• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Just killed my 80th Kecha Wacha... still no small crown :'(
This is on the back of getting to 77 kills to finally get a Great Jaggi small crown.

Did anybody who has them all do anything besides 'get lucky?'
I'm following this but it seems to make no difference whatsoever.

This is one area where I wouldn't turn my nose up at a few custom quests I have to admit.

tuffy

Just killed my 80th Kecha Wacha... still no small crown :'(
Perhaps there's an official event quest featuring the small crown Kecha that hasn't been released yet. Looking at the spreadsheet, both large crown and small crown Kechas turn up in the same high rank Japanese event quest. So that might be a "hunt two Kecha Wachas in the arena" type of quest where one is always very large and one is always very small.

Perhaps there's an official event quest featuring the small crown Kecha that hasn't been released yet. Looking at the spreadsheet, both large crown and small crown Kechas turn up in the same high rank Japanese event quest. So that might be a "hunt two Kecha Wachas in the arena" type of quest where one is always very large and one is always very small.

Good point!
I was actually debating waiting for all DLC to be released, but got all big crowns without too much effort and assumed there's not much DLC left so decided to just go for it now.
Bad decision.
I'll carry on waiting for all of the DLC first :lol

My Guild Card got a little more colourful today:

WVW69iaincsxSaJj3X

3U was my first MH and I used DB’s exclusively for the entire game, so intended to branch out just a little more this time around.

After all of that Dual Blades are still my favourite though :p

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Today I found out that my MonHun mentor got sick of the relic grind and cheated to give herself some. "But I won't use it online" she says, well what's the point then??? All of my heroes are dead. :(

In other news, after something like 15 hours of farming my tigrex GQ I think I finally got my first real keeper Guild Knight Sabers.

378 raw (will be 420 after upgrade)
330 dragon element
10% affinity
Max purple sharpness, from what I can tell looking at this Japanese website
4 points of Edgemaster in it

AND the kicker, they glow purple. Aside from the damage, and preferring para over a damage element, I don't think I could have asked for a better set of swords.

After I farm a few more rusted kushalas and some white fatty, I'll have a set with:
HG Plugs
Edgemaster
Sharpness
Critical God

I will be losing Fashion Hunter BADLY, but that's a set of skills I'm alright with sacrificing some glamour for.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Today I found out that my MonHun mentor got sick of the relic grind and cheated to give herself some. "But I won't use it online" she says, well what's the point then??? All of my heroes are dead. :(

In other news, after something like 15 hours of farming my tigrex GQ I think I finally got my first real keeper Guild Knight Sabers.

378 raw (will be 420 after upgrade)
330 dragon element
10% affinity
Max purple sharpness, from what I can tell looking at this Japanese website
4 points of Edgemaster in it

AND the kicker, they glow purple. Aside from the damage, and preferring para over a damage element, I don't think I could have asked for a better set of swords.

After I farm a few more rusted kushalas and some white fatty, I'll have a set with:
HG Plugs
Edgemaster
Sharpness
Critical God

I will be losing Fashion Hunter BADLY, but that's a set of skills I'm alright with sacrificing some glamour for.
GaijinHunter is all you need.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
GaijinHunter is all you need.

I meant like my personal mentor, a friend of mine who tried to convince me to get into MonHun for a while before I decided to give it a try.

Wolfe, I probably missed you again. Unless you're planning on getting rid of the quests soon I'm sure I'll run into you sooner or later and you can toss em at me. If you're ever on and see me in a hall with space just jump in and I'll do likewise.

Reminder, I set up a Discord server if you guys ever wanna jump in for real-time chatting (text or voice) . No download required!

https://discordapp.com/invite/0X7YW4E2J9EnUaY0

I'm on 3 other Discord servers and I just leave it open idle at all times, so I'll see a notification on there sooner than I'll see a post in this thread.

eschiver

The steam MH4U chatroom has been a bit dead recently so it's been hard organizing hunts. Anyone want to hunt nighttime/weekends EST? PM me and add me on steam - Eschiver.

I am G-crown so I am up for whatever.

tuffy

Once you cheat there is no turning back
The stain will remain forever
Glad I'm not into relic stuffs
I agree on both counts.

Even if nobody else would know, I would still know, and I refuse to go there.

And when the game was first announced for a western release, some who played the Japanese version complained about the GQ and relic systems being a sort of tedious end-game grind with too much emphasis on RNG. Now I understand what they meant.

Still of the opinion that Relic and Charm grinding should be removed or totally overhauled come MH5. Easily the worst parts (mechanically) of MH4

LiQuid!

Still of the opinion that Relic and Charm grinding should be removed or totally overhauled come MH5. Easily the worst parts (mechanically) of MH4

This is the reason my friend has given for why she hacked herself some relic outfits. I don't disagree, really. The amount of manipulation, grinding and the sheer amount of just dumb luck you need in order to obtain high end relic gear in this game is unspeakable. And then once you manipulate and grind and luck your way up to the point where you have an infinitesimal chance of getting a desired piece of gear, you still need to fight the godless sons of bitches that are apex monsters to get it!

The steam MH4U chatroom has been a bit dead recently so it's been hard organizing hunts. Anyone want to hunt nighttime/weekends EST? PM me and add me on steam - Eschiver.

I am G-crown so I am up for whatever.

Yet another reminder that I'm still trying to get people to hang out in the Discord:

https://discordapp.com/invite/0X7YW4E2J9EnUaY0

Tell your friends!

BTW: Thanks for the help on the hunts last night Kitty! Got my white fatalis sweatpants and finished the set I'm using with my new relic DBs and it's awesome, even if it is fugly as helllllllllll.

I'd still take Guild Quests and Expeditions over the underwater fighting any day. I just miss having a Nargacuga to fight. I still go back to MH3U to fight Lucy. As far as relics are concerned, for me, they are nice but I'm not going out of my way to get them but the Guild Quests themselves are fun for me.

LiQuid!

The worst part about relics (armor specifically) is that even with the rare skills on them they aren't powerful enough to justify the time expenditure. So all that grind is tacked on merely for us Fashion Hunters.

The relic weapons on the other hand, I think are actually totally fine. They only seem like a pain in the ass because we've kind of reverse engineered the process of getting them so that we can get very specific about the ones we acquire with enough patience. If you approach guild quests with a more laissez-faire attitude, I'm sure you could do nothing but join random halls doing 126+ GQs and come away with a handful of really nice relic weapons. I don't think that can be said about the armor.

LiQuid!

Even those aren't well-balanced, I think. There's a whole laundry list of craftable bows and bowguns that are better than the best possible relics once honing is factored in. So that's sucked out any motivation I might've had to do GQs for the relics.

Yeah I'm definitely not well informed enough to make a call on that, but clearly from looking at that list they need to be tweaked for gunners.

My gunner weapon of choice is the bow and it makes me kind of sad that I've spent the entirety of my time in this game cultivating a really large collection of bows of varying elements and shot types and it's all meaningless because the only "correct" bows to use are the seregios or the m.tigrex.

Shengar

Besides the endless grindfest, the worst part of GQ is the fact that Apex Monster isn't a polished yet as the game feature and challenge. Non of the armor skill affect the duration or the potency of wystone. Nothing you can do against two apex monster in one arena without wasting a considerable amount of time by un-apexing one then throw a dung bomb at it. Combined with how most apex monster will one-shot you, fighting them is almost like a stress test rather than something fun.
I'd still take Guild Quests and Expeditions over the underwater fighting any day. I just miss having a Nargacuga to fight. I still go back to MH3U to fight Lucy. As far as relics are concerned, for me, they are nice but I'm not going out of my way to get them but the Guild Quests themselves are fun for me.

Underwater fight was Capcom first attempt at tackling 3D enviroment. The worst thing about it is how the fully 3D battle arena, and agile underwater monster combined with the non-auto targeting sluggish attack animation of most weapon makes you fight with the camera and positioning rather than the monster. But conceptually, it's good and also opened up a numerous possibility of monster design. I wish Capcom will revisit underwater fight but with better gameplay refinement and if possible, a total overhaul of it.

Conceptually I can see the underwater battles were good a idea, but in execution they failed badly. I am very glad they took the path they did with updating how you navigate terrain in MH4U, rather then try and "fix" anything with the underwater battles. I enjoy being able to jump while climbing, mounting, quick climbing up ledges that in previous games you would have to sheathe and climb. Not to mention the roll to climb move.

Even those aren't well-balanced, I think. There's a whole laundry list of craftable bows and bowguns that are better than the best possible relics once honing is factored in. So that's sucked out any motivation I might've had to do GQs for the relics.

I think I spent about 10 hours in total farming that Deviljho quest trying to get a relic LBG with the parasol skin with at least passable stats. It's that kind of grind that really makes you question all of your life decisions.

My gunner weapon of choice is the bow and it makes me kind of sad that I've spent the entirety of my time in this game cultivating a really large collection of bows of varying elements and shot types and it's all meaningless because the only "correct" bows to use are the seregios or the m.tigrex.

I've been using the Garuga Oyumi as my bow of choice for a while now and it's never been an issue. I figure if I'm playing well, any additional seconds added to the quest aren't going to be the difference between passing or failing the quest anyway.

co1onel

Actually, Relic Bows can definitely outdo craftable bows of the same shot type. Mainly in the spread department, as the craftable spread bows aren't too great. In terms of rapid, something with max raw and element can potentially do more damage than the seregios bow, plus you don't have to use load up. Alternatively you could use load up with a rapid relic bow and get a 4th charge on all of your powershots for significantly more damage that isn't available on the kama sedition.

The list you linked is flawed because it doesn't take into account many things like powershot, coatings, shot type and charge levels.

The problem with relic bows (and bowguns for that matter) is that there are too many variable stats, making it so damn hard to get the perfect one compared to any of the melee weapons. As if farming perfect melee weapons wasn't already mundane enough.

Soulflarz

Banned
So is the multiplayer for mh4u region free locally? Asking because my roommate has a japanese copy and I only have it in english and he wants to play (I haven't even booted it yet even though I've had it since the day it came out, shame on me?)

Shengar

So is the multiplayer for mh4u region free locally? Asking because my roommate has a japanese copy and I only have it in english and he wants to play (I haven't even booted it yet even though I've had it since the day it came out, shame on me?)
I don't think you can since japanese version don't even able to streetpass to other version, probably due to cut content. They are like two different games so to speak.

I just got a set of DBs with 476 attack (yay!) but sleep rather than element or poison (aww). Are they still usable for single player? They can get up to 50% affinity with the setup I'm going to make (Critical God, Challenger+2, HGE, Razor Sharp).

I did also get a good set of poison DBs that would also go well with that setup, but their attack power is just 406. Is it even possible to get 476 attack with element/poison?

LiQuid!

Anybody know how evade+X works with DB's demon mode dash? I've seen Evade+ recommended in some DB builds but a friend of mine said he thinks it doesn't effect demon dashing.

I have critical god on current DB set, but I could drop that down to Crit+3 and then put either Evade+1 or Challenger+1 on it (my spirit/challenger talismans are poor so I can't get +2 until I get a good one). Any advice?

Anybody know how evade+X works with DB's demon mode dash? I've seen Evade+ recommended in some DB builds but a friend of mine said he thinks it doesn't effect demon dashing.

I have critical god on current DB set, but I could drop that down to Crit+3 and then put either Evade+1 or Challenger+1 on it (my spirit/challenger talismans are poor so I can't get +2 until I get a good one). Any advice?

Its my understanding from talking to a hardcore DB user that evade doesn't do anything while in demon dance since you are locked into that combo. Rolling before or after the combo though it will help. I could be wrong on this though since I don't play DB. IG, SnS mainly are my weapons so that's really what I know, and SnS with evade+X is fantastic.

Edit: It goes to show how little I play DB. I read that as Demon Dance and not Demon Dash...

Samemind

What I've read, concerning the DB demon dashes and E+X, is that the total duration of the dash animation is actually shorter than how many iframes you gain with Evasion+2 or 3. So the only conceivable benefit is to get Evasion+1. Any higher is wasted skill points.

What I've read, concerning the DB demon dashes and E+X, is that the total duration of the dash animation is actually shorter than how many iframes you gain with Evasion+2 or 3. So the only conceivable benefit is to get Evasion+1. Any higher is wasted skill points.
As a DB user, I can say that this seems to be the case in practice.

LiQuid!

Does that mean with E+1 you're invincible thru the entire dash? I'll probably just spend some time testing it out. The problem is that I'm so bad at any kind of dodge-evading in this first place I don't imagine I will end up with any worthwhile data.

I definitely don't think something like this is in my future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YHwF24cwfk

Shengar

In my experience, Evade Extender is much more useful for DB dashes than Evade+1. You use Dash before shit happens, not when it happened which what Lance back hop could only do.

LiQuid!

GAF Hall for whatevs:

43-5811-5383-5041 pass:1379

Haven't had any breakfast so that's going to be my excuse for all carting today.

Top Bottom