• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Shengar

All it really took was a decent charm. I have an Evade Distance +6 2-slot charm (that came from just a Timeworn charm, so easy-ish to grind for), and the rest were all decorations. Had to fight flippin Purple Gypceros 6 times to get his Wings for the 4 Evade Distance decorations. He did not like dropping them.

Seems tuffy has the same charm as well! It's a good'n.
I know, I have a good extender charm myself so I just need to craft the armor and I'm all set.
I made a HBG set yesterday

Recoil +2
Evade extender
Brutality
Pierce up
Reload speed -1

Still room to improve, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Want to test it on an Apex Gravios?

Fixed. I think you're getting your buttons confused with Xbox equivalents?

Whoops! Yeah, I get buttons confused all the time. I use too many controllers XD. I'll fix the original post. Also didn't realize you only need to press R for the golf swing... thought it was a combination. Nifty.

I love the long sword! For early game armor sets, I used the Velociprey set for the entirety of Low Rank, and it worked great. Gives you a good attack boost.
For weapons, once you start fighting Rathian/Rathalos, you can make a good one called "Wyvern Blade 'Fall'". It's a great fire weapon with decent base damage that has a solid upgrade path.
The water one is also great, but its base isn't the highest. That's okay, though. As long as you're using it on a monster that's weak to water, you'll be fine. In regards to your question, if you have a Water Atk armor skill, then yes, you'll do a little more damage with water attacks. Same with other elements.

Some long sword tips off the top of my head:
-Don't forget to Fade Slash. That's when you hit X+A at the same time. It's great for repositioning. If you have an opening after fade slash, you can press R and do a golf swing that does a lot of damage.
-Your spirit attacks ignore deflection, so they're great against rock-hard monsters like Basarios and Gravios.
-Your X attack (the over the head one) is a great and terrible attack. It's great because it's HUGE and does decent damage. It's terrible because it's a slow attack that leaves you vulnerable. Don't spam it.

For quests, I'd honestly focus on Caravan quests (the quest lady that calls you Doodle in the offline story) as long as you can. You can go online and play sometimes, but there are big BIG perks to playing offline, such as unlocking important items.

Good advice. I was actually just getting ready to build that sword and some others. I just took out Zinogre and I want to build the Usurper's boltslicer, too.

Fixed. I think you're getting your buttons confused with Xbox equivalents?

I do this so often.

Leezard

Grand Amagi Head
Grand Amagi Chest
Kaiser Gloves
Grand Amagi Coat
Tetsucabra S Legs for torso up

Evade Distance +8 2 slot Charm
Nice, I was looking for a pierce HBG set. I'll probably do something similar (I don't have identical charm so it may look a bit different) once I manage to unlock the Jhen parts.

edit: Athena's ASS says..
Grand Amagi Jingasa
Grand Amagi Muneate
Kaiser Guards X
Grand Amagi Koshiate
Grand Amagi Hakama
+6 Evade Dist OOO

I get recoil down +1 only, but I get deadeye too. I guess this will be my next project.
Want to test it on an Apex Gravios?
I'd love to join some hunts as well.

Good advice. I was actually just getting ready to build that sword and some others. I just took out Zinogre and I want to build the Usurper's boltslicer, too.

Something else, if you're interested. I found a Relic sword that ended up being fantastic. You can get Relic swords by doing Expeditions (look for ones that say Great Sword/Long Sword), and you'll get Battered Weapons. Then, in Harth, the guy can polish them and they'll become ones you can use with totally random stats.
I ended up finding a great Rimeblade that had no element, tons of green sharpness, and way more damage than any other sword I was using at the time. If you feel adventurous, try out some expeditions and see what you can find.

Shengar

Sure...but i haven't played HBG yet, i just made the set.
C'mon, what could go wrong with an APEX Gravios?
A lot, honestly
Nice, I was looking for a pierce HBG set. I'll probably do something similar (I don't have identical charm so it may look a bit different) once I manage to unlock the Jhen parts.

I'd love to join some hunts as well.
My internet couldn't handle streaming right, but hopefully it could keep up for monster hunting
Anyone wanna do the final wystone quest?
Apex brach and azure rath

13-5335-2345-1257
Surely you mean frenzied
I almost wet my pant reading "Apex" and "Brachy" in one same sentence.

Mupod

I made a HBG set yesterday

Recoil +2
Evade extender
Brutality
Pierce up
Reload speed -1

Still room to improve, but I'm pretty happy with it.

for pierce 2 and 3, you only need recoil+1 if the gun has average recoil. Try and get reload-1 out too of course.

Waikis

C'mon, what could go wrong with an APEX Gravios?
A lot, honestly

My internet couldn't handle streaming right, but hopefully it could keep up for monster hunting

Surely you mean frenzied
I almost wet my pant reading "Apex" and "Brachy" in one same sentence.

Woops yeah frenzied.

An afker joined my room zzzz
48-0994-2026-1917

tuffy

I get recoil down +1 only, but I get deadeye too. I guess this will be my next project.
It's worth noting that you only need Recoil Down +1 to fire all the pierce shot levels without recoil on any gun with average recoil or better (which is most of the good pierce shot ones).

ilium

for pierce 2 and 3, you only need recoil+1 if the gun has average recoil. Try and get reload-1 out too of course.

It's worth noting that you only need Recoil Down +1 to fire all the pierce shot levels without recoil on any gun with average recoil or better (which is most of the good pierce shot ones).

good to know!

It's full when I'm preparing my gunner set ;__;

so sorry! lobby was full immediately :(

So I just hit Guild HR4 and I'm wrapping up Caravan 6. I'm a lancer and using mostly Barroth gear to get Guard +2 & Speed Sharpening. Im using Athena's Armor Search and it suggests that I could get Lava or Gravios gear at HR3 and Caravan 6. But it's not "S" or "U" or whatever. It looks like to get to Gravios S I need to be HR4, Caravan 8.

Does all High Rank gear have an "S" or "U" on it? What about G rank? How do I know I'm chasing the right "tier" of gear?

Is the chances of getting awesome charms better through Maximeld or something? I've been doing Juju Melding while doing other stuff at the same time since it doesn't require much attention, and I've gotten much better charms from him than actually charm farming.

So I just hit Guild HR4 and I'm wrapping up Caravan 6. I'm a lancer and using mostly Barroth gear to get Guard +2 & Speed Sharpening. Im using Athena's Armor Search and it suggests that I could get Lava or Gravios gear at HR3 and Caravan 6. But it's not "S" or "U" or whatever. It looks like to get to Gravios S I need to be HR4, Caravan 8.

Does all High Rank gear have an "S" or "U" on it? What about G rank? How do I know I'm chasing the right "tier" of gear?

That is correct! High Rank gear in general has S or U by it, and G Rank gear usually has X or Z by it. The "U" and "Z" are for the different colored variants of monsters. It doesn't always follow that formula, but it does most of the time.

That is correct! High Rank gear in general has S or U by it, and G Rank gear usually has X or Z by it. The "U" and "Z" are for the different colored variants of monsters. It doesn't always follow that formula, but it does most of the time.

Thanks! One more question: How does Item Rarity figure in?

Thanks! One more question: How does Item Rarity figure in?

The rarity (again, in general) typically coincides with the online hunter rank you need to be at to get it. For instance, if you just play online, you can get 4* rarity stuff once you hit HR4. Once you hit G1 (which is kind of like HR8, since it's what's after HR7), you can get 8* rarity stuff. etc. Translating to offline mode is a little different since the star you're on doesn't match rarity level.

I want to point out that the items don't stay locked until you hit those hunter ranks, it's just that the materials you need to craft those items don't show up until those hunter ranks.

redcrayon

I'm decked out in full silver rath gear now, and it's fire-attack-up-2 skill synergises nicely with my matching Silver Prominence lance.

Still didn't stop me getting triple carted by Rajang but I looked so cool and that's half the battle. Right? :)

Valus

10 Triforces? Gonna be seeing a whole lot of lightning today...

He's referring to both the Gunner and Blademaster set. If you only go for one, then you only need 5 Triforces. And since he added up all the Triforces needed, he should add up the Goddess Fires too. You need 12 if you want to max out both the Sword and Bow.

I decided to solo through the Episodic DLC last night. None of the weapons or armor interested me much but the chance to change my housekeeper was what did it. I was actually surprised, it seemed that the final quest of it was a little too easy especially after seeing it get talked up in various places.

Renewed

He's referring to both the Gunner and Blademaster set. If you only go for one, then you only need 5 Triforces. And since he added up all the Triforces needed, he should add up the Goddess Fires too. You need 12 if you want to max out both the Sword and Bow.

Yeah I was aware of the Blade and Gunner requirements. I play different weapons so I want to have as much equipment on hand to experiment. But 12 Goddess Fires? Ugh...

Also meant to say: Chaobreaker, I'm here with you. If you want to take Dally with just us two, I have no problem with that.

Qurupeke

10 Triforces? Gonna be seeing a whole lot of lightning today...

To be specific, it's 5 for the gunner armor and 5 for the blademaster armor. But in case someone wants both of them... +They need rare stuff from the 3 monsters.

Edit: Oh forgot to refresh, already answered. And I didn't know you want 12 of the fires. ;_;

Renewed

Did we disconnect from each other? After Dally blew up my bomb and hit me on my get-up, I came back to put more bombs at the chest. Idiot threw a fireball there and killed itself.

Shengar

First run with LBG isn't that bad. Need to practice my aiming since I missed a lot.
Still wrecked by tyrannosaur with bad attitude and breath though. Fuck it and its breath of terror.

I decided to solo through the Episodic DLC last night. None of the weapons or armor interested me much but the chance to change my housekeeper was what did it. I was actually surprised, it seemed that the final quest of it was a little too easy especially after seeing it get talked up in various places.
I need to do that soon. We're the quests hard solo?

Juraash

Oh man I got myself a very sweet charm today. My D.Moran set now has focus and evade +1 on top of all the goodies it gets normally. Need to upgrade the armor a smidge but that's pretty easy. Happy, happy day.

Qurupeke

Hmm, I saw the quests for the next month and they're underwhelming. No G rank quests yet and apparently no Samus armor, just the weapon...

tm24

Oh man, two Deviljho gems in one go! I don't even know what theyre for!

Also, the way Molten Tigrex, and to a slighty lesser degree smaller tigrexes, runs amuses me to no end.

I need to do that soon. We're the quests hard solo?

The first was tedious because of having to use the rarity 1 weapon but the rest weren't bad at all. I won't spoil it but I didn't think they were hard in the slightest. My armor might have played a big part in that though, Regios X.

Leezard

The first was tedious because of having to use the rarity 1 weapon but the rest weren't bad at all. I won't spoil it but I didn't think they were hard in the slightest. My armor might have played a big part in that though, Regios X.

You're using G-rank armor for mid-HR enemies, of course it's going to be easy. Not that they were particularly difficult with HR armor either.

Something else, if you're interested. I found a Relic sword that ended up being fantastic. You can get Relic swords by doing Expeditions (look for ones that say Great Sword/Long Sword), and you'll get Battered Weapons. Then, in Harth, the guy can polish them and they'll become ones you can use with totally random stats.
I ended up finding a great Rimeblade that had no element, tons of green sharpness, and way more damage than any other sword I was using at the time. If you feel adventurous, try out some expeditions and see what you can find.

Interesting. Does it change what type of weapon each time you go on a hunt and come back, or do you have to do expeditions to get it to change? I haven't been doing expeditions other than the forced ones.

Hale-XF11

Finally beat Dalamadur last night with some randoms. Jumped from HR7 to HR79. Hot damn. Then went on to beat Dala 3 more times to get mats for a new bow. My new hobby is collecting as many bows as I can. Don't even care about ranking up right now.

Top Bottom