• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Moore's Law is Dead] PlayStation 5 Analysis: Built to Develop New Worlds

Entroyp

The more i watch tech videos the more i am getting hyped about the ps5.
Seems gamer's are in for a real treat.

As long as the price is right, we are on to a real winner.

Yea right? I was underwhelmed at first but with more and more tech savvy people disseminating more digestible information I think Sony actually knows what they’re doing with regards to making developers life easier.

Last edited:

geordiemp

It's a 125% difference in speed at the drive itself, but you have no idea how Sony will parse data, how efficient or capable Sony's compression methods are or how the memory bus and bandwidth subsystems will interact with it to deliver that theoretical 125% throughput.

Microsoft may have a slower drive but a clearer path to practical performance given their methods of parsing, their methods of compression, given their bandwidth advantage, given their wider bus.

You guys are really bad at making substantive debates.

you can argue about each compression method, who knows...both have fancy names at least lol

But one has a 12 line bus, one a 4 line bus. The 12 line bus has been designed with each line access to 1 storage unit and designed for fast use.

But we will see. I would put my money on the 12 line bus if I had a bet ...

Last edited:
Yea right? I was underwhelmed at first but with more and more tech savvy people disseminating more digestible information I think Sony actually knows what they’re doing with regards to making developers life easier.
In some regards sure, in others not so much. I can't see too many developers praising a moving target with throttling CPU and GPU performance.

It's a 125% difference in speed at the drive itself, but you have no idea how Sony will parse data, how efficient or capable Sony's compression methods are or how the memory bus and bandwidth subsystems will interact with it to deliver that theoretical 125% throughput.

Microsoft may have a slower drive but a clearer path to practical performance given their methods of parsing, their methods of compression, given their bandwidth advantage, given their wider bus.

The XSX is last gen I/O wise compared to PS5. Get over it. You'll be fine.

Numbers are numbers, or shall we discuss if 12Tflops is lower than 10? No? I thought so.

psorcerer

Banned

I'm not sure why the MSFT path is more "practical", any explanation?
And I would also like some explanation on why Sony cannot deliver the performance?

You could actually make a Superman or Flash game on PS5 and have them move at Super Speed across the Map without loading hickups. That's what I got out of Cerny's presentation.
or sonic game with more complex open world levels.
With a 125% difference in speed, a whole gen ahead really, it's to expect some level design not possible on lesser machines. Object density/textures/stream time all depend on it.
I think 125% is not that big a difference. The question is whether microsoft also got rid of the bottlenecks limitting ssd potential or not. If they did they could probably handle similar streaming, if they didn't their ssd won't be much faster than a sata ssd.

The XSX is last gen I/O wise compared to PS5. Get over it. You'll be fine.

Numbers are numbers, or shall we discuss if 12Tflops is lower than 10? No? I thought so.
We don't know how throughput of an SSD and compression methods will deliver in a practical environment when application specific coding is applied. It also becomes considerably more unclear when you realize that there is a rather decent memory bandwidth difference and bus width is not the same.

The speed of the drive alone doesn't tell the whole story. Furthermore we already know how GPU's and CPU's work in relation to all of the aforementioned so that kind of comparison is completely moot.

Imagine running wild like s Baboon about an 18% GPU advantage and downplaying a 125% speed advantage on data streaming.

Can't wait for the Digital Foundry side by side comparisons.

90% of games are going to be the same tired ass sequels with better graphics. Oh and quicker loading and fast travel that works.

Take it to the bank.

Keihart

In some regards sure, in others not so much. I can't see too many developers praising a moving target with throttling CPU and GPU performance.
It's not throttling by Mark Cerny's words, the dev literally chooses how to balance the power budget. If he needs a little more CPU, the GPU get's downclocked and the other way around. The equivalence being power consumed and not hertz obviously so the thermal budget stays constant.

What's the relevance? He's not misrepresenting himself. These personal attacks, internet detectiving, and general escalating hostility need to end, or you're gone.

You keep saying the same bullshit over and over again.

You have not yet provided any actual evidence to prove this argument while Mark Cerny already did in his panel.

Dismissing PS5's SSD technology as just being "faster" and nothing else proves you are arguing in bad faith.

I'm not surprised to see this coming from someone who's made a reputation in a fanboy console wars forum called System Wars:
You don't contribute any substantial to this forum except derailment, dismissive posts, downplaying pro-Sony threads, unwillingness to back up his arguments with actual evidence, and pseudo-technical armchair analysis.

Go back to SystemWars where you already contributed over 20,000 posts in a span of 2.5 years. You clearly proved that you care and contribute more over there than here.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This. For me it's adding up to be an awesome piece of tech

+Less bottlenecks
+Potential for better game design
+Amazing visuals
+More free memory

Did we have so many XSeX threads after the reveal?

No, because xbox fans didn't/don't have the need to try and defend a billion dollar corporation because their box isn't as powerful as the competition.

-"this is about a war not a battle Sony wasn't planning to win the "on paper" battle they were planning to win the console war - that's what they do"

tenor.gif

I think the ps5 literally broke people's brains.

It's not throttling by Mark Cerny's words, the dev literally chooses how to balance the power budget. If he needs a little more CPU, the GPU get's downclocked and the other way around. The equivalence being power consumed and not hertz obviously so the thermal budget stays constant.
That's a fancy sentence explaining a power struggle which offsets load and throttles down the GPU to prioritize the CPU. It's atypical but all the same the CPU and GPU throttle each other, it's a very strange way of doing things. If I were simply spitballing and looking at it from the outside in I might assert that it's exposing a limitation.

CJY

Banned

You have not yet provided any actual evidence to prove this argument while Mark Cerny already did in his panel.

Dismissing PS5's SSD technology as just being "faster" and nothing else proves you are arguing in bad faith.

I'm not surprised to see this coming from someone who's made a reputation in a fanboy console wars forum called System Wars:
You don't contribute any substantial to this forum except derailment, dismissive posts, downplaying pro-Sony threads, unwillingness to back up his arguments with actual evidence, and pseudo-technical armchair analysis.

Go back to SystemWars where you already contributed over 20,000 posts in a span of 2.5 years. You clearly proved that you care and contribute more over there than here.

Damn man. DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! BTFO

Keihart

That's a fancy sentence explaining a power struggle which offsets load and throttles down the GPU to prioritize the CPU. It's atypical but all the same the CPU and GPU throttle each other, it's a very strange way of doing things. If I were simply spitballing and looking at it from the outside in I might assert that it's exposing a limitation.
Ofcourse it's a limitation, but it's a way of having your cake and eating it. You get to boost either one at developers needs instead of deciding which one gets the boost in behalf of developers.
Edit: Not to mention that the needs might change between cycles.

Last edited:
Ofcourse it's a limitation, but it's a way of having your cake and eating it. You get to boost either one at developers needs instead of deciding which one gets the boost in behalf of developers.
That seems to be a convolution rather than some form of revolution, Microsoft's system doesn't need to do this because both sides maintain a higher equilibrium at all times and resources never need to be prioritized.

I don't see anyone being excited about developing around a model where you have to pick and choose, it's literally the opposite of having your cake and eating it.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Jesus DynamiteCop! made 20,000 posts in a span of 2,5 year on Gamespot System War ?

This guy love Xbox more than i love playing with my private parts

Last edited:

Keihart

That seems to be a convolution rather than some form of revolution, Microsoft's system doesn't need to do this because both sides maintain a higher equilibrium at all times and resources never need to be prioritized.

I don't see anyone being excited about developing around a model where you have to pick and choose, it's literally the opposite of having your cake and eating it.
You always have to pick and choose if you are planning to max out the resources. If MS system did this as well it could be even better probably.

Imagine being so insecure and unable to make compelling points here that in absolute pathetic desperation you literally start playing internet detective trying to find me on other forums.

You guys are exceedingly losing your shit about me while I couldn't care less whether or not you even exist here let alone anywhere else.

Last edited:
I want to know why any random YouTuber is a credible source now. I don't care what system is more powerful, but let's stop acting like we all know the tech behind this. Nothing but guess work and so called" insiders".

Von Hugh

Gold Member
Imagine being so insecure and unable to make compelling points here that in absolute pathetic desperation you literally start playing internet detective trying to find me on other forums.

You guys are exceedingly losing your shit about me while I couldn't care less whether or not you even exist here let alone anywhere else.

One stalker (CyberPanda) already got permabanned here.

Goliathy

Banned

Yeah. Don’t know why this matters. Why the stalking? Also doesn’t even that’s you, only because it’s the same username. Could be anyone. Lol

Goliathy

Banned
Nothing about Velocity in XSX. Video is crap. :D

well,there is a lot of hype about ps5, this guy doesn’t have many subs, so creating a video praising Sony ps5 will result in a lot of views because it’s going to be posted everywhere. It’s even on reddit now and here because it gives „ammo“ to console warriors. . Lol

It's totally me but I don't think that's the point, who does this kind of stuff lol?

people that have so much time to Stalk other people. Anyway, I’m continuing playing animal crossing. Bye.

Last edited:

Don't worry, Velocity in XSX will make SSD better than SSD in PS5. XSX must not be weaker in every category than PS5

well,there is a lot of hype about ps5, this guy doesn’t have many subs, so creating a video praising Sony ps5 will result in a lot of views because it’s going to be posted everywhere. It’s even on reddit now and here because it gives „ammo“ to console warriors. . Lol
people that have so much time to Stalk other people. Anyway, I’m continuing playing animal crossing. Bye.

Nailed it. I'll go ahead and quote myself from another thread:

Personally, I don't think that's it. The large majority of games "journalists" generate revenue through online ads. There are far more ps fans right now than xbox fans. In other words, many more people are going to view pages on websites that speak positively about playstation. When it comes to playstation centric people like Moriarty, he has a direct financial incentive to keep the largest audience as possible. Losing fans means canceled patreon subscriptions. These personalities and "journalists" all have financial incentives to push the narrative that the ps5 and sony are better consoles, companies, and communities than the alternative.

You always have to pick and choose if you are planning to max out the resources. If MS system did this as well it could be even better probably.
Yeah but when your ceiling is universally higher and fixed you don't have to pick and choose to avoid crippling the other, you can parse your resources how you see fit and to their maximum on both fronts.

CJY

Banned
90% of games are going to be the same tired ass sequels with better graphics. Oh and quicker loading and fast travel that works.

Take it to the bank.
I think many can agree PS2 had some amazing advances in 3D video game design, innovation and concepts. PS5 will be the same, only greater.

Take it to the bank.

Top Bottom