• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tuffy

Cool. So, I'm assuming the ammo used in the video was Pierce lvls 2 and then 1. What are the pieces of armor used? Well, I guess I can just put it into Athena's Armor Set Search, but I'm curious.
It looks like:
  • Grand Amagi Jingasa
  • Brachydium Vest
  • Grand Amagi Kote
  • Brachydios X Coat
  • Diablos X Leggings

It looks like:
  • Grand Amagi Jingasa
  • Brachydium Vest
  • Grand Amagi Kote
  • Brachydios X Coat
  • Diablos X Leggings

I ran the skills through the Armor Set Search and found a different set-up that gets the same skills that I can make fairly easily, but its defense will be low. How important is defense for this fight? I imagine level 140 Shagaru Magala can OHKO even in the strongest gunner armor (he could almost OHKO me in maxed out blademaster armor, so half the defense seems like a OHKO no matter what).

tuffy

I ran the skills through the Armor Set Search and found a different set-up that gets the same skills that I can make fairly easily, but its defense will be low. How important is defense for this fight? I imagine level 140 Shagaru Magala can OHKO even in the strongest gunner armor (he could almost OHKO me in maxed out blademaster armor, so half the defense seems like a OHKO no matter what).
If you're confident enough to not take any big hits, it's easy to just forego defense and go all-out on offense. The guy in the video only gets grazed a couple of times, as I recall. I'm not that confident. I prefer to mix in a blademaster helm on almost all of my gunner sets for a big boost in defense even if it makes it harder to get all the skills I want. That usually means doing an advanced Armor Set Search, toggling on some helms and sorting by max defense. There'll still be some OHKO attacks, but you shouldn't be in range of the worst ones like Shagaru's sweeping flame breath.

If you're confident enough to not take any big hits, it's easy to just forego defense and go all-out on offense. The guy in the video only gets grazed a couple of times, as I recall. I'm not that confident. I prefer to mix in a blademaster helm on almost all of my gunner sets for a big boost in defense even if it makes it harder to get all the skills I want. That usually means doing an advanced Armor Set Search, toggling on some helms and sorting by max defense. There'll still be some OHKO attacks, but you shouldn't be in range of the worst ones like Shagaru's sweeping flame breath.
I've been getting better at dodging its attacks at close range, but I'm not too confident either. Still, better to try and see if I can get a sub-10 minute kill time rather than spend potentially days of farming it and taking 40 minutes each time.

Did the player in the video remove the limiter?

tuffy

Did the player in the video remove the limiter?
Definitely. The Furia Sedition normally has 4 shot pierce lv. 2 clips and it jumps to 6 shots with the limiter off. And it's not as if there'd ever be a safe chance to use crouching-fire against Shagaru solo anyway, so might as well take the limiter off for the damage boost.

Definitely. The Furia Sedition normally has 4 shot pierce lv. 2 clips and it jumps to 6 shots with the limiter off. And it's not as if there'd ever be a safe chance to use crouching-fire against Shagaru solo anyway, so might as well take the limiter off for the damage boost.
Thanks! I never use bowguns, so it's hard for me to tell.

tuffy

Thanks! I never use bowguns, so it's hard for me to tell.
You're in for some fun, I hope! The good news is that bowgun controls are really simple, but the bad news is that a level 140 Shagaru won't give much margin for error. I'd recommend practicing on "Heaven's Wheel", "Stop the Wheel" and "Wheel of Time" until you've gotten the hang of it.

Alternatively, here's an 11 minute run with the Seregios LBG instead. This hunter gets knocked around more often, but he's using a Heal-honed weapon to keep going without having to sheathe or heal. It's a novel approach that might be more friendly to newcomers.

You're in for some fun, I hope! The good news is that bowgun controls are really simple, but the bad news is that a level 140 Shagaru won't give much margin for error. I'd recommend practicing on "Heaven's Wheel", "Stop the Wheel" and "Wheel of Time" until you've gotten the hang of it.

Alternatively, here's an 11 minute run with the Seregios LBG instead. This hunter gets knocked around more often, but he's using a Heal-honed weapon to keep going without having to sheathe or heal. It's a novel approach that might be more friendly to newcomers.
OK. I already made a setup for the Seregios HBG (same skills as the HBG video, different armor combination) and started the HBG path, but I'll keep this in mind in case that doesn't work. What are the skills for the LBG?

OK. I already made a setup for the Seregios HBG (same skills as the HBG video, different armor combination) and started the HBG path, but I'll keep this in mind in case that doesn't work. What are the skills for the LBG?

LBG set is generally weakness exploit/ruthlessness, AuX/Challnger, Fleet Feet/Evasion, and maybe combo up since you're using Slicing shot.

Oh, and bonus shot. duh.

Okay, now that I've reminded myself....
Bonus Shot, Weakness Exploit/Ruthlessness, AuX/Challenger/Fleet Feet (AFAIK, AuX and Fleet Feet is best DPS since Challenger doesn't stack) are your core.

Relevant discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/34o36r/number_crunching_gaijins_seregios_lbg_vs/
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/32846e/seregios_lbg_discussion_slice/

tuffy

Judging from the YouTube description, he's got 通常弾UP which is Normal Up, 挑戦者+2 which is Challenger +2, 攻撃大 which might be some flavor of Attack Up, and 無慈悲 which is Brutality. I can tell he doesn't have Rapid Fire or Load Up active. It's hard to get a good look at the set but I can see he's got a Kaiser Vest X and Esurient Z coat though.

With this gunner talk going on... I should finally get through some more of 10* so I can get sororal gear.

Can someone explain to me how to get the distorted fragments for artian gear? I need 6 :eek:

Any good shots of the game running on New 3DS? Haven't seen much at all. Yeah I can check Miiverse, but they won't distinguish between 3DS and N3DS shots though.

Elija2

Any good shots of the game running on New 3DS? Haven't seen much at all. Yeah I can check Miiverse, but they won't distinguish between 3DS and N3DS shots though.

All of the screenshots on Miiverse are on the New 3DS since the old 3DS has Miiverse disabled while in-game.

Which in particular? I'm watching those livestream ones and they don't seem to have high-res textures like playing on a N3DS is supposed to show.

no textures in this game are "high res". They've got better filtering, but I don't believe the textures themselves are changed at all.
Maybe a G rank GQ would be better... having horrid luck. Anyone have a low G rank velocidrome or something?

Wolfe

Lol I just assumed I d/c and not that the room exploded.

I've still got time for at least a couple more hunts if you guys are still around.

40-7207-0190-4325

Beats

hm... farming expeditions for a random jho or farming jhos for a crook. decisions.

Well, the monster icon for Savage Jho will be there on the map before going on an expedition. So, you could just check the map in between other quests to see if it's there.

Well, the monster icon for Savage Jho will be there on the map before going on an expedition. So, you could just check the map in between other quests to see if it's there.

Still kind of a pain in the ass. Think I might just go Vangis X since I'm using the hat from that set anyhow. That leaves me with full rarity 9s but eh.
Lol I just assumed I d/c and not that the room exploded.

I've still got time for at least a couple more hunts if you guys are still around.

40-7207-0190-4325
doing some jho in this room now. 2/4 slots

This has been bugging me ever since Freedom Unite. Is it just me, or are bowgun bullets actually rocket-propelled spikes? That's what they looked like to me in that game.

tuffy

This has been bugging me ever since Freedom Unite. Is it just me, or are bowgun bullets actually rocket-propelled spikes? That's what they looked like to me in that game.
Pierce shot might be. That would explain why they do less damage at very close range and one needs to back up a little for critical distance.

Playing pretty awful tonight, my b.

On a positive note I've made the sexiest mix set ever.
IjZWtPC.png
Need to find me a better AuX charm, tbh. +11 and +10 are the best I've got, both with no slots. +14 3 slot would be godly.

Wolfe

Still kind of a pain in the ass. Think I might just go Vangis X since I'm using the hat from that set anyhow. That leaves me with full rarity 9s but eh.

doing some jho in this room now. 2/4 slots

I've got both Vangis X and Esurient Z, X having a charm with Fencing/Protection while Z has a Handicraft/Stamina setup so they both work pretty well. Savage Jho shows up randomly when the environment is set to unstable and he has a chance of being one of the, or the featured monster when the expedition is Rare so it's not too hard to find him if you check the expeditions often.

Youtube Link

Honestly the highlight of this for me is the "Jotaro" Pep Squad gear for Palico.

Well there ya go Fish, a Savage Jho... arena quest :x

Sounds like fun and frustration!

Something annoying (and present in 3U too) is how DLC quests don't get a tick when they've been completed, nor are they arranged in chronological order.
I've behind on all DLC since June (I think...?) but going through the quest lists I have no clue what I've done and haven't. Pretty silly.
At this rate it may be easier to just do all of them over again.

Has any DLC released with a guaranteed crown for Teostra?

tuffy

On a positive note I've made the sexiest mix set ever.

Need to find me a better AuX charm, tbh. +11 and +10 are the best I've got, both with no slots. +14 3 slot would be godly.
An interesting mix! But no Shot Up skill? Ah, must be a slicing shot set since it assumes a two slot weapon - like the Vayu Sedition.

I've got both Vangis X and Esurient Z, X having a charm with Fencing/Protection while Z has a Handicraft/Stamina setup so they both work pretty well. Savage Jho shows up randomly when the environment is set to unstable and he has a chance of being one of the, or the featured monster when the expedition is Rare so it's not too hard to find him if you check the expeditions often.

Well there ya go Fish, a Savage Jho... arena quest :x

Sounds like fun and frustration!
Yay
:(
Honestly I'm not terribly fussed about the waste piece now since the Vangis one matches better anyway (lol).
An interesting mix! But no Shot Up skill? Ah, must be a slicing shot set since it assumes a two slot weapon - like the Vayu Sedition.
yeah, using vayu sedition with this set. My charm limits what I can do pretty significantly at the moment, but hopefully that will be remedied soon enough.

But seriously, it looks like a full set cosmetically. Bit skimpy for my tastes but still.

Kater

Banned
Finally, G-Rank Savage Deviljho. Took 'em long enough.

STILL NO G RANK BLACK FATALIS?! How long are they going to make us wait?
Hm?

I just looked through the downloadable quests and there is one quest that seems to be G-Rank Black Fatalis.

It's strange that they haven't announced it in the video though.

Is there DLC for various levels or is a lot of it for later in the game/g rank? I just made it to Caravan 8 and haven't done any of it. I've also not done nearly enough of the palico stuff. I guess I should get on that as well?

Beats

Is there DLC for various levels or is a lot of it for later in the game/g rank? I just made it to Caravan 8 and haven't done any of it. I've also not done nearly enough of the palico stuff. I guess I should get on that as well?

Haven't really checked to see how spread out they are, but there's definitely a good amount of dlc quests for low/high rank.

Finally, G-Rank Savage Deviljho. Took 'em long enough.

Hm?

I just looked through the downloadable quests and there is one quest that seems to be G-Rank Black Fatalis.

It's strange that they haven't announced it in the video though.
What a relief. It's about time.

Anura

Remind me, did they mention fatty in other videos before this one? If not it could very likely be that fatty is considered a spoiler by Capcom and doesn't want it in a promo video. If they did mention it... I dunno, Capcom is weird.

Wolfe

Not sure how long I have atm but I've got another turns room up:

49-0400-5369-4250

Still one open spot.

Top Bottom