• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Yrael

Use deodorant to get rid of the powder.

Ah cool thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the next fight!

I carved a gem from the first battle - I think I'll use it for a Teostra's Arx, once I've found a worn switch axe that I can upgrade (I want to try collecting all of the switch axes in the game).

It's a shame that the Teostra blademaster armour looks absolutely rubbish. :(

TeostraBlademaster.png

co1onel

Ah cool thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the next fight!

I carved a gem from the first battle - I think I'll use it for a Teostra's Arx, once I've found a worn switch axe that I can upgrade (I want to try collecting all of the switch axes in the game).

It's a shame that the Teostra blademaster armour looks absolutely rubbish. :(

TeostraBlademaster.png

That's the old teostra armor. Looks different in MH4U.
It looks worse now

Ristlager

Anyone want to help me get my seregios helm? Need two air blades and some bnabra..
Room: 07-6580-1060-6620

Got what I needed!

Pila

Gonna fight the caravan apex Seregios today! Had my revenge against frenzied Brachy, sometimes I'm just too aggressive with dudes I know from 3U, I just fought it again being more defensive and I never carted.

I'm 100 hours in and I feel like I still have to start the game, still HR6 :( can't play online atm, maybe I'm doing some guild solo...

Airan

I feel like I missed the boat when everyone was piling on for their Hellruin Glaives, and now I'm having to endure Crimson Fatalis with people who bring -20 fire res to the fight.

And there are STILL people who have about a bajillion inactive skills... Capcom should use their PSA system to give a 'tip of the day' or something.

redcrayon

Hm I think we're thinking of different things. Looked it up and it seems it's only obtainable as a 15% chance reward from sending hunters for hire out on G quests.

I need 3 of them fml (ヽ´ω`)
Oh, sorry!

I finally got my Seregios lens. I had to kill 23 G-rank Seregios solo for it. Still, could have been worse, I probably killed double that in Ratholos hunts looking for a ruby in Tri...

Now I've got Guard Up, Constitution+2, Bleeding, Divine Protection and Steady Hand, and a basic defence of around 700 (including my lovely +60 def. Claw Lance). I just need to find some Apex creatures to get the wyvern gems to hone my lance. Guess I need to head on to G3 if there aren't any in caravan.

redcrayon

I feel like I missed the boat when everyone was piling on for their Hellruin Glaives, and now I'm having to endure Crimson Fatalis with people who bring -20 fire res to the fight.

And there are STILL people who have about a bajillion inactive skills... Capcom should use their PSA system to give a 'tip of the day' or something.
I think it's where people are flying through online as quick as they can, cobbling together armour with the highest total defence out whatever they have lying around. That and they might not have bothered learning about decorations or anything if it's their first monster hunter game and they just go straight online. They might not have even reached Harth in Caravan.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Funny, just got through a couple runs where we downed it in 6 minutes each time.

Shengar

I haven't fought Crimson Fatalis with GAF so that might be my target next.
*Paging hunter Merydia for help

Caught a Plesioth on Sungsnug Isle :D

Palicoes are adorable

Switched out my Auto-Block charm for one that cancels Cold, will switch it back out when I'm done with this frozen area.

Kinda really want to build the Mosgharl set and Stahlfakt, even though neither of them suit my current playstyle :(

Not that I have anywhere near enough parts for the sword anyway

Airan

I think it's where people are flying through online as quick as they can, cobbling together armour with the highest total defence out whatever they have lying around. That and they might not have bothered learning about decorations or anything if it's their first monster hunter game and they just go straight online. They might not have even reached Harth in Caravan.

I really think they should have some sort of exam quest for future installations. At the very least, something that requires a specific skill to be activated before you can accept the quest, because it's evident that a lot of players just skip text and ignore the explanation of the mechanics. Something like a safe volcano powderstone quest where cold drinks and palicoes aren't allowed, and you must skill up Heat Res to make it through successfully. Bonus Caravan Points for skilling in Transporter.

Pila

Gonna fight the caravan apex Seregios today!

Well... it didn't last more than your standard Seregios :/ cool looking though.

Is the apex status a bigger inconvenience in G rank? Kinda expected the time of my life today instead of a 10 minutes fight in all honesty. ^^

tuffy

Well... it didn't last more than your standard Seregios :/ cool looking though.

Is the apex status a bigger inconvenience in G rank? Kinda expected the time of my life today instead of a 10 minutes fight in all honesty. ^^
The Caravan one is basically a "My First Apex Monster" hunt designed as a Drive Wystone tutorial. The G rank Guild one hits harder, of course, but he's still not especially difficult so long as the team can knock him out of Apex status regularly.

Mupod

hah, I'm mostly playing bloodborne now but when I get the chance I sneak in a quest or two. I did some charm mining and got a +8 evasion 2 slot charm that was just enough to upgrade the evasion+2 on my tigrex HBG set to +3.

Probably gonna play again on the weekend. I dunno if I want to bother lugging my PS4 to my parents' place.

co1onel

Been messing around with evasion+3 on the lance a lot. Its hilarious sometimes how invincible you feel. My teammates were pinging for teostra's supernova. I just kept attacking, then when it went up in the air to blow I did a couple of sidesteps and went back to attacking like it was nothing.

Pila

The Caravan one is basically a "My First Apex Monster" hunt designed as a Drive Wystone tutorial. The G rank Guild one hits harder, of course, but he's still not especially difficult so long as the team can knock him out of Apex status regularly.

Roger, thanks tuffy!

Mupod

unless you join a room that is 3 people with no Drive wystone. Which is disturbingly common.

redcrayon

I really think they should have some sort of exam quest for future installations. At the very least, something that requires a specific skill to be activated before you can accept the quest, because it's evident that a lot of players just skip text and ignore the explanation of the mechanics. Something like a safe volcano powderstone quest where cold drinks and palicoes aren't allowed, and you must skill up Heat Res to make it through successfully. Bonus Caravan Points for skilling in Transporter.
I agree, but to be honest, it seems like interest in fishing, delivering eggs, powderstones, small monsters etc is incredibly low compared to fighting big monsters, which is why people play the game. All that stuff is there for pacing (just like the sunsnug isle minigames) but I wonder if there's a way to tie them into a main hunt online more.

I'd love to see a fishing quest out on a lake where the players are on a boat, having a few drinks, fishing for goldenfish, but the objective changes two minutes in as a monster attacks. You can choose to either deliver the fish (finish via subquest) or step up to the new conditions and kill the beastie. An intriguing quest title is all you need to give as a hint, make it fun and hunters will try it once word of mouth spreads.

Or, on an eggstraction, if you can put the egg down and defend it, or maybe the monster's priority is to regain it and return it to the nest. Or if other players could reliably draw the monster's attention somehow, making the eggstraction the point of the mission, not 'the boring bit at the end of a normal hunt'. Perhaps there is a wagon you place the egg on in area 1, and you have to protect it for five minutes as it leaves the area, with it taking damage like a dragonship.

Maybe monster's prefer not to directly attack you when you are carrying the egg, for fear of breaking it, and they try to block your escape, forcing you to try other routes, but still faster than just killing the monster first. There's all kinds of things they could do to make interesting scenarios, especially as the current one has so little appeal.

How about a survival mission, where the players have to defend a stranded dragonship against a constant stream of large monsters for a few minutes until another one turns up and they can use it's artillery. Or carry the wounded hunters off the map.

There's so much of this extra, 'tutorial' stuff they could do as quests, they just need to make it more engaging by understanding what players want online as opposed to SP, as currently it's seen as busywork due to it offering no advantage in the long game of crafting your equipment or raising HR. I think pacing and variety is great in such a long game, but there needs to be some reason to engage in the slightly different missions. If people really find delivery missions so tedious, maybe they could just be scrapped entirely and replaced with alternatives that both teach and engage the players more instead, through a mix of more exciting missions and better rewards.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
unless you join a room that is 3 people with no Drive wystone. Which is disturbingly common.
Hey those were fun times in the early days when nobody had a drive wystone, bouncing off Apex Seregios until we knocked it out from sheer force.

deim0s

They could incorporate the wystone requirement on some quests, it would force some people who skipped offline caravan.

Pila

Or, on an eggstraction, if you can put the egg down and defend it, or maybe the monster's priority is to regain it and return it to the nest. Or if other players could reliably draw the monster's attention somehow, making the eggstraction the point of the mission, not 'the boring bit at the end of a normal hunt'. Perhaps there is a wagon you place the egg on in area 1, and you have to protect it for five minutes as it leaves the area, with it taking damage like a dragonship.

Maybe monster's prefer not to directly attack you when you are carrying the egg, for fear of breaking it, and they try to block your escape, forcing you to try other routes, but still faster than just killing the monster first. There's all kinds of things they could do to make interesting scenarios, especially as the current one has so little appeal.

I really like this. Stealing eggs from these beasts is a cool idea but atm it's just poor done, this would be way better.

redcrayon

They could incorporate the wystone requirement on some quests, it would force some people who skipped offline caravan.
I don't think players should be forced to play 50 hours offline if they don't want to, though, if that's what you meant. Maybe players could 'rent' a poor-quality wystone for those quests, at a high price, obviously, with a hint that a better one is available offline.

Really you want players to want to explore the whole game, not feel like they are forced to or crippled if they don't. It really annoys me when the reverse happens and I'm severely hampered by not being able (or wanting) to pour my time into the online portions of a game. Seeing as Apex beasts play a bigger part online than offline, it seems strange that online-only G-rank players have zero access to the Wyceum unless they've poured dozens of hours into SP too.

I spend my time mostly offline, but I do understand people who just want to hunt online with their mates. It seems a bit odd to then cripple them at G3 rank after dozens of hours of play if they haven't reached Caravan 10 offline.

redcrayon

I really like this. Stealing eggs from these beasts is a cool idea but atm it's just poor done, this would be way better.
I think the wagon idea would at least make the mission have an exciting climax and build to a memorable ending. Putting something in a box next to your bed is pretty boring in a game about jumping off cliffs and killing dragons the size of a house.

Airan

All these new mission ideas are cool, but I was talking about devising a solution that bluntly explains to the player that the skill point system does not work like other games. If the player bothered to pay attention to the dialogue then they would know it's as simple as crafting some gems and slotting them, which would allow them to accept the urgent quest. Otherwise, there's would be a slew of quests which you can farm to gain an armor set, where each piece gives +2 to the skill.

The type of quest doesn't matter, I'm more interested in how to beat the idea into their head before they get carried into G-rank and cart multiple times to the chagrin of others. They think that they're hot shit with two dozen skills on the table but in reality the skills aren't even activated. It could be as basic as a 5 slot skill, such as tremor res (hunt a constantly stomping Jho).

tuffy

All these new mission ideas are cool, but I was talking about devising a solution that bluntly explains to the player that the skill point system does not work like other games.
Even something like a little animated progress bar showing the skill points moving up and down as one equips a decoration/armor piece - accompanied by a happy little chime when a skill activates - might make the system more obvious.

Of course, some people just want to mess around, play Fashion Hunter, and still won't care - which is okay too. But overhauling the UI might make it a lot easier to understand how skills work for those that are interested.

Shengar

Even something like a little animated progress bar showing the skill points moving up and down as one equips a decoration/armor piece - accompanied by a happy little chime when a skill activates - might make the system more obvious.

Of course, some people just want to mess around, play Fashion Hunter, and still won't care - which is okay too. But overhauling the UI might make it a lot easier to understand how skills work for those that are interested.
I think most people who play fashion hinter more likely to wear full set than a mixed one.

tuffy

I think most people who play fashion hinter more likely to wear full set than a mixed one.
Sometimes players just find they have the materials to craft a really cool hat and go for it. That's how my nephew threw together sets in 3 Ultimate.

But I think the best we can hope for is that the game shows new players how skills work in a little better in the future. It still can't make them care about skills if they're not interested.

Shengar

Sometimes players just find they have the materials to craft a really cool hat and go for it. That's how my nephew threw together sets in 3 Ultimate.

But I think the best we can hope for is that the game shows new players how skills work in a little better in the future. It still can't make them care about skills if they're not interested.

I actually see that happened in 3U too, mixed sets that looks well together but doesn't activate any skill. Like what you suggested, a slight change in UI could improved the accessibility of the game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is there an online high rank crimson fatalis? I think the HR7 fatalis quest is black fatalis.

I really need 2 more regular bloodwings and HOLY SHIT THEY ARE A PAIN TO BREAK solo.

I'd need to build a gunner set or something to reliably break those because with the GS it's suffering. The only way I've been able to do it is by spamming jump attacks on the wings, assuming I can get it to destroy the ground and stand in the center of it.

Demoli

Is there an online high rank crimson fatalis? I think the HR7 fatalis quest is black fatalis.

I really need 2 more regular bloodwings and HOLY SHIT THEY ARE A PAIN TO BREAK solo.

I'd need to build a gunner set or something to reliably break those because with the GS it's suffering. The only way I've been able to do it is by spamming jump attacks on the wings, assuming I can get it to destroy the ground and stand in the center of it.

There is a G rank C fatty, but not a high rank as far as i know. Maybe whene vent quests come out?

I have a Blue Kut Ku G rank lobby up btw, anyone care to join?

ID: 10-1190-2703-3029

tuffy

Not yet. Kiranico lists a 7 star event Crimson Fatalis which would be high rank, but who knows when that'll arrive.

He's not a hard monster to gun and you should be able to tank his hits using a G rank suit with lots of flame resistance even if you're just getting started. But I can understand it'd be a pain picking up a whole new weapon just to farm a couple of parts.

Shengar

Using IG I break them pretty constantly as I hit its wing while try to build up mount status.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Not yet. Kiranico lists a 7 star event Crimson Fatalis which would be high rank, but who knows when that'll arrive.

He's not a hard monster to gun and you should be able to tank his hits using a G rank suit with lots of flame resistance even if you're just getting started. But I can understand it'd be a pain picking up a whole new weapon just to farm a couple of parts.

Ughhh I had a feeling there was no online Crimson Fatalis quest, getting hit isn't really the issue, I totally obliterate C.fatalis in about 10 minutes with the s.zin GS. But going for the wings usually drags the fight out to about 25 minutes. It's really enraging. I can make the seregios LBG but I have no gunner set so that's an issue already.

Using IG I break them pretty constantly as I hit its wing while try to build up mount status.

Yeah I'll try out my IG but it's been neglected for so long so I'll have to upgrade it a bit.

tuffy

Ughhh I had a feeling there was no online Crimson Fatalis quest, getting hit isn't really the issue, I totally obliterate C.fatalis in about 10 minutes with the s.zin GS. But going for the wings usually drags the fight out to about 25 minutes. It's really enraging. I can make the seregios LBG but I have no gunner set so that's an issue already.
For what it's worth, I was planning to farm some Rajang parts to make the Grand Amagi set, but the 10 star Caravan one doesn't leave any room for error when gunning him. So I was thinking of just forging a Great Sword set and trying to stunlock him to death with it.

Top Bottom