• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Kyoufu

Oddly enough, in all my time playing MH online with others, my issue with bad players wasn't down to lack of skill but mainly attitude.

Like, last week I asked a fellow hunter to bring traps and he replied "why? I don't need materials"

I facepalmed so hard. I'd rather play with newbies who are in the learning process than players who only think about themselves and in general are just too selfish to benefit the team.

Ah but what if you DO know that guy?
I go to his house and mercilessly rib him until he gits gud.

Really though, I watch how he plays while tagging along using a hunt-appropriate weapon doing about as much damage as him (wearing G armor though so I can pay less attention to the monster). Then I give him advice on how he can be better with his weapon or at the mechanics of the game in general.

Doopliss

As a Charge Blade main, allow me to educate you on the joint first greatest weapon in Monster Hunter.

Imagine, if you would, a Sword and Shield user. Now double the size of their sword and shield. Sounds pretty good eh? WELL THAT AIN'T IT BUB. PHIALS. FIVE OF THEM. SWING THAT SWORD AND CHARGE 'EM UP. LOCK THOSE BABIES IN.

NOW, SEE THAT SHIELD? JUST TAKE IT AND PUT IT ON THE END OF YOUR SWORD. I DON'T CARE THAT THE EDGES ARE BLUNT, SHARPNESS IS A BAND AID. SWING THAT IMPROVISED AXE RIGHT AT THE MONSTER AND THEN

BOOM

YOU LIKE EXPLOSIONS? CHARGE BLADE HAS EXPLOSIONS. REMEMBER THOSE PHIALS? WELL FOR EACH PHIAL CHARGED, YOU GET AN EXPLOSION ON YOUR TRANSFORMED ATTACKS. LIKE ELEMENTAL EXPLOSIONS? GOT YOU COVERED. WANT TO DO BASIC IMPACT DAMAGE? COVERED.

WHATS THAT I HEAR YOU SAY? YOU DON'T LIKE EXPLOSIONS? WELL FIRST OF ALL, GROW A PAIR. SECOND OF ALL, CHARGE BLADE STILL HAS YOU COVERED. USE ALL THOSE PHIALS TO CHARGE YOUR UN-TRANSFORMED SHIELD, BABY. CHANNEL THE POWER OF FIVE WHOLE EXPLOSIONS IN YOUR SHIELD TO GAIN STRENGTH UNIMAGINABLE.

NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER.

Incidentally, you'll look bloody beautiful while you're doing all that.

KP2nlnr.gif

Psyfer

I go to his house and mercilessly rib him until he gits gud.

Really though, I watch how he plays while tagging along using a hunt-appropriate weapon doing about as much damage as him (wearing G armor though so I can pay less attention to the monster). Then I give him advice on how he can be better with his weapon or at the mechanics of the game in general.

This is the best way to teach new players IMO.

Comandr

Sorry not everybody's a master hunter I guess? Y'all have a real problem with casuals

I don't think anyone here has a problem with "casuals," or at the very least, new players. Monster Hunter does tend to be a more hardcore game though, in the same way that Dark Souls or any variant might be. The games are punishing and unforgiving. They are also very rewarding for skillful play.

For the most part you can get away with being sloppy in the beginning. But as you move up, and monsters will do 3/4 or more of your health in one hit, sloppiness is less and less of an option.

I am more than happy to help a new player learn how to play. If you genuinely are interested in learning to play the game, I would love to play with you. If you just want to goof around and swing your sword at monsters, that's perfectly fine too. But eventually, you're going to find that to be a very challenging and frustrating way to play the game.

This is the best way to teach new players IMO.
I'll admit, though, that after few hunts of the same monster I'll throw on my G weapon to get the last piece of gear he needs (Tetsucabra). Usually after 4 or 5 hunts with no luck at a certain drop.

In low rank casuals don't bother me because it's casual content. If someone who obviously doesn't know how to play drops in for a carry and double- or triple- carts, they're gone. HR/G is not the place to learn to play.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yea, I'm making excuses.

Oh no, I just want to enjoy Monster Hunter with friends who aren't into the series. The horror of it all.

Considering how the series has been going on and still selling strong with said system in place and the numbers obviously show that a large pool of players play the game goes to show that there is no real issue with the said timer system and it has worked just fine as is. If it was such an issue that somehow prevented new folks from playing they obviously would have changed it by now.

Those who decide to be adamant with something being changed, use the exact same excuse every time which basically boils down to "Me myself and I". Just worded in various ways, a lot of the time under the guise of being "left out" of the fun due to said feature not being catered directly towards them and whatever their odd expectations are of said game / genre.

The timer rarely comes into play much and if you are going over the time limit its due to your characters damage output being too low for said monster(s) in the quest. Honestly something is wrong if someone is constantly getting a time over to occur and not instead be proactive about it in a smart way with simply upgrading your gear from monsters that you are able to defeat.

Incidentally, you'll look bloody beautiful while you're doing all that.

KP2nlnr.gif
Where's the bow gif

Considering how the series has been going on and still selling strong with said system in place and the numbers obviously show that a large pool of players play the game goes to show that there is no real issue with the said timer system and it has worked just fine as is. If it was such an issue that somehow prevented new folks from playing they obviously would have changed it by now.

Those who decide to be adamant with something being changed, use the exact same excuse every time which basically boils down to "Me myself and I". Just worded in various ways, a lot of the time under the guise of being "left out" of the fun due to said feature not being catered directly towards them and whatever their odd expectations are of said game / genre.
To be perfect honest you sound more like this more than anyone else In Here debating the timer thing

Psyfer

I'll admit, though, that after few hunts of the same monster I'll throw on my G weapon to get the last piece of gear he needs (Tetsucabra). Usually after 4 or 5 hunts with no luck at a certain drop.

Yeah, I've done this too. Once they have the mechanics down and know how to fight the monster, reducing the low/high rank grind help keeps them interested without feeling like carrying them. Unfortunately, my friends are quitters and usually don't make it beyond late high rank lol.

Raide

One area I am really looking forward to is all the weapons and gear and how much better they will look with detailed textures and effects. Not just that but monster detail, little objects and doodads in the world. Cannot wait to see Palico as well.

Hate to break it to you, but you might want to check which platforms the game has been selling on vs. the ones World is on. Then also see which platform is super successful in Japan and which one isn't.

Also, check the sales of MH in the west and what Capcom hopes from this one overall.

Kansoku

Yea, I'm making excuses.

Oh no, I just want to enjoy Monster Hunter with friends who aren't into the series. The horror of it all.

Do you really think anyone will enjoy not being able to do anything in a quest because they rushed trough the game?

Do you think that not being able to land a hit and to constantly get hit because you didn't learn the tells is enjoyable?

Put yourself in the position of the guy who got carried, do you really think he will enjoy going into a quest with 3 of his buddies and then they always fail the quests because you keep carting every time?

Do you think that when that guy decides to practice solo, he will enjoy having to go back to the start because he can't keep up with the monsters in the "rank" he is?

Yeah, I've done this too. Once they have the mechanics down and know how to fight the monster, reducing the low/high rank grind help keeps them interested without feeling like carrying them. Unfortunately, my friends are quitters and usually don't make it beyond late high rank lol.
It's also a great place to test alternate weapons! I learned to hammer and charge blade from sherpa-ing my buddies through MHX/4U.

Do you really think anyone will enjoy not being able to do anything in a quest because they rushed trough the game?

Do you think that not being able to land a hit and to constantly get hit because you didn't learn the tells is enjoyable?

Put yourself in the position of the guy who got carried, do you really think he will enjoy going into a quest with 3 of his buddies and then they always fail the quests because you keep carting every time?

Do you think that when that guy decides to practice solo, he will enjoy having to go back to the start because he can't keep up with the monsters in the "rank" he is?

I can easily answer yes to your first two questions. Do I need to answer the rest?

Oddly enough, in all my time playing MH online with others, my issue with bad players wasn't down to lack of skill but mainly attitude.

Like, last week I asked a fellow hunter to bring traps and he replied "why? I don't need materials"

I facepalmed so hard. I'd rather play with newbies who are in the learning process than players who only think about themselves and in general are just too selfish to benefit the team.

Tell that guy to go kick rocks. They be just tryna prove something. "Look how good I am!!"

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to do it. Play however you want. I don't care. Here's an anecdote for you.

I personally carried my roommate all the way to G rank in Generations. He never learned monster tells, he never learned the maps, or where anything was, he never had any idea what any of his armor or weapon skills were, because none of that mattered. We took the mission together, he could gather or fight little monsters or "come help" me fight and when he invariably got killed, he would just sit at the camp while I did everything.

When he finally got to G rank, he was totally useless. He had gotten so accustomed to flying through the ranks, that the concept of now having to farm for his gear was VERY unappealing. He had gone fast fast fast fast fast all the way through the game and got accustomed to that. Now we have to fight the same monster 8 times to get the one stupid thing he needs? AND it takes 15-20 minutes at a time? This suuuuucks. And then he quit playing. And now both of us are frustrated.

I used to have the same problem with the people who get co-op carried through Souls. I thought that, if the game just did a better job of forcing them to deal with stiff challenges, they'd become ultra excellent players.

But then I realized: No, they'd have stopped playing ages ago if they weren't being carried. In fact, they probably wouldn't have ever played the game at all. The problem with the type of person you're describing isn't that they're unskilled or casual, it's that they're impatient. The game isn't going to correct that aspect of their personality, regardless of how it's designed.

Impatient players just won't get far on their own in methodical, challenging games like MH and Souls. Similarly, very patient players that want to take on challenges they "aren't ready for" get punished by the timer.

This is another reason why Souls is great. You can wander into an area you very much aren't ready for... and you can beat it with enough persistence. MH doesn't seem to like it when you do that, it doesn't want you to fight a Rathian before you've killed a half dozen Great Jaggis.

HeeHo

One area I am really looking forward to is all the weapons and gear and how much better they will look with detailed textures and effects. Not just that but monster detail, little objects and doodads in the world. Cannot wait to see Palico as well.

Yeah, I think even the basic Greatsword they showed looks awesome. Can't wait to "Catch Em All" in terms of armor sets.

Raide

Whats the TLDR on weapons? Which hits the hardest, has the most DPS, best combo ability?

Ugh...depends what you want to do. KOing monster, breaking horns etc or cutting tails. In the right hands, every weapon is powerful.

SwitchAxe is pretty bonkers, Hunting Horn also.

It's really down to play style.

Ugh...depends what you want to do. KOing monster, breaking horns etc or cutting tails. In the right hands, every weapon is powerful.

SwitchAxe is pretty bonkers, Hunting Horn also.

It's really down to play style.
So chicken option would be the bow. Or do I have a limit of how far away I can be lol

Comandr

Whats the TLDR on weapons? Which hits the hardest, has the most DPS, best combo ability?

There's really no such thing. Each weapon is different. If you're looking for a single colossal swing, that's Great Sword. But timing those swings is pretty challenging, and while you're winding up you can't move or do anything. You have to be dead certain you're going to land the hit before you pull out your sword or it could cost you dearly.

On the other hand, dual blades goes in fast and quick, getting tons of hits but doing small amounts of damage. Death by a thousand cuts.

That said, Insect Glaive is the best weapon.

Some interviews have said that towns etc are an important part of MH. I expect them to be the same as MH but maybe with more hunters roaming around.

Yes to towns. It's unlikely you'll be able to see players online that aren't in your party.

Also, a big part of Monster Hunter is creating the weapons yourself at the Blacksmith. Though, I guess it involves spending credits too, so "Buying" isn't an inaccurate description.

Yes. But you don't really buy weapons. You craft weapons and armor from monster parts. And there are TONS. Armor is basically how you level up and get new skills. It's all very complicated but that's part of the fun.

thanks guys - that sounds awesome. Especially the crafting

They're usually pretty well-balanced (other than gunlance, that thing is straight trash).

The meta changes between each game, but every weapon is usually viable (except the gunlance). MH4U introduced the insect glaive, which was admittedly OP as fuck due to the new mounting mechanics and pure power of a full-juice combo. That's a standout, but (almost) every other weapon was plenty capable of dominating G rank with time to spare. It comes down to what you like to play and what you're good at. Player skill matters much more than theoretical max DPS of a weapon.

Raide

So chicken option would be the bow. Or do I have a limit of how far away I can be lol

Damn you!

Chicken option would be stay in town and eat with the cats.

Bows have critical distance. Too close or too far, you don't do maximum damage. In world it seems you can go out of range also. Positioning is the key with ranged weapons.

In previous Games you had different bow effects based upon how long you charge the bow before firing. Plus you had coating for the bow, some which help with power at close range of you wanted to get personal

As a Charge Blade main, allow me to educate you on the joint first greatest weapon in Monster Hunter.

Imagine, if you would, a Sword and Shield user. Now double the size of their sword and shield. Sounds pretty good eh? WELL THAT AIN'T IT BUB. PHIALS. FIVE OF THEM. SWING THAT SWORD AND CHARGE 'EM UP. LOCK THOSE BABIES IN.

NOW, SEE THAT SHIELD? JUST TAKE IT AND PUT IT ON THE END OF YOUR SWORD. I DON'T CARE THAT THE EDGES ARE BLUNT, SHARPNESS IS A BAND AID. SWING THAT IMPROVISED AXE RIGHT AT THE MONSTER AND THEN

BOOM

YOU LIKE EXPLOSIONS? CHARGE BLADE HAS EXPLOSIONS. REMEMBER THOSE PHIALS? WELL FOR EACH PHIAL CHARGED, YOU GET AN EXPLOSION ON YOUR TRANSFORMED ATTACKS. LIKE ELEMENTAL EXPLOSIONS? GOT YOU COVERED. WANT TO DO BASIC IMPACT DAMAGE? COVERED.

WHATS THAT I HEAR YOU SAY? YOU DON'T LIKE EXPLOSIONS? WELL FIRST OF ALL, GROW A PAIR. SECOND OF ALL, CHARGE BLADE STILL HAS YOU COVERED. USE ALL THOSE PHIALS TO CHARGE YOUR UN-TRANSFORMED SHIELD, BABY. CHANNEL THE POWER OF FIVE WHOLE EXPLOSIONS IN YOUR SHIELD TO GAIN STRENGTH UNIMAGINABLE.

NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER.

Weapon that prompted me to find a secondary since in MH4U it KO'd almost as well as my Hammer while also doing so much damage. Made me feel inadequate seeing all the crap it pulled off while also doing my job.

Best thing that happened to me. Now I run Hammer, Dual Blades, and Hunting Horn (with a Gunlance on the side).

It's okay, there are pierce bows which excell at longer ranges. They tend to be very situational and not as good as rapid (mid range) or scatter (close range) bows though.
Are there other special ammo types or are they really just skill based

By that I mean are their poison arrows and such like that or skill based arrow techniques

Comandr

This is absolutely true. My roommate would have never gotten the game if I wasn't getting it. You have to want it. He didn't want it. He just wanted to play something with me. Shrug.

I feel like an insufficiently "ready" player will much more likely fail the quest from repeated dying than running out of time. Unless you're playing with a ranged weapon and playing extreme keep away, you'd have to be extremely good to avoid getting hit or killed for over 50 minutes.

Like I said earlier, I see both sides. On one hand the timer is so generous it begs the question "why have it at all?" But on the other hand the timer does impress a certain urgency on the player to get shit done. I do kind of like that.

Raide

Previous games had ammo types called coatings. You have infinite arrows but could only take so many coatings. Poison ones, close range ones, paralysis ones. Bow users are super good in groups for applying status effects .

There was also elemental bows, so I am not sure how they will change up for World.

By that I mean are their poison arrows and such like that or skill based arrow techniques

Lots of special ammo types. Fire, poison, dragon, sleep, paralysis, normal but stronger, etc.

Which you can use depends because different bows can use different ammos. What type of shot (piercing, scatter, etc) your normal shots are also can change depending on your bow.

Kinsei

Banned

Those are the only bow types. You then have coatings for your arrows which modify them such as a close range coating which multiplies the strength of your arrows when you shoot really close to the monster. Coatings are limited though whereas you have an infinite amount of arrows. There are also coatings for status effects (poison, sleep, and so on) as well as one that is just a flat damage buff.

Previous games had ammo types called coatings. You have infinite arrows but could only take so many coatings. Poison ones, close range ones, paralysis ones. Bow users are super good in groups for applying status effects .
Just what I wanted to hear Ima sucker for status users mix that in with bow usage yup that's my weapon

Lots of special ammo types. Fire, poison, dragon, sleep, paralysis, etc.

Which you can use depends because different bows can use different ammos. What type of shot (piercing, scatter, etc) your normal shots are also can change depending on your bow.
Dragon?

You can paralyze, poison, or tranquilize a monster with coatings.

But monsters develop immunity to those as you use them. Usually you can only rely on 1 or 2 applications of your chosen status ailment in a hunt (unless you're cheesing an encounter... look up Sleep Bombing Alatreon on YouTube if you want to see abuse of mechanics in action), so skill is still very much a factor. I'd say ailment hunting takes more skill in many cases because you're giving up consistent dps.

Dragon is another element that also has a status ailment when applied to players (reduces/removes their elemental/status damage). Some monsters are weak to it.

Top Bottom