• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

PrankT

Made an oroshi kirin 126+ room 15-8184-5130-7778 if anyone is interested. Would like at least three to attack this hopping maniac.

Pila

Quick hunting session yesterday, I tried my new ISP with randoms. It seems stable, never disconnected, randoms were good, reached HR7. It's good to finally have a decent online experience again, I'll arrange a GAF room next time, now that I have a proper connection.

Dunno if I wanna unlock these HR7 monsters in single player (you unlock them in Caravan6 right??) or just face them online. I also need to forge some new weapons, I've been lazy on the equipment upgrading...

I'm at HR7, and just kill Akantor on the second attempt. Man, that shit was glorious! Amazing fight. Down to last continue and managed to scrape up a win.

How's Akantor's Charge Blade? Any good? I see it has low sharpness color. Does this bode badly for it?

Fuck this Capture A Khezu quest. Also, I don't recall the game telling me I could only place 1 trap at a time. 45 minutes wasted.

Had mined an Armour Sphere+ and Mystery Charm as well :(

Finally beat master's test. Damn. Still the reward was a bit disappointing, I was expecting something better than that.
People expect you to farm Master's Test for Zenith Wyvern Gems and Gem Ls so you can hone your weapons.

As a SNS user I have 7~ weapons that need honing.. fml

deim0s

GunnerGAF:

I've started my alt (female redhead yes!) and going gunner-centric and of course a dab or two of GS/CB. I have really no experience using gunner weapons in all my years of Monster Hunting. Currently sporting the Tetsu S with SimpleShooter+ and reached Caravan3-4/HR3, so I'am looking for some tips.

What's the progression you guys took for LBGs? The Seregios LBG is one weapon to aim for when I get to it, any other "must have" LBGs? HBGs are too slow for me... (am getting hit a lot with them) but am open to it.

It's also starting to take some time to kill starting in HR3, averaging around 20+ mins, that normal or it's just that gunning is quite new to me?

Shengar

Anything, my suicide gq isn't fun right now.
Not sure I want to tackle both with only just two but I got thunderIG, we cpuld try.
GunnerGAF:

I've started my alt (female redhead yes!) and going gunner-centric and of course a dab or two of GS/CB. I have really no experience using gunner weapons in all my years of Monster Hunting. Currently sporting the Tetsu S with SimpleShooter+ and reached Caravan3-4/HR3, so I'am looking for some tips.

What's the progression you guys took for LBGs? The Seregios LBG is one weapon to aim for when I get to it, any other "must have" LBGs? HBGs are too slow for me... (am getting hit a lot with them) but am open to it.

It's also starting to take some time to kill starting in HR3, averaging around 20+ mins, that normal or it's just that gunning is quite new to me?
I think Daora's LBG is quite but I haven't found the right set for it.
EDIT: quite good I mean. Damn this afternoon drowsines.

upandaway

Tried village Pink Rathian and I got owned haha.

:(
Had this problem in 3U. I went in thinking it's just another Rathian, failed the quest 3 times.

It's really interesting because knowing how to hunt Pink Rathian actually has an effect on hunting Rathian better. Nowadays I play against Rathian the same way I do against Pink and it flows a lot better, less hits and faster times. They designed her really well.

Greatsword, Red Pincer.

And I just beat her on my second try. Didn't cart once, did use 9 Mega Potions and a load of Antidotes. That tail whip man. Luckily I was able to cut off her tail, so after that it became a bit easier.

GunnerGAF:

I'm actually not a huge fan of the Seregios LBG; a lot of times I'd rather have a larger clip and a faster reload. But give it a try and maybe it'll click for you.

In general, you'll want to have an LBG that rapid-fires each of the four main elements. You can build the Rathalos line (builds from the Cross Bowgun) for fire and the Ludroth line (trade Velocidrome parts at the Wyporium) for water early, but you'll have to wait a bit until you can farm Kirin, Zinogre, and Daora for thunder and ice.

As for kill times, are you shooting from critical distance? For normal shots, you should be about 1.5-2 rolls away and about 3-4 rolls away for pierce shots. You can tell if you're hitting at critical distance because you'll see a larger yellow flash when your shots connect and the screen will shake slightly.

deim0s

I think Daora's LBG is quite but I haven't found the right set for it.
EDIT: quite good I mean. Damn this afternoon drowsines.

In general, you'll want to have an LBG that rapid-fires each of the four main elements. You can build the Rathalos line (builds from the Cross Bowgun) for fire and the Ludroth line (trade Velocidrome parts at the Wyporium) for water early, but you'll have to wait a bit until you can farm Kirin, Zinogre, and Daora for thunder and ice.

As for kill times, are you shooting from critical distance? For normal shots, you should be about 1.5-2 rolls away and about 3-4 rolls away for pierce shots. You can tell if you're hitting at critical distance because you'll see a larger yellow flash when your shots connect and the screen will shake slightly.

Daora it is.

So element is that critical for LBG or Gunners in general? Any non-elemental focused type/general purpose guns that I should look out for (is there any that is good)? Guessing any 5++ clip on Normal/Pierce lv2/3s shots are good - gonna check some weapon lists.

Huh. I thought the screen shake as a feedback is enough... But thinking about it, I'm around averaging 3 or 4 rolls or more away from the monster using any ammo. Thanks for the reminder.

Leezard

Daora it is.

So element is that critical for LBG or Gunners in general? Any non-elemental focused type/general purpose guns that I should look out for (is there any that is good)? Guessing any 5++ clip on Normal/Pierce lv2/3s shots are good - gonna check some weapon lists.

Huh. I thought the screen shake as a feedback is enough... But thinking about it, I'm around averaging 3 or 4 rolls or more away from the monster using any ammo. Thanks for the reminder.
Rathalos line is good for non-elemental. You really want to use elemental if possible though. For ice lbg I must recommend the ukanlos lbg. It is amazing until you get the eldaora lbg, which is the best ice lbg. Ukanlos is better than the normal daora lbg since it has more raw at the cost of negative affinity, which does not affect elemental shots. The deviation you get isn't a big deal, but it deals tons if damage and many monsters in early G rank are weak to ice.

anyone willing to help me completing my G1 quests? It involves najarala, khezu and Pink rathians. And perhaps 1 or 2 I forgot.
I want to reach that golden tick.

Shengar

I'm actually not a huge fan of the Seregios LBG; a lot of times I'd rather have a larger clip and a faster reload. But give it a try and maybe it'll click for you.
Regios LBG don't need all of that. In my time using it, I rarely have to reload except when changing ammo or when the monster is being mounted. You could sidestepping and shoot all day. I know it'll be problem for the aiming if you don't use controller pad or cstick though.
Rathalos line is good for non-elemental. You really want to use elemental if possible though. For ice lbg I must recommend the ukanlos lbg. It is amazing until you get the eldaora lbg, which is the best ice lbg. Ukanlos is better than the normal daora lbg since it has more raw at the cost of negative affinity, which does not affect elemental shots. The deviation you get isn't a big deal, but it deals tons if damage and many monsters in early G rank are weak to ice.

What about the armor set though? The most confusing part for me is not choosing weapon but rather what armor set should I use for bow gunning. My guild card show that I used LBG for 140 times and I believe 90% of those are using Diablos Z set since I don't have any other alternative.

Leezard

Regios LBG don't need all of that. In my time using it, I rarely have to reload except when changing ammo or when the monster is being mounted. You could sidestepping and shoot all day. I know it'll be problem for the aiming if you don't use controller pad or cstick though.

What about the armor set though? The most confusing part for me is not choosing weapon but rather what armor set should I use for bow gunning. My guild card show that I used LBG for 140 times and I believe 90% of those are using Diablos Z set since I don't have any other alternative.
I like to use the following :
(whatever helm)
Sororal vest
(Whatever arms)
Torso up waist
Sororal leggings

With the helm/arm/charm, it is simple to get
Prudence
(any elem attack) +3
Evade +1
Bonus shot

Which is all you need as an elemental gunner. If you don't to get 5 different armor sets you could use the element up skill, but it will be suboptimal. This set does reuse 3 parts at least. If you don't have good enough elemental charms you might have to sacrifice evade +1 or go down to elem atk +2.

Shengar

I like to use the following :
(whatever helm)
Sororal vest
(Whatever arms)
Torso up waist
Sororal leggings

With the helm/arm/charm, it is simple to get
Prudence
(any elem attack) +3
Evade +1
Bonus shot

Which is all you need as an elemental gunner. If you don't to get 5 different armor sets you could use the element up skill, but it will be suboptimal. This set does reuse 3 parts at least. If you don't have good enough elemental charms you might have to sacrifice evade +1 or go down to elem atk +2.

I don't really want to resort to mixed set, but I guess I don't have much choice here.

Rawk Hawk

Got an online etiquette question. Just got to G1, took down Desert Seltas and Ash Kecha without issue, but really pushing to get to Seregios for his armor. Since it is the G1 urgent, would it be wrong to join rooms to fight him even if I'm not cleared for it myself? I assume if I'm not carting, which I don't think I would, I would be okay.. but didn't want to break any unwritten rules of the MH code.

The G1 key list just looks so long right now and that armor is so tempting...

Shengar

Got an online etiquette question. Just got to G1, took down Desert Seltas and Ash Kecha without issue, but really pushing to get to Seregios for his armor. Since it is the G1 urgent, would it be wrong to join rooms to fight him even if I'm not cleared for it myself? I assume if I'm not carting, which I don't think I would, I would be okay.. but didn't want to break any unwritten rules of the MH code.

That's what I did in MH3U: join an urgent room, help the host, then post mine later. This is always working in 3U, but I doubt it for the case of 4U.

tuffy

I don't really want to resort to mixed set, but I guess I don't have much choice here.
Full Sororal gives you Fleet Feet and Bonus Shot outright and you could gem in <Element> Atk +3 with a good enough charm (which seem pretty common). But I'd rather not farm Caravan Chameleos so much.
Nobody would mind at all. Folks sticking around to help out other people with their urgents seems to be more rare than it used to be, actually.

Shengar

Full Sororal gives you Fleet Feet and Bonus Shot outright and you could gem in <Element> Atk +3 with a good enough charm (which seem pretty common). But I'd rather not farm Caravan Chameleos so much.

Yeah, Chameleos is piss easy when you fight it with group but then it goes into whole new level when you try to solo it.

tuffy

Yeah, Chameleos is piss easy when you fight it with group but then it goes into whole new level when you try to solo it.
Which reminds me, if you go:
  • Sororal Vest
  • Storge Coat X
  • Torso Up leggings (like Tetsucabra X)
you can also get Fleet Feet using just one Sororal piece and then make up the rest using the head and arms pieces. Finding a good G rank Torso Up waist piece was a big pain, so this setup was a lot more manageable.

Leezard

You can get ace tickets from the shrouded Nerscylla quest in caravan too. You get one guaranteed ticket per run.

Vangis X is a good torso up waist.

redcrayon

Yeah, I agree with that. None of his attacks hit particularly hard, so when there's a group of you online, he's easy to pull down as nobody really gets monstered. The caravan 10* Chameleos I found quite tough to kill in the time limit, just because of the constant stream of poison smoke and the cats being useless at drawing his attention made it hard for me to really get a barrage of good combos in. Having him nick an ancient potion off me was annoying, too.

redcrayon

If you aren't carting and are actually helping to pile on the damage (rather than spending the whole battle healing because your defence is too low), then I say go for it. I hunt with people who are friendly and make for fun quests, not just those who are more powerful than me.

To be honest, everyone carts now and then, it's only if I cart in every hunt or twice in the same match that I wonder if I might be in a bit over my head.

tuffy

You can get ace tickets from the shrouded Nerscylla quest in caravan too. You get one guaranteed ticket per run.
Ah, that would be much easier. That one's not an advanced quest, either.
But how to find a G rank Deviljho hunting quest though? Doing "the Master's Test" for it would be annoying. So I'd expect one would have to track down a Guild Quest with him or hope he turns up as an intruder monster.

Shengar

Which reminds me, if you go:
  • Sororal Vest
  • Storge Coat X
  • Torso Up leggings (like Tetsucabra X)
you can also get Fleet Feet using just one Sororal piece and then make up the rest using the head and arms pieces. Finding a good G rank Torso Up waist piece was a big pain, so this setup was a lot more manageable.
The thing with Sororal leggings is that it have 3 slots. I'm not sure I want to replace such flexible room for gemming.

Phew, that's good to hear. Don't really want to solo Chameleos since I couldn't handle the pressure.

Also I've seen Vangis waist and it's indeed quite good. I think it could match well with sororal.
Ah, that would be much easier. That one's not an advanced quest, either.

But how to find a G rank Deviljho hunting quest though? Doing "the Master's Test" for it would be annoying. So I'd expect one would have to track down a Guild Quest with him or hope he turns up as an intruder monster.
I have two Grank Jho guild Quest
one with Seregios, one solo
If you want to farm it, just tell me.

Rawk Hawk

That's what I did in MH3U: join an urgent room, help the host, then post mine later. This is always working in 3U, but I doubt it for the case of 4U.

Nobody would mind at all. Folks sticking around to help out other people with their urgents seems to be more rare than it used to be, actually.

If you aren't carting and are actually helping to pile on the damage (rather than spending the whole battle healing because your defence is too low), then I say go for it. I hunt with people who are friendly and make for fun quests, not just those who are more powerful than me.

To be honest, everyone carts now and then, it's only if I cart in every hunt or twice in the same match that I wonder if I might be in a bit over my head.

Thanks, I kind of figured that would be the case. My defense right now is 545 with a talon and charm in my inventory. I haven't checked after eating though, I generally eat for Def Up L and Defender Hi. I assume that's average for G1? I can only upgrade with True Armor Spheres which I haven't seen yet, so hopefully that's enough to get me through Seregios for his armor.

Shengar

Thanks, I kind of figured that would be the case. My defense right now is 545 with a talon and charm in my inventory. I haven't checked after eating though, I generally eat for Def Up L and Defender Hi. I assume that's average for G1? I can only upgrade with True Armor Spheres which I haven't seen yet, so hopefully that's enough to get me through Seregios for his armor.

You'll be fine. I farm Seregios with Rath Soul set that only have 489 armor after talon and defense food and rarely faint.

Leezard

I put together a set with miraculous luck and sharpness +1 for farming simpler monsters the other day. Getting full quest rewards every single quest is nice.

tuffy

Also I've seen Vangis waist and it's indeed quite good. I think it could match well with sororal.

I have two Grank Jho guild Quest
one with Seregios, one solo
If you want to farm it, just tell me.
I've paired up high rank Vangis waist with the Sororal chest and leggings and it looks a lot like a Leather set. The G rank waist used to look the same, but I'm not sure if it still does.

I'm definitely interested in farming that solo G rank Jho. It'll be about 8 hours from now, though. Perhaps passing the quest back and forth would make farm-able for that Crook without ranking it up to some obscene difficulty.

So, last night was my first time playing with randoms. It went very well. Way better than I expected. Didn't advance any HR lvls though as I was helping some lower HR peeps most of the night.

redcrayon

Does anyone have any tips for fighting 10* Rajang (bad hair Rajang) as a lancer?

I have a defence of 700+ but am still getting annihilated and struggling to spot openings. He seems to move with three quick jumps that inflicts heavy damage, and covers a wide area. The combination of speed and strength, plus him being able to move across a whole area in the time it takes me to sheathe my weapon, is making him really tough for me.

What am I missing? Maybe dash juice so I can block more? I'm currently in Gog gear for crit. Eye+3 and awakening the fire element on my Lost Babel lance, and also have Guard Up and Protection. I could switch down to my Seregios gear for Constitution and Steady Hand, at a cost of defence and overall damage output though.

So, the only quest I have left (before unlocking more) in the Caravan is the White Monoblos.
That thing doesn't mess around. STOP MOVING SO I CAN SHOOT YOU.

Tom_Cody

As I've continued to progress the the game as an Archer, I am increasingly loving the bow.

I love that each bow line (well, mostly) serves a purpose. Matching the right shot style (rapid, pierce, or spread) with the right element for each hunt just feels awesome. It also gives a structure to my play as crafting/upgrading every bow is fun in and of itself.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
As I've continued to progress the the game as an Archer, I am increasingly loving the bow.

I love that each bow line (well, mostly) serves a purpose. Matching the right shot style (rapid, pierce, or spread) with the right element for each hunt just feels awesome. It also gives a structure to my play as crafting/upgrading every bow is fun in and of itself.
Until you run out of money.

tuffy

So, the only quest I have left (before unlocking more) in the Caravan is the White Monoblos.
That thing doesn't mess around. STOP MOVING SO I CAN SHOOT YOU.
That is exactly the point when I said "screw it, I'm going to bring in the Seregios LBG".

Its auto-reload feature came in handy when I was rolling to avoid his charges half the time anyway.

Top Bottom