• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tuffy

The difference in defense between high rank and G rank armor is a lot wider than I expected. I was hoping to build a Fleet Feet set using the Sororal Vest, Sororal Leggings and a Torso Up waist piece. And since there isn't a regular G rank Deviljho hunting quest (WTF?), I thought I could get away with using a high rank Vangis Coat instead. But the defense is 20(!) points less when fully loaded with regular spheres. Gunner armor is squishy enough as it is, so there's no way I can justify that.

I wound up substituting a much easier Torso Up leg piece from Tetsucabra and I'll farm a Contrary Scale later to finish up the set.

Renewed

Ahhh, people didn't shake off all that tar because they're not realizing that if Gog is looking at you.... you shouldn't be there. But I have to say, landing the Demolisher while it's flying around is super satisfying. Gonna take a break from advancing and go help lower ranks.... breakfast first.

I don't suppose anyone is interested in doing quests to unlock trade parts? Otherwise I'll do those myself.

cheesekao

Ahhh, people didn't shake off all that tar because they're not realizing that if Gog is looking at you.... you shouldn't be there. But I have to say, landing the Demolisher while it's flying around is super satisfying. Gonna take a break from advancing and go help lower ranks.... breakfast first.

I don't suppose anyone is interested in doing quests to unlock trade parts? Otherwise I'll do those myself.
I'm down for anything that doesn't involve elder dragons or rajang.

Make a room?

Wanderer5

I don't think any of the early G rank sets are worth making when you get there. Final high rank armor has much better skills and only slightly lower defense. G1 quests are the kind of stuff you could fall asleep to, so its not hard to hold out till G2.

Tetsucabra Z is a nice bombardier alt, with a decent amount of slots, guard up, and hearing that can easily be upgraded to HG.

Uuuuggghhhh 15 hunts and still no B. Gravios Pallium. I just want to complete my armor set, dangit!

So, Capping is still the best option for it, right? Because it's a 2% on carves (with 4 carves) but a 3% from capping.

So I really want to try a new weapon, I'm currently maining SnS with some GS thrown in for variance. I love the speed and versatility of the SnS and the power of the GS but I want something fresh. Any tips? No gunner as I don't want to invest in a new armor set right now.

I've been rocking dual blades from the start and I love it. It plays closer to a "traditional" hack and slash than any other weapon in the game. I did all of the weapon tutorials and DB was the only one that clicked for me.

tuffy

Uuuuggghhhh 15 hunts and still no B. Gravios Pallium. I just want to complete my armor set, dangit!

So, Capping is still the best option for it, right? Because it's a 2% on carves (with 4 carves) but a 3% from capping.
Carves are better by a little bit - ~7.7% vs. ~5.9%. But if you can get the hunts done faster when capping, the time savings may make up for it.

Carves are better by a little bit - ~7.7% vs. ~5.9%. But if you can get the hunts done faster when capping, the time savings may make up for it.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it is nice for Gravios/Black Gravios to rush into room 9 and set a trap down right where he enters. Makes things much easier.

Pierate

Will be farming high rank Gold Rathian for a while if anyone interested: 15-6595-3743-0900

Need a whole bunch of rubies :(

Edit: Full for now

Yes! Just killed the 8* Khuzu in 27 minutes without karting. I used about 5 megapots though.

Thanks for your help everyone! I didn't reply to all but I saw all the advice. What really helped were the armor and power charms. I'll be taking those bad boys on every hunt from now on.

That feeling when you kill a monster you were stuck on...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tetsucabra Z is a nice bombardier alt, with a decent amount of slots, guard up, and hearing that can easily be upgraded to HG.

I used Tetsu Z for both my Gunlance and SnS in G1/G2. It has enough slots on it that I can get Artillery God, HGE, Guard Boost and Bombardier for the Gunlance and a whole mess of stuff I can put in for the SnS, like Trapmaster, Mind's Eye, Wide Range 2, etc.

Yes! Just killed the 8* Khuzu in 27 minutes without karting. I used about 5 megapots though.

Thanks for your help everyone! I didn't reply to all but I saw all the advice. What really helped were the armor and power charms. I'll be taking those bad boys on every hunt from now on.

That feeling when you kill a monster you were stuck on...

Congrats. Glad you didn't throw in the towel. Pots are cheap, I use them a ton. No shame in that.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Do they work every time?

They will build up a resistance to it, meaning the flash effect won't last quite as long. Basically, you want to use them to knock Los out of the sky and get free damage. The easiest tell for this is when Los is back to roar into rage. He'll always jump backwards into the air and launch a fire ball. That's when you toss a flash bomb. If you wait until he's tired, they'll last even longer. You don't have to / shouldn't spam them, just use them at key points when you know Los will be knocked out of the sky.

And depending on where you're fighting Los is one of the easier monsters to mount I've found. Just another way to buy more free hits, instead of having to chase him around as he flies every which way.

I'm down for stuff :eek:

Edit: So, i've been using this rathian C.Blade for a while now. Bronze crown, no upgrade of that in sight. The only other thing i can think to make is the daora and standard gore c.blade to sort of round out my elements. I'd -really- like to try another weapon though. I have the mats to make a maxed out Daora Glaive, a maxed Daora Spear( I killed him a lot :x ) and i think that's it. I used to use Dual blades mostly in 3U and recently tried them again and loved them, so i'm thinking M. Tigrex for those.

Any recommendations? Regios gun seems really cool, especially combined with evade+2/3, and i'm a big fan of hammers. Only weapons i'd have no idea how to use are the lances, the glaive and ranged weapons, but i can try and learn em.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Edit: So, i've been using this rathian C.Blade for a while now. Bronze crown, no upgrade of that in sight. The only other thing i can think to make is the daora and standard gore c.blade to sort of round out my elements. I'd -really- like to try another weapon though. I have the mats to make a maxed out Daora Glaive, a maxed Daora Spear( I killed him a lot :x ) and i think that's it. I used to use Dual blades mostly in 3U and recently tried them again and loved them, so i'm thinking M. Tigrex for those.

Any recommendations? Regios gun seems really cool, especially combined with evade+2/3, and i'm a big fan of hammers. Only weapons i'd have no idea how to use are the lances, the glaive and ranged weapons, but i can try and learn em.

Regios LBG is is really fun weapon, because you reload shots as you dodge. It's only a damage weapon though, as it shoots no status. But with Normal 2 / Slice Rapid, it's decent at what it does. I can cut tails myself on monsters like Gravios and Jho, while all the little Dual Blade / Long Sword hunters on my team flail away, unable to hit the tail while the monster is standing.

Salaadin

I was looking at Great Swords last night to try and up my damage before I really started taking on G rank.

Came across an 1100 raw dmg GS with some fire on it but I need Awakening to get that fire.

Aside from that, my best weapons are in the 800 to 912 range with varying elements.

When picking a weapon, should I always go with highest raw first? I try to always go with the monsters weaknesses but I've never really had a difference of 200 raw before.

I've been pretty vocal in the thread about this, but I'm really not a fan of the seregios gun. There are guns that have more damage and more rapid fire options with 8-9 clip sizes that are just better options. It's a fun weapon, sure, but there are better lbgs at rapid-firing normal shots (or slicing shots if that's what you're going for).

tuffy

The Seregios HBG is just a small step below the M.Tigrex HBG (15 less attack power, 5% less affinity) and it develops a decent normal lv. 2 clip size with the limiter removed. Its auto-reload feature works well against targets that bounce around all the time and offer few safe windows for a proper reload (like Kirin).

It may not be best suited for all situations, but it's easy to get a lot of Seregios parts to make it since so many urgent quests go through him.

Leezard

I've been pretty vocal in the thread about this, but I'm really not a fan of the seregios gun. There are guns that have more damage and more rapid fire options with 8-9 clip sizes that are just better options. It's a fun weapon, sure, but there are better lbgs at rapid-firing normal shots (or slicing shots if that's what you're going for).

I mostly agree with benny. The only time I use my seregios LBG is against Yian Garuga, since it's so fast. Everything else has another, better gun, to use.

Valus

I was looking at Great Swords last night to try and up my damage before I really started taking on G rank.

Came across an 1100 raw dmg GS with some fire on it but I need Awakening to get that fire.

Aside from that, my best weapons are in the 800 to 912 range with varying elements.

When picking a weapon, should I always go with highest raw first? I try to always go with the monsters weaknesses but I've never really had a difference of 200 raw before.

For greatswords, raw is king. Always has been, and probably always will be. As far as I understand it, a 1600 raw GS is no question better than a 1100 raw 500 fire GS when tackling an enemy weak to fire. Which is good in the sense that you can use a single GS (Cera Cymmetry should be your goal) against all monsters instead of having to bother crafting multiple weapons to the occassion. If that's what you prefer to do however, then GS probably isn't the right weapon for you.

microfolk

Anyone got some tips and tricks for a newbie lancer? I've began using one of my most neglected weapon in the last few days and I'm having a blast guard lancing but I'm having a really hard time adapting to such a different playstyle (I've mained GS, HH and CB before).
I fail to remain aggressive during the whole hunt and I think I use the counter far too much... Without considering fun stuffs like charging a counter when I see the monster charging at me and then hitting the air because when I make the counter hit the monster is already far behind me. Or being hit by a tail spin even though I'm guarding because the monster is too tall and so the tail hits me from behind (or at least I think this is the reason?)
So yeah, I'd love to hear how the guard lancer here like to play!

And I'd also love to know how to deal with Zinogre's electrified stomps when I'm using shieldless weapons, I don't know where to evade since if I roll towards the side opposite of its first stomp I get hit by the electricity of the second while I'm getting up. -_-

Leezard

Ouch, sorry people. I got stuck in Gog's goo laser twice despite my efforts to dodge it. Once inside it I get oneshot. Is there a better way to dodge it other than just hope he won't aim it exactly at where I am running/dodging? I was too far away to get close to him already.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeaaaaahhh, fuck you, Teostra. Got my shit wrecked first time, used all my potions, triple carted (with the last cart being what couldn't have been more than seconds from time up, which hurt). Second time, killed it in 24 minutes, only used three Mega Potions. Fuck yeah.

It really is bullshit when he knocks you down then does that nuclear blast roar right on top of you, though.

Ouch, sorry people. I got stuck in Gog's goo laser twice despite my efforts to dodge it. Once inside it I get oneshot. Is there a better way to dodge it other than just hope he won't aim it exactly at where I am running/dodging? I was too far away to get close to him already.

I wouldnt worry about what happened, we had an Ace Commander on the team remember?

Faiz

Was just clearing out a few G1 quests I skipped before doing the urgent and took the dual Lagombi quest.

They were hitting me like freaking trucks. It was bewildering. Butt slam for half my health? I know this is g rank but I have nearly 550 defense and these are lagombis for gods sake.

After I finished I realized I was wearing my Naja S set instead of my Naja X set. :/. Oops.

Mzo

You can combine them with Deviljho talons to make them even stronger. Then you can buy them again and carry around both versions of each if you really want to!

I don't do it, but they stack. Maybe I should... does anyone else?

Faiz

You can combine them with Deviljho talons to make them even stronger. Then you can buy them again and carry around both versions of each if you really want to!

Absolutely.

tuffy

I can't afford not to. Though between potions, drinks, ammo combines, combination books, dung bombs, and steaks, adding 4 charms/talons doesn't leave much room left in my inventory.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I always bring the talons and charms. The one exception I make is for power items on a few of my status gunner sets, where the space is required to make more ammo. But given how forgivable inventory space is in this game, there's almost no reason not to bring all four every time.

Standard set for blademaster: Mega Point x10, Dash Juice x2, Max Potion x2, Life Powder x3, Powercharm, Powertalon, Armorcharm, Armortalon, Paintball x3, Flash Bomb x5, Dung Bomb x10, Farcaster x1, Tranq Bomb x6, Pitfall Trap, Shock Trap, Barrel Bomb L+, Mega Pickaxe, Mega Bug Net, Whetstone. Leaves me with 5 empty slots on the main three pages, so I can also slot in drinks, Dust of Life, and whatever else I may want. Obviously I can drop gathering tools and useless traps depending on the fight, but this is my standard.

I've finally gotten into High rank caravan quests, but I'll continue that another time.

It's now time to continue with my HR quests. Anybody is welcomed. Just aiming to have fun with hunting.

44-3713-9382-4756

Pass: 1001

I always bring the talons and charms. The one exception I make is for power items on a few of my status gunner sets, where the space is required to make more ammo. But given how forgivable inventory space is in this game, there's almost no reason not to bring all four every time.

Standard set for blademaster: Mega Point x10, Dash Juice x2, Max Potion x2, Life Powder x3, Powercharm, Powertalon, Armorcharm, Armortalon, Paintball x3, Flash Bomb x5, Dung Bomb x10, Farcaster x1, Tranq Bomb x6, Pitfall Trap, Shock Trap, Barrel Bomb L+, Mega Pickaxe, Mega Bug Net, Whetstone. Leaves me with 5 empty slots on the main three pages, so I can also slot in drinks, Dust of Life, and whatever else I may want. Obviously I can drop gathering tools and useless traps depending on the fight, but this is my standard.

Dash Juice? You must have a ton of extract or frenzy shards.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dash Juice? You must have a ton of extract or frenzy shards.

Only Dash Juice (Catalyst+Rare Steak), not Mega Dash Juice which lasts for much longer. As you say, I simply don't have enough Dash Extract and don't care to farm it, so Dash Juice does the job. I don't even use it that often, but for long matches, or times when I need unlimited stamina for blocking, it really helps.

Top Bottom