• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tm24

Hooray, I've hit G rank! :)

What armor do you all recommend at this stage? My current set is Mono S, upgraded to 473 defense in total. The Tetsucabra X set looks promising.

Me and a friend were able to survive all of g1 with around that def in our variant rebellion up sets. G2 some monsters are giving us trouble (by monsters i mean tigrex. Fuck you tigrex)

Got a God's Isle LBG while charm farming which i was doing since its the only MH thing i can do while watching Daredevil. Shit gets real in both

I feel bad for the person I left just now, farming Shah for rippers. They told me they've been at it almost all day since all they gets are people who triple cart. Even now it took 2 runs but we killed it. I only wanted it done for the wycoon and the cats but still. And while it's awesome that we get Alatreon parts i'm kinda disappointed that his other parts need seals to trade with =/

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Still doing Caravan High Rank, just unlocked 9* quests and my Tetsucabra set is starting to feel a bit light on the defence side and I'm not seeing anything that feels good for Charge Blade in terms of skills. Any advice for an armor that'll carry me for the end of High Rank?

Shengar

Sorry, was helping randoms with Gog; I'm up for it if you're still here.
No worries, I'm still here wasting 30 minutes wondering what HBG I shouldmake.
Bah, I just back to LBG it seems.
Still doing Caravan High Rank, just unlocked 9* quests and my Tetsucabra set is starting to feel a bit light on the defence side and I'm not seeing anything that feels good for Charge Blade in terms of skills. Any advice for an armor that'll carry me for the end of High Rank?

I can't recommend anything but Rath Soul set

Leezard

Rath soul is a great general purpose armor.

I'm cruising through SP getting to white Monoblos for my Doku set, and I'm getting massive feels toward's Guildmarm.

"I'm running a little low on cash, Doodle, but I'll use what's left to pay your reward."

26OuUUI.gif

I'LL DO IT FOR FREE GUILDMARM

Shengar

Seriously Capcom, either bring back lobby name or at least let us having apex on the online filter.

Anyway, thanks Kitty for helping. Hopefully this OT will be crowded back when the quiet months arrived.

I'm cruising through SP getting to white Monoblos for my Doku set, and I'm getting massive feels toward's Guildmarm.

"I'm running a little low on cash, Doodle, but I'll use what's left to pay your reward."

26OuUUI.gif

I'LL DO IT FOR FREE GUILDMARM

You should see my guild card epitaph

Faiz

So I know people say G Rank Seregios is basically the same as HR but I'm not seeing it. Seems way more aggressive and spammy with attacks. This is definitely becoming a wall for me.

Or maybe I've got the yips. :/

So how do you actually break the W. Monoblos horn? I've been using bombs and ultra Seregios hammer smashes, and all that seems to be happening is that it gets mad.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So how do you actually break the W. Monoblos horn? I've been using bombs and ultra Seregios hammer smashes, and all that seems to be happening is that it gets mad.
I think it should be pretty easy if you bring a pitfall, ingredients for another pitfall and partbreaker. I use a longsword though and can't recall if he erratically moves in pitfalls. Sonic Bombs would be nice too.

Kandinsky

Am I doing something wrong or is the online room/search as limited as it seems. First time I log in to check stuff (I only play multiplayer with my kids, but they arent allowed to play on weekdays :p) and I cant find shit lol

I think it should be pretty easy if you bring a pitfall, ingredients for another pitfall and partbreaker. I use a longsword though and can't recall if he erratically moves in pitfalls. Sonic Bombs would be nice too.

Partsbreaker worked beautifully, had him before he popped out of the pitfall. His head moves around a bit but largely stays in one spot.

Shengar

What is it?
Make your guess :p
So I know people say G Rank Seregios is basically the same as HR but I'm not seeing it. Seems way more aggressive and spammy with attacks. This is definitely becoming a wall for me.

Or maybe I've got the yips. :/
More aggressive yes, but regular G Rank Seregios stay on the ground often. 126+ on the other is different. Now it's (half) airborne most of the time. fighting the damn thing without any disable is annoying as hell.
Am I doing something wrong or is the online room/search as limited as it seems. First time I log in to check stuff (I only play multiplayer with my kids, but they arent allowed to play on weekdays :p) and I cant find shit lol

That can't be true. Whenever I search online hall on all rank of hunter, they're always jam packed. The only instance where it's empty is when I searched for particular monsters. Do you use any parental setting? If so, that might be your cause of problem.

Kandinsky

That can't be true. Whenever I search online hall on all rank of hunter, they're always jam packed. The only instance where it's empty is when I searched for particular monsters. Do you use any parental setting? If so, that might be your cause of problem.
I probably wasnt clear sorry, what I meant was the lack of info/options, for example if I search for Brachy, it doesnt tell me if it's Low/High/G rank in the results, just other player's HR. I'm sure I'm missing something because in 3U you could just search/form whatever you wanted.

I probably wasnt clear sorry, what I meant was the lack of info/options, for example if I search for Brachy, it doesnt tell me if it's Low/High/G rank in the results, just other player's HR. I'm sure I'm missing something because in 3U you could just search/form whatever you wanted.

Ohhh, yeah, that's annoying. You have to play a little guess-work. Some hosts are nice enough to put their rank in their query, but most of them don't. You just have to look at their hunter rank, and if it matches around where yours is, then it's a good one to join.

Shengar

Oh, that's what you meant. Your best bet if you searching for specific rank of specific monster is by filtering the hunter rank in the search option.
Yeah, the online lobby definitely a step back from 3U.

Kandinsky

Ohhh, yeah, that's annoying. You have to play a little guess-work. Some hosts are nice enough to put their rank in their query, but most of them don't. You just have to look at their hunter rank, and if it matches around where yours is, then it's a good one to join.

Oh, that's what you meant. Your best bet if you searching for specific rank of specific monster is by filtering the hunter rank in the search option.
Yeah, the online lobby definitely a step back from 3U.

Aw thats too bad, thanks for the help tho :D

tuffy

In 3 Ultimate I used to just browse the multiplayer lobbies, look for anything interesting with space, and hop in with whatever random group was doing. I wound up with a fortune in parts because I thought Gold Rathian was especially fun. It's not really the same in 4 Ultimate, so I've just gone with GAF rooms or the occasional farming one.

Faiz

More aggressive yes, but regular G Rank Seregios stay on the ground often. 126+ on the other is different. Now it's (half) airborne most of the time. fighting the damn thing without any disable is annoying as hell.

Honestly half airborne describes my experience pretty close. /shrug. I'm sure the 126+ GQs are rougher than a G2 urgent but it sure doesn't feel like he's on the ground much.

I managed a pre-limp capture shortly after the post, but don't really feel like I have it down.

Any tips for HR7 key quest Advanced: Fleet Action? I've not had trouble with Dahren Mohran in my previous encounters, but I can't seem to kill him before the timer expires or he kills the ship. I have no trouble staying alive myself.

I use up all the cannon balls and ballista, then in phase 2 it's just non stop attack mode with either thunder or blast dual blades, but the time always seems to run out. I did hop on his horn to break it both attempts as well.

Is this one that isn't meant to be played solo?

Any tips for HR7 key quest Advanced: Fleet Action? I've not had trouble with Dahren Mohran in my previous encounters, but I can't seem to kill him before the timer expires or he kills the ship. I have no trouble staying alive myself.

I use up all the cannon balls and ballista, then in phase 2 it's just non stop attack mode with either thunder or blast dual blades, but the time always seems to run out. I did hop on his horn to break it both attempts as well.

Is this one that isn't meant to be played solo?

Did you use the dragonator? Did you use the gong when he is about to attack the ship?

I decided that I'm never going to find a B. Gravios pallium, so I'm giving up on that armor set for now. Spent a healthy chunk of my 1.2million dollars on a weirdass Awaken, Fire atk +1, Drag Atk +1, HG Earplugs melee set, and a few hunting horns, sword n shields, and long swords to go with it. Time to go have some fun.

Are the weak points the places where you can mine? I got to the rear of his horn and broke it from there. Is that what you mean?

(note, this isn't the Dah'ren but it's close enough to demonstrate the areas to target)

Areas marked with 68 and 78 for cutting and impact respectively, they're near the mining spots. You can get on his back portion when he comes close (the arrows will just appear), and on the front portion if you break the arms with the ballista. They're around the areas you can mine, and doing damage until they break will weaken him and give you more resources. When they break, they completely disappear so you know you got it.

Really, the dragonator is going to be what does the damage in the second round. Wait until his nose is touching the ship, and as he winds up, hit the trigger.

I finally realized that at this point in the game I'm stretched too thin with my weapons upgrades so much that only a handful are useable in G and G+ and that's not counting honing upgrades that I have to do.

Rawk Hawk

Finished making Regios X, looking over my charms I went with slotting in Evasion +3, never really used evasion boosting skills. For the most part I have only used switch axe before, but with evasion +3, I think it's time to learn how to lance. Either way it's really nice to be able to evade a lot of stuff now, with constitution +2 I feel completely fine rolling around with my axe out and just being invincible all the time.

Is there a way to farm Nyctgems? I did the "Wound the Seltas Queen's head" subquest in "Lady Killer" to end it quickly and get a S.Queen Concentrate, I could finish the quest in less than 2 minutes and got it after 30 quests. But is there something like that for Gore Magala?

I can kill it in less than 5 minutes, 7 at most, but is way slower than the Seltas Queen method.

I'm having a load of trouble with Kecha Wacha (The first urgent quest). All I have is a bone kris blade with 126 attack and it takes forever to kill him. I've been hitting him and hitting him until either I finally die or the time goes down and he just wont die. Not really sure what to do, is there a better weapon to use or should I stick with this one and just keep upgrading it until he finally is manageable to kill?

Keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about the game so if you have any suggestions keep it simple.

tuffy

Is there a way to farm Nyctgems?
I suppose the easiest way is to just trade a VE Golden Ticket for one in the Primal Forest.

Otherwise, it looks like the best odds are to just keep farming high rank Gore since the G rank one doesn't even have any body carve odds and there's no quick way to subquest out to get the head break reward.

Mupod

I'm having a load of trouble with Kecha Wacha (The first urgent quest). All I have is a bone kris blade with 126 attack and it takes forever to kill him. I've been hitting him and hitting him until either I finally die or the time goes down and he just wont die. Not really sure what to do, is there a better weapon to use or should I stick with this one and just keep upgrading it until he finally is manageable to kill?

Keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about the game so if you have any suggestions keep it simple.

Try a different weapon type. There's a bunch of training missions under the 1* quests where you can fight a Great Jaggi with a basic weapon setup. Sword and Shield is fine, but I bet you'll find a weapon you like better if you try them all. Gaijin Hunter has videos that show off weapon movesets, or just check the digital manual from the home menu. It's important to learn which attacks/combos are most damaging, I mean it's not like DMC where you're stringing together tons of attacks. Rather it's just understanding which moves are your 'bread and butter' and which moves are situational.

I don't think it should take more than 10-15 minutes to kill even with a basic low level weapon. It sounds to me like you're probably using the wrong attacks or hitting the wrong parts. For Kecha you want to either be aiming for his back legs/tail or his face when you can reach it.

A good rule of thumb as a blademaster is if the hit feels 'meaty' and your weapon seems to pause for a split second as it hits, that's a good spot to attack. Likewise if you bounce off, all you're going to do is wreck your sharpness. You also want to get a weapon with a nice thick bar of green sharpness as quickly as possible.

Have you done the Tutorial Hunts? Try to find the weapon it best suits your style. Try watching the Gaijin Hunter Weapon Tutorials too:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDR3ta7VqKrwAHPSAudDagumWffFyHK6g

Once you get the weapon it best suits you, try to craft the best weapon and armor that you can at the time.
Focus on defense at lower rank (The tetsucabra armor is pretty good for beginners) or the armor that has the most skills that you can use (Velociprey Armor will increase your attack)

For weapons, upgrade them as most as you can. Check which materials you need and which monsters give those materials. At the lowest levels, you can buy weapons that are good enough for lower level hunts.

Have you done the Tutorial Hunts? Try to find the weapon it best suits your style. Try watching the Gaijin Hunter Weapon Tutorials too:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDR3ta7VqKrwAHPSAudDagumWffFyHK6g

Once you get the weapon it best suits you, try to craft the best weapon and armor that you can at the time.
Focus on defense at lower rank (The tetsucabra armor is pretty good for beginners) or the armor that has the most skills that you can use (Velociprey Armor will increase your attack)

For weapons, upgrade them as most as you can. Check which materials you need and which monsters give those materials. At the lowest levels, you can buy weapons that are good enough for lower level hunts.

I dont see how the tutorial will help because I'm pretty comfortable with this weapon and have been hitting him over and over again and he doesn't die for almost 50 minutes, which is when I usually have died twice and the mission fails by then simply due to my health slowly eroding from not being able to constantly dodge his attacks for a solid 50 minutes straight. Not to mention that his attacks take out about a fifth of my health. Also him constantly jumping to new areas makes the fight drag out really long.

I've upgraded this weapon twice and now it says I need Bone Husk and Monster Bone M to do the next upgrade, which I'm not sure where to find. None of the monsters listed for dropping Monster Bone M on a wiki I found have appeared on my map yet.

I dont see how the tutorial will help because I'm pretty comfortable with this weapon and have been hitting him over and over again and he doesn't die for almost 50 minutes, which is when I usually have died twice and the mission fails by then simply due to my health slowly eroding from not being able to constantly dodge his attacks for a solid 50 minutes straight. Not to mention that his attacks take out about a fifth of my health. Also him constantly jumping to new areas makes the fight drag out really long.

I've upgraded this weapon twice and now it says I need Bone Husk and Monster Bone M to do the next upgrade, which I'm not sure where to find. None of the monsters listed for dropping Monster Bone M on a wiki I found have appeared on my map yet.

There's a Quest on the Guild in which you can hunt Rhenoplos, which can give you Monster Bone M. Sometimes Slagtoth appears on the Sunken Hollow, from which you can also carve the item you need.
You could also try making the Celestial Sword, which needs Seltas materials. This sword gives you a little more defense (almost unnoticeable), but you will be able to upgrade it further as you progress.

As for the 1/5 damage per hit, it's either a matter of getting a better armor, or reading Kecha's movements, learn its attacks and dodge as much as possible, finding openings in order to hit is as much as you can. Sword and Shields deal low damage per hit, but their forte is hitting a lot, so it adds up.

Rawk Hawk

Maybe make the Great Jaggi armor for the attack boost, are you visiting the chef before heading out on quests? You can also spend money or points on meals, which offer attack boosts as well. The Great Jaggi sword and shield is also 140 damage with green sharpness, so that's a little bit of a boost as well. If you have gathered any might seeds those offer a temporary boost, you can eat one before entering an area with Kecha to give you some time of bonus damage.

I think the reason people are saying to check the training courses is because some weapons can offer a faster kill time, like Great Sword. If you happen to click with that, you could speed up the damage out put that way. SnS is fun though, on larger monsters you can get a lot of trips in by hitting their legs, although not sure if this is the case with Kecha.

Are you mounting the Kecha Wacha? Mounting the monsters can help, as, if you secede, you will knock the monster over allowing you many free hits.

Maybe make the Great Jaggi armor for the attack boost, are you visiting the chef before heading out on quests? You can also spend money or points on meals, which offer attack boosts as well. The Great Jaggi sword and shield is also 140 damage with green sharpness, so that's a little bit of a boost as well. If you have gathered any might seeds those offer a temporary boost, you can eat one before entering an area with Kecha to give you some time of bonus damage.

I think the reason people are saying to check the training courses is because some weapons can offer a faster kill time, like Great Sword. If you happen to click with that, you could speed up the damage out put that way. SnS is fun though, on larger monsters you can get a lot of trips in by hitting their legs, although not sure if this is the case with
Kecha.

Yeah I'll try the great jaggi armor and sword. I tried heavier weapons that had 300 damage but I completely sucked with them as I thought I had an opening but by the time the weapon had finished its long animation the boss hit me. I just can't focus on trying to hit him and trying to compensate for those types of weapons large delays at the same time.

I've tried to beat him 3 times today for a total of like 4 hours so I'm getting frustrated and am not having fun, I'll take a break and try using that armor and stuff tomorrow. Also I watched a few youtube commentaries and this one guy was commentating on how easy the boss was to beat even with low level stuff which made me a little flustered and upset lol.

Are you mounting the Kecha Wacha? Mounting the monsters can help, as, if you secede, you will knock the monster over allowing you many free hits.

Yeah I've tried doing that a few times but I usually get thrown off even when I hold L when they try to shake me off.

I believe before you fight kecha wacha you have the abillity to upgrade your SnS into a celestial blade, which is a Selkis sword. Additionally, you could fight great jaggi and make his SnS. Bone blade does eventually offer some cool options but early in the game you need to work with what you've got available.

edit: celestial blade is the upgrade for the bone kris just after you upgrade it once via bone type mats. It has green sharpness which you'll notice makes a world of difference that early on.

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/sword/bone-kris+

Top Bottom