• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

I was thinking just the key quests.

Edit: Thanks for the help! Can't believe how fast we took some of those down.

Edit2: I'm hoping to hunt again tonight (probably after 6pm ET). I'll edit this post with the room if anyone is interested. Probably farming some HR monsters (Zinogre, Gore Mag, Shag Mag, Silver Rathalos, Brachydios) and finishing HR7.

Li Kao

Ok, it's unoriginal question time ! Yeah !
So I would be interested in discovering the series, but is the community still vibrant in this game ? Given that Monster Hunter is huge I would think so but better be safe than sorry.

Shengar

So I would be interested in discovering the series, but is the community still vibrant in this game ? Given that Monster Hunter is huge I would think so but better be safe than sorry.

Random room still easy to fill I think, but currently this OT pretty barren for the worse :(

Wiseblade

People are definitely still actively playing the game, but most of that activity is focused around the endgame/DLC quests. Finding people for early stuff isn't impossible though.

This thread is definitely less active but if you post a lobby, it's likely that at least oneperson will bite.

Dreavus

Forgot to post here, but I finally picked up the Rainbow Dye from Caravaneer's challenge! I went in completely blind, got thrashed several times, then looked up the quest online and saw tons of threads all over the place about "how do I beat this?!".

If anyone's having trouble, there are a number of strats but the one that worked for me was using smoke bombs (which I had no idea existed until then). Waiting a bit for them to separate at the start, then keeping the smoke up and killing Zinogre on his own was essential. After that, it's just 1v1 fights and there is plenty of time to fight the other two at a careful pace, even if Rajang is generally a colossal butthead.

Now I just need to get armor where you can actually see it... Gold Rathian just colours the straps :p

Li Kao

Hmm, another really nooby question : what about the game progression ? I mean is it recommended to really advance in single player before trying to multi or is the multiplayer adapted to all "levels" (yeah, I know there are no levels).

Hmm, another really nooby question : what about the game progression ? I mean is it recommended to really advance in single player before trying to multi or is the multiplayer adapted to all "levels" (yeah, I know there are no levels).

Honestly its both. There are elements of multiplayer that you need to have things done in single player, though that is end game stuff. But multiplayer is built around your Hunter Rank. You will only have access to quests your rank allows. People with ranks higher then you can join your hunts but you can't join theirs until you are at the appropriate rank.

I would say do a mixture of both. Go online and if you get a good group do as much as you can then go back and do the solo stuff. Personally I finished all of the low rank solo quests I could before going into multiplayer the first time in this game. There really is no wrong way to play. I mean any quest can be done solo if you work at it enough. But the multiplayer quests are geared for that, monsters have higher health, do more damage, etc.

ohlawd

33-3247-7817-2939

Apex Jho. people come and go all the time because my success rate with this bs is 30%. check back in every 5 mins if it's full. I'm here for two whole hours

tuffy

Although the single-player and multi-player areas have separate progression, I really recommend starting out with the single-player quests because they're designed to show new players how important game mechanics work. Like how it'll give you a quest to show how to gather items around the map and how to combine them to make more items. Then a quest to beat up small monsters to get a feel for how weapons operate. Then a quest against a weakling "big" monster to get a feel for how actual fights work. Then a quest to capture a "big" monster to understand how capturing works. And so on.

Going through them tier-by-tier is a good learning experience.

Probably farming some HR monsters (Zinogre, Gore Mag, Stygian Zinogre, Silver Rathalos, Brachydios) and finishing HR7.

Edit: Done, thanks for the help!

Still need to get a Zinogre Jasper and Rathalos Ruby and Brach Gem...

Ulthwe

Probably farming some HR monsters (Zinogre, Gore Mag, Stygian Zinogre, Silver Rathalos, Brachydios) and finishing HR7.

Edit: Done, thanks for the help!

Still need to get a Zinogre Jasper and Rathalos Ruby and Brach Gem...
For the Jasper, you can try the Caravan Hunt-a-thon Zinogre quest. It still has meager 1% and 2% chances, but you can keep on hunting for them.

What is a good HR armor to aim for? Using mostly CB, IG and maybe a bit of SnS

List of armor sets from Reddit

I used teh Velociprey S until late HR then got the Garuga mixed set 1 on there.

For the Jasper, you can try the Caravan Hunt-a-thon Zinogre quest. It still has meager 1% and 2% chances, but you can keep on hunting for them.

Are those only in Caravan? I might just get a better ice sword to make it go faster and do that.

tuffy

Are those only in Caravan? I might just get a better ice sword to make it go faster and do that.
Caravan 8, to be precise. With about a 9% chance of carving at least one Jasper per high rank Zinogre, it should be pretty easy to keep killing them in the hunt-a-thon until you get one.

Mephala

Thanks guys. I normally don't get HR armor too quickly but I'm keen for something better than my low veloci set as everything just hurts a bit too much when in rage mode and I'm not yet good enough with the new weapons and maps to survive everything.

I'm struggling with the controls on my 3DS. It seems a little unresponsive at times especially when I'm balls deep in monsters and trying to combo charge, reload and then blast with my charge axe. I've practiced the timing in empty zones but in practice it is still difficult.

Also. I hate randomly jumping because of the new ramps. Well, jumping is ok but the landing gets me wrecked too often. I need to pay more attention I guess but it is sort of annoying at the moment.

Edit. And rage mode and frenzy is mean. :p

Caravan 8, to be precise. With about a 9% chance of carving at least one Jasper per high rank Zinogre, it should be pretty easy to keep killing them in the hunt-a-thon until you get one.

That sounds good. I'll upgrade my ice LS and go after that. Any thoughts on the Rath Ruby and Brach gem farming?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That sounds good. I'll upgrade my ice LS and go after that. Any thoughts on the Rath Ruby and Brach gem farming?

Carving God, Part Breaker, Shock Trap, Flash Bomb (for Rath especially). Trap the monster / mount, cut the tail right away, flash bomb / dung bomb to carve in peace, Carving God gives you 2-3 carves. You can reset if you don't get it, but if you're killing High Rank Rath(alos?) and Brachy is around five minutes, you could just play through the quest too.

Carving God, Part Breaker, Shock Trap, Flash Bomb (for Rath especially). Trap the monster / mount, cut the tail right away, flash bomb / dung bomb to carve in peace, Carving God gives you 2-3 carves. You can reset if you don't get it, but if you're killing High Rank Rath(alos?) and Brachy is around five minutes, you could just play through the quest too.

Is there a good set in HR (or G) for Carving God and Part Breaker?

Edit: playing tonight at 9pm ET if anyone wants to join. I'll probably do some HR farming and maybe try to get through some G1.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Edit: playing tonight at 9pm ET if anyone wants to join. I'll probably do some HR farming and maybe try to get through some G1.

Let me know when you're on. I'm waiting for Fallout 4 to install, which is about another 40 minutes, but I could help before then.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Gold Rathian has part breaker and great luck for high rank, but it's a lot of work to get it.

Great hunts again, tonight. Thanks!

I made it to G2 and made a great Ice Longsword!

Sorry, got started late, then Fallout 4 comes and the Badge Center just came out. I'll try to join next time.

No problem. Enjoy FO4!

I just looked this up and damnit, I have to do the transport quests to unlock that. So annoying.

tuffy

I just looked this up and damnit, I have to do the transport quests to unlock that. So annoying.
My solution to the carrying quests was typically:
  1. kill the big monster(s) (if any)
  2. go to the item spot
  3. chug a Dash Juice/Mega Dash Juice
  4. sprint all the way back to base while carrying item
  5. repeat steps 2-4 until complete
Avoid the Magic Boulders is tedious, but there's not much that can go wrong once the big monsters are taken care of.

Ulthwe

I've played my first online hunts (after 180 h, no less) and it feels a bit like cheating. I mean, kicking a HR5 Pink Rathian and Red Khezu ass in less than 5 minutes, wow! Monsters don't seem so intimidating this way.

Anyway, I'm done with the Caravan quests and I have to build my HR level to unlock the remaining ones, so I guess online is the place to be if I want to do it quick and dirty. I also want to see the late game monsters (Chameleos, Rajang, Ukanlos...), and get the Diablos armor.

I've played my first online hunts (after 180 h, no less) and it feels a bit like cheating. I mean, kicking a HR5 Pink Rathian and Red Khezu ass in less than 5 minutes, wow! Monsters don't seem so intimidating this way.

Anyway, I'm done with the Caravan quests and I have to build my HR level to unlock the remaining ones, so I guess online is the place to be if I want to do it quick and dirty. I also want to see the late game monsters (Chameleos, Rajang, Ukanlos...), and get the Diablos armor.

I had the exact same experience. What HR are you at now?

HR5. You seem to have risen your rank quite fast in just a few days.

Thanks largely to several friendly GAFfers! Now I just need to farm to finish up a few weapons.

Does anyone have any suggestions for armor in G2? I would want an upgrade from Razor Sharp + AuM (should be L but I can't find a charm) + HGE. I'm thinking about a Garuga Mix that gives: HG Earplugs, Evasion +1, Sharpness +1, Critical +1, Razor Sharp. I think the only set I'd rather get is something with Crit +2 rather than evasion. The defense on my current set has been fine so far upgrading it with stones as I go.

Edit: just threw this into Athena's and I see it is possible. Any other skills or armors anyone would recommend for Long Sword?

ohlawd

that set looks good to me. dunno how you can improve that from where you're currently at

so like iunno how this happened but I found a decent HH with +5 Edgemaster and a +2 EM, +8 Evasion charm

so I made this set
High Grade Earplugs
Honed Blade
Evasion +1
Horn Maestro
Razor Sharp

if the charm had slots, I could gem in Crit Eye +1 on top of all that

that set looks good to me. dunno how you can improve that from where you're currently at

so like iunno how this happened but I found a decent HH with +5 Edgemaster and a +2 EM, +8 Evasion charm

so I made this set
High Grade Earplugs
Honed Blade
Evasion +1
Horn Maestro
Razor Sharp

if the charm had slots, I could gem in Crit Eye +1 on top of all that
That is a nice set. What songs are on the HH?

ohlawd

That is a nice set. What songs are on the HH?

AUL
Snow/Mud negated
Cold Cancel
Heat Cancel
Hearing Protection (s)

I only ever use AUL since I mostly use Jang's HH and the only notable song on that thing is AUL. with this thing, I can spam HGE if the other three members of the party don't have it

-10%, it's got 430 poison but it needs Awaken for it ;_;

the armor is
Cham helm
Garuga Chest
Rusted Kushala arms
Torso Up waist
normal Jho legs

Top Bottom