapitator and combo into sword mode, and can keep hammering away with no worries.

I'm on the urgent quest for Caravan 7 and getting ready to go through HR3. What things should I be multiplying? I've been doing dung bombs, might seeds and honey, but I'm getting close to having an abundance of the dung bombs and honey.

tuffy

I'm on the urgent quest for Caravan 7 and getting ready to go through HR3. What things should I be multiplying? I've been doing dung bombs, might seeds and honey, but I'm getting close to having an abundance of the dung bombs and honey.
Blue Mushrooms and Godbugs are good to make Nutrients. Combine Nutrients with Honey to make Mega Nutrients. And combine Mega Nutrients with Dragon Toadstools to make Max Potions. Thunderbugs to make Shock Traps and Ivy + Spider Webs (buyable from Wycoon) to make Nets to make Pitfall Traps are also good to have around.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Catalysts are annoying to make, so just multiply them too.

KingBroly

Banned
So I made it to Canthar(?) in Single Player and it's teaching me about Melding with Wystones. I don't get it.

Personally, I feel like Monster Hunter is one step away from making every co-op, which I hope happens.

So I made it to Canthar(?) in Single Player and it's teaching me about Melding with Wystones. I don't get it.

Personally, I feel like Monster Hunter is one step away from making every co-op, which I hope happens.

well you definitely didn't understand something, because you don't meld wystones lol. Perhaps it's charm medling with Maximeld?

Also, please don't force me to play with randoms any more than MH does already. Co-op is great but I still like just chilling out and soloing stuff. If everything was balanced for multi that'd be a pain. Nevermind the massive overhauls Capcom would have to do in order to make co-oping everything not a pain in the ass.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's charms dude, he's telling you how to meld charms.

tuffy

The Maximeld guy by the pot is basically a place to spend all the Frenzy Crystals the game will soon give you plenty of. He can multiply a small selection of items and monster parts. Or he can take charms you don't want and recycle them into a bunch of random new charms (which you might not want either).

LiQuid!

Anybody wanna kill G rank Shiggy til I get a mantle?

64-8369-4269-2082

Let me know if you want to join I'll kick whatever pub player we happen to have in the room.

Prototype

Anybody wanna kill G rank Shiggy til I get a mantle?

64-8369-4269-2082

Let me know if you want to join I'll kick whatever pub player we happen to have in the room.
I need S. Magala mantle

I'll join your room if it's open.

Gonna start 1 in the meantime.

12 8979 0319 6500
No pw

LiQuid!

I need S. Magala mantle

I'll join your room if it's open.

Gonna start 1 in the meantime.

12 8979 0319 6500
No pw

Are you Alucard in game? This guy in my room wants to fight more G rank but everybody in my party is done, I'll help with yours but I don't wanna keep fighting this guy with a random. Lemme know.

I found a video on Youtube showing a solo kill of a lvl. 140 Shagaru Magala with an INSANE custom set that might actually be better than the Star Knight Armor. The person in the video had

Honed Blade
Challenger+2
Razor Sharp
High-Grade Earplugs
Tremor Resistance (needs 3-slot weapon for this one)

Problem is, it requires the famed Edgemaster+4 ooo talisman. Is there any way to make edgemaster talismans drop more frequently? I have maybe one edgemaster talisman and it isn't very good.

Wolfe

Problem is, it requires the famed Edgemaster+4 ooo talisman. Is there any way to make edgemaster talismans drop more frequently? I have maybe one edgemaster talisman and it isn't very good.

I believe certain monsters have better drop rate for graven charms in the rewards but I can't recall which one/s. I know what you mean though as I'm still looking for one myself, closest I've got has been +3 OOO but 99% of the time you'll need one with +4 and the best I've found so far have both been +4 O with one having +6 prot also.

edgemaster = honed blade, right? What's the razor sharp hybrid skill?
The hybrid skill for this one is Steady Hand, and it gives Razor Sharp and Mind's Eye.

Earlier, I read on GameFAQS that a level 140 Velocidrome/Rajang Guild Quest has the best odds of giving edgemaster talismans. How would I even get such a quest? Aren't the monsters given by Guild Quests random?

Top Bottom