• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Game needs:
Aloy outfit with her spear as a lance and her bow.
Kratos outfit. Instead of proper helmet is just his beard and facepaint. Have his dual axes as dual blades and his axe and shield from Dad of War as Sword and Shield.
Nathan Drake outfit for Palico.
Clicker outfit for Palico.
Knack outfit for Palico.
Knack armour.
Knack based weapon for each weapon type.
Knack as a small monster.
Knack as a large monster.
Knack as an entire map.
Mode where you play as Knack.
Knack.

Raide

Could you imagine a Halo themed DLC for MH?

Energy Sword + Kig Yar Point Defense Gauntlet (Jackel shield) would make an excellent Sword & Shield weapon, maybe with Arbiter-themed armor sets...

I won't get my hopes up, but it could be seriously awesome.

That would be awesome.

Capcom did it with Nintendo properties, would be more than happy for MS to have their things and Sony to have their things.

Murkas

PS4 already seemed like the best version anyway since it's the only one that will let you play online with godlike Japanese hunters.

Haven't played with Japanese players since Demon's Souls Asian version.

Looking forward to getting hate mail filled with random English swearing and Japanese characters in.

Sony DLC will probably be random Sony character armour and weapons. I don't remember skills in the tie in sets ever being good bar the Fire Emblem Lodestar set in Generations.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, this is the first time I've been interested in a MH since the first one which I couldn't get into.

Watching the trailer sorta reminded me of an MMO.
To anyone who plays FFXIV, are the boss battles similar to FFXIV's trial but real-time action?

Salaadin

Very smart move trotting all these well known Monster Hunter youtubers and other community people out here to reassure people that its still a Monster Hunter game.

Kyoufu

Hmm, this is the first time I've been interested in a MH since the first one which I couldn't get into.

To anyone who plays FFXIV, are the boss battles similar to FFXIV's trial but real-time action?

It's nothing like FFXIV. It's more like Souls than FFXIV in terms of combat, with deliberate and methodical attacks.

World just makes the map more immersive with more to do in each area and without loading times.

Vuze

Shame they changed the name, similar to Peace Walker this will probably negatively effect sales potential.
They mentioned on stream that they changed it so new players are not deterred by the high number (as in “Oh, this is already entry #5, should I even bother with it as a newbie?”).

Ridley327

If they showed the theater demo footage they wouldnt have too

I wonder why its being held back

Yeah, this is a really weird strategy. I'm all for getting the most visible faces in the community on board, but it seems to me that showing the game would have been a hell of a lot cheaper for them.

Must resist "so this is how they're spending the MHXX localization budget" joke...

JP_

Banned
Is not a dream that World can surpass 3DS titles. The game will be in 3 systems and the franchise is much better known than 6 years ago.

Yeah, the best selling Monster Hunter game was actually the last PSP game. Not sure where people are getting this "Capcom owes Monster Hunter's success to 3DS" idea. 3DS continued the momentum that was built on PSP.

thefil

I love both those games but yeah, not very similar. You do have to dodge enemy attacks but you have to learn for yourself the tells and ranges of them, and you have less mobility. I guess the thing they have most in common is that positioning is a huge deal.

lyrick

Yeah, this is a really weird strategy. I'm all for getting the most visible faces in the community on board, but it seems to me that showing the game would have been a hell of a lot cheaper for them.

Must resist "so this is how they're spending the MHXX localization budget" joke...

Capcom showing us footage lets us dissect it and create our own message. Capcom showing their "Influencers" and having them disseminate info to us lets them control the message.

Ridley327

Capcom showing us footage lets us dissect it and create oour own message, Capcom showing their "Influencers" and having them disseminate info to us lets them control the message.

But if it's as "nothing to worry about here" as the personalities are suggesting, isn't it logical to assume that we too would come to the same conclusion?

JP_

Banned
Please don't compare Metal Gear with Monster a
Hunter.

u8rEAwl.jpg

Kyoufu

Get feedback to make tweaks before publicy showing everyone?

Itll be playable at Gamescom, which is August 23rd.

It also allows the media sites reporting on what they saw to get clicks before they show it off to the public on social media networks.

I'm guessing they'll show new stuff at the stream on the 20th. If not, then Gamescom it is.

lyrick

But if it's as "nothing to worry about here" as the personalities are suggesting, isn't it logical to assume that we too would come to the same conclusion?

Depends on your personality, I guess.

To me - no, not at all. It's suspicious as fuck.

Salaadin

It also allows the media sites reporting on what they saw to get clicks before they show it off to the public on social media networks.

I'm guessing they'll show new stuff at the stream on the 20th. If not, then Gamescom it is.

I keep forgetting about that stream. Im hoping for gameplay footage there so we can mostly put these "not my monster hunter" arguments to rest.
Ehh, who am I kidding. They wont end.

Yeah, the best selling Monster Hunter game was actually the last PSP game. Not sure where people are getting this "Capcom owes Monster Hunter's success to 3DS" idea. 3DS continued the momentum that was built on PSP.

The worst part of the 3DS era was its exclusivity

3rd gen at least was multiplatform in a sense (in japan) and we ALMOST had Portable 3rd and 3rdHD localized here

I understand the arguments for what Nintendo apparently brought to the table but these backroom deals only hurt the consumer in the long run (assuming these rumors were ever real)

I guess what Im trying to say is that MH5 is the better path forward. WE break free of 3DS and we begin a multiplatform future

And this isnt the end for Switch and Nintendo unless they want to be content only having MH games in Japan.

Get feedback to make tweaks before publicy showing everyone?

Itll be playable at Gamescom, which is August 23rd.

Hmm this is a solid explanation actually

PSP and 3DS are portable systems. Some people are rightfully concerned that World will struggle to sell as well as entries on those two platforms.

But since that's Capcom's problem, not mine....bring on World. I'd much rather play MH on a console.

PSP and 3DS are portable systems. Some people are rightfully concerned that World will struggle to sell as well as entries on those two platforms.

But since that's Capcom's problem, not mine....bring on World. I'd much rather play MH on a console.

I think an online co op hunting game will do quite well in the west on the right platform

This is exactly the move they should have done a long time ago

remember the last 2 console games we got in the west were Tri and 3U

Im sure you know why those didnt do gangbusters for western online gamers

crinale

As for Japan exclusivity, quite a few Western games which are multiplat in Western world happen to be exclusive to PS4. Actually some Japanese third parties do that too. And yes all of those aren't published by Sony either. So that's not something uncommon.

Salaadin

Peace Walker is the reason I started playing Monster Hunter. You all might be hating but thats the game that turned me into a fan and Ill never forget it!

I think an online co op hunting game will do quite well in the west on the right platform

I think some people are concerned about its performance in Japan.

But like I said, whatever. I'm super excited for a new console Monster Hunter! This game is going to eat up all of my free time next year.

I really hope there isn't too much downtime in quests with the bigger areas. If it's not a gathering quest, the time between searching for a monster and fighting it felt just right, especially if you knew the area it always starts in. Hope they find that balance as they expand to console.

We really questioning the reasoning for closed door demos?

Obviously because the game is still in development and not everything is finalized. It's probably why we got the MH: World trailer that we did that doesn't show too much.

crinale

Some may feel that didn't feel like true "Tigrex" but the reason is Kojipro never got any data from Capcom, not even character model. They tried to replicate Tigrex just by playing Monster Hunter Portable and watching the screen. So in that regard I think they did the best they could do.

JP_

Banned
Depends on your personality, I guess.

To me - no, not at all. It's suspicious as fuck.

To me it just seems like a rigid media strategy. Seemed very similar to what they did with MH4.

Their first trailer tries to be more cinematic. It may use gameplay, but the goal is to sell the essence of Monster Hunter to people that don't already play the games (specifically, to people that don't already understand monster hunter mechanics). Without understanding how monhun actually plays, regular gameplay can just look like a regular action game -- people generally don't pay so much attention to video that they'd be able to understand how the combat is different than other games -- they just see monsters attacking and swords swinging. So instead, they sell the fantasy of monster hunter -- they try to convey what we feel while we play, but through video -- and that's why they sort of tell a story with the trailer.

It's probably a safe bet that even if monhun fans are bleh on the original trailer, they'll still get back on board when they see the classic gameplay they already know they love -- it'll make them forget about the first trailer (see MH4). But in terms of attracting new fans that don't already play, this is kind of a unique opportunity.

I think some people are concerned about its performance in Japan.

But like I said, whatever. I'm super excited for a new console Monster Hunter! This game is going to eat up all of my free time next year.

Anecdotal evidence is positive

Plus they also get XX for switch sooo

Japan sitting pretty either way. As far as how it will perform sales wise?

Who knows

thefil

Some may feel that didn't feel like true "Tigrex" but the reason is Kojipro never got any data from Capcom, not even character model. They tried to replicate Tigrex just by playing Monster Hunter Portable and watching the screen. So in that regard I think they did the best they could do.

Wow. That's impressive.

shingi70

Banned
Monster Hunter World is the worst thing ever because it means that there is no way in hell we ever get a new dragons dogma game. 😔

Akiller

My guess is that the stream on the 20th will be just the demo they showed to press at E3 and then maybe they will show a new one at Gamescom ( or just making the same demo playable there).

Top Bottom