• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Comandr

Many new players also picked Royal and safely magic spammed everything to death, waiting for their MP to slowly recharge between encounters thanks to the MP regen ring.

Many new players picked Temple Knight and stomped everything with the halberd's incredible early 2h R1 damage.

Many new players also used co-op to summon more skilled players that beat everything for them.

Many new players went through the entire game without finding the second blacksmith, learning to parry, understanding scaling or non-standard upgrade paths, knowing what the Boss Souls were for, experimenting with other weapon types, knowing you could two-hand weapons, understanding what the stats did, etc.

Demon's Souls gave you hints on how to play better, but it didn't force you to do any of that. If you fumbled through the game, the devs were cool with that. That's why it succeeded, because it presented you with a challenge and let you overcome it however you could. Same with Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Nioh, and any number of similarly challenging games.

If MH wants to keep the timer, let it exist as a means for giving additional rewards to fast, skilled hunters, not as a means of putting down less skilled players.

This is why I don't want the timer to be anything more than a fail state. You make the argument yourself. If a fast completion offers bonuses, then what's stopping hyper geared G rank players from coming in and destroying low level quests for their buddies to "power level" them?

No. The timer is good. Instead of having a two hour war of attrition with a monster that could feasibly beat assuming you just never took any damage, the timer acts as a gate. If you don't do enough damage to beat a monster in a very generous 50 minutes (I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 times in my entire MH career that I have run out of time) then you need to have better gear.

forrest

formerly nacire
If MH wants to keep the timer, let it exist as a means for giving additional rewards to fast, skilled hunters, not as a means of putting down less skilled players.

I'd have no problem with this type of implementation, but honestly the timer is usually very generous.

This is why I don't want the timer to be anything more than a fail state. You make the argument yourself. If a fast completion offers bonuses, then what's stopping hyper geared G rank players from coming in and destroying low level quests for their buddies to "power level" them?

No. The timer is good. Instead of having a two hour war of attrition with a monster that could feasibly beat assuming you just never took any damage, the timer acts as a gate. If you don't do enough damage to beat a monster in a very generous 50 minutes (I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 times in my entire MH career that I have run out of time) then you need to have better gear.

What's wrong with high geared players coming in and helping their buddies?

Raide

I'd have no problem with this type of implementation, but honestly the timer is usually very generous.

The only time I had an issues with the timer was fighting something hard that I was under-geared for. It works to show you that something needs to change before this challenge is overcome.

Comandr

A lot of players in the MH community look down on "carrying," because by the time those people being carried get up to a point where they can play with the big boys, they have no fucking clue what they're doing. And because everyone shares lives, not only are they a active liability, they're a detriment to the team because they are dead weight taking up a spot on the team.

Then you compound that with potential "bonus rewards" based on a quick clear time like Uriel was suggesting, and they are geared even faster and move up quicker.

Vena

If new players are having trouble because of the timer (and, effectively, still fighting a Great Jaggi), how would they even have resources to sustain a hunt that long? You'd run out of healing, stamina-degeneration would set in, you'd run out of whetstones and sharpness, etc. I see no scenario where a new player is actually hitting the timer vs. just being killed by the monster or running out of everything first.

If you remove the timer, you have a hundred other "hidden" timers that will do the same thing or force you into tedious upkeep. Are you going to strip all that out too?

The timer is for difficult multi-hunts. Are you hunting a Brachydios? Might be tight if its on a higher difficulty or if you're not ready for her. What about a Rathian and a Seregios? This is where the timer starts kicking in.

They either get their faced kicked in by harder foes that they see on their own, or they become deadweight for parties or constantly need to be bailed by higher geared G-rank players because they are never learning anything.

The buddies wont learn and will have a much harder time on higher ranks.

So?

A lot of players in the MH community look down on "carrying," because by the time those people being carried get up to a point where they can play with the big boys, they have no fucking clue what they're doing. And because everyone shares lives, not only are they a active liability, they're a detriment to the team because they are dead weight taking up a spot on the team.

Then you compound that with potential "bonus rewards" based on a quick clear time like Uriel was suggesting, and they are geared even faster and move up quicker.

Sounds like Capcom needs to address ranking rather than trying to void player enjoyment.

Kinsei

Banned
Gotta git gud!

Plz allow high geared players to help me lol. I don't like the thought of the timer
-Casual gamer

Not that, it's just annoying when someone comes to a room designed for farming end game monsters and fails the quest for everyone cause they don't know what they're doing. This has led to a stigma against carrying in the MH community.

Kyoufu

If new players are having trouble because of the timer (and, effectively, still fighting a Great Jaggi), how would they even have resources to sustain a hunt that long? You'd run out of healing, stamina-degeneration would set in, you'd run out of whetstones and sharpness, etc. I see no scenario where a new player is actually hitting the timer vs. just being killed by the monster or running out of everything first.

First time players hitting the timer was likely down to not being able to track the monster quickly. Wasting time running around the map probably was a bigger factor than the actual fighting part.

They're making it very easy to track monsters now so hmm.

janoDX

Because if they get carried, in high ranks they will become dead weight, G rank is something you don't want to arrive without experience and getting power leveled is something that would go against it.

First time players hitting the timer was likely down to not being able to track the monster quickly. Wasting time running around the map probably was a bigger factor than the actual fighting part.

Both the lives and timer plays a part. I know folks who bailed out on the series because of those things plus MH tutorials and sense of bloat suuuuucks. It's a huge turn off in my (annecodotal) experience.

Comandr

So?

Sounds like Capcom needs to address ranking rather than trying to void player enjoyment.

And how would you suggest they do that? I have no idea if you are familiar with the MH games at all. But currently you are given a ranked mission list, generally from like, rank 1 to rank 10. Each of those ranks has a number of missions in them. Some of those missions are called "key quests" which you have to complete in order to unlock the boss mission that will grant you access to the next rank of missions.

So most carrying involves high level dude helping newbie blast through all the key quests in literally minutes. A really powerful guy could beat a low level monster in a 1-5 hits. Meanwhile, the newbie is learning absolutely nothing from this interaction.

Now that player is blasting through the ranks and not earning them at all.

So my question again: How would you change it?

HeeHo

Man, I can't believe we are still talking about the timer. It is literally almost nothing to worry about unless you are trying to fight a higher rank monster with a weak weapon. In that case, the game is trying to tell you to get a better weapon, instead of taking 50 mins to fight all of the other monsters too.

Vena

The games have long time now been teaching you from the very first hunt to paintball the enemy and how to track it (and how to make more paintballs on top of giving you an excess at the start of every low level hunt). They won't even let you leave the starting zone without it or doing it.

Their "witcher vision-lite" is just a visual update + mini-quest implementation that I am still not sold on as I think its just a waste of time for visual flare over a simple paintball. Its nothing more than fluff visual fluff now.

Kansoku

So?

Yeah, it's going to be really fun getting your ass kicked four time as much by more difficult monsters and become a liability to your buddies because you couldn't take some time to enjoy learning the game with easier low rank monsters.

What's to stop them from doing that anyway? The only difference is that they'd have to play the mission 3 times instead of 5. Players have always been able to "easy mode" their way through MH co-op, which makes the whole "it's a git gud gate" argument even sillier.

Also, the way to get better gear is to grind another monster you've likely already killed. If players had to kill Taurus Demon five times back-to-back to get the gear they needed to beat the Belfry Gargoyles, I don't think Dark Souls would've had much success.

The hardcore MH player's argument for keeping the timer (which apparently is barely noticeable to them, yet somehow still totally essential) is to enforce a playstyle on other people. I'm sorry that they can't live with the idea that people aren't experiencing a game the way they want them to.

Skyzard

Banned
Fix Monster Hunter (finally) with World please.

No more bullshit jank and outdated ideas that aren't fun, like timers and extremely rigid animations.

Like others have said, make fast completion a reward like 99% of the games out there instead of a fail-state.

That's not interesting content/mechanics.

And how would you suggest they do that? I have no idea if you are familiar with the MH games at all. But currently you are given a ranked mission list, generally from like, rank 1 to rank 10. Each of those ranks has a number of missions in them. Some of those missions are called "key quests" which you have to complete in order to unlock the boss mission that will grant you access to the next rank of missions.

So most carrying involves high level dude helping newbie blast through all the key quests in literally minutes. A really powerful guy could beat a low level monster in a 1-5 hits. Meanwhile, the newbie is learning absolutely nothing from this interaction.

Now that player is blasting through the ranks and not earning them at all.

So my question again: How would you change it?

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the MH games. Plenty of ways to fix it and I'm sure game devs could come up with a variety of methods.

Since I just watched a GT: Sport video, you could always implement a licensing system similar to the GT series. One or two solo hunts that qualify you for the next rank. Not terribly hard but enough of a challenge to ensure the absolute minimum competency. Doesn't even have to be for every rank, could be for batches of ranks (e.g 1-3, 4-6).

That's just off the top of my head though.

What's stopping those people from helping their friends beat that same fight without bonus rewards? You've done nothing to fix that behavior.

Put me on team #BonusTimer. If someone can survive for an hour and still get the kill, they deserve it. Also, endurance runs against endgame monsters with iron weapons would be fun to watch.

Kyoufu

The games have long time now been teaching you from the very first hunt to paintball the enemy and how to track it (and how to make more paintballs on top of giving you an excess at the start of every low level hunt). They won't even let you leave the starting zone without it or doing it.

Their "witcher vision-lite" is just a visual update + mini-quest implementation that I am still not sold on as I think its just a waste of time for visual flare over a simple paintball.

One of the big complaints I remember reading on this forum from new players was "ugh why is there no lock-on when I'm throwing my paintball at it?"

You underestimate how bad newbies are at throwing stuff at monsters :p

This is probably why they changed it from throwing a paintball to the Scout Flies tracking.

Vena

One of the big complaints I remember reading on this forum from new players was "ugh why is there no lock-on when I'm throwing my paintball at it?"

This is probably why they changed it from throwing a paintball to the Scout Flies tracking.

Just run into its face and throw. Was never complicated and it was a big step in my personal time with the franchise to learn to not be afraid of whatever I was fighting, and it didn't need to be turned into witcher vision. Just make it have light hit-scan or something.

See monster -> give it a big kiss -> fight.

This is just like "throw" items in Dark Souls, or grenades in old Halo. I see no need to change these but w/e.

Yeah, it's going to be really fun getting your ass kicked four time as much by more difficult monsters and become a liability to your buddies because you couldn't take some time to enjoy learning the game with easier low rank monsters.

*shrugs* I don't consider buddies in games a liability.

Fix Monster Hunter (finally) with World please.

No more bullshit jank and outdated ideas that aren't fun, like timers and rigid animations.

Like others have said, make fast completion a reward like 99% of the games out there instead of a fail-state.

That's not interesting content/mechanics.

I really don't think any of those things take away the fun for hardcore players, but I do think MH has a number of mechanics and concepts that are going to keep the game out of reach of a wider western audience, unless they make some nice QoL improvements.

And it seems World is doing just that, while maintaining the core of what makes MH so special. I'm so excited for this.

I'm gonna guess dung bombs and tranqs will be something you aim using the arm gun instead of throwing while facing the monster. And thank god for that.

Better mechanics are better. FINALLY WE HAVE ADVANCEMENT.

Man. Now I feel bad that I'm going to be forcing my girlfriend to play when it comes out for PC and will probably end up carrying her. Though that won't be the community's problem because I'm going to force my other friends to play the game as well.

Though, at least we probably won't have to worry about G rank at launch.

Mathieran

Banned
I don't like timers but I do have to admit that I received one of my greatest thrills completing a difficult multi monster hunt in the last 5 seconds on MH Tri on the Wii.

So it's a bit of a double edged sword. The challenge of beating the timer can be thrilling, but I don't like having it on the back of my mind all the time.

But I have no problem making the game more accessible to newcomers.

Comandr

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the MH games. Plenty of ways to fix it and I'm sure game devs could come up with a variety of methods.

Since I just watched a GT: Sport video, you could always implement a licensing system similar to the GT series. One or two solo hunts that qualify you for the next rank. Not terribly hard but enough of a challenge to ensure the absolute minimum competency. Doesn't even have to be for every rank, could be for batches of ranks (e.g 1-3, 4-6).

That's just off the top of my head though.

Okay, but playing devil's advocate here, let's pretend there's a scenario with your solution in place (which by no means is a bad one). Newbie has been blasted through the ranks and now has to fight solo against a monster he has no idea how to deal with, and may not even really understand his weapon yet.

Now this is just an exercise in frustration. He has the performance expectation put against him that "okay bud I set you up all you have to do is finish this by yourself and we can move on," and he might not be able to complete it. That doesn't sound fun.

I see both sides of the argument I guess.

The other end of my question is "Why do you need so much time for this quest? What are you doing?"

Kyoufu

Just run into its face and throw. Was never complicated and it was a big step in my personal time with the franchise to learn to not be afraid of whatever I was fighting, and it didn't need to be turned into witcher vision. Just make it have light hit-scan or something.

See monster -> give it a big kiss -> fight.

To be honest I'm hoping the Scout Flies will allow me to just toggle the minimap off and go almost hud-less.

Skyzard

Banned
I really don't think any of those things take away the fun for hardcore players, but I do think MH has a number of mechanics and concepts that are going to keep the game out of reach of a wider western audience, unless they make some nice QoL improvements.

And it seems World is doing just that, while maintaining the core of what makes MH so special. I'm so excited for this.

They aren't only going for the established hardcore players familiar with Monster Hunter though, those folks would still get a bonus for fast completion. It's how most games do it... repeating an hour long mission because you fell short making your way back or finding something/wanting to explore more sucks...

More of a OoT than Majora's Mask with timers.

The game can still be challenging while they modernise the combat a bit too. It can still be punishing with good AI instead of animations that can't be cancelled and huge wind up times (while monsters just sit there, waiting to take it).

Basically, make a better dark souls with dinosaurs. More light hearted with a fun town and all that while still having challenging combat and a cool world. It'll print money.

You have to admit that it's frustrating going on a hunt with a party of 4, and one player carts 3 times. And then again the next hunt, the same player carts 3 times. That's what I call a liability, and that player literally needs to git gud before partying up.
I'm gonna be honest, if I don't know that guy I'm kicking him, unless he died to obviously unavoidable bullshit. I usually help people out when they're having trouble (joining random lobbies and asking if people are stuck), but if a random joins my lobby and singlehandedly fucks the entire hunt he's gone. It's not my job to teach people the game in HR+.

Okay, but playing devil's advocate here, let's pretend there's a scenario with your solution in place (which by no means is a bad one). Newbie has been blasted through the ranks and now has to fight solo against a monster he has no idea how to deal with, and may not even really understand his weapon yet.

Now this is just an exercise in frustration. He has the performance expectation put against him that "okay bud I set you up all you have to do is finish this by yourself and we can move on," and he might not be able to complete it. That doesn't sound fun.

I see both sides of the argument I guess.

The other end of my question is "Why do you need so much time for this quest? What are you doing?"

Counter point: not every new player is going to go through the game all the way, nor is that ever the goal from an accessibility point of view. If the player experiences enough of the game before bailing out, sufficient to want to purchase the next iteration, that's enough.

If new comers get to rank 4-5 before bailing, that's still a success for Capcom if the beginner is more likely to buy the next version of MH. Getting to rank 4-5 is much more progress than beginners who drop out in 1-2. It's all about getting the first step in and slowly converting new comers to long time fans.

They aren't only going for the established hardcore players familiar with Monster Hunter though, those folks would still get a bonus for fast completion. It's how most games do it... repeating an hour long mission because you fell short making your way back sucks...

More of a OoT than Majora's Mask with timers.

The game can still be challenging while they modernise the combat a bit too. It can still be punishing with good AI instead of animations that can't be cancelled and huge wind up times (while monsters just sit there, waiting to take it).

You're kind of just repeating what I said.

Their "witcher vision-lite" is just a visual update + mini-quest implementation that I am still not sold on as I think its just a waste of time for visual flare over a simple paintball. Its nothing more than fluff visual fluff now.

By the way, you're worrying about the scoutflies way too much. It's probably going to be like traditional monster hunter where they always spawn in the same place anyway, so once you've scouted them once you don't have to do it next time.

Also, according to people who have watched footage, if you see the monster before charging your scoutflies up, it automatically skips the tracking phase. So all it really does is remove needing to paint ball the monster.

FiraB

Banned
So friends playing together that want to help there buddies gear up and rank up shouldnt be allowed?

This has been happening for a long time now. Power leveling in monhun has been a thing since forever and the community love it because you can catchup to friends really quickly to start playing together.

Its public carrying that the community hates because you have to deal with people that become a waste of space and potential quest enders.

Privately the concept is fine but like many things its public games where you suffer the most impact from this.

But I dont know many G-rank players that pug games, that shit is simply your own fault if your dumb enough to do it.

Git gud is all well and good to boot but even good players start by being bad players

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

You remain a shitty player if you dont learn for yourself. So having your OP friends face roll a monster for you teaches you literally nothing.

Even if you get rid of the timer you still will have scrubs not being able to kill shit just due to not having the damage output or giving up due to constantly dying over and over and over again.

So honestly its ones own lack of skill which is the issue not the timer.

In short stop making excuses.

Raide

To be honest I'm hoping the Scout Flies will allow me to just toggle the minimap off and go almost hud-less.

That would be so good. 4 players drop in, no HuD's etc and track follow the monster using skill, not a numbered section on a mini-map or paintballs.

Skyzard

Banned
You're kind of just repeating what I said.

I thought you wanted timers, because last I heard, MH:W was keeping them. Are they making the timer not a fail-state?

I get that they're trying to modernise it too - but are they doing enough. Not sure, but I hope so. MH is pretty janky in a few ways (been playing the WiiU one since the announcement).

No split up, small areas, fast travel with the bird, calling for help mid-game all sound good but holding onto timers is worrying that they're not embracing smart modernisation fully.

I thought you wanted timers, because last I heard, MH:W was keeping them. Are they making the timer not a fail-state?

Regarding timers, I honestly don't care either way. I have no problem with them, but if the MH team feels removing them will bring in more players, more power to them.

I'm gonna be honest, if I don't know that guy I'm kicking him, unless he died to obviously unavoidable bullshit. I usually help people out when they're having trouble (joining random lobbies and asking if people are stuck), but if a random joins my lobby and singlehandedly fucks the entire hunt he's gone. It's not my job to teach people the game in HR+.

Ah but what if you DO know that guy?

You remain a shitty player if you dont learn for yourself. So having your OP friends face roll a monster for you teaches you literally nothing.

Even if you get rid of the timer you still will have scrubs not being able to kill shit just due to not having the damage output or giving up due to constantly dying over and over and over again.

Yea, I'm making excuses.

Oh no, I just want to enjoy Monster Hunter with friends who aren't into the series. The horror of it all.

Sorry not everybody's a master hunter I guess? Y'all have a real problem with casuals

HeeHo

You have to admit that it's frustrating going on a hunt with a party of 4, and one player carts 3 times. And then again the next hunt, the same player carts 3 times. That's what I call a liability, and that player literally needs to git gud before partying up.

Yeah, it's easy to act like you don't care about that stuff but in practice it is quite brutal. Especially for event quests. You can play for like an hour and a half and make 0 progress if players keep getting carted.

I think the timer is essential for letting you know something isn't going right. If you even see the notification pop up that you have 20 or 15 mins left, your team is either underpowered or something isn't going quite right (barring exceptionally hard fights).

Sorry not everybody's a master hunter I guess? Y'all have a real problem with casuals

I was practically new to MH when I played MH3U on Wii U and I randomly entered a lobby with some high rank fellows and they were extremely patient and generous in helping me learn. It didn't hurt that the Wii U had voice chat either. I didn't know it at the time but one of them is actually a GAFer by the name of Sojiro. I would just advise that you let people know you are fairly new and then ask questions. It seems as if the community likes to answer questions about what certain things do in the game to new players.

It should be a relatively pain free process with voice chat being enabled. Also, a lot of new hunters will probably be in the same boat as you so I wouldn't worry.

Comandr

So friends playing together that want to help there buddies gear up and rank up shouldnt be allowed?

This has been happening for a long time now. Power leveling in monhun has been a thing since forever and the community love it because you can catchup to friends really quickly to start playing together.

Its public carrying that the community hates because you have to deal with people that become a waste of space and potential quest enders.

Privately the concept is fine but like many things its public games where you suffer the most impact from this.

But I dont know many G-rank players that pug games, that shit is simply your own fault if your dumb enough to do it.

Git gud is all well and good to boot but even good players start by being bad players

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to do it. Play however you want. I don't care. Here's an anecdote for you.

I personally carried my roommate all the way to G rank in Generations. He never learned monster tells, he never learned the maps, or where anything was, he never had any idea what any of his armor or weapon skills were, because none of that mattered. We took the mission together, he could gather or fight little monsters or "come help" me fight and when he invariably got killed, he would just sit at the camp while I did everything.

When he finally got to G rank, he was totally useless. He had gotten so accustomed to flying through the ranks, that the concept of now having to farm for his gear was VERY unappealing. He had gone fast fast fast fast fast all the way through the game and got accustomed to that. Now we have to fight the same monster 8 times to get the one stupid thing he needs? AND it takes 15-20 minutes at a time? This suuuuucks. And then he quit playing. And now both of us are frustrated.

Top Bottom