• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Ulthwe

I took a break for a while, but recently got really into the game again. I'm about to take on Pink Rathian for the first time in Caravan 8 and am making my way through HR3 solo. I'm curious to see if I can take on HR4 solo as well.

I think I finally have a handle on all the important systems in the game (wycoon, meownster hunter, etc.), but trying to figure out if I should go for a new elemental longsword (stupid rath plates) or just fight a bunch of monsters makes me wonder sometimes. So far, I've just been pushing forward and haven't felt like I'm not doing enough damage. It's really been amazing fighting LR monsters with, for example, a Crab Cutter and getting a kill in a couple minutes. Progress!
I know right? That's (one of the) best feelings in the game. I remember having a really hard time with my first fights against Daimyo Hermitaur (his sideways walk always got me) and now it's a piece of cake.

I just finished HR4 solo so it's quite possible to make it, but I'm at Caravan 10 right now.

I know right? That's (one of the) best feelings in the game. I remember having a really hard time with my first fights against Daimyo Hermitaur (his sideways walk always got me) and now it's a piece of cake.

I just finished HR4 solo so it's quite possible to make it, but I'm at Caravan 10 right now.

Oh nice! What weapon(s)? I'm about to take on Caravan 8 and HR 4 and I'm worried my longsword collection is going to hit the wall. I wanted to get the Dios longsword, but I'm having trouble getting his tail. I think I need to try the Crab Cutter I have instead of the water LS I was using.

Ulthwe

Oh nice! What weapon(s)? I'm about to take on Caravan 8 and HR 4 and I'm worried my longsword collection is going to hit the wall. I wanted to get the Dios longsword, but I'm having trouble getting his tail. I think I need to try the Crab Cutter I have instead of the water LS I was using.
I've been juggling GS, IG, CB and SA for the whole game, so I can't tell you about LS. I'm about to jump into hammers too.

The monsters on HR4 are the common ones, so I would focus on trying to get materials for better weapons and armor on the caravan quests. I usually mix doing a new quest with arepeat (grinding) one to avoid tedium.

I've been juggling GS, IG, CB and SA for the whole game, so I can't tell you about LS. I'm about to jump into hammers too.

The monsters on HR4 are the common ones, so I would focus on trying to get materials for better weapons and armor on the caravan quests. I usually mix doing a new quest with arepeat (grinding) one to avoid tedium.

That's a good idea.

Switched to the Crab Cutter (raw damage, no element) and got his tail pretty easily. Got the Dios LS! Now I'm just a little confused on trying to unlock some quests (Caravan 6) but I'll worry about it later because I have a bunch of other quests I want to check out. There are just a few there that would let me farm for some materials I need earlier than having to get to Caravan 9 (HR Gore and HR Gravios specifically).

Ulthwe

That's a good idea.

Switched to the Crab Cutter (raw damage, no element) and got his tail pretty easily. Got the Dios LS! Now I'm just a little confused on trying to unlock some quests (Caravan 6) but I'll worry about it later because I have a bunch of other quests I want to check out. There are just a few there that would let me farm for some materials I need earlier than having to get to Caravan 9 (HR Gore and HR Gravios specifically).
Rock that blast attack on the Dios LS!

Both the HR Gore (Crazy Stupid Love) and HR Gravios (Hunt-a-thon: Gravios) caravan quests unlock later in the game. Check on kiranico the conditions for unlocking them (last column on the right lists the required quest to complete).

Rock that blast attack on the Dios LS!

Both the HR Gore (Crazy Stupid Love) and HR Gravios (Hunt-a-thon: Gravios) caravan quests unlock later in the game. Check on kiranico the conditions for unlocking them (last column on the right lists the required quest to complete).

Oh awesome. I was looking at the individual quest pages on there which don't list which HR they require. That list does. Looks like both of them require HR5, so I have some work to do. Thanks!

Edit: Also just unlocked HR expeditions. I really haven't been doing those at all.

Ulthwe

Edit: Also just unlocked HR expeditions. I really haven't been doing those at all.
I don't touch them either, and don't feel like missing anything at all. They're gone in MHX.

Reading about them in previews made them sound interesting, but I find the implementation to be quite cumbersome and not worth it.

I know this is a random request but does anyone have guild quests that will give the pieces of Damascus armor? I love the look of it and was hoping someone here had the 5 quests I need to speed things up instead of having to farm for the quests.

GenG3000

I bought 4 Ultimate game a few days ago and it is definitely worthy of its fame. The online community is excelent and very supportive, and it is pretty common to see high ranked players helping out the new ones by tanking and farming them strong monsters. I like that the game is based on cooperation and not domination or humiliation. Overall, my experience so far has been the opposite from any other MMO.

At first I found the battle system a bit clunky, cumbersome and overly complicated, but that is because it is clearly tuned for a multiplayer environment. The game discourages mashing or spamming, which makes battles more tactical and slow paced. Graphics and soundtrack are amazing and there is so much to do.

Right now I'm HR 3 with a full Rathian armor and that Gore Magala great sword.

I bought 4 Ultimate game a few days ago and it is definitely worthy of its fame. The online community is excelent and very supportive, and it is pretty common to see high ranked players helping out the new ones by tanking and farming them strong monsters. I like that the game is based on cooperation and not domination or humiliation. Overall, my experience so far has been the opposite from any other MMO.

At first I found the battle system a bit clunky, cumbersome and overly complicated, but that is because it is clearly tuned for a multiplayer environment. The game discourages mashing or spamming, which makes battles more tactical and slow paced. Graphics and soundtrack are amazing and there is so much to do.

Right now I'm HR 3 with a full Rathian armor and that Gore Magala great sword.

Nice! I'm just working through HR4 and took out Seregios for the first time in Caravan. I got triple carted against Azure Rathalos, but I think I can handle him next time with more items.

I'm debating whether to try to make his armor or do double gore, but I might end up going for both.
Edit: might go for Garuga S...

Dreavus

Nice! I'm just working through HR4 and took out Seregios for the first time in Caravan. I got triple carted against Azure Rathalos, but I think I can handle him next time with more items.

I'm debating whether to try to make his armor or do double gore, but I might end up going for both.

The A. Rathalos homing talon attack that poisons you is so brutal. I haven't figured out a great way to dodge it if my weapon is out and I can't dive. It's not unbeatable, but I just find myself taking that to the face every time he does it

tuffy

The A. Rathalos homing talon attack that poisons you is so brutal. I haven't figured out a great way to dodge it if my weapon is out and I can't dive. It's not unbeatable, but I just find myself taking that to the face every time he does it
The tell for that homing claw attack is that he'll hover slightly higher than normal, pick a target, then come lunging down. Dodging the attack itself takes better timing than I can muster. But if you can get directly under him while he's hovering, the claw attack will go over your head and miss.

Using a weapon with a shield is another good option, though. I even equipped my HBG with a shield temporarily to make that fight easier until I could get Evade Extender.

Ulthwe

I'm rocking a Garuga S + Seregios GS (Cheda blade) or Seregios Hammer (Matraca) and I take names left and right.

The only downside to the armor is its looks... Quite ugly!

The tell for that homing claw attack is that he'll hover slightly higher than normal, pick a target, then come lunging down. Dodging the attack itself takes better timing than I can muster. But if you can get directly under him while he's hovering, the claw attack will go over your head and miss.

Using a weapon with a shield is another good option, though. I even equipped my HBG with a shield temporarily to make that fight easier until I could get Evade Extender.

When I was farming raths for weapons and armor I think I got pretty consistent at dodging the attack. Like most things in monhun, you can dodge it but it takes some work. Probably easier to take your advice and just position yourself correctly rather than putting in that grind though lol.

Beat him! I had a couple bad starts, but finally took him out.Definitely one of the hardest for me so far. If I'm going to farm his armor, I need a better sword.

I'm rocking a Garuga S + Seregios GS (Cheda blade) or Seregios Hammer (Matraca) and I take names left and right.

I'm usually one to care too much about fashion hunter (or souls) so I'll probably go with it until I git gud(er).

Dreavus

Finally HR 7, hit it this morning on the bus.

Luckily Shagaru Magala wasn't too bad. He's nice enough to fly dramatically into the air before enraging so you don't really have to worry about getting hit out of the ear covering animation.

With this I should be able to start farming elder dragon blood.

The next Monster Hunter should have a pair of dual blades that's half poison and half blast. I've been on a poison craze lately, actively looking for monsters that are weak to poison for the Chameleos DBs that have been gathering dust until now. I noticed that a lot of monsters that are resistant to poison are weak to blast (judging from a thread on GameFAQs at least; I'd have to double check). There are already dual element and status/element combinations. Now we should get dual status.

You weren't kidding, it's awful looking! I got the chest, arms, and legs and built torso up head and waist for HG Earplugs, Attack up M (L if I can find a good charm), and Razor Sharp.

Now I'm just farming a bunch of different fights to upgrade my different longswords while making my way through Caravan 9 and HR4.

Ulthwe

You weren't kidding, it's awful looking! I got the chest, arms, and legs and built torso up head and waist for HG Earplugs, Attack up M (L if I can find a good charm), and Razor Sharp.

Now I'm just farming a bunch of different fights to upgrade my different longswords while making my way through Caravan 9 and HR4.
Told ya, no need to be a Fashion Hunter to flinch at the look of those greaves:
m_leg143_sm.png

PKrockin

I never played the switch axe before, but I lucked out on my like 5th max level guild quest and ended up with this.

I took the opportunity to try out both the swaxe and this new set I put together with evasion +3, challenger +2, constitution +1 and sharpness +1. It was also my first time actually trying out evasion +3.

DAMN is this set strong. It only took until the second hunt to get some ridiculously fast beatdowns basically just using the sword mode. I hope they remove evasion +3 in MHX, makes the game really easy.

Sometimes randoms can be really awesome in one quest and then do the same quest again and suck bad... Operation Lionheart - the group had 1 faint and finished in about 10 minutes. Second and third time doing it there were 3x carts in 3 minutes each time.

Also are we getting the G rank savage jho quest tomorrow? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Gurrry

Ok guys I have a very weird problem going on.

So it started last night with my Wii U. I wanted to play a little MH3U cause I havent touched it in awhile. When I tried to open it though, I get an error and the game wont start. So I tried to delete it... and it wont delete. The game is essentially stuck on my wii u. I cant move it, cant delete it.. cant do anything with it unless I send it in to nintendo.

Tonight.. I turn on my 3ds XL to try playing MH4... and when I open it.. I get "an error has occurred". The game wont open.

What the hell is going on? Did Capcom release some faulty updates lately? It seems highly unlikely that both MH games I own are getting fatal errors when I open them.

This is the most bizarre thing ive ever seen.

tuffy

What the hell is going on? Did Capcom release some faulty updates lately? It seems highly unlikely that both MH games I own are getting fatal errors when I open them.

This is the most bizarre thing ive ever seen.
I blame solar flares.

But really, both 3 Ultimate and 4 Ultimate received minor updates around launch and nothing since, so the games themselves should be just the same as before.

Mephala

Bought the game not long again. I've been playing since gen two so I've been mostly experimenting with the new weapons this time. Shame there aren't any new gunner weapons.

I really like the Insect Glaive as it lets me jump and fuck shit up pretty much whenever I want. That said, Charge Blade is so much fun. I am horrible with it but I after absolutely obliterating the single player Tigrex which I was half expecting to resort to a spare GS for I'm pretty committed in jumping ship to focus on Charge Blades as apposed to the IG I've been trying to level.

Will probably join gaf online soon, I want to finish up SP first.

MH is so glorious. So god damn hooked. Every damn time. Hand cramps from handheld sessions be damned.

Gurrry

I blame solar flares.

But really, both 3 Ultimate and 4 Ultimate received minor updates around launch and nothing since, so the games themselves should be just the same as before.

I dont understand how both versions on different systems are both giving me the same error. I even redownloaded mh4 last night and it did the same thing after it finished. None of my other games do this.

How do i go about fixing this guys?

edit: im on the phone with nintendo support again, hopefully they offer a better solution than sending it in like they did for the wiiU. this is seriously the most bizarre thing ive ever encountered. am i cursed? am i just not allowed to play MH?

Gurrry

Holy shit, well, I somehow fixed MH4.

If anyone out there is having this issue, goto the e-shop and find the "redowloadable" tab. Within that tab there is an option to "repair software". Do this check on both the game and the update file. The problem was with the update file (1.1). It redownloaded the patch and bam.. it worked.

Now this doesnt fix the MH3U issue on my wiiu.. but hell atleast im not cursed and I can actually play an MH game. The MH3U thing is still very annoying and my only option seems to be to send it in to nintendo for a 100 dollar repair. Considering this is the only game this happens with, I might just leave it be. It is taking up 7 gbs of my internal Wii U memory.. but if I really need to play it.. I can go buy a disc version for 20 bucks.

I just hope that if anyone else has this issue they find this post and maybe it helps. It was hell looking for info out there since this error is so rare.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been playing the crap out of the single player of this game. To the point where I've actually run out of missions despite having silver check marks for 6 star and 10 star. Also run out of money with so many Great Swords to make as I've been super lucky getting parts.

Sergios is great single player high rank armor as its dirt easy to make especially considering that damn monster appears in nearly every high rank mission.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My build all of the high rank Great Swords strat has been paying off in droves. Everytime I hunt a monster looking for the rare item, I get it on the first or second go. This luck is definitely going to fail in G Rank.

Only swords I have left are ones I don't have access to like Kushala and Rajang. Oh wait a minute, I guess I could get the next Brachy sword as well.

Gurrry

just when i thought my issues were solved..

now my 3ds doesnt show any of my downloaded games on the menu

they are all showing up in the SD card under data management.. but nothing on the home menu

im so fucking sick of this nintendo bull shit ive been having lately, this is 3 days in a row that some shit has happened.

Mephala

just when i thought my issues were solved..

now my 3ds doesnt show any of my downloaded games on the menu

they are all showing up in the SD card under data management.. but nothing on the home menu

im so fucking sick of this nintendo bull shit ive been having lately, this is 3 days in a row that some shit has happened.

Did you change SD cards? I had to do some copy-paste because some of the files were different.

ohlawd

Shoulda beeped me.

man

probaby tomorrow. One more time tonight then I'm going to sleep

EDIT: FUCK THIS. the fuck, man. how is this shit possible. fought my first one a day ago and won and now I can't kill a second in 1835970 different rooms

EDIT 2: and this dude's death message was "pain can suck my dick" no censors? I be missing tons in months huh

So now we have access to a bunch of different masks that give +10 points for a bunch of different skills. Anyone know whether or not the Armor Set Search will be updated to account for the last couple batches of DLC? I imagine that Garuga Mask and Hunter GX armor will make it much easier to get HG Earplugs and Challenger+2.

Beats

So now we have access to a bunch of different masks that give +10 points for a bunch of different skills. Anyone know whether or not the Armor Set Search will be updated to account for the last couple batches of DLC? I imagine that Garuga Mask and Hunter GX armor will make it much easier to get HG Earplugs and Challenger+2.

It should already have them. You have to have "Allow Event Armor" and "Allow Japanese Only DLC" enabled in the options.

Just beat Pink Rathian to get to HR5! Now I have access to HR Gore and Zinogre so I can upgrade my Dragon and Thunder swords.

Is there a list of what they all are? I think I found them:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/velociprey-mask

Start there and click the right hand links to see the rest. That one with Evade Dist +10 and Garuga with Hearing +10 look pretty awesome.

ohlawd

k I need to farm

high and G rank black Fatalis
G rank Los
some large frenzy monsters for Zenith L
do those 3-episode quests

HALP

randoms in the meantime

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just beat Pink Rathian to get to HR5! Now I have access to HR Gore and Zinogre so I can upgrade my Dragon and Thunder swords.

Is there a list of what they all are? I think I found them:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/velociprey-mask

Start there and click the right hand links to see the rest. That one with Evade Dist +10 and Garuga with Hearing +10 look pretty awesome.

I also just hit HR 5 this morning, if you want to get together sometime get back at me!

I also just hit HR 5 this morning, if you want to get together sometime get back at me!

Congrats! Now I should drop "the real MH starts here" but won't ;-)

I still have Caravan Fatalis and some others waiting for me, but I'd rather do some quick HR5 ones.

As I Dark Souls fan, it definitely applies. I still haven't played online yet. I'll be around after 3pm ET, if either (or both) of you want to take on some HR5+ quests.

Top Bottom