• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

mas8705

I hope the 20th has plenty of nice footage.

IBojt35.gif

I don't know if this is footage from you or something you found online, but either way, thanks for sharing the pic. It definitely shows that the "HATE AGAINST NUMBERS!!!" was pretty stupid if they are really that small when you smack a monster. Not to mention that watching the big guy just swinging around the little one like a rag doll does show just how different this is going to be since I don't think I have ever seen a case where Monsters attack each other during a hunt. It happened in between cutscenes, but never in a hunt like in this fashion. Will be nice to actually do a hunt now while not having monster try and gang up on you in that fashion.

As for the "I hope the 20th has plenty of nice footage," comment, I actually had no idea that we were going to get details for World so soon after E3. Honestly thought we'd have to wait for Gamescom or TGS until we got to see more goodies. Thanks for sharing that info too. Definitely hyped as all hell now to see more details for World. If it is what people have been saying: I might actually join the bandwagon of "acceptance" about no MHXX for the west (or at least the idea that I don't have to lose sleep over it if I didn't want to import).

Yup, the vast majority of people won't miss it if it's removed.

For a game that's trying to be more accessible in the west, it should be the first non-game play aspect on the chopping block.

Since Capcom is maintaining the core gameplay to such a great extent, they should work on making it easier for new comers to join the fray.

If you want timers, leave that for the high rank stuff. At least remove it for stuff like ranks 1-5. Lower the skill requirement to get in but not lower the skill cieling and difficulty.

For a game that's trying to be more accessible in the west, it should be the first non-game play aspect on the chopping block.

Since Capcom is maintaining the core gameplay to such a great extent, they should work on making it easier for new comers to join the fray.

If you want timers, leave that for the high rank stuff. At least remove it for stuff like ranks 1-5. Lower the skill requirement to get in but not lower the skill cieling and difficulty.
Reading that last page just kinda joining the convo so I may have missed some posts essentially when I pay with buddies we have to rush to hunt the monster? That would suck

Because the game teaches you to play the game correctly.

It's absurd how some people don't get such basic game design elements.

Because you sound ridiculous. In a co-op game, in early missions, you don't need to push the "correct" method. Especially when attracting new comers to a game with a variety of playstyles and weapons. Let then experiment and try out stuff. Slowly push the limiiting factors as you progress in ranks rather than gating them off in the beginning.

Kinsei

Banned
Hold up...rethinking my bow choice now with that insect glaive description

You can also use the glaive to pole vault.

That should help make the choice a bit easier.

Reading that last page just kinda joining the convo so I may have missed some posts essentially when I pay with buddies we have to rush to hunt the monster? That would suck

The time limit is 50 minutes (outside of a few quests where the monster is actively attacking something that you need to defend such as a ship you're on or a town). You're not rushed at all.

I didn't know people actually cared about the timer this much, kinda weird since the 50 minute timer seemed plenty of time for gathering and hunting.

I guess people want more of the moga woods free hunt mode. Still, you'll eventually run out of materials to gather in like half an hour and go back to town to refresh the map. If you wanted to endlessly hunt monsters for parts, it's more beneficial to just do a specific quest since those quests will reward you with monster parts on top of the stuff you carve off, and you get money for completion.

Each mh game I probably average between 75-300 kills for each monster. I can't imagine doing most of those quests for longer than 15 minutes (it should be under 10 mins, if you party up).

mas8705

By removing the timer you'd essentially be removing everything. The timer is an integral part of the experience, killing a difficult foe that can kill you, while managing resources and your weapon with a time limit on it, that is the game. The sense of urgency and the thrill you get when you down a monster in less than the allotted time, would all be gone. The game allows you to gear up progressively as to not even have to get to half the time they give you for the most part, you'd have to REALLY not be doing any damage either by not having good enough stats, which means you need to go back and do earlier missions, or because you are being way too conservative with your attacks.

Removing everything? What?

Lol. The time limit is a non-factor in a majority of missions.

I think I can get a bit of the idea about where the hate on time limit stands from and how this can be seen as both a good thing and a bad thing. Bare in mind one thing: How fast can one hunter kill a monster as opposed to four? In some cases, you could have someone who wants to hunt solo for reasons of either not wanting to hunt with others, unable to hunt with others, or just wants to provide a challenge to go solo. A problem is that in some cases, you don't have the damage output to take a monster down within the time limit. Under this circumstance, I can get how the time limit's removal is a welcomed one.

On the other hand, it does allow you to abuse the game a bit if the urgency of a time limit is removed. I don't recall if "Home Camps" were confirmed and the ability to recover completely should you rest up, but in a sense, you could easily abuse that if you aren't getting hunted down by the monster itself. Yeah, it will chase you down now, but I don't think that developers would enable the ability of a monster ramsacking through your home base if you needed a hasty retreat.

There is a pro and con that can be argued here for sure. If anything else, I can see the removal as a way to welcome in brand new hunters so that they don't feel intimidated about the timer for two reasons. To tell hunters to enjoy the hunt and take their time without worries about a "Time Over" and giving newcomers the idea of that "It will take about this long to finish the hunt"

Mupod

Newcomer question what are the 14 weapons?

Probably more info than you need but I was bored and wrote a bunch of stuff...

Sword and Shield - fast, can use items while unsheathed, shield isn't super strong but the weapon is very mobile and good for beginners.
Dual blades - Fast hitting, super short range. Has a mechanic where you enter a different mode that gives you a stronger moveset but drains stamina.
Lance - Moves slow, dodges are short hops. Long range pokes and a strong shield. Can attack while guarding and has some counter moves.
Gunlance - mixes some aspects of the lance moveset with explosive shots. Not a ranged weapon, just does a different type of damage and has different moves. Also a big explosive shot called Wyvern Fire on a long cooldown.
Greatsword (GS) - Iconic MH weapon, slow with hugely damaging charge attacks. Can block attacks pretty well in a pinch but ruins your sharpness.
Longsword - Faster than the GS, all about doing combos to build up your spirit meter for more damage. Infamous newbie trap weapon, especially regarding tripping up other hunters online with indiscriminate wide attacks.
Hammer - Charge attacks like GS, but you can move around. Can't block, does impact damage that can stun monsters if you land enough hits to the head.
Hunting Horn - Impact weapon like the hammer, has a longer range/sweeping moveset. Can play songs to buff yourself and allies, and the songs themselves are attacks.

Bow - Ranged weapon, uses coatings and charged shots to do damage. Very mobile but you need to be in optimal ranges to do decent damage. Gunner armor has like half the defense of melee armor.
Light bowgun - Ranged weapon (obviously), mostly focused on rapid firing elemental or status ammo. Can run around with it out.
Heavy bowgun - Makes you move slowly like an unsheathed greatsword, but you've still got terrible gunner armor. Stronger than the LBG and has a siege mode that lets you unload a lot of rounds at the expense of movement. Traditionally very strong weapon but you need to know what you're doing.

Insect Glaive - Can jump, good for mounting. Can shoot out a bug that gathers 'essence' from different parts of monsters that gives you temporary buffs (not as complicated as it sounds). Fast hitting moveset.
Switchaxe - changes between axe mode and sword mode. Axe has longer range, sweeping attacks and you can walk/roll around normally with it out. Sword moves like a lance, slowly but with sidesteps. Shorter range, fast and damaging slashes. Has combos that switch between modes.
Charge blade - I barely know what it does. It looks cool.

Who knows what they've changed in MHWorld. I know ranged weapons are gonna control a bit differently for sure.

Because you sound ridiculous. In a co-op game, in early missions, you don't need to push the "correct" method. Especially when attracting new comers to a game with a variety of playstyles and weapons. Let then experiment and try out stuff. Slowly push the limiiting factors as you progress in ranks rather than gating them off in the beginning.

You are moving the goalposts with every new posts.

New players will not even realize there is a timer running for the first times when going for the basics explaining missions.

The timer is a very simple way of showing players if they are not ready or capable of doing the mission.

I always pick bows in these type of games. Rethinking my life choices now that thing sounds op
It was. It gets a crazy good combo when you have rage juice from the monster that can be chained infinitely. The only weak aspect of the weapon is how terrible it is without red monster juice. If you have bad aim with the bug you do no damage. It is also more expensive (but also more interesting) to upgrade because you have to feed and upgrade the bug (giving it different food to get different stats) before you can make a better weapon. Eventually you can make bugs with really cool effects like extra speed, longer buffs, longer range, more damage, elemental damage and the like.

Hopefully it isn't as OP this time, but they better not nerf it too hard.

Really, when you get the game try every weapon. There are so many great weapons that are each very different to play.

It was. It gets a crazy good combo when you have rage juice from the monster that can be chained infinitely. The only weak aspect of the weapon is how terrible it is without red monster juice. If you have bad aim with the bug you do no damage. It is also more expensive (but also more interesting) to upgrade because you have to feed and upgrade the bug (giving it different food to get different stats) before you can make a better weapon. Eventually you can make bugs with really cool effects like extra speed, longer buffs, longer range, more damage, elemental damage and the like.

Hopefully it isn't as OP this time, but they better not nerf it too hard.

Really, when you get the game try every weapon. There are so many great weapons that are each very different to play.
I'll try every weapon except the big sword and any other heavy weapon I always shy away from those

I'm not moving the goal posts. Your underestimating how daunting Monster Hunter is to get into.
The impression I always get with these long running franchises is sometimes the hardcore fanbase don't really care about letting new ppl in. If it changes their game up leave it far away.

You are moving the goalposts with every new posts.

New players will not even realize there is a timer running for the first times when going for the basics explaining missions.

The timer is a very simple way of showing players if they are not ready or capable of doing the mission.

I'm not moving the goal posts. Your underestimating how daunting Monster Hunter is to get into.

Raide

I always pick bows in these type of games. Rethinking my life choices now that thing sounds op

I thin the grappling hook will fundamentally change how players mount monsters. Before you had to find a good ledge, or have a weapon that helps you vault around. Now we should be able to use any weapon +hook to get around.

So glad to see so many MH BowBro's on GAF!

crinale

Just saw the footage and yeah this is the new Monster Hunter.
From remembering watching the trailers and in-game movies all the way back from original MH, I have a feeling that tech has limited what Capcom wanted to do, and finally they can do what they wanted to do for a long time..

I thin the grappling hook will fundamentally change how players mount monsters. Before you had to find a good ledge, or have a weapon that helps you vault around. Now we should be able to use any weapon +hook to get around.

So glad to see so many MH BowBro's on GAF!
The bow is mightier than the sword
Represent

Which isn't because of the timer but it is rather a problem of the bad in-game documentation, something which they will improve for World.

The timer is a contributory factor. When introducing new players to a game, you don't throw them to the wolves. You introduce mechanics over time so that they can more easily acclimate to the game.

There isn't really much of a reason to have time limits in the early ranks when you can phase that in alongside other more limiting factors. That helps newcomers and doesn't hurt veterans at all.

Raide

The AI improvement and level design really stand out from previous Monster Hunter games. If Capcom play this right, they could be onto a winner.

I just hope the console crowd make that happen. So far the game looks great, loving the changes but they also need to talk content soon.

I do wish Cross-play became a thing. MH is a perfect game, considering they are linking the servers.

Probably more info than you need but I was bored and wrote a bunch of stuff...

Charge blade - I barely know what it does. It looks cool.

Who knows what they've changed in MHWorld. I know ranged weapons are gonna control a bit differently for sure.

As a Charge Blade main, allow me to educate you on the joint first greatest weapon in Monster Hunter.

Imagine, if you would, a Sword and Shield user. Now double the size of their sword and shield. Sounds pretty good eh? WELL THAT AIN'T IT BUB. PHIALS. FIVE OF THEM. SWING THAT SWORD AND CHARGE 'EM UP. LOCK THOSE BABIES IN.

NOW, SEE THAT SHIELD? JUST TAKE IT AND PUT IT ON THE END OF YOUR SWORD. I DON'T CARE THAT THE EDGES ARE BLUNT, SHARPNESS IS A BAND AID. SWING THAT IMPROVISED AXE RIGHT AT THE MONSTER AND THEN

BOOM

YOU LIKE EXPLOSIONS? CHARGE BLADE HAS EXPLOSIONS. REMEMBER THOSE PHIALS? WELL FOR EACH PHIAL CHARGED, YOU GET AN EXPLOSION ON YOUR TRANSFORMED ATTACKS. LIKE ELEMENTAL EXPLOSIONS? GOT YOU COVERED. WANT TO DO BASIC IMPACT DAMAGE? COVERED.

WHATS THAT I HEAR YOU SAY? YOU DON'T LIKE EXPLOSIONS? WELL FIRST OF ALL, GROW A PAIR. SECOND OF ALL, CHARGE BLADE STILL HAS YOU COVERED. USE ALL THOSE PHIALS TO CHARGE YOUR UN-TRANSFORMED SHIELD, BABY. CHANNEL THE POWER OF FIVE WHOLE EXPLOSIONS IN YOUR SHIELD TO GAIN STRENGTH UNIMAGINABLE.

NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER.

As a Charge Blade main, allow me to educate you on the joint first greatest weapon in Monster Hunter.

Imagine, if you would, a Sword and Shield user. Now double the size of their sword and shield. Sounds pretty good eh? WELL THAT AIN'T IT BUB. PHIALS. FIVE OF THEM. SWING THAT SWORD AND CHARGE 'EM UP. LOCK THOSE BABIES IN.

NOW, SEE THAT SHIELD? JUST TAKE IT AND PUT IT ON THE END OF YOUR SWORD. I DON'T CARE THAT THE EDGES ARE BLUNT, SHARPNESS IS A BAND AID. SWING THAT IMPROVISED AXE RIGHT AT THE MONSTER AND THEN

BOOM

YOU LIKE EXPLOSIONS? CHARGE BLADE HAS EXPLOSIONS. REMEMBER THOSE PHIALS? WELL FOR EACH PHIAL CHARGED, YOU GET AN EXPLOSION ON YOUR ATTACK TRANSFORMED ATTACKS. LIKE ELEMENTAL EXPLOSIONS? GOT YOU COVERED. WANT TO DO BASIC IMPACT DAMAGE? COVERED.

WHATS THAT I HEAR YOU SAY? YOU DON'T LIKE EXPLOSIONS? WELL FIRST OF ALL, GROW A PAIR. SECOND OF ALL, CHARGE BLADE STILL HAS YOU COVERED. USE ALL THOSE PHIALS TO CHARGE YOUR UN-TRANSFORMED SHIELD, BABY. CHANNEL THE POWER OF FIVE WHOLE EXPLOSIONS IN YOUR SHIELD TO GAIN STRENGTH UNIMAGINABLE.

I just read a infomercial for a monster hunter weapon. I'll like this community it seems lol. Looking forward to early 2018 was it?

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
You know, this all looks cool but. . .

Will I have to grind potion making material for the first few hours of the game until they finally let me get a farm or something to reproduce honey?

I know none of you know this, but it looks like they're taking away/changing a lot of the dated or just plain annoying elements so I would expect this to be changed too. I'd be okay with egg quests still being in too if they found a way to make them more interesting.

I just hope the console crowd make that happen. So far the game looks great, loving the changes but they also need to talk content soon.

I do wish Cross-play became a thing. MH is a perfect game, considering they are linking the servers.

If they later decide to add cross-play, it certainly won't be until the PC version is out. Sony clearly has no intention of giving Microsoft its player base, especially with a title where the split is likely to be 90/10 in their favor.

janoDX

BOOM

YOU LIKE EXPLOSIONS? CHARGE BLADE HAS EXPLOSIONS. REMEMBER THOSE PHIALS? WELL FOR EACH PHIAL CHARGED, YOU GET AN EXPLOSION ON YOUR ATTACK TRANSFORMED ATTACKS. LIKE ELEMENTAL EXPLOSIONS? GOT YOU COVERED. WANT TO DO BASIC IMPACT DAMAGE? COVERED.

As a Dual Blades main:

Or just buy the Dual Blades, use the hook, get into the air, free spins all day, free monster, free money, free materials for more dual blades, repeat.

Changing subject, I think my Laptop can run it, looking at the screens and graphics, so if it runs it I might buy it on PC over PS4 since a lot of my friends who played MH4U and MHG are there.

Raide

If they later decide to add cross-play, it certainly won't be until the PC version is out. Sony clearly has no intention of giving Microsoft its player base, especially with a title where the split is likely to be 90/10 in their favor.

Yeah, I can see it rolling to PC and Xbox but it would be a massive shame for the whole MH community to not be united...

You know, this all looks cool but. . .

Will I have to grind potion making material for the first few hours of the game until they finally let me get a farm or something to reproduce honey?

I know none of you know this, but it looks like they're taking away/changing a lot of the dated or just plain annoying elements so I would expect this to be changed too. I'd be okay with egg quests still being in too if they found a way to make them more interesting.

We gathering is way quicker, so that takes a massive chunk of tedium out of making potions etc. Also you use environmental stuff to things like flashbugs etc, so I expect that to be built into the game as well as gathering etc.

Egg quest is bound to be there but probably something to do with hookshots :D

Kinsei

Banned

BOOM

Don't forget YOU CAN CHARGE YOUR PHIALS WHILE YOUR SHIELD IS CHARGED FOR BIGGER EXPLOSIONS.

Wow takes for that write up

So bow,insect glaive and hunting horn are what I'm leaning toward reading those

Trust me when I say try them all out before making any decisions. Descriptions on paper are one thing, but in MH the weapons all feel drastically different, and knowing the COMPLETE moveset is key to figuring out which weapon to choose. Don't choose a weapon just because it has one or two moves you like. Some of the weapons actually require a lot of meter micromanagement and other factors to make them effective, which aren't immediately apparent from brief descriptions.

That said, my absolute favorite weapon in MH is the dual blades. Demon/archdemon mode is so much fun.

will there be towns in this game where you can buy new weapons or even meet other online players?

Yes to towns. It's unlikely you'll be able to see players online that aren't in your party.

Also, a big part of Monster Hunter is creating the weapons yourself at the Blacksmith. Though, I guess it involves spending credits too, so "Buying" isn't an inaccurate description.

Never played monster hunter but would you guys classify it as a jrpg?

Yes it's an RPG, but probably not in the way you're thinking of.

It's not story centric, and the game play is very action based, but you work on advancing your character via your equipment (which not only increases stats, but skills are tied to the gear system).

Kyoufu

I hope they fix the Lance. I abandoned the weapon after being tripped up too many times while other melee weapons didn't have the same issue. I can pull off Long Sword combos without the fear of interruption yet I can't even poke twice with the Lance without falling over. Please fix, Capcom.

Many new players also died like the flies in Demon's Souls, when it got released but because the game did a great job at making it clear what was the reason for your early death it became part of the well received reputation in the West. That's game design 101.

Many new players also picked Royal and safely magic spammed everything to death, waiting for their MP to slowly recharge between encounters thanks to the MP regen ring.

Many new players picked Temple Knight and stomped everything with the halberd's incredible early 2h R1 damage.

Many new players also used co-op to summon more skilled players that beat everything for them.

Many new players went through the entire game without finding the second blacksmith, learning to parry, understanding scaling or non-standard upgrade paths, knowing what the Boss Souls were for, experimenting with other weapon types, knowing you could two-hand weapons, understanding what the stats did, etc.

Demon's Souls gave you hints on how to play better, but it didn't force you to do any of that. If you fumbled through the game, the devs were cool with that. That's why it succeeded, because it presented you with a challenge and let you overcome it however you could. Same with Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Nioh, and any number of similarly challenging games.

If MH wants to keep the timer, let it exist as a means for giving additional rewards to fast, skilled hunters, not as a means of putting down less skilled players.

Many new players also picked Royal and safely magic spammed everything to death, waiting for their MP to slowly recharge between encounters thanks to the MP regen ring.

Many new players picked Temple Knight and stomped everything with the halberd's incredible early 2h R1 damage.

Many new players also used co-op to summon more skilled players that beat everything for them.

Many new players went through the entire game without finding the second blacksmith, learning to parry, understanding scaling or non-standard upgrade paths, knowing what the Boss Souls were for, experimenting with other weapon types, knowing you could two-hand weapons, understanding what the stats did, etc.

Demon's Souls gave you hints on how to play better, but it didn't force you to do any of that. If you fumbled through the game, the devs were cool with that. That's why it succeeded, because it presented you with a challenge and let you overcome it however you could. Same with Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Nioh, and any number of similarly challenging games.

If MH wants to keep the timer, let it exist as a means for giving additional rewards to fast, skilled hunters, not as a means of putting down less skilled players.

Preach.

Top Bottom