• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Rawk Hawk

Yeah I'll try the great jaggi armor and sword. I tried heavier weapons that had 300 damage but I completely sucked with them as I thought I had an opening but by the time the weapon had finished its long animation the boss hit me. I just can't focus on trying to hit him and trying to compensate for those types of weapons large delays at the same time.

I've tried to beat him 3 times today for a total of like 4 hours so I'm getting frustrated and am not having fun, I'll take a break and try using that armor and stuff tomorrow

Yeah I've tried doing that a few times but I usually get thrown off even when I hold L when they try to shake me off.

The Great Jaggi or Seltas sword will be a good boost in both raw damage and sharpness. Take the time to use whetstones and bump that sharpness back up when it starts to dull. Dual Blades is quick like sword and shield but offers a few tricks for boosting damage as well. I think though with the great jaggi sword and eating a meal for attack boost you should have enough to put him down. Good luck!

Also, if you are interested in online play, when I started playing MH I grouped with some GAF members and just watching them kill stuff helped me out a lot, I'm sure plenty of people here (myself included) would be happy to do some low rank quests with you.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Yeah I've tried doing that a few times but I usually get thrown off even when I hold L when they try to shake me off.
Apologies if you're already doing this but with the mounting, hold R (not L) the entire time, and only stab (x), as rapidly as you can, when the monster mouth is green. Also with kecha if you throw a flash bomb at him when he's hanging from the ceiling he'll often fall to the ground where you can belt him. Then feel a strange sensation of guilt as he's just a cute monkeyelephant.

(note, this isn't the Dah'ren but it's close enough to demonstrate the areas to target)

Areas marked with 68 and 78 for cutting and impact respectively, they're near the mining spots. You can get on his back portion when he comes close (the arrows will just appear), and on the front portion if you break the arms with the ballista. They're around the areas you can mine, and doing damage until they break will weaken him and give you more resources. When they break, they completely disappear so you know you got it.

Really, the dragonator is going to be what does the damage in the second round. Wait until his nose is touching the ship, and as he winds up, hit the trigger.

Thanks for that, very helpful. I was finally able to beat him on my third try. I watched a video where they pummeled the legs with ballista to break them, then jumped on top at every opportunity and mined everything and broke the blowhole, then back to ballista during the final showdown. I think my problem was that I was trying to use the cannons first, and I wasn't jumping on at every opportunity. Thanks again!

Next up, Teostra... I might make a room for that one later tonight.

is Artillery all that powerful for a Charge Blade user? Does it really boost your damage potential, or is it more worthwhile for other weapons?

Mupod

Yeah I'll try the great jaggi armor and sword. I tried heavier weapons that had 300 damage but I completely sucked with them as I thought I had an opening but by the time the weapon had finished its long animation the boss hit me. I just can't focus on trying to hit him and trying to compensate for those types of weapons large delays at the same time.

I've tried to beat him 3 times today for a total of like 4 hours so I'm getting frustrated and am not having fun, I'll take a break and try using that armor and stuff tomorrow. Also I watched a few youtube commentaries and this one guy was commentating on how easy the boss was to beat even with low level stuff which made me a little flustered and upset lol.

everyone has a wall eventually, I mean yeah I murdered him in 5 minutes but I know what I'm doing. I remember timing out on Khezu back in the day but now I can't even imagine even being hit by something that fat and slow. If you do training quests or fail a mission, you may not gain much in material rewards in-game but the only EXP bar that matters in monster hunter is the one in your head.

As for switching weapons look at it this way - I played MH for over 50 hours with longswords. I'd tried all the weapons at first and liked it the most. But when I came back with more experience under my belt and better understanding of the game, I was finally able to make sense of the hammer moveset. And hammers clicked so much better with me that my skill at the game jumped massively almost instantly.

You may not have realized it yet but you're probably very familiar with Kecha's movements. You might find that you know how to attack 'where he's going to be' instead of 'where he is' now. So those slow weapons might not seem so unwieldy. That said, Sword and Shield can kill anything, just maybe not quickly unless you have the right element or are spamming certain items (it can use them while unsheathed).

rdaneel72

I've tried to beat him 3 times today for a total of like 4 hours so I'm getting frustrated and am not having fun, I'll take a break and try using that armor and stuff tomorrow. Also I watched a few youtube commentaries and this one guy was commentating on how easy the boss was to beat even with low level stuff which made me a little flustered and upset lol.

Don't get frustrated. It take a while to click, but it is so satisfying once it does.

Something that can't be stressed enough is that you may have to do quests more than once. In most mission-based games, you play through the mission once, complete it, and then never do it again. In Monster Hunter, the quests exist to give you access to specific monsters so you can farm parts from them. You may need to hunt the same monster many times until you carve the parts you need to upgrade your weapon or forge that new set of armor. If you are just trying to cruise through each quest once and check them off your list, you will hit a wall very soon.

Sites like Kiranico are a godsend. Don't be adverse to looking up exactly where and how to find the materials you need. Hoping to randomly come across all the mats to upgrade your weapon will drain the fun out of this game real quick.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Sites like Kiranico are a godsend. Don't be adverse to looking up exactly where and how to find the materials you need. Hoping to randomly come across all the mats to upgrade your weapon will drain the fun out of this game real quick.
Kiranico is so great. Fast to load, super comprehensive, gives you all the info you need. It even has animated rotating weapon models in 3d. So much effort, I love that site. The Wikia site is good too, and has tips/info for each monster that can be helpful. Chezzymann, there's an iOS app (not sure if it's on Android) called Simulator for MH4G/U. It's really handy for monster elemental weaknesses, weapon trees, quests etc etc - i've found it really helpful and quick for checking info.

As said above, it really is about farming the materials you need over and over. Doesn't help that I have a crazy OCD itch that it scratched by this type of game but it really is super addictive and so rewarding - it's very rare for me for a game to have that collecting/grinding/loot loop but also reward reflexes, skill and perseverance. Stick with it!
Follow-up question: do I even want to be getting new armor sets right now, or should I just be adding armor spheres to what I already have?

And I'd love some Hammer recommendations!
I started farming Seltas Queen in the Guild quests to go from Accelerated Hammer to the Nitro Boost, which is my go-to for now - it stays sharp/green for ages, I barely sharpen it in the HR quests I'm doing at the moment.

@Jimmy Stav:

My suggestion, go ahead and make new armor if you feel like it. I wouldn't go out of your way to make something you're not really into but it's usually enough enough to finish a set off. (no idea what rank you're in, assumed HR at first but then edited my reply because I have no idea!)

As for hammers, even though the negative crit sucks the Ukanlos hammer (if you're not near him yet then I recommend the Seltas hammer, only because it has an engine and a big ass drill) is rather easy to make once you have access to him and I haven't seen another hammer yet that beats its raw damage.

My vote for ugliest hammer prolly still goes to the Gog one though.

Just make them both my dude, it's what I did! :p

So you don't think I *should* be making new armor, then? When will I know I should?

Regarding Hammers: how's Meaty Smash? I have an Accelerated Hammer already, but my next upgrade is a ways off (I haven't seen any of the materials yet).

Oh right, that comes out today doesn't it?

quick edit: Thank you everwoods Gore, gave me a mantle from carves.

I became so interested in that stream that I fell asleep in my chair.

Had kinda been hoping to see stuff that would impress me, but it's just not there.

Right! Hunt in on then, would you care to make the room?

tuffy

Is there a way to view the rotating weapon model in the game from the item box? I can only seem to bring it up when looking at crafting options at "The Man".
The only way to preview weapons in the viewing screen is from the Man's forge/upgrade equipment menus. So outside of the bowguns (which can always be upgraded to change barrels, add shields, etc.), there's no way to see your forged gear except by equipping it.

tuffy

What's the selling point of God's Archipelago beside the look?
It's a very potent status and explosive shot gun. Explosive and status shots are unaffected by the gun's attack power, so that part is irrelevant. But if you take the limiter off, it can load all its status and explosive shots at the same time without having to reload to switch between them. Add a silencer and the Recoil Down +2 skill and one can fire off all those shots sequentially without any recoil at all. Add the Load Up skill to add one shot to all of those clips and the number of shots grows even more.

So one could put the monster to sleep almost immediately with sleep lv. 2 shots. Plant bombs all over its head. Set them off with a normal shot. Paralyze it almost immediately with paralyze lv. 2 shots. Then unload 12 crag shots on its face across all three levels for a KO. Then unload all 12 clust shots across all three levels for a massive set of explosions.

Prisoner

Phew. I just beat 2 Seregios, an Ash Kecha Wacha, a Tidal Najarla, and a Yian Garuga in a G rank expedition quest all without carting even once. :)

Yian Garuga appeared last and boy did I come close to carting a number of times while fighting him! I was out of potions half-way through the fight and I didn't bring antidotes so it was super tense (not that carting matters too much in an expedition quest).

Feels good, man.

Shengar

It's a very potent status and explosive shot gun. Explosive and status shots are unaffected by the gun's attack power, so that part is irrelevant. But if you take the limiter off, it can load all its status and explosive shots at the same time without having to reload to switch between them. Add a silencer and the Recoil Down +2 skill and one can fire off all those shots sequentially without any recoil at all. Add the Load Up skill to add one shot to all of those clips and the number of shots grows even more.

So one could put the monster to sleep almost immediately with sleep lv. 2 shots. Plant bombs all over its head. Set them off with a normal shot. Paralyze it almost immediately with paralyze lv. 2 shots. Then unload 12 crag shots on its face across all three levels for a KO. Then unload all 12 clust shots across all three levels for a massive set of explosions.

I see that God's Archipelago have a ton of use! I wonder which is best way to maximize it. Status shot? Or normal?

Phew. I just beat 2 Seregios, an Ash Kecha Wacha, a Tidal Najarla, and a Yian Garuga in a G rank expedition quest all without carting even once. :)

Yian Garuga appeared last and boy did I come close to carting a number of times while fighting him! I was out of potions half-way through the fight and I didn't bring antidotes so it was super tense (not that carting matters too much in an expedition quest).

Feels good, man.

I can hunt Savage Jho, Diablos, and Seregios relatively unscathed but Ash Kecha always get me. Every single time.

OmegaZero

So I tried HBGing a G rank Gravios the other day and it took 40 minutes to make it limp.

I was using the second Daora HBG, limiter removed, power barrel.
My armor set had Pierce Up, Evade Extender, Recoil+2 and Health+50.

Shot Pierce 3 shots through his head into his tail getting lots of critical distance shakes. Repeated with Pierce 2 and made more when I ran out. I shot maybe 3-4 times per opening.
EDIT: Rarely got hit, though occasionally those sweeps got me.

What am I doing wrong?

On an unrelated note, also tried Wide GLing HR8 Uklanos and destroyed him in 10 minutes. Explosions.

tuffy

I see that God's Archipelago have a ton of use! I wonder which is best way to maximize it. Status shot? Or normal?
Always status and explosive shot. Here's high rank Molten Tigrex beaten in 1:22 with the God's Archipelago. Notice how after the initial "reload all" move that he switches from shot type to shot type, building up status before unloading a bunch of crag and clust. Of course the clust shots are a bad idea in group hunts, but the status and crag shots are always good.

DooD1234

Always status and explosive shot. Here's high rank Molten Tigrex beaten in 1:22 with the God's Archipelago. Notice how after the initial "reload all" move that he switches from shot type to shot type, building up status before unloading a bunch of crag and clust. Of course the clust shots are a bad idea in group hunts, but the status and crag shots are always good.
What in the worlds that was funny and cool at the same time lol. It didn't get to move at all lol.

And hell, that was fast setting up all those bombs. Almost inhumanly fasts just how much dmg do bombs deal?

tuffy

What in the worlds that was funny and cool at the same time lol. It didn't get to move at all lol.

And hell, that was fast setting up all those bombs. Almost inhumanly fasts just how much dmg do bombs deal?
Notice he's got the Explosive Trapper skill which is a combination of Trap Master, Bombardier and (I think) Combination Pro. That's why the bomb/trap setup is lightning-fast and the bombs are doing more damage than usual.

I don't remember the exact bomb damage values offhand, but it is a fixed amount which ignores the monster's defense. They're very effective part breakers and SnS use them in their own crazy speedruns.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ancient Shard farming is just the worst. All I want is a Worn Greatsword. I have every other worn weapon. =/ I need the GS for Dalamadur. ;_;

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm having a load of trouble with Kecha Wacha (The first urgent quest). All I have is a bone kris blade with 126 attack and it takes forever to kill him. I've been hitting him and hitting him until either I finally die or the time goes down and he just wont die. Not really sure what to do, is there a better weapon to use or should I stick with this one and just keep upgrading it until he finally is manageable to kill?

Keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about the game so if you have any suggestions keep it simple.

Don't listen to people telling you to switch from Sword and Shield. Definitely experiment with other weapons, but SnS actually a pretty great weapon in this game and you can easily beat Kecha with it. You definitely want to try for one of the major upgrades like others have been saying though, with Seltas being the easy route. The higher sharpness and damage will help a ton.

How are you fighting with the SnS by the way? Your normal combo should be A+A then pull back on the slide pad while pressing A to do your charge attack. You can press X after if you have a clear shot for a nice, high slice, then go back into the combo, or roll out of danger. Pressing X+A too on approach is a good way to cover ground and get in. X+A is secretly one of the best attacks in the game too. If you use it below a low ledge, you will spring up and launch into the air, giving you mounting hits from below the monster. You can also use it to launch yourself off a cliff and you'll be able to land two mounting hits (one from the attack, another on the way down) quite often, making it one of the best mounting weapons.

And you're probably too early in the game to use it much, but the SnS allows the use of items without sheathing. This can be really handy for downing potions, setting traps, placing bombs and especially throwing things like flash bombs.

I'd give this video a quick watch. Even if you think you know the weapon inside and out, you'll probably learn a thing, or two. If you want to hop online later, I can hunt with you for a little bit and you can see how I handle the SnS myself.

Renoir

45-6255-2552-0114. 1234
Off work.. Baby sleeping , wifey sleeping...
Leggooo !
Hr4 spring cleaning lol

Edit: I got the cenataur + gore setup, I'm usually using GS and sns online and ls off line .. What would be the next generic armor upgrade ?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, fuck this, I can't do it anymore. Like 10 hours of farming and not a single Worn Greatsword. I've gotten tons of literally everything else, but no GS.

I mean, HOW? Fucking desire sensor is real.

Okay, fuck this, I can't do it anymore. Like 10 hours of farming and not a single Worn Greatsword. I've gotten tons of literally everything else, but no GS.

I get the feeling I'll go through the same thing for the phosgem now. Four randos have already gotten theirs in the two hours since i started farming.

Also, what does kinsect stamina do exactly? Is it how far it flies or something?

Since you gotta be g crown, you might as well...
Guess I see some Apex monsters in my future.

Are you doing high rank harvest tours at the mountain? I was reading that it's a good place to get them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Are you doing high rank harvest tours at the mountain? I was reading that it's a good place to get them.

Yes, and I've gotten tons of Ancient Shards. That's not the problem. The problem is I haven't gotten a single GS from any of those shards. Ugh.

Like, this is one of the more bullshit parts of the game. I don't mind grinding or farming for something I want. As long as that grinding is FUN. Like when I needed a Phosgem, fighting Shagaru is fun. Or when I needed a Jho gem. Fighting Jho is fun. Spending 10 hours mining ISN'T FUN. Christ.

It's RNG as to whether you get an Ancient Shard at a mining point or not. Then it's a FURTHER RNG as to what weapon you get from the shard. It's bullshit.

Leezard

I get the feeling I'll go through the same thing for the phosgem now. Four randos have already gotten theirs in the two hours since i started farming.

Also, what does kinsect stamina do exactly? Is it how far it flies or something?
Stamina affects how many times you can give the bug a command before it has to return to you.

Pila

I like to think that I'm a decent player so I'm kinda ashamed to tell my fellow hunters that a slow monster like Akantor totally destroyed me in Advanced: Stand Tall. =(

Man, it's a shame loosing to such a slow POS, everything was predictable but it was my very first time with the sucker, gonna retry today.

Can I avoid its deadly "ray" if I crouch in that low hollow in the middle of the arena? I had maybe 80% health and that fucking attack instakilled me from a very great distance, that's rude monster.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I like to think that I'm a decent player so I'm kinda ashamed to tell my fellow hunters that a slow monster like Akantor totally destroyed me in Advanced: Stand Tall. =(

Man, it's a shame loosing to such a slow POS, everything was predictable but it was my very first time with the sucker, gonna retry today.

Can I avoid its deadly "ray" if I crouch in that low hollow in the middle of the arena? I had maybe 80% health and that fucking attack instakilled me from a very great distance, that's rude monster.
It's probably a better idea to learn the panic dive from him. Face away and run+dodge before it hits you. It's necessary for upcoming battles.

Cleaning up everything before I jump into G-Rank, just did the Caravaneer's Challenge in my HR (Zino) armour with no carts.
Kinda proud of that :D
That enraged Rajang is disgusting, the killing hammer blow to the face was soooo satisfying!
Gonna tackle the naked Deviljho quest later. Pray for me.

Pila

It's probably a better idea to learn the panic dive from him. Face away and run+dodge before it hits you. It's necessary for upcoming battles.

Guess you're right, superman move looks like a better idea. I'll be back dragging its corpse, that's for sure.

Yrael

Cleaning up everything before I jump into G-Rank, just did the Caravaneer's Challenge in my HR (Zino) armour with no carts.
Kinda proud of that :D
That enraged Rajang is disgusting, the killing hammer blow to the face was soooo satisfying!
Gonna tackle the naked Deviljho quest later. Pray for me.

I just did this too.

I started out planning to fight the monsters separately with smoke bombs, but that didn't work out so well - Rajang spotted me anyway. I then spent most of the first half of the battle running around like a headless chook getting Rajang to blast Zinogre until it keeled over. God, I hate that ape-bull thing with a passion (the blast of electricity that it can spew all the way across the stage is pure bullshit), but at least it's good for killing the other monster!

Time to enjoy my new rainbow suit.

I just did this too.

I started out planning to fight the monsters separately with smoke bombs, but that didn't work out so well - Rajang spotted me anyway. I then spent most of the first half of the battle running around like a headless chook getting Rajang to blast Zinogre until it keeled over. God, I hate that ape-bull thing with a passion (the blast of electricity that it can spew all the way across the stage is pure bullshit), but at least it's good for killing the other monster!

Time to enjoy my new rainbow suit.

Congrats!

I packed smoke bombs but both spotted me as soon as I entered the stage haha.
Farcasters were literal life savers on a few occasions.
I had a similar tactic for the whole first half of the fight: RUN!
I raged when that stupid electro blast hit me through the massive rock in the middle, but cheered a little when the same blast eventually killed Zino.

I'm going to fight Rajang again online later with four hunters and some traps just so I can beat the hell out of him for revenge :D

The rainbow effect changes the colour of my whole gunner armour, pretty cool.

Top Bottom