• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

silva1991

giphy.gif

That speed

Rip flex animation after potion consumption. You won't be missed
bye1-onion-head-emoticon.gif

Utterly missed a bit in the video where you mount Rathalos as it flies away. Was that a think in Generations or X?

no way

Mounting system has clearly been expanded

The closest thing was when 4 introduced more grapples the monsters could do

Like Seregios grabbing players and launching them at other players

Salaadin

"Westernized" has such a negative connotation that it's a shame that the original rumor and even Capcom ever used it when talking about World.

This is proper updated Monster Hunter. It's not westernized. It just finally caught up with the times.

SharkJAW

Did you guys see the new Longsword attack at the end?

It was like a charge stab into a huge jumping slice
Yeah, it looks like an addition to Spirit Gauge moves.

I hope there are similar additions to CB, SA, and IG. Crap, I'm going to want to play with so many of the weapons.

Raide

Probably way too early but anyone getting Xbox so we can co-stream on Mixer? Game is perfect for it!

Where's my flashy hit feedback, though?

I wondered that as well. Early tech I hope.

I also winder if the ranged critical distance stuff is still in.

"Westernized" has such a negative connotation that it's a shame that the original rumor and even Capcom ever used it when talking about World.

This is proper updated Monster Hunter. It's not westernized. It just finally caught up with the times.

No one except fanboys with a horse in a console war ever used that term.

It was also obvious from the beginning that the 4chan thing was just trolling and a specific group was running with it for the same purpose.

Man....

Everything just looked sooo good

UGH 2018 is WAY to far away

I hope we get a demo/beta this year. I will be chomping at the bit to play this

Kyoufu

At 20:09 the player strikes the limping Anjanoth from behind.

Is that blood???

edit: Actually it seems like it's the fire element on the sword.

SharkJAW

I'm pretty damn excited for this. The only thing I'm hoping for at this point is good enemy variety/monster count. I'd hate to have such a potentially great game without many monsters to hunt.

Bow looks great.

Still pissed about the timer though. NPC lady saying "You're being timed" confirms it isn't just for the demo.

Yeah mission timers are back confirmed

However once you complete a mission you arent forced back to the base I heard. You ca can free hunt as you please and go back at your leisure

giphy.gif

That speed
It looks like it takes a while to regenerate your health after taking a potion. Okay, now that's smart! Punish players that are stupid enough to drink a potion within the Monster's attack range, while not making them feel like they got stuck in cement in front of an incoming truck. It keeps looking better and better :D

Mupod

I wonder if we're just not even going to see something like a straight up Hunter vs. Shagaru Magala in this game.

as in just a 1v1 in a closed space? I'm sure there will be a boss monster. I can't imagine them leaving out arena, either.

Thinking about it, Shagaru was definitely a level of spectacle that doesn't seem to fit with this game's vibe. But I wonder if I'm just reading too much into the more subdued looking visuals and they'll just drop something crazy looking on us later. Gore Magala of all monsters definitely needs to be seen in higher fidelity. Maybe he'll get in because he seems to be in that stupid movie they're making.

It probably is, but I am probably going to call it out now that this will be one of the easier installments in the series, due to the emphasis on the big changes and them not wanting players to have to struggle too much to grasp them and still be expected to play competently. Not a bad thing necessarily, or even undesirable, but I do feel that the bar will be dropped somewhat compared to recent entries.

I'm still really curious as to how monster health works in multiplayer summoning situations. I'd assume that a group that goes in together will probably have proper scaling, but how does that get determined when you start out solo and can possibly get three more to join partway through?

Health didn't scale in the original MH's did it?

Eolz

The only QTE I saw was the mounting one, which kind of existed in MH4U.

What was the one shown multiple times before the grappling hook? Part of mounting?
Not replying to other quotes basically bashing just for having a different opinion.

I hope the 20th has plenty of nice footage.

IBojt35.gif

Well, that's supposed to be the point of the stream isn't it?
At least it won't be offscreen.

Comandr

Man....

Everything just looked sooo good

UGH 2018 is WAY to far away

I hope we get a demo/beta this year. I will be chomping at the bit to play this

Well looking at previous demos for the series, it looks like they tend to release a demo about a 1-4 weeks before the game hits. But there's been a demo for every single game that I can think of since 3U.

I'm thinking a last week of Jan or Feb release date, and if we're lucky, a demo a little before that.

Ridley327

Health didn't scale in the original MH's did it?
Not dynamically , but prior to MHP3, health in multiplayer was designed around four players being present. MHP3 dropped that to two.

That being said, another quirk is that solo play had a slightly different damage calculator than multiplayer does, so that makes me even more curious as to how they're handling everything.

Vena

as in just a 1v1 in a closed space? I'm sure there will be a boss monster. I can't imagine them leaving out arena, either.

Thinking about it, Shagaru was definitely a level of spectacle that doesn't seem to fit with this game's vibe. But I wonder if I'm just reading too much into the more subdued looking visuals and they'll just drop something crazy looking on us later. Gore Magala of all monsters definitely needs to be seen in higher fidelity. Maybe he'll get in because he seems to be in that stupid movie they're making.

Well spectacle (and spectacle fighting rather than spectacle onlooking) but it also largely removes you from most environmental help/accessibility, and the arena is brutally small with Magala flying around/leaping on top of you extremely aggressively.

Here the focus looks to be shifting away from fighting with more emphasis on the hunting/tracking part of it through larger maps and more interconnectivity, and a Shagaru-like fight would make that all irrelevant. In 4U, the fighting is still pretty much the entire underpinning of the game so your ultimate boss being Shagaru in a 1v1 super-arena fight is pretty much expected/anticipated, here it wouldn't make too much sense.

Ascheroth

Ask of the devil and you shall receive.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av11376919/?zw (Leaked Gameplay)
Looks amazing.
The scout flies are a little too in-your-face for me visually, but we'll see.
That might have been false info too, the screen gave the usual "Returning in 30 seconds" notification after Anjanath died.
Might be because it was a tutorial or for the demo?
I thought they mentioned hunting after the quest is over in an interview.

Mupod

Well looking at previous demos for the series, it looks like they tend to release a demo about a 1-4 weeks before the game hits. But there's been a demo for every single game that I can think of since 3U.

I'm thinking a last week of Jan or Feb release date, and if we're lucky, a demo a little before that.

I actually can't remember a Monster Hunter game that didn't get a demo. MHFU and Tri did, I'm certain of it.

BadWolf

Wow at that footage, the animation is nuts. Capcom must have most of their star animators on this.

The gameplay is clearly classic MH but at the same time feels so much more cinematic/epic.

Qurupeke

That might have been false info too, the screen gave the usual "Returning in 30 seconds" notification after Anjanath died.

Might be because it was a tutorial or for the demo?
I thought they mentioned hunting after the quest is over in an interview.

That's my guess too, a lot of things are different structurally in a demo after all. It is actually on the OP and it's from Dengeki:
Hunters can now hunt freely without being held back by the main objective/quest, even if the quest is complete. Hunters can hunt freely without any limits now.

Kyoufu

There was also a demo for Tri. I'm pretty confident there'll be a demo for World closer to release.

edit: beaten

edit 2:

I think you're forced to return to camp after 30 seconds because you're in multiplayer, but if you're solo I imagine there's no reason to force you to return until you wish to do so? But yeah it could just be a tutorial thing.

BadWolf

I think you're forced to return to camp after 30 seconds because you're in multiplayer, but if you're solo I imagine there's no reason to force you to return until you wish to do so? But yeah it could just be a tutorial thing.

Maybe it's an option and you can toggle it?

Those multiple monster missions are challenging with a timer. Removing it would kill a huge part of the difficulty.

They should be difficult because of the monsters, not because of a time limit.

Already, the idea of this hitting the 4m sales target is iffy. There's zero chance that this sells well if it includes time limits, which Western gamers treat like cancer. It's about as "artificial difficulty" as you can get.

Again, if Dark Souls required players to beat Undead Burg within 50 minutes, Dark Souls wouldn't have taken off either.

Zukkoyaki

My only experience with any sort of Hunting game is the 8ish hours I put into Toukiden: Kiwami. It was fine and I'm glad I played it because I finally felt like I understood the appeal of this type of game but it wasn't for me.

This though looks wonderful and seems aimed at players like me. I will watch it very, very closely.

They should be difficult because of the monsters, not because of a time limit.

Already, the idea of this hitting the 4m sales target is iffy. There's zero chance that this sells well if it includes time limits, which Western gamers treat like cancer. It's about as "artificial difficulty" as you can get.

Again, if Dark Souls required players to beat Undead Burg within 50 minutes, Dark Souls wouldn't have taken off either.

Agreed. Hope the timelinits are gone and along those lines, hopefully Capcom has redone menus to make certain things easier to do e.g. pause the game in a hurry.

studyguy

That monster interaction is fucking insane though.
I expected them to sorta bite at eachother, they literally suplex the fuck out of one another instead.

Kyoufu

I guess one possible reason for the time limit is that just like in the demo, you can't kill all the large monsters before the main target unless you have better gear. So as an incentive to get stronger gear and weapons, you get to take more things down in a single hunt?

I'm not a fan of time limits but that could be one justification for it.

Top Bottom