• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

They stack.

Breaking the head gets you a break reward.
Breaking the back gets you a break reward.
Capturing gets you X capture rewards.(If you don't have a skill that manipulates this, you get 2 drops guaranteed and a ~69% chance at a third).

Break and capture rewards are added in the bottom section of the rewards screen after finishing a quest. You'll get break rewards regardless of capturing, killing, or even if the monster gets away(if you still clear the quest).

So, if you break its head, its back and capture it, you get:

One 4% chance from the head drop.
One 1% chance from the back drop.
Two 4% chances from capture and a 69% chance at a third 4% chance, assuming you don't have a skill that affects this.

Ah okay that's good to hear. Thanks! Been farming pink rathian for a while by capturing it and was wondering if I was doing something wrong. Guess I just need more luck.

ShinNL

Posting because too lazy to click on subscribe button. I got a bit scared when I saw a lock on the previous thread.

MegaMelon

I'm never fighting rathalos/azure rathalos/silver rathalos/rathian/pink rathian/gold rathian again without gemming in negate poison. The fight becomes so much more easier without having to worry about poison.

Ken

I'm never fighting rathalos/azure rathalos/silver rathalos/rathian/pink rathian/gold rathian again without gemming in negate poison. The fight becomes so much more easier without having to worry about poison.

It'd be smarter to learn to avoid the actual talon flip attack because, ignoring the poison, it does a ton of damage upfront anyways.

The heat-seeking missile talon attack though is dumb.

Shengar

It'd be smarter to learn to avoid the actual talon flip attack because, ignoring the poison, it does a ton of damage upfront anyways.

Your weapon drawn while they about to launch heat-seeking poison talon, and you most likely to get combo'd next.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

It's purple gypercos you need that for, not the rathalos/rathian line.

tuffy

Barely beat Frenzied Brachydios. And my next mission is frenzied Deviljho. Fuck My Life D:
I don't think you'll have much trouble if you've ever tackled a Deviljho before. Whereas it seems like Frenzied Brachy sprouted all sorts of new moves, Deviljho was pretty much the same as before. I went it to it expecting the worst but it all went pretty smoothly.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I don't think you'll have much trouble if you've ever tackled a Deviljho before. Whereas it seems like Frenzied Brachy sprouted all sorts of new moves, Deviljho was pretty much the same as before. I went it to it expecting the worst but it all went pretty smoothly.

Yep, beat it first try.

Brachy is sick, though. Urgh.

I suppose it doesn't help that I use gunlance. Feels like a terrible weapon for brachy - sometimes the punches go around the shield, even.

Mupod

Holy shit handicraft +7

...and recoil+5. Why has every good handicraft charm I've gotten come with a gunner skill?

Anura

It's actually really easy to dodge. You can simply roll strait under it by rolling towards them.

Shiina

I thought Devlijhos weren't that bad but then I met a Savage one. I ran out of Dungbombs.

jorgejjvr

Okay! So I made some new armor and I was wondering what you guys would think! The skills are as follows:

Latent Power +2
Sharpness +1
Challenger +1
Speed sharpening
Antivirus
Benediction (Health items heal more and sometimes decreases damage taken)
Fire Res -20 (Can be negated by eating for resistance)

What do you guys think? Also, though I have a vague idea about it, what exactly does Latent Power +2 do?

-Alternis

Edit: I'd imagine this is a good and general set for fighting Apex monsters.

tuffy

I thought Devlijhos weren't that bad but then I met a Savage one. I ran out of Dungbombs.
I remember going through about half, and I was fighting him ranged. He really does love to pounce.

Going to remember to bring a lot of dung and bombs casings if I ever need to hunt him again.

All right, so I just started G Rank and I'm mega overwhelmed. Everything hits like a truck - way worse than the LR to HR switch.
Outside of "git gud" and not getting hit (hello Gamefaqs), what are some good early armor sets I can be going for? Looking for both Gunner and Blademaster. I have 300,000z and I'm ready to spend it.

Ken

Okay! So I made some new armor and I was wondering what you guys would think! The skills are as follows:

Latent Power +2
Sharpness +1
Challenger +1
Speed sharpening
Antivirus

What do you guys think? Also, though I have a vague idea about it, what exactly does Latent Power +2 do?

-Alternis

I think you'll combust at the sight of fire.

Anura

Latent Power +2
Sharpness +1
Challenger +1
Speed sharpening
Antivirus

-Alternis

That looks really similar to my Latent power +2 challenger +2 sharpness +1 elemental attack up and element crits.

Anyways latent power will activate after a certain amount of time has passed or you have been dealt enough damage. It increases your affinity by 50 and makes your stamina decrease slower. A word of warning though... Challenger will override it when it activates and I would recommend at least having +2 if you want them both. I mostly have latent+2 as a "because I could" skill on my set

Shiina

Latent Power +2
Sharpness +1
Challenger +1
Speed sharpening
Antivirus

-Alternis

Assuming you play IG:
Challenger +2 is a much better skill than Latent Power +2 (and they don't stack) so always try to get that before LP. Latent Power +2 gives you 50% affinity and something else (I think lower stamina consumption) if you get hit by monster for a ton of HP or stay in one area for a duration of time (5+ min I believe).
In comparison Challenger +2 gives you AuXL (this is huge) and 20% affinity whenever a monster is enraged, which is pretty much always.
Speed Sharpening is nice but you'd rather want Razor Sharp instead.
The rest of the skills are neat but nothing to write home about I guess.

I think you'd fare better with this set. Since you don't need artillery you can replace the head with the Zinogre X one like I did. If you don't have the Miralis part trading unlocked (Act of Gog) you can also use Rathalos X legs instead.

With that set you can get Honed Blade, Razor Sharp, Challenger+2 and have 3-6 free slots depending on how many your weapon has. You can get even more out of it with a good charm (I only have Spirit+5 OOO) I have different sets for different occasions and they're gemmed for Bombardier (for my Blast glaive), Speed Sharpening, Latent Power+2 (for when I don't need any of the other skills) and Tremor Res (against Rajang). You can also gem in Divine Protection which I sometimes use in combination with Defender (Hi) and def honing on my poison glaive against the really nasty hitting stuff like 140 B.Tigrex.

VICI0US

All right, so I just started G Rank and I'm mega overwhelmed. Everything hits like a truck - way worse than the LR to HR switch.
Outside of "git gud" and not getting hit (hello Gamefaqs), what are some good early armor sets I can be going for? Looking for both Gunner and Blademaster. I have 300,000z and I'm ready to spend it.

purple hermitaur is a really solid early G rank bowgun set.

pierce up, recoil down +1, and guts (prevents nasty one shots) by default with 9 slots to expand

Pierate

Really Shagaru Magala? Gets me with a cheap combo and then I literally come back and kill it with one swing of my greatsword, not even charged. Oh well, atleast the damn thing died.

Mupod

I should know better than to join rooms labeled 'looking for experts'. In other news, I've never seen a quintuple cart before. Two of them died early and then all 3 managed to get run over by molten tigrex at the same time.

What sort of skills should I be looking to get as a Hammer user? I have most of the Velocidrome set right now, but is this useful to me?

deim0s

So I picked up a the New 3DS XL and transfered my stuff into it... Wow that framerate with MH! The only gripe is that the R button is not too "clicky" that I'm messing up my GP a couple or times. Anyone have the same on theirs?

Probably just need to adjust and accustom myself that the throw of the R is much shorter than the X button.

What sort of skills should I be looking to get as a Hammer user? I have most of the Velocidrome set right now, but is this useful to me?

Probably still to early to worry about it, the skills on that armor are good for use by all blade master weapons. Load em up with attack gems.

tuffy

I was surprised to see some of those 6 star Caravan hunts go away after you do them. I needed a couple more common high rank Kushala Daora parts but "Wicked Wings" wasn't available anymore.

So I decided to head online and brave the randoms. I figured I'd pierce shot him because he seems like a reasonably long target. That meant staying a few rolls back to stay in optimal range. But in the middle of the fight I got bowled over by... something... and sent flying. There aren't any Rhenos on the Seaway and there weren't any Konchus in the room, so I wondered WTF happened for a moment. Turns out I'd been lance-charged while bowgunning.

Was one of the weirdest things I'd seen yet.

Mupod

slowly getting close to my 8 molten tigrex shards as randoms triple cart every time, at least I'm getting them from shinies and tails

Volcynika

Just unlocked Wystone stuff in single player, bu a frenzied Brachydios is next? Oy! Need to start upgrading some of my weapons.

purple hermitaur is a really solid early G rank bowgun set.

pierce up, recoil down +1, and guts (prevents nasty one shots) by default with 9 slots to expand

Oh good call, that one looks great. I have some good pierce bowguns I've been investing time in on the side (Rath Soul has Normal Up, so that's been my big focus thus far). Recoil Down is nice, and guts will be amazing versus them big ol hits.

tuffy

Is that the g rank one you're fighting?
It is, for the final M. Tigrex HBG upgrade I'd imagine.

If all one needed was the Dire Blastheart, I'd consider breaking his face for the 3% chance, ending via subquest and hoping for the best. The God's Archipelago might be able to get that done pretty fast.

onionfrog

At +25 in expert my skill activation only shows critical eye +3.
Is there no critical eye +4 skill?
Just Critical Eye 1(+10), 2(+15), 3(+20) and God. (+30)?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Just unlocked Wystone stuff in single player, bu a frenzied Brachydios is next? Oy! Need to start upgrading some of my weapons.

Currently at that wall myself. The combination of frenzied Brachydios + Sergios is driving me insane.

Mupod

If all one needed was the Dire Blastheart, I'd consider breaking his face for the 3% chance, ending via subquest and hoping for the best. The God's Archipelago might be able to get that done pretty fast.

Funny thing is I had 3 of those before I got the shards I needed. The group I found was killing it in 6 minutes easily so I stuck with them for a while and now I can probably make another weapon. The hammer looks REALLY good.

Any of you guys taking a break once Bloodborne is out?

Yeah. MH is one of those games I can easily go back to anytime. I'll be playing it on the easter weekend when I'm at my parents' too.

tuffy

At +25 in expert my skill activation only shows critical eye +3.
Is there no critical eye +4 skill?
Just Critical Eye 1(+10), 2(+15), 3(+20) and God. (+30)?
That's right, strange as that is. 20% affinity boost for 20 skill points, 30% for 30 points, but nothing in-between.
I might slow down my monster hunting when Etrian Mystery Dungeon hits, but not Bloodborne.

jorgejjvr

Question. I got my IG Anubis to the max, even honed and everything. But I can still upgrade the kinsect. What's the point? I have max speed already, and the only nectar I can give it makes my speed go down, which I don't want

I wonder why breaking his face = heart chance? :p

Tom_Cody

Any reccomendations for my first high rank gunner armor set? Bow to be specific. Or does it even matter?

I have HR unlocked but I'm finishing up the LR caravan stuff for now. I just have a few 6 star caravan quests to go before I transition over to 7-star / high rank and the first thing I want to do once I start those missions is farm a set of armor. I will be sad to see my Gore set go, but at least we had a good run...

By default I'm going to go for the Crab armor (I can't remember the name of the monster) but I'm just wondering if there is a different one I should know about before I take on the commitment of killing one monster 10+ times to get their armor.

I know I am. Its good timing too, since I've mostly finished what I wanted to do. The only thing I would want to do is grind out some arena quests, and maybe max out a few weapons, but nothing that would keep me attached to the game.

Top Bottom