• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Khezu

Speaking of the best weapon Switch Ax.

My biggest hope is they buff the crap out of Axe mode.

It has some situational uses, but not really lol.

Speaking of the best weapon Switch Ax.

My biggest hope is they buff the crap out of Axe mode.

It has some situational uses, but not really lol.
As a filthy SWAxer, I agree. Other than tail chopping on extremely tall monsters and the occasional opportunity to lay down a good X-pattern smackdown, the axe mode is too weak.

I'm also a dirty LSer and a casul IGer. Parties HATE him!

Haunted

Monsters properly (and not just accidentally) fighting each other has been my wish ever since the very first time I've played a Monster Hunter game. It's going to be awesome.

Orayn

Did you see the UI? Wondering if items can be assigned to dpad shortcuts and if that item wheel they talked about allows you to quickly craft assigned items.

UI is mostly the same. Minimap in bottom left and controls in upper left now. Added a separate item selector for aimable/throwable stuff. There was an item shortcut system where you could quickly pick items with the right stick.

I've never seen any media of a Monster Hunter game much less have I ever played one, but I came away having watched this trailer thinking the animation was absolutely stunning. It has this visceral, almost stop-motion quality to it. I could not take my eyes away from the monsters. I don't know how scripted this trailer was but it felt like I was just watching an animation that was hand-crafted, as opposed to real-time reacting to the player's actions or other monsters, in particular when the fight occurred.

Orayn

Not sure how much attention you were paying to the damage numbers, but did you catch what the scale of environmental damage and monster vs monster damage was when compared to a hunter attack?

What one youtuber said was that they did around 10-15x an average hit.

Big hits from Greatsword were like 50-60, horizontal were in the teens. Not sure about environmental.

-Do we know the controls for the game?
-Were transitions between biomes believable or gradual/sensible rather than being abrupt?
-Did the ecosystems seem alive?
-Were there a large variety of creatures?

Controls are 90% the same as 3DS.

Additions:
L3: Sprint
R2: Draw weapon
L2: Grappling hook and throwable items
D-pad: Item selection and other shortcuts

Transitions are tunnel-ish. Fairly natural.

Good variety of creatures.

Orayn

How exactly does the fireflies work? How do you control what they seek out? I wasn't sure of that from the trailer.

They basically replace both paintballs and psychoserum. You scan enough footprints, drool, etc. and the scout flies tell you where a specific boss is located.

Grudy

They basically replace both paintballs and psychoserum. You scan enough footprints, drool, etc. and the scout flies tell you where a specific boss is located.

So do you actually have to find the footprints/drool yourself or do you just press a button and it's highlighted ala witcher sense?

Did you have any input on how the grappling hook affects the flow of battle?

The demos were amazing.

I actually watched the theater live demo twice at E3.

The first time they lead the Trex looking thing (Ansomething) to the Rathalos and the Rathalos freaking picked it up and dropped it off a cliff. The team then just tried to take down the Rathalos but failed in the time alotted.

My second viewing the Rathalos and trex kept fighting until they both broke a dam and the water that poured out washed both monsters and the player down the cliff. The two monsters continued fighting each other until the trex got really hurt and tired and tried to run back to its lair visibly hurt and limping. The team of players then chased it and killed it.

All throughout these monsters where destroying trees and other parts of the environment as they tussled.

The variety in what can happen was just astounding.

Orayn

So do you actually have to find the footprints/drool yourself or do you just press a button and it's highlighted ala witcher sense?

Did you have any input on how the grappling hook affects the flow of battle?

They exist on the map and get highlighted when you get close to them. You interact with them and they increase a gauge that tells you where the monster is.

Grappling is cool. You can use it to pull down environmental stuff or escape certain situations.

jahasaja

I've never seen any media of a Monster Hunter game much less have I ever played one, but I came away having watched this trailer thinking the animation was absolutely stunning. It has this visceral, almost stop-motion quality to it. I could not take my eyes away from the monsters. I don't know how scripted this trailer was but it felt like I was just watching an animation that was hand-crafted, as opposed to real-time reacting to the player's actions or other monsters, in particular when the fight occurred.

That is why we love monster hunter :). No other game has so cool monster animations.

The demos were amazing.

I actually watched the theater live demo twice at E3.

The first time they lead the Trex looking thing (Ansomething) to the Rathalos and the Rathalos freaking picked it up and dropped it off a cliff. The team then just tried to take down the Rathalos but failed in the time alotted.

My second viewing the Rathalos and trex kept fighting until they both broke a dam and the water that poured out washed both monsters and the player down the cliff. The two monsters continued fighting each other until the trex got really hurt and tired and tried to run back to its lair visibly hurt and limping. The team of players then chased it and killed it.

All throughout these monsters where destroying trees and other parts of the environment as they tussled.

The variety in what can happen was just astounding.

Are those the two only 'big' monsters of the demo?

BBboy20

Yeah, Monster Hunter has only been recently became second place in having the most advanced creatures around.

Are those the two only 'big' monsters of the demo?

Well the Trex is the goal of the mission they were on. But in the demo they were obviously purposely taking him by the rathalos nest to show off the interactions.

But in that one demo you saw 4 unique big species interact and 5 if you count these baby versions of one of them. Because it all starts with this lizard/snake type monster that literally kills and swallows another herbivore type monster whole like a snake.

He then takes it back to his nest to regurgitate it to his pack.

In one of my demos the babies would come out climbing down from the trees and out of bushes sometimes to attack the trex that had body slammed their momma on the ground. They got thrown around like the velociraptors in JP when they try to fight the Trex. The ones that managed to survive then scampered in all directions to flee including up the trunks of trees.

I wonder how prevalent monster fights are going to be. I imagine you won't be able to cheese every mission by having Papa Rathalos clean up your mess every time.

At the same time, the strategy of luring larger monsters into your prey's arena could be good fun. I'm imagining bringing multiple smaller monsters to damage the big one and taking it out once it's been weakened.

Knowing who's developing this one, I trust they're not going to ruin the difficulty of the game. I bet this demo was specifically designed to showcase every new system they could. Many missions may not have a godmonster to carry your prey away.

Orayn

I wonder how prevalent monster fights are going to be. I imagine you won't be able to cheese every mission by having Papa Rathalos clean up your mess every time.

At the same time, the strategy of luring larger monsters into your prey's arena could be good fun. I'm imagining bringing multiple smaller monsters to damage the big one and taking it out once it's been weakened.

Knowing who's developing this one, I trust they're not going to ruin the difficulty of the game. I bet this demo was specifically designed to showcase every new system they could. Many missions may not have a godmonster to carry your prey away.

The demo guys had to try pretty hard to get Rathalos involved and even then Rath eventually left. I wouldn't worry too much.

Well the Trex is the goal of the mission they were on. But in the demo they were obviously purposely taking him by the rathalos nest to show off the interactions.

But in that one demo you saw 4 unique big species interact and 5 if you count these baby versions of one of them. Because it all starts with this lizard/snake type monster that literally kills and swallows another herbivore type monster whole like a snake.

He then takes it back to his nest to regurgitate it to his pack.

In one of my demos the babies would come out climbing down from the trees and out of bushes sometimes to attack the trex that had body slammed their momma on the ground. They got thrown around like the velociraptors in JP when they try to fight the Trex. The ones that managed to survive then scampered in all directions to flee including up the trunks of trees.

Yo!! The monster interactions sounds insane!

popyea

I'm not even sure how viable it would be. At least in the older games, if Deviljho or something comes in and wrecks the target monster, you can't easily carve it anyway. That could be different in World though. Like if you no longer get sent back to the hub after completing a mission.

The demo guys had to try pretty hard to get Rathalos involved and even they Rath eventually left. I wouldn't worry too much.
Not worried in the slightest (these guys have been making MH for years, they're not gonna fuck it up when so much is on the line). That definitely sounds good.

If they make it a challenge to trick monsters into doing your dirty work, it could be a fun alternative style of play. As long as the effort/reward ratio is similar to a good ol' fashioned brawl, I'd be happy with being able to completely kill off hunts with bigger monsters.

So there was a french interview posted on Reddit saying the PC release was a month after the console release. Has this been debunked or proven yet?

So there was a french interview posted on Reddit saying the PC release was a month after the console release. Has this been debunked or proven yet?

Where ? I'm French.
Edit: Nvm found it. It's not an interview, it's their own conclusions/understanding. Keep in mind Jeuxvideo.com happens to make some mistakes with the news treatment.

Top Bottom