• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

I'm new to the series and after trying the tutorial fights I've decided to choose between the insect glaive, switch axe and charge blade. Is there a general consensus on which of these weapons does the most damage?

Also if I get really far into the game and decide to switch weapons have I set myself back a lot by staying with one weapon? Is it even realistically possible to develop multiple weapons at a time?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm new to the series and after trying the tutorial fights I've decided to choose between the insect glaive, switch axe and charge blade. Is there a general consensus on which of these weapons does the most damage?

Also if I get really far into the game and decide to switch weapons have I set myself back a lot by staying with one weapon? Is it even realistically possible to develop multiple weapons at a time?

All weapons are pretty much created equal, just pick whatever playstyle you like best.

All you need to do to switch is make a weapon of the type you want and that's that. How many you have at a time is down to how much farming you want to do.

Basically, you're overthinking the system.

Shengar

That apex diablos though

Sonic bomb -> para while trapped -> pitfall trap -> flash bomb -> para -> shock trap
It wasn't free for even a second

Kind of stuffs that speedrunner do
But it can be more effective though, There should be a flash bomb first before pitfall trapped.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

I don't think dealing the most damage is a really good motivator for selecting a weapon type in this game. You should really play what you like the feel of the most.

When I started the game, after a brief stint with the bow, the first weapon I settled on was the IG but I quickly realized that it was way too much of a pain to use at low levels because the speed of the kinsect is so poor until you can max one out which takes high tier monster drops, a TON of zenny and a TON of caravan points. Now that I'm late game, I've leveled up about a half dozen IGs and I love the weapon, but trying to go back to unleveled IG's is torturous and I don't know how that weapon is supposed to be considered usable at low and high ranks.

Switch axe was my eventual go to and the weapon I've used the most. It's easy to use and super satisfying to be able to go ham on monsters and it's really good at breaking body parts. I meant to just use it as a temporary holdover until I could max out some IGs but it turned into my favorite weapon and now it's the one I use the most.

Charge blade I've yet to really get into. I don't really dig on the way you have to fill meters up on it to use it effectively. There are a lot of obscure button combinations you have to learn in order to unleash its power and I haven't felt the desire to try and get good with it yet. That said this is far and away one of the most popular weapons and a lot easier to use at low levels than the IG.

Once you get to high level it's no problem at all to branch out into multiple weapon types. I think that's what most people end up doing to be honest. Even going thru the game it's not too much of an issue to switch between different weapon types, it just increases the amount of farming you need to do in each rank in order to keep them all upgraded.

Dreavus

You don't have to since High and G Rank Dah'ren is available on Caravan Quest. Unless you talk about Low Rank Dah'ren, but with High Rank gear it should be manageable.

I think it's the 3 star "urgent" to get out of low rank and into high rank in the gathering hall. I've finished the offline stuff so my equipment is high rank.

I guess I'll open up a room tonight anyways to see.

Ulthwe

I think it's the 3 star "urgent" to get out of low rank and into high rank in the gathering hall. I've finished the offline stuff so my equipment is high rank.

I guess I'll open up a room tonight anyways to see.
I'm in the same boat as you, almost finished the Caravan quests but left the Guild ones behind as soon as that boring Dah'ren Mohran fight showed up. I beat him on my second try last night (Zinogre armor + Khezu GS). It took me 30 min and the first time he broke the boat.

I looked for video tutorials on beating him and couldn't find anything useful, so resorted to taking a look at this one. The problem is that in the HR3 misson there's no Ballista Binder ammunition, so some of the tactics there don't apply.

I agree that no binder ammo is odd since the binder is part of the ship. If you can't find binder ammo in the box, you have to gather it from between the stairs on the front of the ship.

Ulthwe

The HR3 Mohran must have a Ballista Binder. Not only would it be strange not to be there since all the other Mohran hunts have one, but Kiranico lists it in the supplies for that quest.

I agree that no binder ammo is odd since the binder is part of the ship. If you can't find binder ammo in the box, you have to gather it from between the stairs on the front of the ship.
You're both right, there's binder ammo in the box, somehow I missed it twice. That's what happens when playing late at night.

H1PSTER

About to hit G3 and absolutely love Switch Axes but I feel so bad using them online as lately I've been hitting people away with them.

How can I stop doing that?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
About to hit G3 and absolutely love Switch Axes but I feel so bad using them online as lately I've been hitting people away with them.

How can I stop doing that?

Just use the sword mode A-X-A-X combo, it doesn't trip, and you can draw directly into it from sheathed by hitting R-A-X together. Only start your combo in axe mode if you have enough room.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just use the sword mode A-X-A-X combo, it doesn't trip, and you can draw directly into it from sheathed by hitting R-A-X together. Only start your combo in axe mode if you have enough room.

Don't forget that he can go straight into sword mode from the axe's stab attack, so if you need to close space and don't want to worry about tripping someone after it's a great combo.

There should be a skill that boosts poison damage the same way Bombardier and Felyne Pyro boost Blast. I don't like having my poison weapons become obsolete in every game. There are already monsters that can inflict double-strength poison in higher level quests. Why can't we hunters get in on that?

On a side note, I found out that the Akantor Shadow Claws are insanely powerful with the right skills, namely Critical God, Challenger+2, and Razor Sharp (and HG Earplugs). I actually killed a G-Rank Purple Gypceros in less than 5 minutes with them (but it took a few tries). It didn't even leave its starting area!

There should be a skill that boosts poison damage the same way Bombardier and Felyne Pyro boost Blast. I don't like having my poison weapons become obsolete in every game. There are already monsters that can inflict double-strength poison in higher level quests. Why can't we hunters get in on that?

Status Attack +1 and +2 as well as Crit Status do just what you are asking for.

Ulthwe

Just saw some sample pics from MH Illustrations III. I need this...
Thanks for the heads up, here's some images from the Amazon JP page (more at the link):
K7jEwOZ.jpg
ngUqIeo.png
i3VTVo4.png
rTsntMW.png
Great concept art for Seltas, Najarala and Kecha Wacha, really shows the work that goes behind each and every monster.

Ulthwe

That feeling when you're easily slaying a monster, slapping it left and right, hit it with the final blow and get the "Quest failed" song... 'cos you forgot it was a capture quest.

Prototype

Got all the GX hunter parts I needed and.... Nothing. Lol.

All that work and it really doesn't even allow me to make any sets I couldn't make already.

Got all the GX hunter parts I needed and.... Nothing. Lol.

All that work and it really doesn't even allow me to make any sets I couldn't make already.

I thought the appeal was the fact that all pieces have 3 slots so you could use them in other sets easier, and the +6 to skills on pieces.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
High Rank Village in this game just doesn't end. I bet I've spent twice as long on this as I did on 3U and I'm only up to 9*, plus I apparently have some low rank quests that I can't access until I do more multiplayer.

Wolfe

My new PS4 has consumed my gaming time lol.

I thought the appeal was the fact that all pieces have 3 slots so you could use them in other sets easier, and the +6 to skills on pieces.

You don't even know, so many sets with the arms for that easy +10 challenger :p

Prototype

Thanks to gx hunter waist, I finally can use rebellion z mail and have it not look ugly.

HGears
Awaken
Crit Draw
Focus
Weakness Exploit

This also lets me use my other GS, little less raw but 480 paralyze and a slot. Makes up for the loss of ~100 attack imo.

Dreavus

Molten Tigrex suuuuucks. Once he is in rage mode he is untouchable.

I think I need to make a different weapon other than the IG. Being in front of him to get red juice is getting me killed.

Brussels

Molten Tigrex suuuuucks. Once he is in rage mode he is untouchable.

I think I need to make a different weapon other than the IG. Being in front of him to get red juice is getting me killed.

I just beat him the other day for the first time as IG. What I did was play really conservative. When he was in rage mode, I stayed out of his way and just looked for an opening for 1 or 2 attacks then roll outta there. Just keep circling until you see an opening.. I also poked him non stop with my bug and got him into 2 traps that fight.

Wolfe

I still need help finishing my final, Militant Dalamadur Set before putting this game for good.

What game on PS4 You have been playing?

Unity and GTA5 (first person makes this game so crazy fun), still barely touched Uncharted collection and Metro Redux.

Brussels

Would anyone be up to help out with my Ukanlos urgent in HR 7? my hall is 00-0860-2429-3819
people just leave as they see the quest posted haha
Thanks

Wolfe

Turns out someone in the house just started watching Netflix so I'm going to bow out due to the likely constant d/c's I'll be seeing.

Sorry I couldn't stick around longer!

JimPanzer

Anyone knows how long before the release capcom publishes demos of the MH Games? I feel like it's almost time for the MHX demo to show up on the JP eshop.

Dreavus

I just beat him the other day for the first time as IG. What I did was play really conservative. When he was in rage mode, I stayed out of his way and just looked for an opening for 1 or 2 attacks then roll outta there. Just keep circling until you see an opening.. I also poked him non stop with my bug and got him into 2 traps that fight.

Ah ha, this did the trick, thanks. You really CANNOT get greedy in this fight or he will combo you to death, especially with that steamroll-charge thing he does where he keeps swinging around for another pass.

Decided to play very safe until he got tired each time. I basically went full defensive and didn't really try for that many pokes. Once he slowed down I just comboed his legs/tail for a while until he got enraged again. It was a long fight, but overall a bit shorter than I expected.

The killing blow was from my kinsect smacking him in the face for the red buff, lol. Got both fangs I needed from that one fight so I'm feeling pretty good about that!

Hey all I have a room up. My friend and I are going to be hunting for a couple of hours. If you want to join I have 2 spots for random g hunts. Probably a furious rajang or two and rusted kushala ( at least thats what I want to hunt).

Closed

JimPanzer

My MH Illustrations 3 artbook just arrived. Gorgeous as always. Are the japanese versions always hardcover? I only have an english copy of MH Illustrations 2 and that one is softcover.

Brussels

Ah ha, this did the trick, thanks. You really CANNOT get greedy in this fight or he will combo you to death, especially with that steamroll-charge thing he does where he keeps swinging around for another pass.

Decided to play very safe until he got tired each time. I basically went full defensive and didn't really try for that many pokes. Once he slowed down I just comboed his legs/tail for a while until he got enraged again. It was a long fight, but overall a bit shorter than I expected.

The killing blow was from my kinsect smacking him in the face for the red buff, lol. Got both fangs I needed from that one fight so I'm feeling pretty good about that!

Awesome! Getting over a roadblock in this game is so satisfying isn't it?

deoee

I loved this game when it came out.
Sadly my friends stopped plaaying with me and I don't like to do it alone :-/
Anyone of you still playing this online? :)
I need to check out everything again before I can provide some infor on my rank etc.
PLUS i totally forgot the controls
e5YuU.gif

Dreavus

Awesome! Getting over a roadblock in this game is so satisfying isn't it?

That's what MH is all about!

Fighting in that arena so much was good practice for the Gold Rathian. Actually not an awful fight aside from the scarily accurate tail-uppercut, but she telegraphs that pretty clearly. She's also not as huge as M. Tigrex. I think I might stop here and go for the armor for style/greed points.

I took a break for a while, but recently got really into the game again. I'm about to take on Pink Rathian for the first time in Caravan 8 and am making my way through HR3 solo. I'm curious to see if I can take on HR4 solo as well.

I think I finally have a handle on all the important systems in the game (wycoon, meownster hunter, etc.), but trying to figure out if I should go for a new elemental longsword (stupid rath plates) or just fight a bunch of monsters makes me wonder sometimes. So far, I've just been pushing forward and haven't felt like I'm not doing enough damage. It's really been amazing fighting LR monsters with, for example, a Crab Cutter and getting a kill in a couple minutes. Progress!

Top Bottom