• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

PKrockin

I like to think that I'm a decent player so I'm kinda ashamed to tell my fellow hunters that a slow monster like Akantor totally destroyed me in Advanced: Stand Tall. =(

Man, it's a shame loosing to such a slow POS, everything was predictable but it was my very first time with the sucker, gonna retry today.

Can I avoid its deadly "ray" if I crouch in that low hollow in the middle of the arena? I had maybe 80% health and that fucking attack instakilled me from a very great distance, that's rude monster.
Bring some armor seeds to counteract the Defense Down it can inflict on you. It can get you killed if you don't notice it or underestimate it.

redcrayon

I dont see how the tutorial will help because I'm pretty comfortable with this weapon and have been hitting him over and over again and he doesn't die for almost 50 minutes, which is when I usually have died twice and the mission fails by then simply due to my health slowly eroding from not being able to constantly dodge his attacks for a solid 50 minutes straight. Not to mention that his attacks take out about a fifth of my health. Also him constantly jumping to new areas makes the fight drag out really long.

I've upgraded this weapon twice and now it says I need Bone Husk and Monster Bone M to do the next upgrade, which I'm not sure where to find. None of the monsters listed for dropping Monster Bone M on a wiki I found have appeared on my map yet.
What other SnS are available to you at the armourer? Sometimes he gets new stuff up for sale that you can buy outright as you defeat new monsters, it just costs more resources and money. The key thing is that it might need different resources that you actually have. You can probably upgrade the iron weapon quite a way by now too. It's always worth checking his weapons for sale when upgrading.

The key to upgrading weapons isn't to focus on a specific one, as that will turn your game into a neverending grind. Make or buy one of everything on offer so that you have several potential upgrade routes available, and then focus on upgrading them once you only need one or two specific things that you can grab relatively easily. That way you'll spend more time hunting for fun, trying out different effects and being in a better position to capitalise on rare drops, rather than fighting the RNG. You're better off building sets around the rare drops you get, rather than grinding for hours for the ones you don't have.

Also, are you using traps? Take a shock trap, a pitfall trap, and the bits to make two more. Every time he moves to a new area, stick one down and use the opportunity to give him a good kicking. They aren't just for capturing monsters, they can really help you save time when fighting fast monsters too. The wycoon can help you multiply thunderbugs and Ivy so you have a steady supply of them.

What am I doing wrong? What did I do to deserve this, game?

You've given me five Rath Rubys in a single hunt's rewards, but refuse to hand over the mantle?

Why do you taunt me?

MonHun5 should have the Wycoon let you trade up parts. 50 commons for that 5% drop that you need.

Beats

welp, I'm almost at 400 hours on my save file. I think I've already played this one more than 3U. I guess playing on a portable helps since it's easy to just pop it open wherever and do a few hunts.

I've mostly evaded heavy grinding of the same monster for equipment this time around by going for weapons and armor parts that don't require super rare stuff and using as many ve tickets as I can for rare stuff. Aiding other people with hunts helped a lot too.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
welp, I'm almost at 400 hours on my save file. I think I've already played this one more than 3U. I guess playing on a portable helps since it's easy to just pop it open wherever and do a few hunts.
This so much. Virtually zero effort is needed to join rooms posted when I don't have to turn on a tv and a console. My 3DS has practically been in sleep mode for over a month; poor battery.

Rawk Hawk

Yea, kind of nice to have a game I can pop in over lunch and what not as well. Usually I don't play games on lunch, but one hunt is almost the perfect amount of time to do and still eat. I didn't think I would like portable, since my only other MH games were both on console (Tri and 3U), but I definitely like it on the 3DS.

So, I made this jank melee set that I'm starting to really have fun with:
HG Earplugs
Awaken
Dragon Atk +1
Fire Atk +1

It's not a lot of skills, but it's a lot of fun. I picked the Switch Axe back up after not using it since MH3U, and OHHHHHHH LAWDY I'm enjoying it. There's just something so satisfying about sword mode, infinitely wailing away on a monster.

tuffy

I've fallen back on my usual practice of making tons of different saved armor sets for all sorts of situations. Turns out that a full set of Sororal is perfect for Gravios/Black Gravios hunts. Bonus Shot and Fleet Feet (Unscathed + Evade Extender) outright, huge fire resistance and just needing to bring in Water Atk +3. It's the first full set of anything I've made since Hermitaur Z at the start of G rank. For everything else, I've finally gotten around to using Athena's A.S.S. to bring in skills an armor piece or two at a time.

Though it does seem like every time I use Unscathed in a set, every Konchu and Rhenopolos in the map decides to use my hunter for target practice - dealing a tiny bit of damage and knocking me out of it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I've fallen back on my usual practice of making tons of different saved armor sets for all sorts of situations. Turns out that a full set of Sororal is perfect for Gravios/Black Gravios hunts. Bonus Shot and Fleet Feet (Unscathed + Evade Extender) outright, huge fire resistance and just needing to bring in Water Atk +3. It's the first full set of anything I've made since Hermitaur Z at the start of G rank. For everything else, I've finally gotten around to using Athena's A.S.S. to bring in skills an armor piece or two at a time.

Though it does seem like every time I use Unscathed in a set, every Konchu and Rhenopolos in the map decides to use my hunter for target practice - dealing a tiny bit of damage and knocking me out of it.
Only solution now is to make a Life Honed and Attack honed for each of your weapons.

Shengar

I've seen some calculation on what the Magala LBG can do with its up to 90% affinity combined with Bonus Shot. Now I'm back meeting with Michael Bay again for his mantle, how wonderful.

tuffy

Only solution now is to make a Life Honed and Attack honed for each of your weapons.
It's tempting! But apparently attack honing and Unscathed is the same amount of damage boost, so it seems like a better idea to just attack hone things and have more damage all the time, rather than honing for life to keep Unscathed going.

So I'll probably just stick with attack honing for things that don't one-shot me, and defense honing for things that might.

Man, Helios X gear is awesome. I need to get to Chaos Gore as soon as possible to get some of that action. Anyone available in about 10 hours to help me do my last few G2 quests?

Rawk Hawk

Anyone use Exhaust Switch Axes? Axe of Gaia looks kind of nice, just breaking into G2 and starting to look at final forms of weapons to figure out what I should start building towards, and I think that axe could be nice verse say a Tigrex.. but just not sure how good they are, I mainly just stick to Power.

tuffy

Man, Helios X gear is awesome. I need to get to Chaos Gore as soon as possible to get some of that action. Anyone available in about 10 hours to help me do my last few G2 quests?
I should be able to make it then.

I think Chaos Gore shows up in the 10* Caravan quests once you hit G3, too. That's how I farmed him for the Contrary Scales I needed.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone use Exhaust Switch Axes? Axe of Gaia looks kind of nice, just breaking into G2 and starting to look at final forms of weapons to figure out what I should start building towards, and I think that axe could be nice verse say a Tigrex.. but just not sure how good they are, I mainly just stick to Power.

Power will always trump any of the other Switch Axes, sadly. Exhaust tends to not be worth it; You can tire the monster out, or you could kill it faster. And it's very difficult to apply enough KO damage with the SA to actually score a knock out. Even as a hammer user, I'd rather have a SA partner just doing much more damage than helping with KO damage.

I should be able to make it then.

I think Chaos Gore shows up in the 10* Caravan quests once you hit G3, too. That's how I farmed him for the Contrary Scales I needed.

That'd be cool. I really like fighting Gore (though I haven't seen Chaotic yet), but it looks like there's a G3 quest with him and Sygian Zinogre that you have to beat to unlock some Caedeus parts.

Power will always trump any of the other Switch Axes, sadly. Exhaust tends to not be worth it; You can tire the monster out, or you could kill it faster. And it's very difficult to apply enough KO damage with the SA to actually score a knock out. Even as a hammer user, I'd rather have a SA partner just doing much more damage than helping with KO damage.

I'm going to second this. Late game switch axes have insane damage output with Power. If you're with a group, that's more important - kill it til it's dead.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, time for Dalamadur. Could I maybe get some help? I've watched Gaijin hunter's video and tried soloing him a couple times, so I have a general idea of what to do. Can't promise I won't shit it up, but I'll try not to, heh.

41-6741-5576-5180

Devil May Cry DLC isn't out yet, is it? I haven't been paying much attention to DLC.
I thought it'd come out in June given the DMC4SE release, but I might have missed it.

I want those 49 minutes of my life back. I thought I was doing good against apex tigrex, dude said NOPE. Guess my level of play is still scrub. =/

Leezard

Well, time for Dalamadur. Could I maybe get some help? I've watched Gaijin hunter's video and tried soloing him a couple times, so I have a general idea of what to do. Can't promise I won't shit it up, but I'll try not to, heh.

41-6741-5576-5180

Are you done already? If not, I'll come and help.

Hale-XF11

Got this email from Capcom today:

Critically Acclaimed Action RPG Becomes Fastest Selling Monster HunterTM Title in the West
San Mateo, Calif. — April 14, 2015 — Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, is pleased to confirm that Monster Hunter™ 4 Ultimate for Nintendo 3DS™ has shipped one million units in combined retail and digital units since its release across North America and Europe on February 13, 2015. The game has now become the fastest selling and has the highest Metascore of any Monster Hunter™ title in the west. In celebration of the milestone, a special free Nintendo 3DS theme will be available for download in May as a token of appreciation for all the fan support.

Faiz

Twenty Seregios and still no lens. The frustration is starting to cause me to lose patience and make dumb mistakes. I've gone from tail cut and head broken in the first 5 minutes to double carting in the first 5 minutes.

Not giving up though, spent too much time making the other pieces to not get the last one.

Twenty Seregios and still no lens. The frustration is starting to cause me to lose patience and make dumb mistakes. I've gone from tail cut and head broken in the first 5 minutes to double carting in the first 5 minutes.

Not giving up though, spent too much time making the other pieces to not get the last one.
Maybe it might be a good idea to swap targets just to reset that desire sensor.

tuffy

Hey what a good pierce HBG I should look into? I hear gravios is good for siege mode but what a good one with limiter removed?
The Destiny's Arm from Crimson Fatalis has good attack power, big pierce clips and even a couple of slots to work with. Before that, everything down the (non-rusted) Daora line works well for similar reasons. Though surprisingly, the Seregios line also works as a pierce gun if you can fit Recoil Down +2 into your armor set.

Pila

Bring some armor seeds to counteract the Defense Down it can inflict on you. It can get you killed if you don't notice it or underestimate it.

Thanks for the advice, they give you a couple but I brought some more just to be sure. It took three tries I must say, it's finally gone after a 20 min hunt.

Love this game. <3

Mupod

Hey what a good pierce HBG I should look into? I hear gravios is good for siege mode but what a good one with limiter removed?

Daora is what I use since I don't have any OP fatalis weapons yet. It works great and isn't hard to get even if Daora is a pain in the butt.

Wyeth

Athena's Armor Set Search talk:

Anyone know if Athena's search results are locked to valid charms only? I was noodling trying to make the ultimate hammer set and in the list of items needed it lists a +8 evade dist +9 evasion charm, however if I go to the charm table spreadsheet that's floating around, it doesn't look like that charm is possible.

It sucks if that tool doesn't actually limit its' suggestions to charms that actually exist...

Reached high rank caravan today. One thing I hate is that you can't switch equipment after accepting a quest. As I've started to keep elemental weaknesses in mind, I'd like to be able to change my weapon after accepting a quest rather than having to check weaknesses, go back to house to switch weapon if necessary, and then accept the quest. This seems like it'd be even more of a pain online. Going to go for rank 3 online once I've gotten a bit higher in caravan

Mupod

Reached high rank caravan today. One thing I hate is that you can't switch equipment after accepting a quest. As I've started to keep elemental weaknesses in mind, I'd like to be able to change my weapon after accepting a quest rather than having to check weaknesses, go back to house to switch weapon if necessary, and then accept the quest. This seems like it'd be even more of a pain online. Going to go for rank 3 online once I've gotten a bit higher in caravan

yeah I hope this is something that gets addressed in the next game.

Online you need to make sure you use the fast travel from the map to go straight to your house, it's faster that way. The New 3DS loadtimes also make this much less painful.

DooD1234

Daora is what I use since I don't have any OP fatalis weapons yet. It works great and isn't hard to get even if Daora is a pain in the butt.

The Destiny's Arm from Crimson Fatalis has good attack power, big pierce clips and even a couple of slots to work with. Before that, everything down the (non-rusted) Daora line works well for similar reasons. Though surprisingly, the Seregios line also works as a pierce gun if you can fit Recoil Down +2 into your armor set.
How soon can I fight Crimson Fatalis? I'm looking at some G1 equipment and I think the entire Purple Hermitaur gunner armor would go good with that. If not I going to look into Daora or Sergio's instead.

Athena's Armor Set Search talk:

Anyone know if Athena's search results are locked to valid charms only? I was noodling trying to make the ultimate hammer set and in the list of items needed it lists a +8 evade dist +9 evasion charm, however if I go to the charm table spreadsheet that's floating around, it doesn't look like that charm is possible.

It sucks if that tool doesn't actually limit its' suggestions to charms that actually exist...

That charm is possible, just looked at the sheet.

How soon can I fight Crimson Fatalis? I'm looking at some G1 equipment and I think the entire Purple Hermitaur gunner armor would go good with that. If not I going to look into Daora or Sergio's instead.

Purple Herm armor is fantastic if you're going the pierce route. It's a great gunner set.

You can fight HR Crimson Fatalis in the caravan if you need HR gear.

Beats

G-Rank Crimson Fatalis is late G-rank. So, it'll be a while before you can make its heavy bowgun.

tuffy

He's way up in G3, unfortunately. I wound up putting a lot of time into Daora's before I got to it myself. I only noticed Sergio's was good for pierce when I stumbled onto a remarkable speedrun with it against Shagaru Magala.

Wyeth

That charm is possible, just looked at the sheet.

Wait, really? I must be reading the sheet wrong. if I look at evade dist on the sheet it says the max is +8, and then all I do is go find the max of the evasion category and combine them? There's no other dependency? For some reason I thought if a charm had a max in one stat there was a dependency in the maximum value of another.

So this means for example that an evasion +9 handicraft+6 charm is possible? That's nuts.

Ugh. I can't even beat a Great Jaggi to get that Jaggi armor you guys suggested. This is so hard. I lasted about 40 minutes before I died three times and the mission failed. I used up all of my first aid items and made sure my weapon was sharpened each time he went to a new area. I even managed to mount the guy and get him on the ground four times. I was hitting him a LOT, but after 40 minutes it felt like I didn't even make any progress. I'm trying to memorize his attacks but its really hard to focus on when to dodge and attack when other jaggies are attacking you while the boss is also attacking you.

Wait, really? I must be reading the sheet wrong. if I look at evade dist on the sheet it says the max is +8, and then all I do is go find the max of the evasion category and combine them? There's no other dependency? For some reason I thought if a charm had a max in one stat there was a dependency in the maximum value of another.

So this means for example that an evasion +9 handicraft+6 charm is possible? That's nuts.

0arZxiS.png

An Enduring rarity talisman with Evade Dist +8 in the first skill slot, and Evasion +9 in the second skill slot.

It's also possible for it to come with 0-3 Slots.

Yes, a Handicraft +6 Evasion +9 charm is possible.

PrankT

Ugh. I can't even beat a Great Jaggi to get that Jaggi armor you guys suggested. This is so hard. I lasted about 40 minutes before I died three times and the mission failed. I used up all of my first aid items and made sure my weapon was sharpened each time he went to a new area. I even managed to mount the guy and get him on the ground four times. I was hitting him a LOT, but after 40 minutes it felt like I didn't even make any progress. I'm trying to memorize his attacks but its really hard to focus on when to dodge and attack when other jaggies are attacking you while the boss is also attacking you.
You are talking about the jaggi in caravan (get this from the lady wearing green outside) and not from the guild quest (lady wearing yellow inside), right?

Wyeth

Quoting this post so you can come back and read it in a few weeks when you demolish G. Jaggi in three minutes flat and wonder how you ever struggled for even a second with his stupid face.

For real advice, just keep at it, eventually his patterns will be clear to you and your stronger attacks will connect more and you'll have him. Also mix it up and try different weapons, one might click with you and reduce your time by half without even realizing it.

You are talking about the jaggi in caravan and not from the guild quest, right?

No its the guild quest one, I heard that its the harder quests but its literally the only place I can find that has a great jaggi quests. I dont know where the Caravan is but in Val Habar when I go to the lady for quests there's nothing for the Great Jaggi.

Don't listen to people telling you to switch from Sword and Shield. Definitely experiment with other weapons, but SnS actually a pretty great weapon in this game and you can easily beat Kecha with it. You definitely want to try for one of the major upgrades like others have been saying though, with Seltas being the easy route. The higher sharpness and damage will help a ton.

How are you fighting with the SnS by the way? Your normal combo should be A+A then pull back on the slide pad while pressing A to do your charge attack. You can press X after if you have a clear shot for a nice, high slice, then go back into the combo, or roll out of danger. Pressing X+A too on approach is a good way to cover ground and get in. X+A is secretly one of the best attacks in the game too. If you use it below a low ledge, you will spring up and launch into the air, giving you mounting hits from below the monster. You can also use it to launch yourself off a cliff and you'll be able to land two mounting hits (one from the attack, another on the way down) quite often, making it one of the best mounting weapons.

And you're probably too early in the game to use it much, but the SnS allows the use of items without sheathing. This can be really handy for downing potions, setting traps, placing bombs and especially throwing things like flash bombs.

I'd give this video a quick watch. Even if you think you know the weapon inside and out, you'll probably learn a thing, or two. If you want to hop online later, I can hunt with you for a little bit and you can see how I handle the SnS myself.

Thanks I'll check out that video. No, I was just rolling to avoid his attacks and pressing X or A whenever I thought I had an opening (which I'm usually correct 90% of the time, but since my armor sucks that 10% adds up quick as it takes off a lot of health) and I also try to draw him towards a ledge and then roll off it and attack in mid air to mount him.

Top Bottom