• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Honestly if they didn't give her that near insta turnaround I wouldn't have so many problems with her. As it is as long as I got some space I can turn fast enough to block but I was under the impression that those charges were homing no?

Ken

Honestly if they didn't give her that near insta turnaround I wouldn't have so many problems with her. As it is as long as I got some space I can turn fast enough to block but I was under the impression that those charges were homing no?

They track but not fast enough to hit if you keep sprinting the entire time.

I mean, it kind of has to or else people without guard would be screwed.

PKrockin

You know, the elements are pretty unbalanced. Why would I want water resistance? Tidal Najarala is the only threatening water monster that comes to mind at this point in G1. Who else? Hermitaur/Plum, Cephadrome, Seltas, and Kecha Wacha? lol

Meanwhile you want fire resistance for

Rathian/Pink/Gold
Rathalos/Azure/Silver
YKK/Blue
Garuga
Gravios/Black
Basarios/Ruby
Ash Kechum
Akantor
Teostra
Fatalis?/Crimson?

Off the top of my head.

Leezard

You know, the elements are pretty unbalanced. Why would I want water resistance? Tidal Najarala is the only threatening water monster that comes to mind at this point in G1. Who else? Hermitaur/Plum, Cephadrome, Seltas, and Kecha Wacha? lol

Rathian/Pink/Gold
Rathalos/Azure/Silver
YKK/Blue
Garuga
Gravios/Black
Basarios/Ruby
Ash Kechum
Akantor
Teostra
Fatalis?/Crimson?

Off the top of my head.

Indeed. No threatening end-game monsters use water.

Pila

Can I say that I'm loving my Sergio gunlance? I forged that baby yesterday and poor monsters just die at first sight, tried brute tigrex challenge and that little bastard was limping after a few minutes, jeez. I've been playing with shitty weapons for too long, I mean, it's good to have a challenge but I was overdoing it ^^ I guess it's a good time to learn some evade lancing (I get sharpness by doing it with sergio stuff, right?) I've always been a lazy lancer and I love pressing that R button.

I'll be there in the caravan while I'm signing up with my new ISP. Miss you guys. :(

Shengar

Rathian/Pink/Gold
Rathalos/Azure/Silver
YKK/Blue
Garuga
Gravios/Black
Basarios/Ruby
Ash Kechum
Akantor
Teostra
Fatalis?/Crimson?

Off the top of my head.

Oddly enough, there are many enemy weak to fire YET, so few weapon have fire element
I swear that MH3U have fewer monster but somehow better sense of elemental balance

Zamtrios!

Zam gives ice blight though, so it might be more ice than water
You forgot its fatter cousin
Online seems dead today. Bloodbourne hot the monsters hard.

Everybody took break from hunting monster and hunting beast instead.

B-Dex

I made the high rank daora armour set only to realize it sucks with my talisman choices.

Looks cool at least. Killed her like 10 times today.

PKrockin

Can I say that I'm loving my Sergio gunlance? I forged that baby yesterday and poor monsters just die at first sight, tried brute tigrex challenge and that little bastard was limping after a few minutes, jeez. I've been playing with shitty weapons for too long, I mean, it's good to have a challenge but I was overdoing it ^^ I guess it's a good time to learn some evade lancing (I get sharpness by doing it with sergio stuff, right?) I've always been a lazy lancer and I love pressing that R button.

I'll be there in the caravan while I'm signing up with my new ISP. Miss you guys. :(
Teach me the way of the gunlance. I think I've been spoiled rotten by the lance's counter with guard+2 because the gunlance shots feel so unsafe. I end up basically guard poking, full bursting and wyvern firing things to death. It's like when I first started playing the MH3U demo and tried lance. I pick up this weapon and suddenly have no idea what I'm doing. lol

Pila

Teach me the way of the gunlance. I think I've been spoiled rotten by the lance's counter with guard+2 because the gunlance shots feel so unsafe. I end up basically guard poking, full bursting and wyvern firing things to death. It's like when I first started playing the MH3U demo and tried lance. I pick up this weapon and suddenly have no idea what I'm doing. lol

My guild cards have 100 gunlance fights in 3U and maybe 40 here, I'm no expert on the subject :) here's what I do: I only play long GL because my first priority is wyvern firing (I really love it) and I use it whenever I see a solid opening, you got an attack that makes a big move forward and that's pretty good for getting closer to the monster, never do that when you're under it. I avoid charged shots because they say it's not your best move with long gunlances.

TL; DR I'm a noob gunlancer ^^ we have people who main the beast here, they probably could be a better senpai!

Leezard

I suck, but you can die 9 times, so it's okay.

You can cart 9 times in arena? Not bad. I've only ever seen people cart 2 times and I was scared of failing the quest.

I'd be up for playing some arena, but I need to get some work done. I'd be on in two hours if you're still playing/looking for other players.

PKrockin

My guild cards have 100 gunlance fights in 3U and maybe 40 here, I'm no expert on the subject :) here's what I do: I only play long GL because my first priority is wyvern firing (I really love it) and I use it whenever I see a solid opening, you got an attack that makes a big move forward and that's pretty good for getting closer to the monster, never do that when you're under it. I avoid charged shots because they say it's not your best move with long gunlances.

TL; DR I'm a noob gunlancer ^^ we have people who main the beast here, they probably could be a better senpai!
Monster Hunter: where you can fight 140 times with the same weapon and still not have mastered it.

Is there a way to tell whether you hit the monster with a shot, or am I just blind?

I want to go Long shot type as well but I happened upon a level 5 Normal type gunlance with Edgemaster points so I've been using that. Hopefully I can get a good long shot level 5 gunlance soon.

PrankT

Online was pretty weak, but I got a lot accomplished today. Finished my horn/hammer armor with skills I like and finally got the earth dragonsphire (3, in fact) to compete my greatsword set. I even got a couple large elder dragon gems from one fight against teostra. Excellent!

Pila

Monster Hunter: where you can fight 140 times with the same weapon and still not have mastered it.

Is there a way to tell whether you hit the monster with a shot, or am I just blind?

I want to go Long shot type as well but I happened upon a level 5 Normal type gunlance with Edgemaster points so I've been using that. Hopefully I can get a good long shot level 5 gunlance soon.

Yeah I love how MH is always fresh, you can't master all of this stuff.

Here's my second fav thing about long GL (WF being the first): shells have a very long reach, your weapon touches the monster all the time, it's kinda hard to miss a shot. Give long GL a chance, they've never been one of my main weapons but things just die when I use them, you can combo pretty much all the attacks doing things as you like, parts break like I was nuking the sucker from a plane, it's just lovely. <3

Unless I'm not understanding your question properly, if you hit with a shot the area hit will have a fire effect around it. If you don't see that it's a miss.

It can be kinda hard to see if you're firing right on top of the monster though.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You can cart 9 times in arena? Not bad. I've only ever seen people cart 2 times and I was scared of failing the quest.

I'd be up for playing some arena, but I need to get some work done. I'd be on in two hours if you're still playing/looking for other players.
Sure, I'll be waiting!

Just got done with one where I was lancing and the other person was longswording, fucking tripping me the entire time with spirit combo after I knocked the monster down. Fuck longsworders, those greedy bastards.

redcrayon

What are the Lances I should be building toward? Got a plesioth one I've been quietly upgrading lol
The ones I use and am actively upgrading are Harmah (seregios/tigrex, auto-sharpens when you dodge and has high sharpness) and bone claw (crab, offers a meaty defence bonus). There's quite a few good elemental ones though, I switch it up a lot and have quite a few! I think i have about fifteen lances now as every time the upgrade tree splits I make/buy a fresh one. Then I've just upgraded everything as soon as I have the bits, I've only really farmed one creature (seregios) for parts so far. It's nice for me to be able to tailor them to a hunt though.

One of my lances has an elemental fire property, does anyone know if the Silver Rath skill 'fire attack up' will increase that?

The ones I use and am actively upgrading are Harmah (seregios/tigrex, auto-sharpens when you dodge and has high sharpness) and bone claw (crab, offers a meaty defence bonus). There's quite a few good elemental ones though, I switch it up a lot and have quite a few! I think i have about fifteen lances now as every time the upgrade tree splits I make/buy a fresh one. Then I've just upgraded everything as soon as I have the bits, I've only really farmed one creature (seregios) for parts so far. It's nice for me to be able to tailor them to a hunt though.

One of my lances has an elemental fire property, does anyone know if the Silver Rath skill 'fire attack up' will increase that?[/quote]

Yep. Fire attack up (and the other specific elemental attack up skills) can go all the way to +3.

I had thunder attack up+3 for awhile in high rank and it just utterly demolished things like Stygian, Los/Ian, Mohran.

redcrayon

One of my lances has an elemental fire property, does anyone know if the Silver Rath skill 'fire attack up' will increase that?[/quote]

Yep. Fire attack up (and the other specific elemental attack up skills) can go all the way to +3.

I had thunder attack up+3 for awhile in high rank and it just utterly demolished things like Stygian, Los/Ian, Mohran.

Thanks man, looks like I'll be pairing up my Elder Babel Spear with my shiny new Silver Rath armour :D

Ken

Idk why I though it'd be a good idea to solo G3 Gog.

43 minutes of zzz.

Oh well, at least I didn't have to play pug musical urgent chairs.

PKrockin

Yeah I love how MH is always fresh, you can't master all of this stuff.

Here's my second fav thing about long GL (WF being the first): shells have a very long reach, your weapon touches the monster all the time, it's kinda hard to miss a shot. Give long GL a chance, they've never been one of my main weapons but things just die when I use them, you can combo pretty much all the attacks doing things as you like, parts break like I was nuking the sucker from a plane, it's just lovely. <3
I'm definitely looking forward to getting a long shot GL as well as an armor set with Artillery skills so I can spam Wyvern Fire.

Unless I'm not understanding your question properly, if you hit with a shot the area hit will have a fire effect around it. If you don't see that it's a miss.

It can be kinda hard to see if you're firing right on top of the monster though.
OK, so there is an indication when a shot hits the monster, I was just being unobservant. Or maybe I should switch the blood effects setting to see it better.

Thanks man, looks like I'll be pairing up my Elder Babel Spear with my shiny new Silver Rath armour :D
You may already know this but just in case, the Elder Babel Spear is one of the weapons that needs the Awaken skill to deal its elemental damage, as indicated by thenumber being grayed out.

jorgejjvr

I never experienced true pain until I accidentally brought a thunder weapon to an Apex Rajang fight. I will forever be scarred.

-Alternis

Edit: Anyone have a guild quest with freedom C Series (arms)?

PKrockin

I swear, lately almost every time I fight a monster for the first time in a new rank I get the rare drop. Deviljho Gem, Akantor Gem, Rathian Mantle, Daora Gem, Earth Dragongem, Teostra Gem, Brach Gem... what do I even do with all this. Shit, I got 3 Akantor Gems and 3 Teostra Gems, one for each time I've fought them. The desire sensor is real.

Shengar

I swear, lately almost every time I fight a monster for the first time in a new rank I get the rare drop. Deviljho Gem, Akantor Gem, Rathian Mantle, Daora Gem, Earth Dragongem, Teostra Gem, Brach Gem... what do I even do with all this. Shit, I got 3 Akantor Gems and 3 Teostra Gems, one for each time I've fought them. The desire sensor is real.

I fought like almost dozen of Shagaru Magala, all Phosgem while I got two Gore Magala mantles from one hunt when I already have one from trading cosmic ticket.

I don't get the "hunters for hire" thing.
This is always the same shitty quests : bring back raw meat, kill rhenoplos or kill banhambras. That's it? No monster hunting quests?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I don't get the "hunters for hire" thing.
This is always the same shitty quests : bring back raw meat, kill rhenoplos or kill banhambras. That's it? No monster hunting quests?
Talk to the gong lady, you must have mistakenly tinkered with the settings.

Finished up my Hermitaur armor Z for my gunner. With a halfway-decent charm, I was able to get:

Pierce Up
Recoil +1
Guts
Evade Distance
Attack Up (S)

With no negative skills (since Loading -10 doesn't do anything).
The thing has decent resistances too.

Very very happy.

J0dy77

Progressing pretty nicely so far on the early game. I've started to really enjoy the long sword. Are there any early game sets or long swords I should be looking to craft?

I'm currently running the water sword (curvicia or something) and started building the Kecha set with plus water on it. Am I correct in assuming that the +water boosts the water damage that is on the sword?

If anyone has some good guides for the different weapons and what to craft I'd love to see something like that.

Also, where should I be focusing effort on quests? Should I do the Gathering Hall or the girl outside?

tuffy

I figured out that if I take my Hermitaur Z set and swap the arms for a Torso Up piece (like the Black Belt Guards), the waist for my Brachydios Coat X and use my 2 slot Evade Dist +6 charm, I can have:
  • Pierce Up
  • Recoil Down +1
  • Challenger +2
  • Evade Extender
without even using any weapon slots. I'll just need to crank out some arena coins for the arm piece.

Progressing pretty nicely so far on the early game. I've started to really enjoy the long sword. Are there any early game sets or long swords I should be looking to craft?

I'm currently running the water sword (curvicia or something) and started building the Kecha set with plus water on it. Am I correct in assuming that the +water boosts the water damage that is on the sword?

If anyone has some good guides for the different weapons and what to craft I'd love to see something like that.

Also, where should I be focusing effort on quests? Should I do the Gathering Hall or the girl outside?

I love the long sword! For early game armor sets, I used the Velociprey set for the entirety of Low Rank, and it worked great. Gives you a good attack boost.
For weapons, once you start fighting Rathian/Rathalos, you can make a good one called "Wyvern Blade 'Fall'". It's a great fire weapon with decent base damage that has a solid upgrade path.
The water one is also great, but its base isn't the highest. That's okay, though. As long as you're using it on a monster that's weak to water, you'll be fine. In regards to your question, if you have a Water Atk armor skill, then yes, you'll do a little more damage with water attacks. Same with other elements.

Some long sword tips off the top of my head:
-Don't forget to Fade Slash. That's when you hit X+A at the same time. It's great for repositioning. If you have an opening after fade slash, you can press R and do a golf swing that does a lot of damage.
-Your spirit attacks ignore deflection, so they're great against rock-hard monsters like Basarios and Gravios.
-Your X attack (the over the head one) is a great and terrible attack. It's great because it's HUGE and does decent damage. It's terrible because it's a slow attack that leaves you vulnerable. Don't spam it.

For quests, I'd honestly focus on Caravan quests (the quest lady that calls you Doodle in the offline story) as long as you can. You can go online and play sometimes, but there are big BIG perks to playing offline, such as unlocking important items.

Shengar

Finished up my Hermitaur armor Z for my gunner. With a halfway-decent charm, I was able to get:

Pierce Up
Recoil +1
Guts
Evade Distance
Attack Up (S)

With no negative skills (since Loading -10 doesn't do anything).
The thing has decent resistances too.

Very very happy.

I'm searching for a quick, good looking gunner armor with good skill (basically recoil). I had Diablos Z in mind, but farming 2 Hardhorns would be a pain the ass. Then I see your post and very happy as I didn't know Hermitaur Z have such decent skills, nice!

I'm searching for a quick, good looking gunner armor with good skill (basically recoil). I had Diablos Z in mind, but farming 2 Hardhorns would be a pain the ass. Then I see your post and very happy as I didn't know Hermitaur Z have such decent skills, nice!

All it really took was a decent charm. I have an Evade Distance +6 2-slot charm (that came from just a Timeworn charm, so easy-ish to grind for), and the rest were all decorations. Had to fight flippin Purple Gypceros 6 times to get his Wings for the 4 Evade Distance decorations. He did not like dropping them.

Seems tuffy has the same charm as well! It's a good'n.

ilium

I made a HBG set yesterday

Recoil +2
Evade extender
Brutality
Pierce up
Reload speed -1

Still room to improve, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Airan

Some long sword tips off the top of my head:
-Don't forget to Fade Slash. That's when you hit X+A at the same time. It's great for repositioning. If you have an opening after fade slash, you can press R and do a golf swing that does a lot of damage.
-Your spirit attacks ignore deflection, so they're great against rock-hard monsters like Basarios and Gravios.
-Your X attack (the over the head one) is a great and terrible attack. It's great because it's HUGE and does decent damage. It's terrible because it's a slow attack that leaves you vulnerable. Don't spam it.

Fixed. I think you're getting your buttons confused with Xbox equivalents?

Top Bottom