• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Vengal

It's cool. Most players are actually really patient in my experience.

I personally get my patience due to all of my friends being awful at video games XD

There are still sour grapes out there.

I booted up TRI-U afew weeks ago to make sure my wiiu wasn't dead. Created a beginners lobby since I was teaching a friend how to play and we were already in a hunt. Had a guy show up in the town and just do nothing but talk shit about how long we were taking.

Hopefully there are still beginners sections and other similar areas so people can learn how to play the game in peace.

The best weapon is HBG. It almost feel like cheating once you're good at landing all your shot at the correct critical range and the correct hitzones. Speaking of which, I wonder if they will keep critical range for bowguns.

Raide

The best weapon is HBG. It almost feel like cheating once you're good at landing all your shot at the correct critical range and the correct hitzones. Speaking of which, I wonder if they will keep critical range for bowguns.

Watched a video earlier where they said it was in for bows, so I guess it's in for bowguns too.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Sorry not everybody's a master hunter I guess? Y'all have a real problem with casuals

Considering the amount of players Id have to say the hardcore crowd is a lot smaller than how many people play the title casually with friends as a social thing.

Sides the topic isnt even about casuals, more about those who whine about the timer. If you go over the time limit its not about being a master hunter. Its not being a muppet and trying to kill something which is obviously out of your league.

You are just wasting your own time be attempting to do something so counterproductive. Which is no fault of the game.

Going time over and over again vs dying all over the place are 2 totally different things.

Its damage output vs. experience of the player.

Now back to the subject of the topic you decided to reply with to my comment, for example the small community of players on GAF are rather cool and more than happy to help new players that are interested in the game. Though as with any MP game, nobody wants to constantly play with those who complain or sit around and be a scab. Hell its the same with anything when it comes to group interaction honestly and not some sort of Monster Hunter specific phenomenon.

Everyone starts out new, everyone needs to learn. People learn people get better. But from the get go if you have someone who just whines about something you know they are a problem already. As its make excuses first effort "maybe" later.

So a lot of the more seasoned players have no issues when players still learning on the non G rank type of quests die or mission fail while playing.

If you are with a group of friends the issue of having to worry about being at least competent enough to match your rank too sort of goes away. As your buddies should not be judgmental about that.

But still since this has been a team based game for the MP portion with shared life, being able to pull ones weight to a reasonable level once you have gone into the G rank type of quests is appreciated by all involved. As others have explained damage and HP of monsters is greatly increased so being still unfamiliar with the title and "trying" to progress at that "difficulty level" so to speak makes for an unpleasant experience for all involved. Since when quests are failed its generally a waste of time for all involved, even more so if items are used. Which is why usually people will go and pop smoke and abort a quest in order to prevent the item loss before the 3 death limit is reached.

Anyways went and typed too much, but in short the community here has zero issues with new players who want to play and learn.

The series has generally always been about effort in results out Vs. Press A for Awesome.

There are still sour grapes out there.

I booted up TRI-U afew weeks ago to make sure my wiiu wasn't dead. Created a beginners lobby since I was teaching a friend how to play and we were already in a hunt. Had a guy show up in the town and just do nothing but talk shit about how long we were taking.

Hopefully there are still beginners sections and other similar areas so people can learn how to play the game in peace.

Yep prime example of online asshole right there.

Generally best way to avoid that is just make a room with a password.

Its what we used to do when helping friends like with what you were doing.

If you're new, you shouldn't have any trouble meeting understanding players in low rank missions. The community as a whole is great, and I've never met so many people willing to help other people out.

As long as you're a good community member, you shouldn't have problems. Part of being a good member is not forcing randoms to carry you through endgame content. Making an honest attempt to learn fights and weapons is all you need to do to avoid getting shit on by the vast majority of players.

Zeldana

Neo Member
I wasn't fond of the initial footage since it was focused exclusively on tracking and gathering and I like finding the monster and engaging asap, but the leaked footage has me feeling better about the combat. GS user missing half of his attacks because of bad positioning? That's at least familiar

I played DB in 3U and IG in 4U, decided to try a ranged weapon in Generations and went with LBG. It's a fantastic support weapon especially when you can reliably chain paralysis + trap + KO + sleep + bomb combos, but it's a different story solo. Going from hardly ever running out of time as a blademaster to failing that one 5 multi-monster end village quest is something else. I run out of ammo. My fault for the sloppy aim, but I'm thinking of switching over and trying out HBG to help boost my DPS enough to finish the quest.

Anyway, I hope World keeps a lot of the crucial things like critical distance and the various aerial/sidestep art options.

HBG really is easy mode once you understand your movement options and are good at minimizing excess movement so you spend more time hunkered down firing off rounds. Does insane damage.

Parakeetman

If you're new, you shouldn't have any trouble meeting understanding players in low rank missions. The community as a whole is great, and I've never met so many people willing to help other people out.

As long as you're a good community member, you shouldn't have problems. Part of being a good member is not forcing randoms to carry you through endgame content. Making an honest attempt to learn fights and weapons is all you need to do to avoid getting shit on by the vast majority of players.

Now this is some real talk.

Timers are a non issue in Monster Hunter. It's not like the game puts you up against a Rathian after a few gathering and slaying missions. They only last 15 minutes if you know what you are doing. And if missions last to long, it gets harder because of the limited resource.

ilium

Yeah, if you think you can just hang back a hundred meter with your bow and shoot sharp sticks at your target, the timer might actually become a problem.

The Bow, my friend, is the most elegant tool of deadly precision upward walking apes have ever graced their prey with.
Forget your categories like 'damage per second' and 'biggest hit potential', for all this becomes meaningless when you face your equal not even a stone throw away, laserfocused on its' poison weary eyes and movement, your heart pounding through your sorry excuse for an armor...
And then you let go the perfect shot, masterfully aligned with your prey's weakpoint (which is satisfyingly often the head), making it flinch in painful shock while you continue your predatory approach...

Oh, what's one measly arrow compared to a swing from that impressive looking greatsword you say?
Well fledgling that's funny, because your charged up normal arrow powershot combo is basically, almost pretty much like charged up greatsword swings.
To the weakpoints and as often as your mastery permits.

And have you ever seen someone land charged up greatsword hits on a moving target a couple meter above the ground? Yeah...

Beats

One thing to keep in mind with being a ranged weapon user is that you'll have significantly less armor defense compared to blademasters(melee weapon users). I don't think they talked about if that's still the case for this title, but I'm assuming that'll still be the same.

Never played monster hunter but would you guys classify it as a jrpg?

I would classify Monster Hunter as in the same genre as Destiny. While the combat is pure action it has a lot of loot or material grinding to have better armor and weapons so you can defeat bigger enemies that will give you better stuff and it's an ongoing loop.

Parakeetman

Yeah, if you think you can just hang back a hundred meter with your bow and shoot sharp sticks at your target, the timer might actually become a problem.

The Bow, my friend, is the most elegant tool of deadly precision upward walking apes have ever graced their prey with.
Forget all your meaningless categories like 'damage per second' and 'biggest hit potential', for all this becomes meaningless when you face your equal not even a stone throw away, laserfocused on its' from poison weary eyes and movement, your heart pounding through your suprisingly unprotective armor...
And then you let go the perfect shot, masterfully aligned with your prey's weakpoint (which is satisfyingly often the head), and making it flinch in painful shock.

Oh, what's one measly arrow compared to a swing from that impressive looking greatsword you say?
Well fledgling that's funny, because your charged up normal shot powershot combo is basically, almost pretty much like charged up greatsword swings. To the weakpoints. Continuously.

And have you ever seen someone land charged up greatsword hits on moving targets? Yeah...

Bows were the most hilariously OP thing on the ps2 2g. Piercing shot in particular. Same in Frontier till they started to nerf it. Was great using the R analog stick for the pulling back on the bow string to fire.

PKrockin

Yep, the assholes are by far the exception. When I was new to the series and late to the 3U party everyone was very helpful and played a lot of low rank/high rank with me, even though those G-rank players didn't have much use for the low rank/high rank loot.

Kevdo

Man that footage shows all of my friend's main weapons except hammer

and it shows none of mine :(

I started with Lance in 3, picked up Switchaxe in 3U, Dual Blades in 4U, and Hunting Horn and Light BowGun in X. I wanna see if there are any changes for this!

Kyoufu

Bows were the most hilariously OP thing on the ps2 2g. Piercing shot in particular. Same in Frontier till they started to nerf it. Was great using the R analog stick for the pulling back on the bow string to fire.

Yeah they were OP. I used Bows a lot in MHP2 but then I played Dragon's Dogma as a Magick Archer so when I went back to MH the controls just felt wrong. :(

So glad they're updating that. I'll use ranged weapons again.

Arion

Guys, seriously the time-limit is a never a concern in monster hunter. They balance the game specifically so it's not an issue. So long as you upgrade your equipment at a steady rate you never need to think about the time limits.

Camjo-Z

Timers are a non issue in Monster Hunter. It's not like the game puts you up against a Rathian after a few gathering and slaying missions. They only last 15 minutes if you know what you are doing. And if missions last to long, it gets harder because of the limited resource.

I don't think I've ever managed to time out on a mission I was properly prepared for, so I'm not sure why people are suggesting it'll be scary to newbies. They're more likely to get carted three times before running down the clock, and if they are somehow taking longer than 50 minutes to beat low-rank quests something is horribly wrong with their strategy or gear.

PKrockin

Guys, seriously the time-limit is a never a concern in monster hunter. They balance the game specifically so it's not an issue. So long as you upgrade your equipment at a steady rate you never need to think about the time limits.
The only problem with the time limit is that some people see the words "time limit" and immediately shut down, no matter how it's implemented, just like with Majora's Mask.

forrest

formerly nacire
Yeah they were OP. I used Bows a lot in MHP2 but then I played Dragon's Dogma as a Magick Archer so when I went back to MH the controls just felt wrong. :(

So glad they're updating that. I'll use ranged weapons again.

I always choose bow wielding characters in all games I play with Monster Hunter being the only exception. I've only ever mained Great Sword in every entry I've played. I just always find the risk reward to be really satisfying and I've never really cared for the bow implementation in MH, though I've never given it an honest chance beyond brief test runs.

With World I think I'm finally going go all in on Bows while keeping a Great Sword at the ready.

Parakeetman

Never played monster hunter but would you guys classify it as a jrpg?

No its a 3rd person action game for the most part, though different as others have explained.

The game does not use any sort of EXP or "levels" for the player to gain which increases stats and such.

Your character everything is made up of the equipment you wear and weapon equipped. All of which have different stats and properties. From there to go even further into it some equipment is slotted which allows you to put in gems that help supplement skills and such.

Everything else with the game is all based on the skill of the player playing. All weapons can be accessed from the start too. Movesets are predetermined for each different weapon type so all you need to do to be able to use a specific weapon set is equip it. Though melee and ranged weapons use different armor sets.

Items used during quests can either be bought or have to be crafted with materials harvested from the maps or from monsters defeated.

Weapons and Armor are the same also. Parts need to be collected from defeating monsters or harvested from the map. All requirements for what is necessary for a particular weapon to be made is shown at the blacksmith. Further you advance the weapon tree and collect new resources new equipment that can be made will start to show up.

When you defeat monsters in the game you are able to harvest parts from them and what is gained is random.

With that being said the gameplay is very repetitive with you constantly having to go after certain monsters for specific parts to further your equipment collection or upgrade them further.

The pre-MHW design basically the town is the hub where you accept missions from the mission board then exit the town to start the mission on one of the predetermined game maps. Once the mission is cleared you are returned to town, then repeat the process.

Anyways am sure all this text is making your eyes glaze over so watch some older 3DS footage from MH4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpVuIrwIKAw

Forget all your meaningless categories like 'damage per second' and 'biggest hit potential', for all this becomes meaningless when you face your equal not even a stone throw away, laserfocused on its' from poison weary eyes and movement, your heart pounding through your suprisingly unprotective armor...
And then you let go the perfect shot, masterfully aligned with your prey's weakpoint (which is satisfyingly often the head), and making it flinch in painful shock.

Well fledgling that's funny, because your charged up normal shot powershot combo is basically, almost pretty much like charged up greatsword swings. To the weakpoints. Continuously.

And have you ever seen someone land charged up greatsword hits on moving targets? Yeah...

giphy.gif

They're usually pretty well-balanced (other than gunlance, that thing is straight trash).

The meta changes between each game, but every weapon is usually viable (except the gunlance). MH4U introduced the insect glaive, which was admittedly OP as fuck due to the new mounting mechanics and pure power of a full-juice combo. That's a standout, but (almost) every other weapon was plenty capable of dominating G rank with time to spare. It comes down to what you like to play and what you're good at. Player skill matters much more than theoretical max DPS of a weapon.

Don't make me do a write up on the other joint best weapon in the game. >:[

So it may not be "viable" damage wise. So it may be clunky, counter productive and weak.

But by Jove, nothing like blasting a Rathian point blank in the face with a Wyvern Fire.

If you want to win at Monster Hunter, take a "viable" weapon. If you want to go down in the annals of history, go Gunlance.

Well after seeing the footage I just did a complete 180 lol

looks really solid the only thing that honestly concerns me is voice acting and detective/scout flies. Shared region servers are good but the fact that theres no crossplay means this is gonna be dead on PC in a couple of months so I'll have to buy a PS4

I'm just gonna miss the series being portable

Well after seeing the footage I just did a complete 180 lol

looks really solid the only thing that honestly concerns me is voice acting and detective/scout flies. Shared region servers are good but the fact that theres no crossplay means this is gonna be dead on PC in a couple of months so I'll have to buy a PS4

I'm just gonna miss the series being portable

Tri on the WIi U is still pretty active

Wamb0wneD

This is the only game next to all the fighters that would make me get PS+. Guess it won't be that fun alone. 60 bucks a year just for MH and for getting my ass kicked in Tekken and Dragon Ball is still too much tho...

Don't make me do a write up on the other joint best weapon in the game. >:[

So it may not be "viable" damage wise. So it may be clunky, counter productive and weak.

But by Jove, nothing like blasting a Rathian point blank in the face with a Wyvern Fire.

If you want to win at Monster Hunter, take a "viable" weapon. If you want to go down in the annals of history, go Gunlance.

Gunlance really deserved better in Generations. I can see where they were going with the heating changes, but the nerfs they gave it to "balance" the weapon in exchange went a little far. I'd like to keep the mechanic in Worlds, except maybe less restricting (overheating can be so obnoxious depending on what you were trying to set up), and with better damage scaling.

But yes, smacking monsters with Wyvren Fire is amazing and I love the absolute power of Wide Shelling (spoken as someone who only goes Gunlance solo 'cause I'm so bad with it).

Tri on the WIi U is still pretty active

really? thats actually surprising
partly because its wii u lol
. Guess it shows how much people prefer the game on consoles in the west since theyre isnt any cross play

Anyway speaking of concerns, another thing that caught my eye during footage was the lack of visual cues for hits. In the other games theres blood splatter and visual effects letting you know you do damage to the monster and it feels satisfying to see

Its really toned down in the demo hope thats something that changes by release

Boogiepop

Watching through the footage, I'm still not onboard with the "OMG this is such an evolution and so much better" sentiments, but yeah, I can deal with that.

Still really, really, reaaaaaaally hate the monsters fighting each other junk though. Looks like what I feared, IE "sit and watch our pretty flashy junk instead of actually fighting the monsters yourself, and also they do a ton of damage with you doing nothing." Just... that seems like an awful, awful mechanic gameplay wise to me, and I don't give the slightest bit of a damn whatever "immersion" it may add.

Also, a random musing: you've got those little flying guys effectively acting as free infinite farcasters, right? Wonder how that'll be balanced... Like, I'd imagine they're at least slower (didn't get a good look) to counteract the "get out of a bad spot immediately" factor of the farcaster. But if it's easy to jump back to camp... wonder if they're gonna do something to the bed to prevent you from abusing it. (Just a thing I'm curious about, rather than some big concern or anything, though.)

Ridley327

really? thats actually surprising
partly because its wii u lol [/spoler]. Guess it shows how much people prefer the game on consoles in the west since theyre isnt any cross play

Anyway speaking of concerns, another thing that caught my eye during footage was the lack of visual cues for hits. In the other games theres blood splatter and visual effects letting you know you do damage to the monster and it feels satisfying to see

Its really toned down in the demo hope thats something that changes by release
Yeah, and seeing the lack of visual cues for the GS draw charge beyond the slight glow on the hunter was really jarring. I really hope they're not thinking that the added graphical fidelity means they shouldn't do that stuff anymore, since those really add to the impact of each hit.

Still really, really, reaaaaaaally hate the monsters fighting each other junk though. Looks like what I feared, IE "sit and watch our pretty flashy junk instead of actually fighting the monsters yourself, and also they do a ton of damage with you doing nothing." Just... that seems like an awful, awful mechanic gameplay wise to me, and I don't give the slightest bit of a damn whatever "immersion" it may add.

this is actually the one thing Im glad they added. For 13 years we've had cutscenes/ecology videos showing monsters kicking each others shit in the moment they see each other but when you see two monsters in the same area as each other in the actual game they ignore each and attack you. In my mind that was always dumb and im happy for the change

FingerBang

It sure seems like it. Every MH fan who has seen the demos has said that it's an amazing leap forward for the series. Even someone as jaded and resistant to change as me is now excited for the game.

I'm so happy people like you are changing their mind. This game is going to be a success if can convince both fan of the series and new people to get in. Looking forward to seeing the demo on the 20th!

forrest

formerly nacire
Really hoping we don't have to wait too long for the pc release. I would like to avoid a ps+ or Xbox live charge if possible, but if it's gonna be 6 months or more I'm not sure I can hold out.

Real talk. The only time I've felt pressure from the time limits is when I've tried to do high rank guild quests with inadequate gear.

Aside from that, you're doing something very wrong if it's affecting you.

smokeyp

Holy crap. After watching that video, I am a believer again. It looks awesome!

Now, where's the leaked video of Chun Li's real face?

It sure seems like it. Every MH fan who has seen the demos has said that it's an amazing leap forward for the series. Even someone as jaded and resistant to change as me is now excited for the game.

Everyone.

Stop the fucking presses.

If Kinsei is now excited, no one has anything to worry about.

Ever.

Get hype.

Top Bottom