• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Hybris

Yeah, my opinion based on the impressions (the combat looks and sounds fine, which is very reassuring, the verticality is good, but the ecosystem stuff seems pointless - I want to fight the monster, not lure it around into environmental traps and/or watch another monster fight it; tracking is still something I'm not interested in, conceptually, in this series) is more or less locked in by the footage.

Yeah I'm hoping a lot of this stuff is scripted things for the demo. I'd like the majority of quests have a focus on combat in wide open areas. All of these areas they fight in look really cramped, which has been historically terrible in the series. Lots of verticality here as well... You can definitely see the 4th gen map creator's hands on this.

TreIII

*whistles*

That looks very, very nice. MT Framework still able to provide great results! Can't wait to see the Insect Glaive, Light Bowgun and whatever Gaijinhunter was spasming about when it came to the Dual Swords.

I'll admit, though. After so long getting used to the usual MonHun world gibberish language, it's honestly a bit weird to hear English.

BadWolf

That monster interaction is fucking insane though.
I expected them to sorta bite at eachother, they literally suplex the fuck out of one another instead.

You know, we were hoping to suplex Dinos in an RE6-like new Dino Crisis. Capcom one upped us lol.

I guess one possible reason for the time limit is that just like in the demo, you can't kill all the large monsters before the main target unless you have better gear. So as an incentive to get stronger gear and weapons, you get to take more things down in a single hunt?

I'm not a fan of time limits but that could be one justification for it.

Thing is, this isn't like other series where big targets only need to be killed once and stay dead. You're probably going to have to kill any given monster 5+ times to get the drops you need, who cares if the first time took you 10 minutes or two hours?

It's the game dictating how you play. There's a reason why Souls and Nioh never, ever have time limits: They want to let players find their own solutions.

If Capcom retains the timers, then the only way to progress is by increasing your skill. That's not something that gets you far in the Western market, where most of the big sellers offer total gameplay freedom and reward creativity or persistence over raw reflexes.

Well spectacle (and spectacle fighting rather than spectacle onlooking) but it also largely removes you from most environmental help/accessibility, and the arena is brutally small with Magala flying around/leaping on top of you extremely aggressively.

Here the focus looks to be shifting away from fighting with more emphasis on the hunting/tracking part of it through larger maps and more interconnectivity, and a Shagaru-like fight would make that all irrelevant. In 4U, the fighting is still pretty much the entire underpinning of the game so your ultimate boss being Shagaru in a 1v1 super-arena fight is pretty much expected/anticipated, here it wouldn't make too much sense.
I think it's too early to say that. You're looking at a demo/trailer specifically designed to showcase those features and assuming those are going to push out the normal gameplay instead of enhance it.

I'm going to take a wait 'n see approach on how it all balances out, but I'm leaning toward it improving the game instead of distracting. I think it's a bit early to declare that the fighting is no longer the focus of the gameplay.

As for the 30 second post-hunt timer, I bet it's because we're watching a demo. They need to show the demo to whoever wants to see it, so they need to keep on schedule. I'm also not sure that the 25 minute timer (or timers in general) will be in the final game.

So the West hates time limits... the more you know.

There's a reason why, even in series like Dead Rising where the concept worked, it always gets complained about.

The best middle ground, in my mind, would be additional rewards for killing your target within the time limit. Perhaps you get only half the gold if you go overtime, but you don't get kicked and still receive carves and loot rewards.

The time limits have traditionally been like 50 minutes

Which is something I have never worried about keeping track of in previous entries in co op

I imagine this one to be no different

Most hunts will likely still be in the 20-30 minute range with a group and thats with just average players

wmlk

Well spectacle (and spectacle fighting rather than spectacle onlooking) but it also largely removes you from most environmental help/accessibility, and the arena is brutally small with Magala flying around/leaping on top of you extremely aggressively.

Here the focus looks to be shifting away from fighting with more emphasis on the hunting/tracking part of it through larger maps and more interconnectivity, and a Shagaru-like fight would make that all irrelevant. In 4U, the fighting is still pretty much the entire underpinning of the game so your ultimate boss being Shagaru in a 1v1 super-arena fight is pretty much expected/anticipated, here it wouldn't make too much sense.

As someone who has very little experience with the series (only MH4 demo on 3DS), how is this going away from fighting? The commentator was noting how luring the first monster into the larger one is a different approach. He could very well have gone solo against the first monster, no? It's just a new tool to use to lure other enemies, and it looks amazing.

Lets not forget that 3rd Gen introduced Free hunting

I have to imagine you will be able to do various mission types with friends without time limits including spending as much time cleaning out a map as you like

Didn't know that people dislike all the online games with time limits.

This is more like projection than anything else, especially if the timelimit basically only exists in MH to deny cheesing through the game with exploits.

The Dink

So me and my friends just got back home from E3 and I figured I'd share my thoughts so far. HOLY SHIT. This game is legit. After seeing the announcement we pretty much ran to the Capcom booth the first day when the doors opened for the single player presentation and set a RSVP for the Sony multiplayer presentation for Wednesday. Everything I saw pretty much secures my faith in the new direction for the series. The moveset for each weapon looks perfectly intact with improvements and new moves all around. We saw the great blade, bow, heavy bowgun and dual blades in action. Also, one of the four players in the multiplayer demo used sword and shield though we couldn't see his screen. Few things I wanted to list since I haven't seen it anywhere:

1. Carting returns. I mean, obviously. Player 1 fell in the multiplayer session after shooting the signal flare to call the others into the hunt. Saw a bit of the felynes pulling the cart before they changed to another player's screen. Couldn't tell where the cart was taking the player, but it looked like one of the bases on the map.
  2. Three carts allowed per hunt still. Again, obvious return. But just stating.
  3. Damage displays only visible by player dealing damage. During the multiplayer presentation I didn't see any pop-ups when the other players hit the monster. Only the player playing on the screen. Didn't clarify on whether this was default or a customizable option. This might be so individual players can strive to play better and deal more damage without effecting other players. You can see how much damage one monster deals to another monster though. (Which is usually a lot)
  4. Vulture t-rex monster is called the Anjanath. Four-legged monster w/the appetite is the Great Jargas which seems to have a pack master relationship with the smaller four-legged creatures known as Jargas similar to that of the Jaggi/Great Jaggi. Anjanath picks up the Great Jargas by the neck and thrashes it around like a rag doll in combat. Which is hilarious to see in action.
  5. Status effect creatures dwell in key locations during hutns.Not sure how to state this, but there were small critters located throughout the map the hunter could interact with at anytime to have cool effects. There was some kind of insect carrying a green liquid that the player kicked. It then dropped the liquid for a life powder looking mass healing effect. Later there was a "Para-Toad" that the player kicked while fighting the Anjanath that was knocked over on its back and wiggled around for awhile. It then discharged a paralysis cloud that paralyzed the monster for the players to unleash on. Lastly, there was a swarm of flashbugs that when interacted with swirl around before going off like your standard flash bomb. I think it's safe to say we can expect similar critters to pop up in other environments.
  6. Many animations seem mostly unchanged mechanically. When running the player ducks their head and makes small maneuvers to avoid overhead vines and such but looked to function the same as in previous games. The great sword animations I saw looked identical to those I saw in MHTri when I used the weapon. The foot placement of the player and distance he traveled when swinging seemed exactly the same as far as I could tell. The only changes were from the new moves and interactions the player could perform.
  7. More in-depth mounting mechanic. I haven't seen too much mentioned on this, but once mounted the player can move around to seemingly any part of a monster to stab at. Move up to the face, move more towards the back, etc. They mentioned this was done because the monster will thrash you around into obstacles. This seemed to be the case as the player moved around to avoid being crushed against a tree. Though it's hard to say for certain.
  8. New mounting charged attacks? This was only shown with the great sword, but after stabbing the monster while mounted for awhile the player picked up their sword while standing on the Anjanath's back and brought down a powerful charge attack. After that the hunter did a powerful upper slash that knocked the Anjanath down. I believe the monster was stunned while the hunter was doing the slashes but am not 100%. This may be an expansion on the previous mounting system or something unique to great sword w/variations for other weapons. Not sure. Cool to see in action though.
  9. Crazy "Levi from AoT"-style dual-blade action. Okay, so during the multiplayer session the developer of the game (who just happened to stop by for this playthrough) switched to dual-blades and did a maneuver against the Anjanath that reminded me of this:
    31c0776b109b76143605887067803464.gif
    Literally from head to tail for a massive amount of damage. Took awhile for him to land it but the entire room got pumped up and cheered when he got it off. Now, I don't use dual-blades but I'm pretty sure this is new right? It was amazing to see in action too!
  10. The slinger is awesome. It's essentially an extra item you can equip at anytime. I saw the player use it to launch scatternuts at terrain for hazard effects as well as some kind of dung-item combo item to lure it out of close quarters. It looks like some of the other less-used items from the game will have new long-distance uses as well but this is more speculation. The grappling capability is awesome.
  11. Monsters can reach you pretty much anywhere. In the single player session the Anjanath got into some tight quarters as it chased the player, but the multiplayer presentation I saw got crazy with the places it could get. The monster chased the player through very skinny halls with teeth clashing at their heels the whole time. Additionally, the Anjanath can jump very high (probably because of the wings it sprouts on its back when fully enraged). This steadfast chasing seemed to be an effect of it being enraged so players may be able to lure it away from other hunters. We'll see how in-depth this activity is later though of course.
  12. Chugging potions has gradual healing effect. I only saw the player heal a couple times but it seems that each chug from a potion heals a gradual amount of life with a full animation taking 3-4 chugs to finish. The player can move around during this but if they get hit it will most likely cancel the healing effect and have them lose the potion. Didn't see this in action but it seems safe to assume giving the animations and evidence I saw. Seems similar to DS3 estus to this effect. I think players might be able to chug multiple potions but it was hard to keep track with all the action going on.
  13. Life powder returns. Speaking of healing there was a point where one player changed to life powder and used it. Healed all players like before but seemed to be limited to a proximity effect now as it had a mist effect for all players standing nearby to react to.

That's all I can remember for now. Working off a few energy drinks for the trip home. Might update later. Also, totally got to shake hands with the director so that was cool.

Vuze

This footage is amazing. New combat animations will take some getting used to but damn, when the big guy wrecked the "intruder"...

Vena

Didn't know that people dislike all the online games with time limits.

This is more like projection than anything else, especially if the timelimit basically only exists in MH to deny cheesing through the game with exploits.

Timers were even a major cite for issue/stress in Mario 3D World. It's a common Western complaint.

I think I'm one of the few that actually welcomes​monsters fighting each other. If that's part of the strategy, it's easy enough to bump the monsters health up significantly to compensate, and it adds a huge level of danger by having two potential monsters turn on you.

One step closer to that living world I'd love with the series.

SharkJAW

I haven't considered time limits too much of a problem, except for my first few times fighting elder dragons. But, at that point, it makes me wonder: why have a time limit at all? I can understand the argument of it presenting a challenge, but it feels more artificial than, say, making monsters patterns a little less predictable, having tight dodging windows, etc.

Toxi

Banned
So me and my friends just got back home from E3 and I figured I'd share my thoughts so far. HOLY SHIT. This game is legit. After seeing the announcement we pretty much ran to the Capcom booth the first day when the doors opened for the single player presentation and set a RSVP for the Sony multiplayer presentation for Wednesday. Everything I saw pretty much secures my faith in the new direction for the series. The moveset for each weapon looks perfectly intact with improvements and new moves all around. We saw the great blade, bow, heavy bowgun and dual blades in action. Also, one of the four players in the multiplayer demo used sword and shield though we couldn't see his screen. Few things I wanted to list since I haven't seen it anywhere:

1. Crazy "Levi from AoT"-style dual-blade action. Okay, so during the multiplayer session the developer of the game (who just happened to stop by for this playthrough) switched to dual-blades and did a maneuver against the Anjanath that reminded me of this:
    31c0776b109b76143605887067803464.gif
    Literally from head to tail for a massive amount of damage. Took awhile for him to land it but the entire room got pumped up and cheered when he got it off. Now, I don't use dual-blades but I'm pretty sure this is new right? It was amazing to see in action too!
This sounds similar to the launching off a ledge attack from Generations, but way more dramatic and awesome.

The amount of time it would take players to cheese every quest with exploits... I mean, if they're willing to spend 50+ minutes per fight slowly poisoning a monster to death or plinking away at it with standard ammo... they deserve the victory. It probably wouldn't even be possible in a game without zones and with highly aggressive monsters like World.

Seriously, why impose a reviled (amongst gamers in general, not hardcore MH fans) mechanic on everyone just to exclude less skilled players? Especially when there likely aren't 4 million highly skilled players interested in picking this up.

(And, let's not forget, people on the PC will have the option to use Cheat Engine/trainers to stop the timer anyway.)

I haven't considered time limits too much of a problem, except for my first few times fighting elder dragons. But, at that point, it makes me wonder: why have a time limit at all? I can understand the argument of it presenting a challenge, but it feels more artificial than, say, making monsters patterns a little less predictable, having tight dodging windows, etc.

Its a DPS check, forces you to stay aggresive instead of sitting in the back waiting for the monster to perform a super safe and easy attack to retaliate

The amount of time it would take players to cheese every quest with exploits... I mean, if they're willing to spend 50+ minutes per fight slowly poisoning a monster to death or plinking away at it with standard ammo... they deserve the victory. It probably wouldn't even be possible in a game without zones and with highly aggressive monsters like World.

And you will only hit the time limit in MH if you suck at what you are doing and should go back to the drawing boards to reflect your strategy, play style and/or equiptment.

Being able to cheese through monsters will only mean that any future missions will become more and more tedious for you because you are obviously missing something.

SharkJAW

And you will only hit the time limit in MH if you suck at what you are doing and should go back to the drawing boards to reflect your strategy, play style and/or equiptment.
Couldn't you say the same thing about someone who took an hour and a half to kill it, though? At least without the time limit, this hypothetical player could get some materials out of the time sink.

It won't take a beginner 50 minutes to kill a Kut-Ku. They will die before that time runs out.

By removing the time limit, it's less of a pressure on beginners to play the game as "intended", especially in a co-op setting. The removal faciliates a playstyle that they are more likely to enjoy early on before the more difficult missions set in.

I honestly find the time limit a terrible feature in MH that exists just because it has always existed. Get rid of it, make the game slightly more accessible at the cost of very little, if anything.

Raide

I'm neww to the series. I know the focus is on monster hunting, but is there any story at all?

The early stages are story based , usually defending the village from a monster and then in progresses. Usually a good amount of that, then it opens to a quest mode that you do missions for a hunting guild. Tends to be so and then a MP focus.

Couldn't you say the same thing about someone who took an hour and a half to kill it, though? At least without the time limit, this hypothetical player could get some materials out of the time sink.

It would be more important to tell the player what he is doing wrong. And with things like the damage counter and more streamlined information flow there is way better feedback in World than in previous games.

There is no reason to make the mission easier.

SharkJAW

It would be more important to tell the player what he is doing wrong. And with things like the damage counter and more streamlined information flow there is way better feedback in World than in previous games.

There is no reason to make the mission easier.
I can understand that. I just think something like a reward bonus or significant prize cut would better serve the purpose of hastening monster hunting, as opposed to a mission failed status.

I don't think time limit would be a problem for me, but I could see the potential discouragement it might offer newer players.

Kinsei

Banned
See, I liked that part of the series. Monster Hunter as a fast paced, run right in, fight the monster, grab the drops, very "gamey" experience is what appealed to me.

(it might not be surprising that I'm a Switch Axe user)

I feel like you'll be able to do this after you're first encounter with a monster. The new tracking system just seems to be a way to make the act of finding a monster's spawn point fun instead of just having you run around the map like a chicken with your head cut off.

I can understand that. I just think something like a reward bonus or significant prize cut would better serve the purpose of hastening monster hunting, as opposed to a mission failed status.

I don't think time limit would be a problem for me, but I could see the potential discouragement it might offer newer players.

This is rather a question about the quality of the mission and monster designs than a time limit related question.

Many new players also died like the flies in Demon's Souls, when it got released but because the game did a great job at making it clear what was the reason for your early death it became part of the well received reputation in the West.
That's game design 101.

By removing the time limit, it's less of a pressure on beginners to play the game as "intended", especially in a co-op setting. The removal faciliates a playstyle that they are more likely to enjoy early on before the more difficult missions set in.

I honestly find the time limit a terrible feature in MH that exists just because it has always existed. Get rid of it, make the game slightly more accessible at the cost of very little, if anything.
By removing the timer you'd essentially be removing everything. The timer is an integral part of the experience, killing a difficult foe that can kill you, while managing resources and your weapon with a time limit on it, that is the game. The sense of urgency and the thrill you get when you down a monster in less than the allotted time, would all be gone. The game allows you to gear up progressively as to not even have to get to half the time they give you for the most part, you'd have to REALLY not be doing any damage either by not having good enough stats, which means you need to go back and do earlier missions, or because you are being way too conservative with your attacks.

SharkJAW

This is rather a question about the quality of the mission and monster designs than a time limit related question.

Many new players also died like the flies in Demon's Souls, when it got released but because the game did a great job at making it clear what was the reason for your early death it became part of the well received reputation in the West.
That's game design 101.
That's a fair point. I only fear that the time limit will be seen of as more of an obstacle than it truly is, affecting the game's popularity. It's entirely possible that the time limit doesn't, I just want this game to see success to encourage Capcom's efforts in continuing the franchise.

BlizzKrut

Banned
The early stages are story based , usually defending the village from a monster and then in progresses. Usually a good amount of that, then it opens to a quest mode that you do missions for a hunting guild. Tends to be so and then a MP focus.

Pretty much, there's some lore you can get on the world, but a lot of it you really only find on the Wiki or through obscure books, it's cool though!

By removing the timer you'd essentially be removing everything. The timer is an integral part of the experience, killing a difficult foe that can kill you, while managing resources and your weapon with a time limit on it, that is the game. The sense of urgency and the thrill you get when you down a monster in less than the allotted time, would all be gone. The game allows you to gear up progressively as to not even have to get to half the time they give you for the most part, you'd have to REALLY not be doing any damage either by not having good enough stats, which means you need to go back and do earlier missions, or because you are being way too conservative with your attacks.

Removing everything? What?

Lol. The time limit is a non-factor in a majority of missions.

Kinsei

Banned
Bow all day!
What's a gun lance tho?
And insect glaive

Gunlance is a lance with a gun in it. It can shoot bullets and has a big explosion attack called wyvernfire.

The insect glaive is a double balded glaive that comes with an insect you can use to give yourself buffs. You send the bug out and it grabs extracts from the monster based on where the bug hits them. (Attack boost from the face, defense boost from the body, and so on).

Gunlance is a lance with a gun in it. It can shoot bullets and has a big explosion attack called wyvernfire.

The insect glaive is a double balded glaive that comes with an insect you can use to give yourself buffs. You send the bug out and it grabs extracts from the monster based on where the bug hits them. (Attack boost from the face, defense boost from the body, and so on).
Hold up...rethinking my bow choice now with that insect glaive description

Top Bottom