• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Alex

I can't wait for
that either as
the 3DS won't
let me type
more than 4 words
in a damn line

The whole UI was fucked on the 3DS. That was the first thing I noticed coming from PSP is that slight resolution hit actually managed to do a lot of damage to the HUD.

I stopped following the monster catalogue after MH2, is Lao-Shan Lung still a thing?

Want him to be in MHW or something of similar scale. Not the most entertaining fight skill-wise but it's very different (basically a mini-raid?) and required player coordination.
Most importantly it's basically you vs Godzilla.

Kinsei

Banned
I stopped following the monster catalogue after MH2, is Lao-Shan Lung still a thing?

Want him to be in MHW or something of similar scale. Not the most entertaining fight skill-wise but it's very different (basically a mini-raid?) and required player coordination.

Lao was brought back in XX.

Fuck that piece of shit dragon. It never required skill, you just stood there and hit it in the dick for half an hour.

Kyoufu

The whole UI was fucked on the 3DS. That was the first thing I noticed coming from PSP is that slight resolution hit actually managed to do a lot of damage to the HUD.

Couldn't escape the terrible UI and character limit on Wii U either.

I think the Switch version of MHXX will also retain the character limit due to 3DS crossplay limitations.

You can't even type during a hunt!

Fuck that piece of shit dragon. It never required skill, you just stood there and hit it in the dick for half an hour.

Lao was intense in the first MH. Green sharpness limit, basic moveset. It was epic and my favourite moment in that game.

Sadly he got old in the later games. I think they should go with their original concept and give him wings. Have us land on top of him and chip away at him as he flies and bombards the village/castle.

spiritfox

He's back in MHXX.

Oh only that recent wow.

it was just cool to defend a base against a giant monster for a change instead of going for a hunt. Also for me the skill was basically the prep time and using the drill etc., without very good gear the hard part was to max your damage (of all players) to get his HP down within the time limit.

Also an online-only monster so it kinda served as a bonus to recognize the grind you put into the game.

My wish list would be Narga,brachy, tigrex,and barioth. As long as a few of them returned I'd be happy, would also be a shame if no X or 4 monsters returned though.

Defuser

I can't believe some people don't like Khezu/Gigginox. Those 2 are the easiest walking cluster/piercing shots targets. Shoot a cluster shot between their feet = GG.

Kyoufu

I can't believe some people don't like Khezu/Gigginox. Those 2 are the easiest walking cluster/piercing shots targets. Shoot a cluster shot between their feet = GG.

That would require me to use guns in those games which is just nope, awful controls and ammo management means I'll have to pass on that.

Bring them on in MHW though lol, I'll finally get to use modern controls for ranged weapons.

Kinsei

Banned
He was the only monster in the game that had an attack you could dodge with the crouch button. The fact that crouching was made useful because of Yama means I miss fighting it lol.

The better hitboxes make crouching viable in regular fights. I've definitely ducked under a few attacks while waiting for bleed to go away.

I've got goosebumps after days of info and reassurance... there's a lot of potential for this to basically be Tri squared. Tri brought such massive improvements to combat and monster/environment complexity, it more than made up for the cut back in content. And seeing first and second gen monsters be brought back (mostly) improved and reworked in gens 3 and 4 has been incredible.

I'm sure that we'll be seeing a healthy mix of new and returning monsters, probably skewing towards new. So thinking about which familiar faces could make it is interesting... I mean, only the Raths and Diablos made it past the cut into Tri. I hope we get more than that, but damn am I having a hard time deciding on who I'd want to see most.

It doesn't help that it feels like Capcom has all the reason in the world to hold a few of the most recognizable flagship monsters like Tigrex and Kushala Daora back to help headline for expansions and sequels.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He was robbed in later entries when they put Khezu in instead of him. Like, really? No music against Khezu = snooze fest :(. I just can't bring myself to like it for that reason.

My favorite Soul Blade track (besides the sweet intro): Future Dancin'
Haha that's the one I had in mind! That and The Winds and Clouds and Kkaduri for some reason. Must that "Asian" vibe.

My favourite will always remain Bravely Folk Song though. <3

(I've always preferred the arranged versions myself.)

Im feeling better about this as more info leaks out. Still holding some reservations until we get more info.

Hoping it doesnt wind up like Tri with very small large monster list with a wait for G Rank.

Some people speculating hunts taking considerably longer is also a bit if a worry.

All in all though everything sounds a lot better than the shit stage demo.

Haha that's the one I had in mind! That and The Winds and Clouds and Kkaduri for some reason. Must that "Asian" vibe.

My favourite will always remain Bravely Folk Song though. <3

(I've always preferred the arranged versions myself.)
WTF, my mind is blown right now. I had absolutely no idea there was an arranged Soul Blade OST, omg. This is amazing.

I definitely prefer my Future Dancin', though :p (Arranged still good, though). Seriously, though, HOW DID I NOT KNOW. I feel great shame.

And, yes, Bravely Folk Song <3<3<3 (both versions, tbh)! World Atlas Collapsed (Arranged) is good, too. I remember that stage well from when I was a kid, and the music/the colors were what made it stand out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
WTF, my mind is blown right now. I had absolutely no idea there was an arranged Soul Blade OST, omg. This is amazing.

I definitely prefer my Future Dancin', though :p (Arranged still good, though). Seriously, though, HOW DID I NOT KNOW. I feel great shame.

And, yes, Bravely Folk Song <3<3<3 (both versions, tbh)! World Atlas Collapsed (Arranged) is good, too. I remember that stage well from when I was a kid, and the music/the colors were what made it stand out.
Yep, it's in-game too, in the options. I always picked it because it sounded nicer.

It's funny, I never got into the way more popular Soul Calibur games, but I loved the hell out of Soul Blade on the PS1. :D

Ahem, anyway, sorry for the derail.

As a Hammer user, Khezu is absolutely obnoxious when faced early on because of the bouncing off its legs, and the short range on the Hammer to reach its head, along with its stalling shenanigans, don't really endear me to it.

Go HH against it every time now.

Vuze

FWIW, Khezu used to be a lot more interesting prior to MH4U, since its blindness was an actual gameplay mechanic: since he couldn't see, that meant you couldn't be spotted, which meant that you couldn't panic dive as a result, creating some interesting situations to have to handle dodging its attacks. For some strange reason, they finally gave him a spotted status in 4U, which turns him into a complete joke and makes no sense at all.

The lack of music was also supposed to play up its considerably creepier nature compared to the rest of the monsters, but I don't think they ever really did dark caves again after gen 1, so the impact was lessened. He could honestly be a pretty good candidate for a total overhaul with what they're trying to sell with the ecology of this game, especially if you're being chased into a small cave and all of a sudden, you wake him up and he comes plopping down. He won't try to attack the monster, but because of its roar, it'll repel right off and then go after you for snack time.
That would be amazing. I really can’t wait to check this game out. Being thrown into a large map while - presumably - only being certain of the target monsters appearance has so much potential for exhilarating situations.

Bae aka Khezu gotta be part of the roaster and re attain its former glory.

Yep, it's in-game too, in the options. I always picked it because it sounded nicer.

It's funny, I never got into the way more popular Soul Calibur games, but I loved the hell out of Soul Blade on the PS1. :D

Ahem, anyway, sorry for the derail.
Makes sense. As a kid, I guess I never noticed since I rarely ventured into options.

And, yeah, we got off-track a bit, so I'll take this time to touch up on an earlier post of mine that wanted the OST to include certain composers. Specifically, Hideyuki Fukasawa. He's never gotten to do a mainline MH game (since World is basically 5), or any that have come stateside :(.

I enjoyed his work on Frontier G immensely. Here's some of my favorites:

Practice G / Large Arena (G Class Hunting Music) (The violin/the everything <3)

Frozen Island at Sea / Polar Sea (G Class Hunting Music) (1:44 - 2:10 transports me to good places <3)

Giant Castle in the Cruel Sands / Odibator (probably one of the better sandy battle themes I've heard)

Roaring Ultramarine Armor / Diorex (not sure what that sweet high-pitched instrument is, but it makes me think of Ireland, lol. Love how dramatic it gets)

Falling Petals in Disarray / Flower Field (G Rank) (honestly, he slays me with his stringed instruments)

Smoked Wasteland Colored in Flowers / Flower Field (G Rank) ( :') )

Winds That Reside in the Valley / Canyon (G Class Hunting Music) (The build-up and the flute! Goose bumps)

Radiance of the Tropic Forest / Jungle (G Class Hunting Music) (whimsy with a bite)

To Put Upon Blizzard and Flame / Disufiroa (sometimes sounds messy, but I dig it)

Of course, Capcom does no wrong with their MH OSTs, and I trust World's music with whomever they choose to include for the score. Tadayoshi Makino, Reo Uratani, and Akihiko Narita are some of my other favorites for what they've provided. Especially Tadayoshi Makino. Bless him, tbh.

Morrigan, even if you don't listen to them all, this post is for you. That's your homework, gurl.

Murkas

Jhen Morhan was always the most interesting out of the set piece bosses (that's if Gogmazios doesn't count) so I wouldn't mind him coming back.

I'm interested in what the final elder dragon bosses they'll have like Akantor/Ukanlos/Alatreon/Fatalis/Amatsu etc. Hopefully who ever it is, they got random lightning/meteor strikes, who doesn't love those.

Ridley327

It would be only right if the returning Elder Dragon was Fatalis. He was the original and provided such a stark contrast from the rest of the roster back in gen 1: whereas the rest of the roster felt like they were shaped by their natural environment, Fatalis looked at odds with that world, like he popped out of a story book into reality. It added to the mythological appeal, and did a great job of instilling the sense that what you were fighting was unlike anything else up to that point. While I don't think that they ever had a misstep with the end game Elder Dragons in terms of their design, I don't think they ever got better than Fatalis.

le.phat

Gore is one of the best-looking monsters in the series with its incredible animations.

I can't fathom skipping over it for Kut-Ku of all monsters. What does Kut-Ku even bring to the table beyond nostalgia value here?

Lone Wolf Yan garuga brought the pain tho. My favourite monster to this day.

Qurupeke

Jhen Morhan was always the most interesting out of the set piece bosses (that's if Gogmazios doesn't count) so I wouldn't mind him coming back.

I'm interested in what the final elder dragon bosses they'll have like Akantor/Ukanlos/Alatreon/Fatalis/Amatsu etc. Hopefully who ever it is, they got random lightning/meteor strikes, who doesn't love those.

Yeah, it always seemed like Jhen Mohran gets a lot of hate, but I absolutely love the fight just because it's so much different. It's a neat fight to teach new players about the importance of teamwork and coordination, as well as an excuse to have an easy Elder Dragon.

Riposte

Is being able to move at full speed while healing with no animation also just a "quality of life" change? Don't quite understand that dismissal to people's concerns.

Is being able to move at full speed while healing with no animation also just a "quality of life" change? Don't quite understand that dismissal to people's concerns.

Yeah it's the one thing I don't like so far. Also there's an animation and you can't sprint during the animation, but it's a 1.5 second animation instead of 2.5-3sec of quaffing a potion.

There is a chugging animation and the heal is now gradual instead of instantaneous.

But the animation is like half the length of the original one, the positional commitment is way less prominent.

Ridley327

Yeah, it always seemed like Jhen Mohran gets a lot of hate, but I absolutely love the fight just because it's so much different. It's a neat fight to teach new players about the importance of teamwork and coordination, as well as an excuse to have an easy Elder Dragon.
I can't hate on the Mohran duo because, as a GS user, their equipment is about the best that I can get, plus I get to look like an ancient samurai. Win-win!

Khezu

As someone who played an unhealthy amount of MH1.

Lao can fuck off. I don't even want to know how many times I had to kill that boring asshole, especially when ever the event came around and I knew I was stuck doing that all day.

Fatalis too.
I don't know what they were thinking making a boss you pretty much had to gun.

crinale

As I see the playthru plus read the interview, you can never run in "full speed" while drinking potions (seems the character slowed down, but I may be mistaken). They even said if you do some dodging healing will be canceled indeed.

Orayn

As I see the playthru plus read the interview, you can never run in "full speed" while drinking potions. They even said if you do some dodging healing will be canceled indeed.

Yeah, the actual addition to your health bar comes at the very end of the potion drinking animation.

Toxi

Banned
The health bar restoration was drastically reduced in speed to compensate. It's hard to evaluate the change until we play with it.

crinale

Yeah, the actual addition to your health bar comes at the very end of the potion drinking animation.

It would be funny if you evade while drinking animation isn't done and cancel healing you still lose the potion, making the healing risky in another way :D
(It may piss some people off though).

Syril

What's wrong with fatalis? He was a pretty reasonable boss fight using melee weapons.
In which game though? In MH1 pretty much everyone equipped guns and spammed Cluster 2 shots because his melee attacks were almost always one hit kills. A Few people were able to stack enough defense to reduce it to a 2-hit kill, usually by wearing Fatalis armor.

cheesekao

In which game though? In MH1 pretty much everyone equipped guns and spammed Cluster 2 shots because his melee attacks were almost always one hit kills. A Few people were able to stack enough defense to reduce it to a 2-hit kill, usually by wearing Fatalis armor.

In the older MH games on PS2 and PSP, Fatalis was a pain to melee. If its leg or tail hit you then you're either killed in one hit or two.
I see. Didn't know that that poster was referring to the older titles.

Riposte

Reading through this thread, as someone who is pro-timer (and pro-timer in Dead Rising, MMOs, etc.), why are the people saying Capcom should remove it acting as if it's for the sake of new players, when it's clearly them expressing what they personally want/need from the game? Just say that directly.

New players can adapt and some of them end up liking the game more because of the added tension (which is not always explicit and requiring failure to feel). Just one reason why using the Souls series to argue against the timer (or fail states in general) is quite shortsighted (beyond how much of a non-sequitur it is, because how different the series are in structure).

Defuser

Let me give you one reason why you should be excited for Monster Hunter World on PC and it's not about the graphics.

bat_02v2uhz.jpg
This is a GPD Win. A Windows 10 handheld running on a Z8750 Intel Atom Processor. Monster Hunter is using the MT Framework engine and we know how beautifully versatile this engine runs on PCs even with a weak computer. To give you an example, DMC4 is using MT framework.

The normal DMC4 PC that was released alongside with PS3/360 runs on the Intel Z8750 at max 60fps with a min 46fps while the special edition DMC4 PC released alongside PS4/XB1 is probably 20+fps or below but I'm pretty sure with enough tweaking and modding you could run the special edition at least 30 fps.

Now what have this got to do with the GPD Win then? Well the specs for the potential GPD Win 2 that could be shown and released next year in 2018 are : Core M3 processor(Unconfirmed) which is twice as fast when compared to the Z8750 and 8 gigs of ram(semi-confirmed).So I'm really hoping you can play Portable Monster Hunter World with at least 30fps after tweaking, modding and lowering the resolution to 720p with the potential GPD Win 2.

Top Bottom