• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

What's the best way to make money? I made a nerscylla Z armor, and some new weapons and now I'm broke. The sad thing is, I am not really happy with this gear, but now I have to cope with it. Is selling akantor parts the fastest way?

Card Boy

Banned
What's the best way to make money? I made a nerscylla Z armor, and some new weapons and now I'm broke. The sad thing is, I am not really happy with this gear, but now I have to cope with it. Is selling akantor parts the fastest way?

Sell any ores you don't need. Just Dragonite alone is like 500z a piece.

Pila

In 3U my fav way was farming nulberries at the farm and selling them, maybe we have a fastest way this time but I guess that nulberries farming still does the trick?

I'm not a fan of selling ores, I always end up needing them back and regretting my choices. (.___. )

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Thanks for sticking around Sheng, we can do HR to hopefully find some crown sizes another time if you're interested.

Shengar

Thanks for sticking around Sheng, we can do HR to hopefully find some crown sizes another time if you're interested.

No problem, got Immenseness Ticket S more than I need and the last Dahren give a Dragonspire.
We should do the giant Velocidrom-small Jho later on for the Jho small gold crown.

Tom_Cody

How the hell am I still missing 6* quests when I'm at 10* (offline) and have cleared everything else up to 7*?

IIRC you can't unlock certain 6* caravan quests until you hit a certain HR in Gathering Hall, up to HR7. Then it's just a matter of talking to the quest givers.
This. I'm at the end of HR offline and I haven't unlocked those 6-star missions through online either. There are also food items/upgrades to be unlocked in the online hall as well.

^ and on a similar note, which is better for a gunner: Evade Extender or Evade +1/2/3...?

Also are Frenzy Shards/Crystals just for selling?

I feel there are merits to both evade+ and evade extender. They both can accomplish the same thing, just from a different angle.

I may feel evade+ is a little better however as some monsters have charges/sweeps that are hard to get out of even with evade extender.

The frenzy crystals are for the melding pot. You can find a guide on how to use it here.

Airan

IMO, Evade Extender is a luxury for LBG - your sheath time is probably the fastest next to SnS and DB and you move around quickly while the gun is drawn anyway.

3hours trying to break free rajang a horns. Awesome.
Edit- holy shit after four hours I finally break horns for one horn. Now need one more. Fuck this piece of shit

Leezard

^ and on a similar note, which is better for a gunner: Evade Extender or Evade +1/2/3...?

Evade extender is ace in most cases, +1 etc is great for dodging through gravios lasers. I prefer extender in most cases as I can get completely outside of a monster charge range with a single dodge.

PKrockin

For HBG I'd definitely say Evade Extender. Besides dodging it really helps stay in optimal Pierce shot distance. Its sheathe, unsheathe, and walk speed are garbage tier so you have to rely mostly on rolls to move around. The LBG and Bow are much more mobile so I could see an argument for Evasion+.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Picked up gunning for the first time over the weekend (love it!) and think I'm going to main the HBG alongside DB's from now on.

After relying on strict timing for evading using Demon Dashes galore, having Evade Extender to just get out of the way and clear some distance sounds heavenly.
Gunning itself is so at odds with the way I play that I'm finding the whole thing a bit of a relief actually.
Evade+ sounds great for Dual Blades though which is something I'd never considered before...

I just made the Archer set with Extender and a S.Zino set with Evade+, I'll have a play around now :)

upandaway

Definitely Constitution for evade lancing (or any lancing), mega dash juice isn't really economic.

Although if you have Evade +3 arguably you don't need any other defensive skill

Shengar

Damnit, trying a new gunner set on Monoblos and its clearly worse than my Diablos Z. My thunder s run out before it could die while with my Diablos Z, even when I'm using frost s, there is a leftover when it dies. I want to have something beside Diablos Z/Vayu Sedition, but as far I am seeing it, there isn't any better alternative yet. The innate skill and the slot numbers are just too good.

Shengar

EDIT: Monoblos stunlocked, and so does HR Shagaru during the last few second somehow. Think I found my new gunner set for HBG.
Need some help with my HR6 Urgent (S. Magala). Anyone want to join?

66-9199-7157-5473

EDIT: Full

Sorry can't help your further. My connection being shaky that I keep being hit and miss from hitting.

Damnit, trying a new gunner set on Monoblos and its clearly worse than my Diablos Z. My thunder s run out before it could die while with my Diablos Z, even when I'm using frost s, there is a leftover when it dies. I want to have something beside Diablos Z/Vayu Sedition, but as far I am seeing it, there isn't any better alternative yet. The innate skill and the slot numbers are just too good.

To be honest, I've had the best luck tackling Monoblos with Pierce, Normal 2s, and crag, not elemental.
Light Bowguns of choice would be Serulean Firebath (or another in that line) for Normal 2s and Crag, or one from the Magala line with Normal 2s and Pierce 2, or an easy LBG - the Blue Burst, for Normal 2, Pierce 2, and Pellet 2 (assuming you're alone).

I don't have much issue with Monoblos with those weapons. I'm using a mixed Hermitaur Z set, for what it's worth.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
EDIT: Monoblos stunlocked, and so does HR Shagaru during the last few second somehow. Think I found my new gunner set for HBG.

Sorry can't help your further. My connection being shaky that I keep being hit and miss from hitting.

That's fine, all I really wanted was to get to HR7, and I'm there now. Thanks a lot though! :D

Although, looking at it, I think I may want to farm up the Storge S set. It looks pretty good...

My light bowgun friends - do any of you have experience with rapid fire Dragon or Blast? Not many guns have it, but it looks like it could be a fun weapon with the right team or against the right monster.

Shengar

Since I haven't fought him yet, would a Rajang be a total pain if I'm using a Great Sword?
Considering how it can't stop moving and every opening have very big risk that it might get you oneshotted, I think Rajang would be paon in the ass for GS user, if solo it at least. With decent group that bring traps, GS is great though.
To be honest, I've had the best luck tackling Monoblos with Pierce, Normal 2s, and crag.
Light Bowguns of choice would be Serulean Firebath (or another in that line) for Normal 2s and Crag, or one from the Magala line with Normal 2s and Pierce 2, or an easy LBG - the Blue Burst, for Normal 2, Pierce 2, and Pellet 2 (assuming you're alone).

I don't have much issue with Monoblos with those weapons. I'm using a mixed Hermitaur Z set, for what it's worth.

It is not about the Monoblos. I'm just using for weapon test since it's managable and the only monster that I keep track of its quest time. I'm testing a general elemental set, Rath Soul Z with Elemental Attack Up. I reckon it might do better against enemy who weak to their respective elemental weakness, but it turned that's not true. Either the Elemental Attack Up isn't good enough, or my aiming is shit, or perhaps both. But again, my Diablos Z have Unscathed and Weakness Exploit, both that I don't have with Rath Soul Z and they could make tremendous difference.

Anyhow, can someone teach me about pierce? With Ruthlessness/Weakness Exploit skill, which should I aim for?

Valus

Since I haven't fought him yet, would a Rajang be a total pain if I'm using a Great Sword?

If you're good at GS sniping then no, not really. Boring is more like it because all you can really do is snipe, roll, sheath and repeat. He moves around too much, like Kirin. Watch out for his arms when they turn red - you tend to bounce off them.

tuffy

My light bowgun friends - do any of you have experience with rapid fire Dragon or Blast? Not many guns have it, but it looks like it could be a fun weapon with the right team or against the right monster.
Dragon shot can be devastating in groups. But since you can only carry 3 and combine for 10 more, it's not very practical as a primary shot.

Blast shot might be okay if you're with a lot of other blast users, but (again) ammo supply is so limited that you're probably better off just firing crag and clust directly instead of building up to a barrel bomb's worth of damage with multiple shots.
Anyhow, can someone teach me about pierce? With Ruthlessness/Weakness Exploit skill, which should I aim for?
The general idea is to use higher levels of pierce shot on larger, or longer, monsters. Pierce 1 damages up to 3 hitzones, pierce 2 damages up to 4, and pierce 3 damages up to 5. Pierce 1 does the most damage per hitzone and pierce 3 the least, but pierce 3 does the most damage overall if it goes through all the hitzones.

Pierce shot doesn't make great use of Weakness Exploit since the weakest hitzones aren't usually in a convenient line. But it is the most potent shot type for big targets when used correctly.

Considering how it can't stop moving and every opening have very big risk that it might get you oneshotted, I think Rajang would be paon in the ass for GS user, if solo it at least. With decent group that bring traps, GS is great though.

If you're good at GS sniping then no, not really. Boring is more like it because all you can really do is snipe, roll, sheath and repeat. He moves around too much, like Kirin. Watch out for his arms when they turn red - you tend to bounce off them.

Thanks for the tips. But yeah, I think he's going to be a total bitch. I may have someone with me, but it's basically going to be GS and Bow usage... and I have a feeling it will turn to complete shit. Also, fuck Kirin, I hate how small and hoppy he is. Essentially I need 2 Rajang Fang+'s so I can make the next Khezu shock sword.

It is not about the Monoblos. I'm just using for weapon test since it's managable and the only monster that I keep track of its quest time. I'm testing a general elemental set, Rath Soul Z with Elemental Attack Up. I reckon it might do better against enemy who weak to their respective elemental weakness, but it turned that's not true. Either the Elemental Attack Up isn't good enough, or my aiming is shit, or perhaps both. But again, my Diablos Z have Unscathed and Weakness Exploit, both that I don't have with Rath Soul Z and they could make tremendous difference.

Gotcha. I don't have too much experience with Elemental Attack Up, but I could see it being useful if you want it on a general purpose armor.

As far as Pierce goes, Tuffy said most of the good stuff. Pierce is the best on big, big monsters or long-narrow monsters.
Often times on really large monsters (Akantor, Mohran, etc), some of their weakest points are the most hard to hit or even impossible. I'm thinking things like a belly when the belly isn't showing. That's where Pierce really shines - you can get through the outer shell to hit the really weak spots.
For some monsters, Pierce can be good as long as you position yourself correctly. For a monster like... Zinogre. If you shoot him from the side, you'll probably only hit him twice with a pierce shot making it mostly pointless. However, if you shoot him from the front or back, you can hit up to the max amount and do crazy damage. In that instance, if you're good at positioning, you can just melt an enemy.

Another note - Pierce is great with Attack Up or Expert, since you want each hit to do a ton of damage. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that each pierce hit has its own separate crit chance. So if you use Pierce 3 and hit a monster 5 times and you have 40 affinity, all five of those hits have a 40% chance of doing bonus damage.

Faiz

Hitting a wall with Tidal Najarala. Can't seem to find many good openings and nearly every hit is a strong one.

Maybe it's time to make some actual G rank armor...

Shengar

The general idea is to use higher levels of pierce shot on larger, or longer, monsters. Pierce 1 damages up to 3 hitzones, pierce 2 damages up to 4, and pierce 3 damages up to 5. Pierce 1 does the most damage per hitzone and pierce 3 the least, but pierce 3 does the most damage overall if it goes through all the hitzones.

Pierce shot doesn't make great use of Weakness Exploit since the weakest hitzones aren't usually in a convenient line. But it is the most potent shot type for big targets when used correctly.

Ah, I see so that's how it is. No wonder that Shagaru Magala start being stunlocked when I changed my Pierce 3 to Pierce 2. I reckon it'll be faster if I'm using Pierce 1 from the start since Shagaru isn't really a big monster.

More about Weakness Exploit and Pierce shot, does the skill only activate on the landing hit? I mean, lets say I shot Monoblos head from the front with Pierce. It'll be travel through the neck which is its weak point. Does the damage on the neck increased by Weakness Exploit or no?

tuffy

More about Weakness Exploit and Pierce shot, does the skill only activate on the landing hit? I mean, lets say I shot Monoblos head from the front with Pierce. It'll be travel through the neck which is its weak point. Does the damage on the neck increased by Weakness Exploit or no?
I believe it would only activate on the weak hitzone. So although it would do more damage to his neck, it may not make a big difference because the damage per hitzone isn't very large with pierce. That's why Weakness Exploits pairs with normal shot better because all its damage goes to the one spot you hit.

But Monoblos is a pretty long target and I've had good luck putting pierce shot down his face, up his tail or across his wings just like with Diablos.

Anyone have Charge Blade armor suggestions that aren't Tetsucabra or Velociprey?

I want to look cool and also at least get some benefit from my armor :(

Shengar

I believe it would only activate on the weak hitzone. So although it would do more damage to his neck, it may not make a big difference because the damage per hitzone isn't very large with pierce. That's why Weakness Exploits pairs with normal shot better because all its damage goes to the one spot you hit.

But Monoblos is a pretty long target and I've had good luck putting pierce shot down his face, up his tail or across his wings just like with Diablos.

Damn that sucks :/
I thought Jhen Mohran G Rank gunner armor is better than it's half-hearted blademaster counterpart, but then it's not too far off after all.

Anyone have Charge Blade armor suggestions that aren't Tetsucabra or Velociprey?

I want to look cool and also at least get some benefit from my armor :(

Rath Soul armor is a cool looking armor that almost work with all weapon.

Iryx

Just got done farming Rustshards for that award, it took probably 7 or 8 hours and was incredibly boring. Just a heads up for anyone else who decides to farm for it, you apparently also need to have all or most of the regular 1-rarity trash weapons sent to your box, and not just the 5 main rusted weapons.

tuffy

Damn that sucks :/
I thought Jhen Mohran G Rank gunner armor is better than it's half-hearted blademaster counterpart, but then it's not too far off after all.
Grand Mutsu/Amagi with Kaiser X guards is still great gunner armor for pierce shot since it has Pierce Up and Recoil Down +1 in one convenient package (since Pierce Up decorations have negative Recoil Down points) and Brutality's 15% affinity boost is exactly enough to counteract the Destiny's Arm's -15% affinity (since people don't like to see negative crits). The Weakness Exploit part of it is just a nice extra.

I'd love that set for myself, but I don't have a good enough charm to get both Evade Extender and Challenger +2 on it. So I may have to do some charm runs and widen my options a little.

upandaway

Anyone wanna come in and do some miscellaneous LR/beginning HR quests?

69-4797-7208-9953
Pass: 1111

Just wanna clean some quests out and get to where I am in caravan

deim0s

Go to town with him with the GS. You'll have a lot of opportunities to crit draw on him (mostly on the hind legs). A level 3 charge is doable when he is doing his beams. Bring some traps if your want to break the horns easily or snipe the face after the beam and roll away quick.

Draw crit, focus is necessary... Evade, quick sheathe, tremor resist are nice to have.

Shengar

His armor may be "meh" for gunners, but his guns are sure awesome. His HBG is beastly good.

Not Dah'ren, but Jhen, its bigger, cooler cousin from MH3U.
The set gives you Recoil+2, Pierce Up, inactive Ruthlessness that is two point short, and a negative Reloading-1. I thought Ruthlessness will work well Pierce shot, but it isn't :/

Grand Mutsu/Amagi with Kaiser X guards is still great gunner armor for pierce shot since it has Pierce Up and Recoil Down +1 in one convenient package (since Pierce Up decorations have negative Recoil Down points) and Brutality's 15% affinity boost is exactly enough to counteract the Destiny's Arm's -15% affinity (since people don't like to see negative crits). The Weakness Exploit part of it is just a nice extra.

I'd love that set for myself, but I don't have a good enough charm to get both Evade Extender and Challenger +2 on it. So I may have to do some charm runs and widen my options a little.

I use charm to activate Brutality, so I used away all of my slots for Evade Extender. Really need a better EvadeDist charm it seems.

Go to town with him with the GS. You'll have a lot of opportunities to crit draw on him (mostly on the hind legs). A level 3 charge is doable when he is doing his beams. Bring some traps if your want to break the horns easily or snipe the face after the beam and roll away quick.

Draw crit, focus is necessary... Evade, quick sheathe, tremor resist are nice to have.

Yeah, I'm no where near that far into the game to get quick sheathe easily. I'm currently in HR5 and Caravan 4, what would be the best way to get quick sheathe? Also, I'm running with a full set of High Velociprey Armor.

Dreavus

I need to get back to the gathering hall. I'm still mulling around in HR3, but I'm at like 10 star in the Caravan (just met
His Immenseness
for the first time). I don't want to trivialize the online stuff too badly.

Top Bottom