• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

Just got this. Got my Jaggi armor and some nice weapons. New to MH4 but not MH in general.

Most of the rooms I joined seemed to be full of powerleveling and random event quests. Are most of them like this, or am I just gonna have bad luck finding rooms early on?

Or should I just go back to SP and try to hit a certain point before jumping online?

You're having bad luck.

You can press Y before joining a room to see all of its members and their HR.

I suggest not hunting with low rank players who have armor and weapons that seem a lot more superior than yours. You see, people have discovered a way to make their own custom quests, like fighting Ukanlos and Akantor at the same time! However, people are abusing the power by creating quests like "Deliver 1 Potion" that has 99 of everything someone in G rank would ever need inside the blue supply box, and upon completion of such quests, one usually levels up instantly to HR 999 (as one can edit how many Hunter rank points you can receive at the end of the quest). Therefore, keep a sharp eye and be wary of anything suspicious. I advise that you learn all the names of the quests of your current HR as well as event quests (people can name their Custom quests and they may seem official, so be careful). I suggest refusing to partake in any quest that is any HR level above yours (in game a level HR7 can host a HR7 quest for a HR4 Hunter, but since you lack access to the official names of such quests, it is suggested not to partake in such quests).

This abuse has led to some HR1 hunters with fully maxed out end game gear and weapons.

So just be careful and safe when playing online, and if accidentally catch yourself in a suspicious quest, abandon if possible and DO NOT SAVE after the quest until you can make certain nothing was tampered with. If anything is changed, turn off without saving (no worries, after every quest you can choose to save your game).

Please don't try to take advantage of Custom Quests and please try to earn everything legitimately.

-Alternis

Wolfe

Map layout can fuck you over. Once I chased a Yian Garuga for almost a full 20 minutes because between area 1 and area 3 where Yian Garuga usually went to there is a labyrinth type area. I almost throw my 3DS in a fit of rage not because fighting Garuga but because how the fuck anyone at Capcom thought creating such area is a good idea.

Lol yeah no joke, always hate when that happens as I feel like I'm spinning my wheels when I was just trying to get some quick caravan points.

Taking a sick day at work so I've got time to play for a bit if anyone's still around.

56-4789-3418-1946

Edit: 2 open spots.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I take back what i said about G rank Black Gravios.
Apex Gravios is worse.

Dude, how many IG users did you have with you? I was in a group with 3 IGs and a hammer and we mess B.Grav UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

Question: Is there a list of what mushrooms do what with mushroomancy somewhere? I heard one of them is basically mega dash juice, so I'm using my +10 talisman on my new bow set. Is there anything more important I could be using my talisman slot to try and get on a bow set? Using the Gogma set, here's the innate skills it has.

ri3xgt5.png

jorgejjvr

Dude, how many IG users did you have with you? I was in a group with 3 IGs and a hammer and we mess B.Grav UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

Question: Is there a list of what mushrooms do what with mushroomancy somewhere? I heard one of them is basically mega dash juice, so I'm using my +10 talisman on my new bow set. Is there anything more important I could be using my talisman slot to try and get on a bow set? Using the Gogma set, here's the innate skills it has.

ri3xgt5.png

I believe a dragon toadstool is a max/ancient potion.

Hmm...the Silver Bullet skill is great for bows but hard to get. I hear Normal Up is good too. Focus is nice too.

Have you fought APEX Gravios though?

-Alternis

Nitroshrooms and Parashrooms are equivalent to Demondrugs and Armorskins, respectively. They last until you faint but don't stack with the kitchen buffs, so you'd usually get one buff from the kitchen and the other buff from the mushrooms. If you faint, you then eat both mushrooms and Dragon Toadstools (Max Potions) to completely rebuff.

You're missing out on Fast Charge, which is an extremely useful skill for Bows. IMO, you'd be better off with Fast Charge over Mycology, because of how many more shots you can take.

Wolfe

Sorry but gotta go.

Lol no worries dude, I had a super pee emergency and was imagining you having to go as well for whatever reason. Either way ended on a high note even if it took a while :p Ended up getting a half decent Netherblade out of it too. Either way good hunts, I always enjoy playing with ya Lazy.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody have any insight as to how well the sneak (Sense) skill works? I've got 6 free slots on my bow set and still really want to try mycology out, but if sneak works well that might be worth it for me because I'm still really insecure about getting singled out and juggle combo'd by monsters as a gunner.

Anybody have any insight as to how well the sneak (Sense) skill works? I've got 6 free slots on my bow set and still really want to try mycology out, but if sneak works well that might be worth it for me because I'm still really insecure about getting singled out and juggle combo'd by monsters as a gunner.

One thing that can help you avoid the wombo combo is staying down for a bit longer. If you don't push any buttons after being knocked down, you'll delay the actual standing animation and you'll be invincible the whole time. A lot of it is just really being aware of your positioning and a lot of practice. GAF rooms are pretty chill about it, too.

co1onel

I believe a dragon toadstool is a max/ancient potion.

Hmm...the Silver Bullet skill is great for bows but hard to get. I hear Normal Up is good too. Focus is nice too.

Have you fought APEX Gravios though?

-Alternis

I don't recommend silver bullet on bows. You'll be using the same shot type every shot, except for rare exceptions where the bow has different shot types on the 3rd and 4th charge. Silver bullet is more of a bowgun skill. IMO, focus and shot type-up are practically requirements for any bow set. Add load up to that if using the seregios bow.

I don't like sense because it means that the monster will be targeting your teammates more instead. You'll probably improve faster without it too.

LiQuid!

One thing that can help you avoid the wombo combo is staying down for a bit longer. If you don't push any buttons after being knocked down, you'll delay the actual standing animation and you'll be invincible the whole time. A lot of it is just really being aware of your positioning and a lot of practice. GAF rooms are pretty chill about it, too.

I have heard this before and tbh I haven't found that information useful. Usually when a monster is up my ass it doesn't matter if I get up quickly or as slow as possible, they are usually there long enough to do more dirty business if that's the plan. I did a couple molten tigrex hunts with my bow out and didn't cart at all during them. I've been playing pretty cautiously and probably could be doing more dps, but I haven't gotten yelled at or kicked from a hall yet, so all's well for now.

Sounds like I'll be skipping sense then. Mycology sounds really useful so I'm gonna put it on all my bow sets that don't need power coating slotted in. I've been finding myself with exactly 5 free slots on a lot of my bow sets oddly enough.

Wolfe

I have heard this before and tbh I haven't found that information useful. Usually when a monster is up my ass it doesn't matter if I get up quickly or as slow as possible, they are usually there long enough to do more dirty business if that's the plan.

I find it useful at times but it's not an end all to avoid taking damage while getting up, just another tool for us to use :)

jorgejjvr

I have heard (I may be wrong) that the way the monster chooses who to attack is like randomly picking up the numbers 1-4 out of a basket. Normally, if it picks your number, it attacks you. However, with Sneak, if it picks your number, it rerolls it, and if it lands on your number again, THEN it attacks. If not, it attacks whoever's number it picked.

However, I also heard it's a straight up skill that makes you get attacked 25% less but I doubt that.

-Alternis

co1onel

I have heard this before and tbh I haven't found that information useful. Usually when a monster is up my ass it doesn't matter if I get up quickly or as slow as possible, they are usually there long enough to do more dirty business if that's the plan. I did a couple molten tigrex hunts with my bow out and didn't cart at all during them. I've been playing pretty cautiously and probably could be doing more dps, but I haven't gotten yelled at or kicked from a hall yet, so all's well for now.

The trick is to time when you get up with the monster's attacks. Since it takes a couple of seconds to get up, it's best to start getting up in the middle of the monster's attack so that you get up as soon as it's over.

Make a room for progressing through G1. First mission is vs Daimyo Hermitaur. I enter 1 zone away from his spawn point so I go over there. Immediately get a mount. 1 team mate spawned on the exact opposite side of the map, other two members are sitting AFK in camp. Follow up the mount with a paralyze. Still the only one in the zone. Team mates start getting there, I get another paralyze. Immediately afterwards someone carts. Some time later another person carts. I get another paralyze and a mount. 2 people who carted have not returned. We kill the Hermitaur. Ugh...

Take that group for quite a few hunts and it goes decently. We beat T. Zamtrios and then they both drop. Wait for a couple minutes for the room to fill up a bit more. 2 people enter. Both using rank 5 weapons and Tetsu S armor. I say "eh, we'll see how it goes" and start Tidal Najarala. Beginning goes as expected. Both people are spending more time healing themselves than attacking the monster, so it's camping me pretty hard. I cart twice from this. Get a bit further, I trap and get a mount on the Najarala only to be immediately tripped repeatedly by the charge blade users. A little while later a paralyze and more tripping. Rinse and repeat for a while. Then one of them gets circled (only time in the hunt I wasn't the one getting circled around) and immediately carts. GG.

Randoms are so awful.

Shengar

Once I play with 2 randoms. The quest was a GQ 140 Double Rajang. We finished the quest sub-10, no one carted.
The top of the cream of randoms are incomprehensibly awesome when you have to think that the rest are infinitely awful.

Once I play with 2 randoms. The quest was a GQ 140 Double Rajang. We finished the quest sub-10, no one carted.
The top of the cream of randoms are incomprehensibly awesome when you have to think that the rest are infinitely awful.
Yeah, it feels really polarized. People are either pretty newbie or crazy good. Not much in between lol.

Would anyone like to do some G-rank hunts? We can do turns or whatever. My gear isn't super good, though :p

70-2700-7428-7816
Pass: 8888

Guess not. Closed it for now. Let me know if anyone wants to do something. I'm having a mellow day so I should be free whenever.

Rathian mantle is prolly one of the rare drops that's most eluded me yet also one of the ones I least need to use lol.

there's only 1 item that I really care about that takes a Rathian Mantle, and that's the ian SnS. Thankfully that's only for the final upgrade and that's a ways out. I have plenty of rathians to get through before then.
Got my maxed para SnS :O

AND GOT A RUBY

Are the Blizzard and Blaze DBs worth making? They need 2 Large Elder DragonGems. I have one, and I was planning to save 2 for the Twinbane Twilight DBs, although those aren't available yet.

All done grinding Brachy. Got a brand spanking new CB in my collection and it looks awesome. Gonna put an end to my playthrough here, tomorrow I'm going to continue progressing through Caravan 6 and HR4.

Welp, 1 key out from my G2 urgent.

Thank you folks for the hunts, they were fun. Paralysis is so awesome.

Sorry we couldn't do higher level hunts more. I hadn't realized how restricted G2 is. Next time I'll mention that in my initial post. Goodluck further :)
Sometime this weekend I'll have to recruit some folks to farm G rank elder dragons for some real gear. My armor is definitely starting to show its weaknesses.

Wolfe

Man I know I've been complaining a lot today, but Charge Blade users who never bother to try for KOs drive me up a wall.

I normally stick to super bursts but whenever I use an ultra burst on purpose (sometimes I mess up the buttons or whatever and will end up accidentally doing an ultra and usually missing) I feel a little bad. Even though it knocks the monster out it still usually sends someone flying XD

Welp, 1 key out from my G2 urgent.

Thank you folks for the hunts, they were fun. Paralysis is so awesome.

Sorry we couldn't do higher level hunts more. I hadn't realized how restricted G2 is. Next time I'll mention that in my initial post. Goodluck further :)
Sometime this weekend I'll have to recruit some folks to farm G rank elder dragons for some real gear. My armor is definitely starting to show its weaknesses.

No worries, as long as I'm playing I'm enjoying the game. Especially since I don't fight half those monsters regularly it's fun to see how well I can do (putting aside my obviously buffed up gear for that rank lol).

Glix

Hey GAF, I bought this over the weekend its great!!

Im very new to this series. I did a all the 2* quests that are available to me, got mostly jaggi gear, and did two expeditions. I cant play online during the day, should i hire these dudes in the hall and play the multi quests now? Im a little lost

Long sword is so popular :(

If anyone would like to do me a solid and help me with my last 2 G2 quests, I'd be appreciative. Awkward making a room for a quest with multiple unrelated mons.

tuffy

Hey GAF, I bought this over the weekend its great!!

Im very new to this series. I did a all the 2* quests that are available to me, got mostly jaggi gear, and did two expeditions. I cant play online during the day, should i hire these dudes in the hall and play the multi quests now? Im a little lost
Since the Gathering Hall quest line is totally separate from the Caravan quest line, you can technically do it whenever. But it's probably a good idea to prioritize the single-player side of things since there's a lot of tutorial-type quests on that side designed to show you the ropes. Then go back and complete the Gathering Hall quests later, possibly online.
Long sword is so popular :(

If anyone would like to do me a solid and help me with my last 2 G2 quests, I'd be appreciative. Awkward making a room for a quest with multiple unrelated mons.
I should be able to lend a hand in about 3 hours or so.

I should be able to lend a hand in about 3 hours or so.

Don't see any reason I won't be here.

Unrelated: Pubs are really so frustrating. I think I was right in never playing with randoms for my first play through. I'm so tired of being perma tripped while I try to lay a trap, people who immediately leave if anyone carts, players who are the equivalent of dead weight, either afking or running at a monster like a chicken without a head.

Apologies for the rants this week, I'm just not used to this.

Don't see any reason I won't be here.

Unrelated: Pubs are really so frustrating. I think I was right in never playing with randoms for my first play through. I'm so tired of being perma tripped while I try to lay a trap, people who immediately leave if anyone carts, players who are the equivalent of dead weight, either afking or running at a monster like a chicken without a head.

Apologies for the rants this week, I'm just not used to this.

I pretty much stopped playing with pubs when a guy awkwardly hit on me and then carted three times within the first ten minutes or so of the fight. Playing with GAF is more fun, anyway.

I pretty much stopped playing with pubs when a guy awkwardly hit on me and then carted three times within the first ten minutes or so of the fight. Playing with GAF is more fun, anyway.

...wow. lol. I really gotta get my special permit so that I'm not holding back the gaf group. At least G3 is fun.
Gog clearly the exception

So can someone explain to me or refer me to a place that explains mounting mechanics? I mean, obviously I understand the basics, but is the amount of damage/hits done in order to trigger a mount unique to each mon or is it constant? Additionally, why is it that sometimes I can have a very good mount (don't stab when it's pissed, stab when it's not, yada yada) and still fail it pretty decisively.

Example: I was just hunting B. Diablos and got bucked even though I didn't feel I had messed up the mount. Seemed like the roar was moving the slider far more than usual.

Gog is cool if you have a good group

it's so long, though D:

Only about 15 minutes with a good GAF group.

15 minutes of the same 3 moves. Honestly I think half of the issue with the fight, though, is the environment. The tiny little box with no ledges or anything makes it totally uninteresting to play if you're not using IG. It might be okay as a gunner though, dunno.

Wolfe

15 minutes of the same 3 moves. Honestly I think half of the issue with the fight, though, is the environment. The tiny little box with no ledges or anything makes it totally uninteresting to play if you're not using IG. It might be okay as a gunner though, dunno.

I feel the same way, I mean if you're playing it as designed and using all of the canon fire/dragonator/demolisher and whatnot it can be pretty interesting but typically I just find the fight to be rather boring and tedious. Monster so big you can barely see it from up close and yeah that big flat box you fight it in doesn't help. Either way I'm just not a big fan of him.

I don't have a problem hunting him and gladly will for others, I'm just not likely to post it myself lol.

Charms are such a butt to farm. I'm almost inclined to just beat up gore magala 50 times for pure crystals instead of doing this.

The part about charm melding that gets me is the Vile crystals, Pures I typically have over 100 of while Vile I have usually less than 10. I don't mind Fabled melding (putting aside the large difference in amount of charms you get back compared to Juju melding) except for the fact that you can only use non GQ rare 9 and 10 charms, whereas with Juju melding you get to use rare 4 to rare 7 charms. It's so much easier to have junk low rank charms that some times I can't even Fabled meld due to not having spare high rank junk.

Alright, I just need my urgent for G3. Figure I'll make a turns room until I go for dinner.

38-5560-3597-7902

2 slots currently open! - Still open as of 1900 EST

I feel the same way, I mean if you're playing it as designed and using all of the canon fire/dragonator/demolisher and whatnot it can be pretty interesting but typically I just find the fight to be rather boring and tedious. Monster so big you can barely see it from up close and yeah that big flat box you fight it in doesn't help. Either way I'm just not a big fan of him.

I don't have a problem hunting him and gladly will for others, I'm just not likely to post it myself lol.
I honestly dislike all the turret-like stuff in this game. It feels totally unsatisfying and like I'm not doing any damage, so I never use it if I can help it. Perhaps that's not so good for the team but I just can't be assed to suffer through that.
The part about charm melding that gets me is the Vile crystals, Pures I typically have over 100 of while Vile I have usually less than 10. I don't mind Fabled melding (putting aside the large difference in amount of charms you get back compared to Juju melding) except for the fact that you can only use non GQ rare 9 and 10 charms, whereas with Juju melding you get to use rare 4 to rare 7 charms. It's so much easier to have junk low rank charms that some times I can't even Fabled meld due to not having spare high rank junk.
Yeah, I've had horrid luck with melding, though.

Glad to help! Sorry my connection up and died there for a bit, but it seems to be up and working again now.

Well I just finished dinner so I might as well get back in to it. Will prompty edit this post with details :)

Anyone else is, obviously, welcome. We'll do turns. I'll cart a few times.

54-4044-6530-7503

1 Slot open

Top Bottom