• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Monster Hunter World is the worst thing ever because it means that there is no way in hell we ever get a new dragons dogma game. 😔

Id blame DD Online for that. Since Capcom has shown that they are not too keen in creating something new in the same eco system which would take users away from a "paid service" game. Had always felt that was the main reason why MH never really returned to the consoles for a long time due to Frontier being on them last gen and this gen.

Now that DD Online is out really dont see Capcom doing something new for a while. Which is why they are giving us the PS4 remaster instead of DD + DA.

This is talking from the standpoint with what they have been doing with Japan.

Very smart move trotting all these well known Monster Hunter youtubers and other community people out here to reassure people that its still a Monster Hunter game.

Capcom showing us footage lets us dissect it and create our own message. Capcom showing their "Influencers" and having them disseminate info to us lets them control the message.

Except that they didn't "invite" anyone. They have open showings at E3 that are available to everyone at the expo.

lyrick

Except that they didn't "invite" anyone. They have open showings at E3 that are available to everyone at the expo.

Oh really. Closed door showings are just open to the public now? Joe Blow public just walks in signs an NDA and promises not to reveal anything that the Publisher asks them not to?

Oh really. Closed door showings are just open to the public now? Joe Blow public just walks in signs an NDA and promises not to reveal anything that the Publisher asks them not to?

They aren't closed door showings? Like, random people from the public have actually seen these. E3 is open to the public now so it's not a press session. I mean, we've had loads of impressions from a ton of people who aren't press or youtubers.

JP_

Banned

I went to e3 in 2012 (dev, not media) and saw a private demo of MGS:R. Anybody could get in line and you were lead to a private room. I wasn't allowed to video tape.

Sometimes it will be media-only and invite only, but not always.

Boogiepop

Oof. Again I come back to not really liking what I'm hearing about monsters fighting each other. In ProJared's video he said the hit from a big old Rathalos attack was like 3000 versus 30 from a great sword, which is insane! I want to fight the monsters, not sit back and just watch some other monster do it for me! Remains my biggest concern for the game, followed by the lesser bit of just plain not liking the design of either of the large monsters or those mantle things at all, which just look awful to me, but I can live with the game being (ironically) ugly to me in that way, as long as I like how it plays.

Well, that, and I really hope tracking is fairly minimalist. Like, if it's just at worst replacing the effort you have to put in to run around a map the first time that you don't know where a monster spawns, then whatever, but it really doesn't sound like anything I'd want to waste much time on for each hunt.

Salaadin

Im not referring to the demo. Im referring to Capcoms PR guys inviting them onto Capcom Unity stream to discuss the game. Positioning yourself next to some of the most popular MH youtubers to reassure people about World was smart, imo.

Im not referring to the demo. Im referring to Capcoms PR guys inviting them onto Capcom Unity stream to discuss the game. Positioning yourself next to some of the most popular MH youtubers to reassure people about World was smart, imo.

Right, haven't seen the Unity stuff. Only seen the billion other good impressions from everyone who'd already seen it, so just assumed those were what you were talking about.

crinale

From Glixel interview..

Ryozo Tsujimoto: This is the next main Monster Hunter game. Our Osaka team is working on it.

Okay so this pretty much confirms the entire team is main MH team. I hope this shuts down the "same lead does not mean same staff" bullshit

Ben from EZA, a fan of the series, is checking out the MH World demo right now as well so we should be getting another set of impressions soon.

But it looks like the pattern is fairly evident now, this is clearly an evolutionary game designed for veterans that also hopes to expand the reach of the series.

Stop reaching. If you think like this then better not read ANY impressions by big Youtubers on ANY game.

Some may feel that didn't feel like true "Tigrex" but the reason is Kojipro never got any data from Capcom, not even character model. They tried to replicate Tigrex just by playing Monster Hunter Portable and watching the screen. So in that regard I think they did the best they could do.

Damn this is awesome if true. Both Los and Tigrex fights were funny, not great but eh, nice fan service.

But yeah MGS is far more popular in the West than MH ever was so the comparison is weak. A numbered MGS will always do better than a seemingly spin-off whereas this doesn't apply to MH since it's mainline game isn't popular to begin with in the West.

I heard they were all carrying bats and suggestively tapping them against youtuber knees at any sign of doubt.

Ben from EZA, a fan of the series, is checking out the MH World demo right now as well so we should be getting another set of impressions soon.

But it looks like the pattern is fairly evident now, this is clearly an evolutionary game designed for veterans that also hopes to expand the reach of the series.

"The world will finally understand..."

TheOasis

Oof. Again I come back to not really liking what I'm hearing about monsters fighting each other. In ProJared's video he said the hit from a big old Rathalos attack was like 3000 versus 30 from a great sword, which is insane! I want to fight the monsters, not sit back and just watch some other monster do it for me! Remains my biggest concern for the game, followed by the lesser bit of just plain not liking the design of either of the large monsters or those mantle things at all, which just look awful to me, but I can live with the game being (ironically) ugly to me in that way, as long as I like how it plays.

Well, that, and I really hope tracking is fairly minimalist. Like, if it's just at worst replacing the effort you have to put in to run around a map the first time that you don't know where a monster spawns, then whatever, but it really doesn't sound like anything I'd want to waste much time on for each hunt.

Some of my first thoughts on MHW after watching the trailer in the Sony E3 press conference were questions on how exactly the MH devs were going to approach the aspects of the game that you've mentioned in your post. For me, these are crucial elements that will either make or break it for me.

How long does the game require me to engage in the act of tracking a monster until I can actually find it? Previous games let you bypass a lot this as monsters consistently spawned in the same one or two areas, heck you didn't even always need to paintball a monster to know which area it was going to run off too as the games gave you cues. Personally, I hate trying to find a monster for extended periods of time as I'd rather be, you know, fighting it instead.

Also, are there still Dung Bombs or other similar items that I can use to make rathalos and other invading monsters fuck off and not play the game for me? Will all monsters fight each other or can they still team up on me like they have done up until now. Finally, can I ignore most environmental interaction and just straight up fight a monster with my weapon and moveset?

So many questions but so little answers...

Defuser

I think thats the price when you want to have seamless zones plus the fact that the map would be larger than the old MH. Tracking absolutely needed if you want to find monsters on a largemap.

xviper

looks like it's a Monster Hunter game alright, no big changes made which is awesome because this masterpiece doesn't need any changes

i don't know how to feel about lock-on, i guess i will never know if it was good or bad until i try it

best thing they added is the Damage number, it's so exciting to craft a new weapon that you have been farming for hours to get and see how much damage it does, and thank god they didn't include Health bar for monsters, its a glorious moment to see the Monster tired and guessing when the fucker will finally go down

and i'm VERY glad they didn't include Underwater combat, it was god damn awful in MH3U

looks like MH world will be my 2018 GOTY even with the presence of RDR2

cannot wait, hopefully they delay it to summer 2018, because i don't want MH to come out while i'm having exams

i hope they didn't change anything about the combat, it's amazing and doesn't need changing

i haven't read that much but was there any mentioning of breaking parts of the monster and collect them like Horns and Claws ? and did they talk about the Ranking system ?

Shin

Banned
What do you do in this game, beside hunt monsters and to what purpose?
Just the general idea of the type of game it is, cheers.

I don't know if it had been known previously but on the Giant Bomb at Night show john ricciardi just said that 8-4 is helping out with the localization .

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
rdAFUar.png

They may sound like theme park names, but each trademark seems to imply they're video games related. It's difficult to tell if these are names for individual games or content related to Monster Hunter: World.

Description for all five reads:

Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software; Computer games in the form of cartridges, cassettes, discs or tapes; Video game cartridges; Downloadable game software; Downloadable computer games; Electronic game programs for mobile phones and smart phones; Electronic game software for mobile phones and smart phones; Downloadable game program for playing on mobile phones and smart phones; Downloadable game software for playing on mobile phones and smart phones; Screen saver software and wallpaper software; Downloadable screen saver software and wallpaper software for mobile phones and smart phones; Downloadable graphics and music via a global computer network; Downloadable graphics, music and ring tones for mobile phones and smart phones

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Providing computer games to others that may be accessed via the Internet; Providing non-downloadable Internet games to others; Providing electronic games for mobile phones and smart phones via the Internet; Providing images, motion pictures, video games, music videos and music via the Internet; Providing images, motion pictures, video games, music videos and music through communication via mobile phones and smart phones; Electronic publishing services, namely online publication of non-downloadable text and graphic works of others featuring computer and video games and strategies thereof; Providing on-line non-downloadable newsletters in the field of computer games and video games; Providing on-line non-downloadable electronic publications and documentation, namely, articles and reports featuring computer game strategy and video game strategy; Organization of on-line non-downloadable entertainment competitions for others, namely, video gaming competitions, board game competitions, card game competitions, musical competitions, image and video competitions, drawing competitions and painting competitions; Production of motion pictures in the form of films, video tapes and optical disks; Providing on-line interactive multiplayer games; Providing online information services relating to entertainment, namely, movies, music and games; Providing information about movies, games and music through communication via mobile phones and smart phones

Filed on June 9th, just went public.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dunno if its been mentioned in the thread before but 8-4 is working on the game, John briefly talked about it on the GB E3 stream a few minutes ago. Didn't say anything else but thought it was interesting anyway.

Defuser

Like you said. Mainly hunting monsters. There no story/plot. You kill, make armor/weapon and kill some more.

deim0s

Some of my first thoughts on MHW after watching the trailer in the Sony E3 press conference were questions on how exactly the MH devs were going to approach the aspects of the game that you've mentioned in your post. For me, these are crucial elements that will either make or break it for me.

How long does the game require me to engage in the act of tracking a monster until I can actually find it? Previous games let you bypass a lot this as monsters consistently spawned in the same one or two areas, heck you didn't even always need to paintball a monster to know which area it was going to run off too as the games gave you cues. Personally, I hate trying to find a monster for extended periods of time as I'd rather be, you know, fighting it instead.

Also, are there still Dung Bombs or other similar items that I can use to make rathalos and other invading monsters fuck off and not play the game for me? Will all monsters fight each other or can they still team up on me like they have done up until now. Finally, can I ignore most environmental interaction and just straight up fight a monster with my weapon and moveset?

So many questions but so little answers...

I think it's safe to expect that these will be pretty much the same (and i hope they do):

Monsters would still be spawned into their starting areas and go in a route (area 6, 1, 2, 5, 6) like in all games.

I saw a clip with the hunter using his launcher/grappling hook to spew something at the smaller ludtroth-type monsters, plus throwables (i.e. rocks) are still in, so we have something there.

Monsters teaming up with you will probably be a random state/behavior or more like for a few attacks then back to you (probably visibility as well, the ghilly mantles and stuff).

JP_

Banned

Kill monsters, wear them as armor so you can kill bigger monsters, rinse and repeat. But the real joy comes from mastery. Few games are as intrinsically rewarding as Monster Hunter.

Raven117

So long as there are long thoughtful fights with preparation and more about positioning than twitch reflexes, then they can give me whatever game they want and I will buy it day one.

I'll also try and explain to my friends why the game is brilliant in a very hard to explain way....

Very glad they didn't include a health bar. The pure euphoria of fighting a monster for awhile.... not knowing if you are winning, see it limping, it lashes out in a last ditch effort, you have no more potions, and you get the last swing..... boom! The music! The camera, the kill!!!!

You just have to play it to get it

I saw the demo today, ask me anything.
Not sure how much attention you were paying to the damage numbers, but did you catch what the scale of environmental damage and monster vs monster damage was when compared to a hunter attack?

What one youtuber said was that they did around 10-15x an average hit.

Youre delusional if you think they didn't brought MH on ps4 pc and goddamn xbox on an attempt to appeal to the west. They could have easily continued to churn out cheaper to develop entries on portable hardware for easy millions on the japanese market. And yet here we are, a much more costly to develop game with no local coop on xbox, a console with zero sales in japan, on pc which japan is incredibly niche and ps4 which has been lagging behind on that market. But no, not made for the west!

I don't know about you, but I'd be concerned for the long-term if the majority of my Golden Goose's sales came from a small market that is constantly shrinking each year.

Anyone have that West/Japan sales split chart? 35~% West is... Financially concerning for what is supposed to be the big moneymaker.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I saw the demo today, ask me anything.

-Do we know the controls for the game?
-Were transitions between biomes believable or gradual/sensible rather than being abrupt?
-Did the ecosystems seem alive?
-Were there a large variety of creatures?

Ratrat

Its like the idea of playing a game for fun gameplay is foreign to some people. But even here, MH could do with less stupid gathering quests and grinding.

Chindogg

rdAFUar.png

They may sound like theme park names, but each trademark seems to imply they're video games related. It's difficult to tell if these are names for individual games or content related to Monster Hunter: World.

Description for all five reads:

Filed on June 9th, just went public.

Dear lord please don't be DLC.

Top Bottom