• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd recommend G rank Tetsu and then G Rank Seregios shortly after; you'll then be set till end game armors then.

Both of those are monsters I'm quite comfortable with fighting.

Another fun suit I've been rocking lately near the end of high rank is Black Gravios. I had a group of people all wanting to clear HR 5 and after fighting it only three times had all the pieces. Tons of slots, tons of defense, healthy fire resistance, looks like a boss. Just wish I was a lancer but the few times I've blocked with my great sword I've really noticed the effect.

I encountered super Crimson Fatalis for the first time, my ~700 defense was not enough ;__;

What is a good endgame armor set that not only is functional for GS/Lancing of any kind, but looks pretty? I'm using a girl character for the butterfly armor but I want to expand my wardrobe and seeing the same Kush/Cham/Kaiser sets is getting boring. I'll accept mixed and event sets for fun. :)

Edit: This actually looks pretty neat too.

Just started playing this a couple days ago. Loving the Insect Glaive. Using the Bone Glaive+ right now but have an option to craft the Stealth glaive. Is it worth it or should I wait for better options?

Renewed

Enough Bloodborne, back to G-rank Arena frustration.

Hall ID: 52-9441-8971-7746
Pass: 1379

Edit: That's all for today, thanks for the help. I'm gonna look into something to accommodate my hands...

El Odio

Banned
So I got this two weeks ago from targets b2g1 deal and started playing it this weekend. I'm liking it so far, only just started doing the quests for people in in first area, but who the hell wrote this dialogue? God awful stuff.

ohlawd

So I got this two weeks ago from targets b2g1 deal and started playing it this weekend. I'm liking it so far, only just started doing the quests for people in in first area, but who the hell wrote this dialogue? God awful stuff.

this is 8-4 at their finest, man

can you share some examples

I'm interested in playing tonight. Maybe 7ish ET. I'll post when I'm available. I could do KD.

I also have a bunch of quests I'd like to do, but not sure what to prioritize right now because it's either stuff like kill a bunch of Nerscylla in G to get cortexes for the charge blade (easy) or farm furious rajang for armor (hard). I also haven't done any of the Fatalis fights, which I'd like to do at some point. So many things to do in this game!

Edit: is Status+1 and StatusCrit better than just Status+2 for dual blades?
Edit2: Answer: status+2 unless you have very high affinity. With maths: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/3itlb7/question_status_atk2_or_status_atk1_with_status/

El Odio

Banned
this is 8-4 at their finest, man

can you share some examples
Most of it is from the tutorial dialogue where the people trying to explain how to use the different weapons and make use of the guild center try to be "funny" with a heap of cringeworthy dialogue. When they actually try to be helpful its all fine and dandy but for 70% of the weapons tutorial quests I've done I just mashed through the dialogue and looked it up in the hunter notes because I wasn't having any of that.

Dreavus

Most of it is from the tutorial dialogue where the people trying to explain how to use the different weapons and make use of the guild center try to be "funny" with a heap of cringeworthy dialogue. When they actually try to be helpful its all fine and dandy but for 70% of the weapons tutorial quests I've done I just mashed through the dialogue and looked it up in the hunter notes because I wasn't having any of that.

Awww, I like most of the dialogue in the game, though I've never actually done those tutorial quests. Maybe those in particular are bad.

Their pun game is undeniably on point though, especially the palico puns. There must have been a person whose sole job it was to come up with endless cat puns and I love all of it.

So there's a frenzy equivalent in MHX. Figured this would be the case.

Also the more of gaijin hunter's content I watch the more frustrated I become with him. It might sound petty but he makes really weird judgement calls based on images and such that don't make any sense, and his english is sometimes really questionable. It's not so bad that I don't want to watch his content or anything, but man it bugs me at times.

El Odio

Banned
Awww, I like most of the dialogue in the game, though I've never actually done those tutorial quests. Maybe those in particular are bad.

Their pun game is undeniably on point though, especially the palico puns. There must have been a person whose sole job it was to come up with endless cat puns and I love all of it.
Going back it was really just the ace cadet who was getting on my nerves but all those weapon tutorials are done so no more of that.

I'm really enjoying the game as a whole though, can't wait till I'm back home and can try the online stuff.

JimPanzer

So there's a frenzy equivalent in MHX. Figured this would be the case.

Also the more of gaijin hunter's content I watch the more frustrated I become with him. It might sound petty but he makes really weird judgement calls based on images and such that don't make any sense, and his english is sometimes really questionable. It's not so bad that I don't want to watch his content or anything, but man it bugs me at times.

Well, I never noticed anything about his english being off, but english isn't my mother tongue, so I can't really judge. He's living in Japan for I believe 13 years now, that's gotta have some impact on your mother tongue.

I get what you mean with the weird judgement calls, most of the time he's right though.

Well, I never noticed anything about his english being off, but english isn't my mother tongue, so I can't really judge. He's living in Japan for I believe 13 years now, that's gotta have some impact on your mother tongue.

I get what you mean with the weird judgement calls, most of the time he's right though.

Yeah, it's not anything egregious, he just tends to repeat the same words/sentence structure, or has weird word choice. The complaint is admittedly pretty pedantic. I think you're right it has a lot to do with him spending so much time in Japan. I think also he just isn't all that practiced at that sort of speech giving.

Ulthwe

Yeah, it's not anything egregious, he just tends to repeat the same words/sentence structure, or has weird word choice. The complaint is admittedly pretty pedantic. I think you're right it has a lot to do with him spending so much time in Japan. I think also he just isn't all that practiced at that sort of speech giving.
My only complaint about him is that he might get a bit overexcited on some of his "MHX Famitsu" videos, but I'll gladly take that because he's been day and date with his updates, and there's no other, AFAIK, analysing and translating every news that comes across.

And his weapon videos have been invaluable. It's been the main difference between my MH3U and MH4U overall experience, knowing WTF I'm doing with the weapons, as I tend to jump around quite a bit in my selection.

Going back it was really just the ace cadet who was getting on my nerves but all those weapon tutorials are done so no more of that.

I'm really enjoying the game as a whole though, can't wait till I'm back home and can try the online stuff.

Phew!
A huge part of the entire series' charm is the writing/translation.
Yours has been the first complaint I've seen about it, ever.
This game on the whole is tremendously well written and funny, glad you're coming round to it :)

So I'm thinking of picking my copy of MH4U up again this weekend. 4U is my first MonHun and I put it down after I got G1 and some new games comes out. Are people still playing? Will I have trouble finding rooms for stuff that's HR & G1?

tuffy

So I'm thinking of picking my copy of MH4U up again this weekend. 4U is my first MonHun and I put it down after I got G1 and some new games comes out. Are people still playing? Will I have trouble finding rooms for stuff that's HR & G1?
You're not going to have trouble finding randoms to play with if need be; the servers are still plenty active. Hunters from GAF can also help out given a room ID and password, schedules permitting.

You're not going to have trouble finding randoms to play with if need be; the servers are still plenty active. Hunters from GAF can also help out given a room ID and password, schedules permitting.

Coolcoolcool. I was a bit worried that by this point everyone had either quit or moved on to G3 Gold Crown quests only. I may post a bit later asking for a gear check if you think you could help with that. I can't remember exactly what I could handle and would hate to waste people's time trying stuff that I ain't cut out for.

Ulthwe

So you can harvest efficiently by holding A in MHX.

GOAT.
Not only that, you can: rest, check your full item/equipment box, manage Palicos and create weapons and armor from the gathering hall (BOOM!). Gaijin Hunter said so on this video.

Now let me create a full armor set in one go (and check the missing materials) and I will be in MH heaven.

Doombear

Now let me create a full armor set in one go (and check the missing materials) and I will be in MH heaven.

Do you think those things will not be possible? That sucks. I guess I assumed that you were basically getting a smithy NPC or the equivalent in the Online Hall. You interpreted it as just an upgrade option? Either way, it is a good direction for keeping those hunts going without having to wait for people to go back to the house, change, upgrade, check 'shopping list', etc.

Ulthwe

Do you think those things will not be possible? That sucks. I guess I assumed that you were basically getting a smithy NPC or the equivalent in the Online Hall. You interpreted it as just an upgrade option? Either way, it is a good direction for keeping those hunts going without having to wait for people to go back to the house, change, upgrade, check 'shopping list', etc.
You assumed right, there's a smith in the online hall.

What I meant is to check all the, say, Rathian armor parts in one go, and see if you can build the whole set.

Doombear

You assumed right, there's a smith in the online hall.

What I meant is to check all the, say, Rathian armor parts in one go, and see if you can build the whole set.

OH! Ha, yes... I would love that! That would mean I could actually play the game without being 4 feet from MH Dex at all times. That would be nice...

Renewed

Going to open up some G-rank turns.

Hall ID: 59-0215-6901-6942
Pass:1379

Edit: Have to eat so I'm done. A space should be open.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I feel ya... People would think such an option could influence on the desire sensor :)

Can you elaborate? I usually make the parts I can, check what I'm missing then reload the game.

It would be a great feature if you could tell the smithy you want to make x set and have him generate a list for what you need that you could open up in the menu and check. Maybe even have him or her take stuff from your inventory and hold it to one side.

Ulthwe

It would be a great feature if you could tell the smithy you want to make x set and have him generate a list for what you need that you could open up in the menu and check. Maybe even have him or her take stuff from your inventory and hold it to one side.
That would be a Godsend! A good chunk of menu juggling time cut and an overall smoother experiencie.

Shengar

Buying separate armor pieces never been a hassle to me. It is visualization of full armor set that I need (mixed set visualization would be godsend too).

61-0058-4403-1758
No pass

Just after div spheres really but also trying to level up a gq to 140 for the first time if anyone wants to join. Hugs and kisses.

I finally did what I've been putting off for as long as possible...

I beat The Master's Test and Monster Hunter quests today.

That's every solo and multi quest complete.
After this months DLC it's all over :'(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Someone who is way too good at the game helped me finish off all of the 6 star quests. Styling in High rank appropriate gear and demolishing everything. Had a hunter rank that was close to a grand.

If you're reading this, thanks a bunch. Now I just need the dozen or so 7* quests! The urgent as well...and some event quests that are waay too hard for the level they let people in at.

Dreavus

Someone who is way too good at the game helped me finish off all of the 6 star quests. Styling in High rank appropriate gear and demolishing everything. Had a hunter rank that was close to a grand.

If you're reading this, thanks a bunch. Now I just need the dozen or so 7* quests! The urgent as well...and some event quests that are waay too hard for the level they let people in at.

If you get to the HR7 urgent sometime soon we could help each other out (I think there's only 4 key quests). I've been sitting on that one for a while and it seems hard to get pick up groups interested in doing Dalamadur.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you get to the HR7 urgent sometime soon we could help each other out (I think there's only 4 key quests). I've been sitting on that one for a while and it seems hard to get pick up groups interested in doing Dalamadur.

I've beaten Dalamadur, haven't fought Uklanos yet.

El Odio

Banned
I went out on my first expedition and fought a pack of Velocidrome. After I changed my switch axe into sword mode and killed the alpha with a mighty swing just as it tried to lunge at me I couldn't help but wonder as I started to carve it up "where has this game been all my life?"

Top Bottom