• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been fine up until now. It just feels like there is something wrong with my load-outs at this current moment. If my defense were 10%-20% better I would be fine with the monsters I'm up against. I get hit very infrequently, its just that the current balance of monster offense versus my defense puts me into a crisis situation (the healing death cycle I described in a prior post) after a single hit.

Bow is awesome, man. That was my main weapon in MH3U, and it carried me into G Rank before I put the game down. A good bow user is priceless online.
Clear times were always my problem with using a bow. in general, I'd clear a little quicker with pretty much every other weapon I was using.

tuffy

I just checked the stats and it looks like it will simply be a trade off of elemental protection versus raw defense, which will be greatly beneficial to me in this situation. The skill points are exactly the same.

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/najarala-cap-s
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/najarala-helm-s

Is there any downside? This is the first I've heard that caps/helms are interchangeable.
The skill points of the whole set are the same, but notice the helm has one less point in Hearing but one more point in Paralysis. So you may need to gem it a little differently and the elemental resistance is different by some negligible amount, but those are the only downsides in this instance.

Tom_Cody

Bow is awesome, man. That was my main weapon in MH3U, and it carried me into G Rank before I put the game down. A good bow user is priceless online.
Clear times were always my problem with using a bow. in general, I'd clear a little quicker with pretty much every other weapon I was using.
I experimented with a bunch of weapons in the demo and the bow just struck the right cord with me for whatever reason. I will probably spend time with other weapons before my time with the title is done, but right now I'm not looking to get off this train.

Clear times are the one issue that me make me second guess my weapon choice. If I'm using a properly matched elemental bow, my clear times are usually 15-25 minutes. I can't even wrap my head around the notion of sub ten minute clear times (unless we're talking about equipment / monster rank mismatches).

The skill points of the whole set are the same, but notice the helm has one less point in Hearing but one more point in Paralysis. So you may need to gem it a little differently and the elemental resistance is different by some negligible amount, but those are the only downsides in this instance.
Cool. I'll need to keep this option in mind in the future then.

As it works out I have an open slot and an extra hearing gem so my skills should remain intact (I have hearing gemmed up to 15 for HG Earplugs).

I experimented with a bunch of weapons in the demo and the bow just struck the right cord with me for whatever reason. I will probably spend time with other weapons before my time with the title is done, but right now I'm not looking to get off this train.

Clear times are the one issue that me make me second guess my weapon choice. If I'm using a properly matched elemental bow, my clear times are usually 15-25 minutes. I can't even wrap my head around the notion of sub ten minute clear times (unless we're talking about equipment / monster rank mismatches).

Just want to make sure you've watched a good Bow guide as well. There are a lot of factors that play into clear times, such as shot type, critical distance, monster part weaknesses, etc.
The biggest one I've noticed to really impact my clear times is Critical Distance. If you can get good at that, you can really take a chunk out of your times. However, some shot types require you to be kind of close to get the best critical distance, which can put you in danger a bit against some monsters (ugh, tigrex).

upandaway

Um, excuse me sir blacksmith. I have to cut Gravios tail to make his pants? And it's a 12% drop from the tail? Are you sure about this.

...I guess I'll manage without his pants (??) what the heck. What the hecky heck. I never got any rare scarabs from rewards either y'know what screw this. I won't make his legs either. Jerks. I'm upset.

tuffy

Um, excuse me sir blacksmith. I have to cut Gravios tail to make his pants? And it's a 12% drop from the tail? Are you sure about this.

...I guess I'll manage without his pants (??) what the heck. What the hecky heck. I never got any rare scarabs from rewards either y'know what screw this. I won't make his legs either. Jerks. I'm upset.
Gravios Medullas (whatever that is) show up in the quest rewards. I knew that there wasn't a chance in hell I'd get those tails off while bowgunning him, so I just kept at it until they showed up in the rewards box.

upandaway

Gravios Medullas (whatever that is) show up in the quest rewards. I knew that there wasn't a chance in hell I'd get those tails off while bowgunning him, so I just kept at it until they showed up in the rewards box.
Dude it's like 5%, don't do this to me

tuffy

Dude it's like 5%, don't do this to me
It's a 5% chance in the "A" rewards, and you get at least 3 of those. And a 5% chance in the "B" rewards, and you get at least 3 of those too. So that's 6 chances of that 5% item, which actually works out to over a 25% chance (1 - .95 ^ 6) of at least one Medulla per run. Unless I've got my math screwed up somewhere.

Tom_Cody

Just want to make sure you've watched a good Bow guide as well. There are a lot of factors that play into clear times, such as shot type, critical distance, monster part weaknesses, etc.
The biggest one I've noticed to really impact my clear times is Critical Distance. If you can get good at that, you can really take a chunk out of your times. However, some shot types require you to be kind of close to get the best critical distance, which can put you in danger a bit against some monsters (ugh, tigrex).
Regarding critical distance, in 4U the screen shakes a bit when you land from the right distance (my understanding is that this feature wasn't in past games in the series) so you can always tell when you are landing your shots correctly. I never land 100% of my shots from the right distance, but this clears up any mystery on the topic.

I've watched all of the bow tutorials videos I have come across and I'm solid on all of the fundamentals, though optimization is one of the reasons I love using the bow. Even once you've crafted/selected the right bow for the job, there's always room to make sure that a higher percentages of your arrows land at the weakest spots, land from the right distance, or even land at all (speaking of spread and pierce). The only general topic related to bows that I don't really understand is how pierce shot impacts are registered. My times with pierce shot bows are always terrible, even if they are properly paired and have great stats.

At this moment in the game my best bows are all spread shot, and I definitely had issues with HR Tigrex. The spread shot's range is kind of a moot point though since my biggest issue is cramped rooms. Given me a wide open room and I'll never get hit, even with a spread bow.

upandaway

Can you get Rath Soul armor yet? Because that's a great on any ranged fella and has decent defense, though no Defense Up skill. However, Azure Rath is its own challenge...
I mean dunno, it's all high rank anyway, I don't wanna get any deeper into the armor crafting when it's all going out the window when I hit G. One more Gravios hunt-a-thon is all I'll give this, worst case the 3 upper parts have enough slots with the Torso Up Velociprey legs that I can just use a mishmash of that.

Mupod

I just checked the stats and it looks like it will simply be a trade off of elemental protection versus raw defense, which will be greatly beneficial to me in this situation. The skill points are exactly the same.

Is there any downside? This is the first I've heard that caps/helms are interchangeable.

I've been fine up until now. It just feels like there is something wrong with my load-outs at this current moment. If my defense were 10%-20% better I would be fine with the monsters I'm up against. I get hit very infrequently, its just that the current balance of monster offense versus my defense puts me into a crisis situation (the healing death cycle I described in a prior post) after a single hit.

Helms are generally interchangeable yes, but it's not often that the skills are identical. Now if it's Narga armor or something where you're wearing it for evade skills then yeah it might be worth using the blademaster hat. I will admit to only using gunner hats for looks occasionally.

Armorcharm/armortalon are a substantial boost for gunners. Weapons with defense on them help too - the Najarala HBG for example. On monsters that I'm worried about one-shots, I eat for defense(L) and felyne moxie. But you will never be able to tank hits as a gunner - you're going to get hit once in a while so you just need to be able to deal with losing 2/3 of your bar. Try Mosswine Jerky - it recovers the red portion of your hp bar and for a gunner is as powerful as a mega potion. Cures Seregios bleeding too.

A simple fact of gunner life is that half the battle happens before you leave on the quest. If you're using the wrong items, ammo, coatings, or weapon then it could take you twice as long or worse. Proper armor skills can make a massive difference in clear times but then you need an armor set for each weapon. This makes them awkward to use in lower ranks because generally you're not spending a lot of time farming rather than doing keys and just pushing forward. You're not gonna make 3 different bows and sets between each urgent.

I'm not really a bow expert but this is why I stick to HBG versus LBG. It's a lot easier to make do with a general-purpose HBG, at most you need one for normal and one for pierce.

But the monsters I'm currently facing (HR Tigrex, Rathian, Seregios) are able to take 3/4 of my health on a single hit which makes fighting them a major nuisance. Even a single mistake results in dire consequences. In order to get back to a safe health zone I have to use two megapotions which means surviving the cycle of de-equipping my bow → healing → waiting for the animation to finish → healing again → waiting for the animation to finish again.

My normal flow of playing the game feels right as long as strong hits take only up to 40% of health, since then I can be confident that my palicoes will heal me before I take another hit. ~50% or greater damage changes everything.

I was really hoping for a better answer than 'git gud', unless this is simply what the rest of the game is going to feel like.

I learned early on to run to another zone to heal. It has made a huge difference in my survivability. Better to take an extra few seconds or even minutes than to cart.

deim0s

Love the gunner talk going around... Good tips and insights to the gunner life. Never used them much unless for funsies. Im going to start an alt with a lean to the guns.

Anyone have any suggestions on cool armors for a Charge Blade user that aren't Tetsucabra or Velociprey? I really don't like how either of them look and am getting really tired of seeing my character with those armors on...

I learned early on to run to another zone to heal. It has made a huge difference in my survivability. Better to take an extra few seconds or even minutes than to cart.

You can also use Felvine Bombs to use items safely too. Use a bomb, pop a Max Potion, Might Seed, Life Powder, etc. to shorten the animation and get the invincibility frames for getting hit by the bomb.

My friends and I tend to do this if we must absolutely heal, especially in Lv 140 Guild Quests.

Qurupeke

I wonder when people will understand that traps don't work in Elder dragons. I mean it was normal to see people using them in LR or HR but even in G Rank and Expert?

Hale-XF11

Bow is definitely awesome and just plain fun. Made it all the way to G3 (at HR 105 now) with nothing but bow the entire time (with 695 quests completed) and this is my first MH game.

upandaway

The crit distance shake was a huge buff to bow in my opinion, my biggest problem with bow was just being able to know if I'm playing well or not. Having that feedback makes getting better much easier.

Bows still suffer from DPS problems though, I honestly think the whole situation with the power coatings is a bit of a mess.

Hale-XF11

The crit distance shake was a huge buff to bow in my opinion, my biggest problem with bow was just being able to know if I'm playing well or not. Having that feedback makes getting better much easier.

Bows still suffer from DPS problems though, I honestly think the whole situation with the power coatings is a bit of a mess.

I definitely can't imagine using bow without that visual feedback. I rely on it every time I pick up a new bow and learn its critical distance. From there, I make sure I'm always at crit for every battle.

Curious what you mean though when you say it has DPS and power coating issues.

Tom_Cody

I've started to do this a bit (whereas I used to strictly avoid the practice). It's kind of situational though. If you are close to an exit, then great. But "running" to the exit usually requires sheathing your bow anyway (to gain the ability to run). There is no simple eject button with the bow. Healing leaves you vulnerable and, in a lot of situations, so does making a dash towards the exit.

Fleeing the area is just another option.

Hey, does anyone here have a LR Kirin Guild quest? My brother needs one for the parts and he's getting annoyed of all the dromes and Kut-Ku the game is giving him instead.

I wonder when people will understand that traps don't work in Elder dragons. I mean it was normal to see people using them in LR or HR but even in G Rank and Expert?

I once placed an EZ trap I just picked up against Teostra, people were freaking out pinging like crazy lol

Qurupeke

Grand Mizuha armor complete! Now I need to find something to try it on.

I once placed an EZ trap I just picked up against Teostra, people were freaking out pinging like crazy lol

The worst thing isn't people pinging when you do something wrong. It's the culprit pinging trying to tell people not to hit the monster because he wants to capture it. I've been in a ping hell once, it's the worst.

Mzo

I think flash bombs work better on me than they do on monsters.

Unless you're taking a wyvern out of the sky I kind of hate them.

I think flash bombs work better on me than they do on monsters.

Unless you're taking a wyvern out of the sky I kind of hate them.

The worst is when the other 3 people all throw flashes at a charging Tigrex... its like 3 seconds of pure white and then pain as he hits you without you seeing it.

Tom_Cody

To follow up on the topic of Gunner defense in HR, I bought an Armorcharm after work and it actually made a decent difference. It push my defense from 193 → 205. I made another run at the duo of Rathians and I killed them fairly easily. The defensive boost definitely helped get me over the threshold of not falling into a crisis situation with every big hit.

Got full Death Stench after finally farming the needed GQs:

zlCfzTN1z6UypG4_yq

Now to just get the ones needed for Storge/Arc...

VICI0US

holy cow chameleos aint no joke. never fought him in the older games.

did the 10* caravan urgent and he just gave me my first triple cart in a longgg time.

didn't help that he stole all my max potions before my first death so I was stuck with only 100 HP afterwards.

came better prepared the second time (basically filled my inventory to the brim with healing items and healing item combines) and killed him without dying once.

Juraash

So I've spent some serious time with my most recent GS creation, which is the Gog one. I'm pretty stoked with the sleep status it has. Even in MP I can sleep a monster around 90% of the time. I mostly made it cause it looked really awesome and had higher raw than what I was using at the time.

I know it isn't the bread and butter choice and it's raw is lower than a few other options. All that said, the natural purple sharpness, respectable raw and the bonus of the sleep status has made it my favorite GS thus far. I like not having to sweat handicraft as well. I really feel like everything is starting to gel really well on my character and it's making the game even more fun.

Top Bottom