• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Teran

I've heard you can heal while running, is this true? If so, I kinda feel that it isn't really Monster Hunter anymore.

I've heard you can heal while running, is this true? If so, I kinda feel that it isn't really Monster Hunter anymore.

Heal while moving. We don't know what kind of 'moving' it will be. A slow walk, a regular walk, a run, or anything else.

Can anyone who watched the demo confirm this one?

Its been compared to using an estus in Dark Souls 2 onwards. You're slowed down, but yes you can move.

Alright, this is it I guess.

crinale

I read the Japanese interview and Tsujimoto actually said you can dring potion while walking. He also said you can also cancel the drinking motion so I think it can be assumed there still will be some risk involved within drinking motion (not like one button heals you instantly) where you sometimes have to cancel it by like dodging to avoid get hit.

Teran

Its been compared to using an estus in Dark Souls 2 onwards. You're slowed down, but yes you can move.

Hmmm, well I guess I can live with that considering monsters have been getting faster in recent gens.

Best thing announced about the game so far for me is that it's on PC. I'm still sad I won't be able to commute with it though, I've been playing it as my commute game for the past 8 years T__T

Switch version when

Edit: Wait you can cancel the animation? Maaaan that's a bad move, it's supposed to be a commitment.

Raide

I am ok with the healing changes because it looks like the monsters are not going to give you a little window to heal and flex in.

Everything about World sounds like my dream MH. Actual hunting, environmental stuff to play with, more vertical gameplay, way more mobility options...love it.

Need more!

Haunted

Damage numbers sound great, will make it a lot easier to tell how much better a new weapon is.
This is one of those things where we lament the loss of that intangible ethereal quality of choosing different weapons and buffs to the best of your knowledge without really knowing whether you're playing optimally... and realise 5 minutes into play how much better it is now that we really have that information out in the open.

Quality of Life improvements like that one almost never turn out to be a bad thing.

Skyzard

Banned
This is the first next gen monhun since the ps2 days, everything is new + multiplat.

Already delaying the pc version should tell us they're running on a tight schedule

Not necessarily, sometimes PC gets delayed out of fears of piracy from people who would otherwise have bought it. A short 1 month delay is a pretty good way of making sure people who really want it, would be be buying it.

-Maybe even a bit longer.

Salaadin

PC being only one month after the console version would be great but, for some reason, I feel like it's going to be longer than that.

Not like it matters, though. I won't be able to wait so I'll grab PS4 version and possibly double dip on PC when it goes on sale.

Grinchy

Banned
Never played a MH game, but definitely see the appeal.

Should I be excited for this modern update?

No one can tell you to be excited, but the answer is still yes.

Monster Hunter has barely evolved since the fucking PSP. The 3DS versions, while great games, are a joke in terms of what consumers should expect in their brand new, full-priced products in modern day.

Capcom has been milking an elderly cow for long enough, and this is the first time they've really made a new one since Youtube was new. It's obviously tough for long-term fans to wrap their heads around their same-game-every-time formula to finally modernize, but it looks like it's going to be worth giving it a chance before shitting all over it.

Fistwell

worth giving it a chance before shitting all over it.
I think there's a firm policy of "shit first, think second" for a number of people. There's been a lot of speculation based on limited information, and it feels some have systematically been expecting the worst, without having near enough information to know either way.

Personally, I'm happy they seem to be moving forward. MH, as it has been existing throughout its 3DS phase, has started becoming stale a cple of games ago (my own fault for probably playing too damn much, admittedly). I don't know how this new MH will turn out, but interested to eventually try it out.

(Also excited for dble cross. Although burned out on 4/4U/gen, the prospect of playing on TV with proper controller is too good for me to pass. I'm weak.)

Condom

Getting the PS4 or Xbone version is a waste of time if I can't transfer my character to PC. Hope they add that functionality to either version.

Kinsei

Banned

It sure seems like it. Every MH fan who has seen the demos has said that it's an amazing leap forward for the series. Even someone as jaded and resistant to change as me is now excited for the game.

Heal while moving. We don't know what kind of 'moving' it will be. A slow walk, a regular walk, a run, or anything else.

Can anyone who watched the demo confirm this one?

Alright, this is it I guess.

Of the 5 times i saw them drink a potion they always were only at a slow walk.

Oh just remembered another cool thing I saw in one of my demos. The Trex had trampled over a large tree that had vines hanging on it. It then walked over where the top of the trees had fallen and all the vines stuck to it and snared it for about 5 seconds. It had a cool effect where the Trex was trying to walk away from it and the vines kinda stick to it like string cheese and rip off one by one.

Raide

Yeah, I would think so. It retains the signature core of the MH series. Hunt, loot, craft, hunt, loot, craft forever!

But at the same time getting rid or modifying the weird legacy gameplay quirks that put many new players off. Don't get me wrong, the game can be hard and unforgiving if you don't constantly try to better yourself i.e. your gear and skills but it is also one of the most rewarding games because you face a trial, it beats you down but you come back to gain victory...only for the game to throw an even greater challenge at you. Its such a great loop once you get pulled into it.

Many are hoping that the tweaks and refinements to World will draw new players in without gutting the core gameplay that makes MH so good.

Kyoufu

Of the 5 times i saw them drink a potion they always were only at a slow walk.

Oh just remembered another cool thing I saw in one of my demos. The Trex had trampled over a large tree that had vines hanging on it. It then walked over where the top of the trees had fallen and all the vines stuck to it and snared it for about 5 seconds. It had a cool effect where the Trex was trying to walk away from it and the vines kinda stick to it like string cheese and rip off one by one.

That's so awesome. I'm so over the canned trap recovery animations of MH.

Another two cool moments I just remembered:

1) The demo where the Anjanath started running away, he was going too fast for people to keep up with on foot so they started swinging on vines through tunnels to catch up with it like Tarzan style and then eventually swung onto his neck.

2) The one where they were fighting the Rathalos, they were in kind of an open forest area and one of the members had jumped onto Rath's tail and was hanging on there for dear life stabbing it for 1 damage over and over. You could tell Rath was trying to fly up and out, but there was no space for that so he let out kind of a roar and then dived right into a tree which knocked the guy off and broke the tree.

Another two cool moments I just remembered:

1) The demo where the Anjanath started running away, he was going too fast for people to keep up with on foot so they started swinging on vines through tunnels to catch up with it like Tarzan style and then eventually swung onto his neck.

2) The one where they were fighting the Rathalos, they were in kind of an open forest area and one of the members had jumped onto Rath's tail and was hanging on there for dear life stabbing it for 1 damage over and over. You could tell Rath was trying to fly up and out, but there was no space for that so he let out kind of a roar and then dived right into a tree which knocked the guy off and broke the tree.
I'm hyped.

Raide

I love the animation where she takes like a grenade canister or something and straps it to an arrow and then drags it along the ground to light it before cocking it in the bow. Awesome animation.

Yeah, such a slick movement. Also, love the flames (I think) coming out when doing a power shot. Love Bow!

Also, I like the way the HP and Stam bar pops up when in combat. Makes everything look nice and clean.

forrest

formerly nacire
The challenger mantle looks shiny like Knight Armor and makes noise. I'm wondering if the grid like texture in the reveal footage was just a placeholder.

Top Bottom