• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Yeah, such a slick movement. Also, love the flames (I think) coming out when doing a power shot. Love Bow!

Monter Hunter was sure stuck on weak systems for too long.

The 3DS entries really appear like fillers at this point without bringing anything new to the table.

Probably not used to playing it on a standard controller.

I has nothing to do with a controller. Besides a 3ds isn't that different from a psp/pro controller.

The way he uses the GS makes it obvious is his first time using one. He doesn't charge the attacks and his positioning is questionable.
If you use a GS you have to be Sheathing/Drawing all the time.

Raide

Monter Hunter was sure stuck on weak systems for too long.

The 3DS entries really appear like fillers at this point without bringing anything new to the table.

Last one I played was MH4U on the 3DS and I thought it was really damn good...but I wanted more from the series. Controls were poor on the 3DS. That C nub thing was straight from satans anus. And yet, I put hours and hours into it.

World looks like it will devour my time because its what I have been wanting from MH for ages.

Soon see!

forrest

formerly nacire
There are different types of mantles.

Yup, but the grid patterned mantle in the reveal footage just seemed odd compared to the rest of the games textures/graphics.

People were speculating that it could be the challenger / aggro mantle, but in this new gameplay footage you actually get to see the challenger mantle.

Shiit i need to bring out my psp and play some Monster Hunter after seeing this. It's time to finally take a proper shot at this series.

Murkas

That vid was awesome and I want the game now, full on Monster Hunter.

Lol and nice of the guild gal who no longer stops the screen to tell you the tutorial stuff now that she's fully voiced.

Also assuming that for E3 demo purposes the damage and stamina consumption has been reduced. I remember the Souls games doing that.

forrest

formerly nacire
The video quality is awful and I didn't watch much, but I saw enough to conclude that THIS IS MONSTER HUNTER, BABY! Yesssssssss

It gets brighter and more visible in parts and dark again in parts.

Having watched it and primarily only ever using Great Swords, I may actually give the bow a shot when World comes out.

Last one I played was MH4U on the 3DS and I thought it was really damn good...but I wanted more from the series. Controls were poor on the 3DS. That C nub thing was straight from satans anus. And yet, I put hours and hours into it.

World looks like it will devour my time because its what I have been wanting from MH for ages.

Soon see!

I think the most important part is how dense the world is, makes me wonder how playable that game would be on a smaller portable device - this is really made for the big screen in mind.

The video quality is awful and I didn't watch much, but I saw enough to conclude that THIS IS MONSTER HUNTER, BABY! Yesssssssss

Capcom NEEDS to release a high quality version of this demo on YouTube.

Yeah I don't get why people were complaining. I've played all the PSP ones and this is still monster hunter and is still Japanese as fuck despite some changes.

Brannon

I don't like how leading a stringer monster to your target seems to be an instant win state. I feel like they should do less damage. Hopefully this is just a low rank thing and it isn't nearly as effective in high rank.

I dunno, if the larger monster straight up kills your target, you won't get to cut/break parts during the fight, and may get a lesser reward in general, and if you're trying to capture the monster alive, well oops :p

Mupod

Shiit i need to bring out my psp and play some Monster Hunter after seeing this. It's time to finally take a proper shot at this series.

Those versions are pretty rough these days. But if you can survive MHFU then modern MH will seem pretty easy.

Portable 3rd is a good game for a newcomer but was never officially released in english...there's a translation patch for custom firmware, though.

Just contacted my old hunting group via PSN, back from the original Monster Hunter :)

12 years ago!!! We got pretty much everything done in that game together, although I didn't grind for some of the best gear AFAIR. We didn't knew each other before, but the small German MH community was quite pleasant.

We played also FFXI though we were quite far apart endgame-wise.

All of them have a PS4 and are ready to get back together for MHW! Fuck yeah.

Since MH1, only one of us was playing the Nintendo/handheld ones as a reviewer. Well, I also played an imported MH2 but only the SP of course...

I now live in a different time zone though, won't be able to play as religiously together as before. But at least this time we won't need network adapters and ghetto voice chat setups on PC haha

HYPED!

depward

Leaked gameplay video was nice to finally watch and to not just hear MH YouTubers / Twitch people talking about.

I liked it! Ok with a little difference while keeping the feel relatively the same.

Kouriozan

Saw the leaked footage and it looks amazing, appart from the handholding lights which I hope it's only for the tutorial or something.

Ridley327

I do like that monsters directly acknowledge each other now, but visually speaking, it's really rough as you have those awesome custom animations for the big hits, and then it's really herky jerky with the old animations for the majority of the time that they're fighting against each other. It feels like a bit of a half-step forward in that regard... so it must be a real Monster Hunter!

I wonder how many monsters can actually duke it out at a time.

Tratorn

Gameplay looks nice. The guy commenting though. "OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME IS IT WHAT I THINK IT IS IT IS RATHALOS OMG"

Haha, that's exactly the line where I muted the sound. I seriously didn't want to hear him talking anymore.
Besides that: It's MH and I'm hyped. :)

Looking forward to a full playthrough in a good quality stream, I skipped only through some scenes for now.

depward

As a HBG main, I'm excited to hopefully have the weapon just appear to be much more exciting-looking than previous MH games.

Mupod

I hope the "follow the green fireflies trail" thing is just a beginner thing.

I wonder if tracking the monster via the fireflies will be pointless once you're already familiar with what zones they start in and move to. Or if monsters aren't as predictable and it's something you always need to do.

Might be a thing you can toggle like in previous games. Or maybe they don't want to add it with increased fidelity.

Time to ask Socksy!

Oh I didn't realize there was even a toggle for that. It's actually gameplay related because the bigger the splatter, the bigger the damage. The hits in this leaked demo just don't seem as meaty without it. I really hope they didn't remove that from the game entirely. Not enough to make me not buy, but definitely disappointing if it turns out that way.

Worst video ive ever watched but it looks like that could be the best MH yet.

I hope the low damage was just in there for demo'ing purposes though. Bow looks awesome fun now too.

Playsage

Yup, but the grid patterned mantle in the reveal footage just seemed odd compared to the rest of the games textures/graphics.

People were speculating that it could be the challenger / aggro mantle, but in this new gameplay footage you actually get to see the challenger mantle.

That should be the stealth mantle after its effect runs out

Ridley327

Worst video ive ever watched but it looks like that could be the best MH yet.

I hope the low damage was just in there for demo'ing purposes though. Bow looks awesome fun now too.

It probably is, but I am probably going to call it out now that this will be one of the easier installments in the series, due to the emphasis on the big changes and them not wanting players to have to struggle too much to grasp them and still be expected to play competently. Not a bad thing necessarily, or even undesirable, but I do feel that the bar will be dropped somewhat compared to recent entries.

I'm still really curious as to how monster health works in multiplayer summoning situations. I'd assume that a group that goes in together will probably have proper scaling, but how does that get determined when you start out solo and can possibly get three more to join partway through?

So do monsters in World have ADHD? Scout Flies is has dumb as I thought.

And i hope the whole leading and chasing isn't the main focus and the demo was scripted as hell.

Qurupeke

Man, the fights are awesome. Really spectacular game.

Edit: LONG SWORD! Seems like it's the same.
Edit: Actually, some added combos??

Okay, saw the behind-closed-doors demo. Game looks dope, no more skepticism about combat. Environmental stuff and streamlining still is a mixed bag but I'm digging it.

Do think, however, that some people are going to feel burned. Combat still looks like normal monster hunter, and I doubt the general masses will be terribly happy with that.

Footage looks great outside of the Scout Flies hopefully being a beginner thing and not a forced thing. My only concern is (admittedly not going to effect the gameplay, but) the icon art and all the other little pieces of art that the games are filled with.

Menus and UI in MH are typically filled with lots of unique and cool art. I hope that's still the case here. That stuff adds so much character to the series.

Kyoufu

You actually level up those Scout Flies. When they reach a certain tier, the target monster is paintballed on the map permanently I think?

Raide

With the Scoutflies stuff, I am guessing you could utterly ignore and just hunt it yourself?

I would prefer to see it be less obvious that the flies are there until you have found tracks/slime/food etc that the monster has eaten/done etc.

Eolz

That leaked video looks really good outside of the obvious tutorial stuff and some weird QTEs.
That "ecosystem" stuff seems pretty mediocre, between what was already there and the broken system between big monsters. They have time to fix that though.

Not taking into account the marketing voiceover full of buzzwords as well obviously.

Raide

IBojt35.gif

Someone interrupts your fight and gets wrecked...

Top Bottom