• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount&Blade: With Fire and Sword |OT| Romance, cruelty and drama in European history.

Pikelet

I'm going to keep playing the singleplayer but Warband multiplayer is much better than this in my opinion. Archer spam was bad in Warband because it took away from the fantastic melee combat, now everyone has a ranged weapon. Running up to someone and shooting them just isn't as satisfying as deflecting an overhead strike and thrusting a spear into their gut, and there is far too much of the former.

Fugu

Do the non-Steam versions of this require Steam? I've been playing Warband without it and I was wondering if this was still possible with the new one.

Ducarmel said:
Well since you don't recruit from villages anymore what incentive is there in keeping good will with an enemy village, might as well raid it! Villages seem useless now they only provide taxes if you own one, but taxes/caravans/investments from towns bring in so much more money, having a village seems like a liability especially during war.
Ah that makes sense. I thought you were saying you didn't even lose goodwill, which would be just...wow.

Hooray for the patch! I'd decided not to play anymore until I knew the levelling stuff had an official fix.

Patch allowing me to upgrade my troops and fixing some of the graphical issues i would get with my ATI card on occasion makes me happy. Liking the sp much more than warband; I like that my dude isnt a one man army anymore. Now I cant just ride up behind a troop and slaughter them with a 2h from my horse, although with my hussar armour I am a bit more of a tank than when I started. Warband is definitely still my iteration of choice for mp though.

I'm also in a very good financial position at the moment. However, I keep running into minor bugs that kind of ruins the experience for me. In the 30 minute session I had this morning I noticed the following.
  • You don't earn loot from defeating wagon forts.
  • Your troops don't gain experience from fighting unless you lead them into battle yourself.
  • Whenever I try to conquer a town I end up fighting alone against ~7 high level enemies inside the castle (or throne room), even though my army outnumber the opposition 10 to 1.

Are there any good mods for this and/or Warband that improves the awful looking UI, map and item icons? I like the series, but they really need to improve these things now.

Wanace

OttomanScribe said:
Caravans.. they get you that paper! I'm rich!

How much money do you need to have to send a caravan?

I talked to the mayor, and picked a town to send a caravan to, and my guy then says "I have to go." and the screen closes out without sending a caravan or telling me why I can't do it or giving me any kind of explanation whatsoever.

What are the precise steps I need to take?

CecilRousso said:
Are there any good mods for this and/or Warband that improves the awful looking UI, map and item icons? I like the series, but they really need to improve these things now.
I've never heard of such mods, but please let me know if you ever find anything like that.

kcaGa.jpg

I just became a lord and even though I only have one village it's quite profitable. Erecting new buildings is also much faster and cheaper than in Warband. Too bad I chose a faction which doesn't appear to have a storyline.

Cryptozoologist said:
How much money do you need to have to send a caravan?

I talked to the mayor, and picked a town to send a caravan to, and my guy then says "I have to go." and the screen closes out without sending a caravan or telling me why I can't do it or giving me any kind of explanation whatsoever.

What are the precise steps I need to take?
You need at least 3000 or so for a decent one. Up your trade skill, figure out a lucrative route and then utilise it. You can get 3000 through trade without much difficulty.

I have run a few caravans and I now have 200 000 coins, a specially crafter hat, pistol and breastplate :)

I find running them from Warsaw usually works, tools to Tulga seems to be a common one.

Wanace

OttomanScribe said:
You need at least 3000 or so for a decent one. Up your trade skill, figure out a lucrative route and then utilise it. You can get 3000 through trade without much difficulty.

I have run a few caravans and I now have 200 000 coins, a specially crafter hat, pistol and breastplate :)

I find running them from Warsaw usually works, tools to Tulga seems to be a common one.

I see, my trade skill was at 0 so I couldn't figure out how to make a profit, and also didn't have enough coins to even send one in the first place :p

After figuring out the town center/commander recruiting option and the trade routes thing, I think I'll start to enjoy things more.

Wanace

Started over again. This time I'm focusing on the Cossacks. I spent a lot of money on marksmen at first and upgraded them to a good pistol. Then I went around and fought bandits and the like, getting loot, selling it, and hiring more marksmen. When I had around 30 or so marksmen, I started fighting deserters that had prisoners, and then hiring the prisoners. Now I've got quite a band of around 50 or so, trying to get some cash to send caravans and built up my rep so I can join the Cossacks as a mercenary.

Finally feeling like I'm not getting beaten up too bad, starting to enjoy it.

Ricker

I`m trying the demo of this now,after hearing all the praise for it but so far I don`t get the hype....worst tutorial ever...I decided to go back in the middle of town let`s say,after I got my little quest about the bandits but I can`t see how to get out of there now...how do I talk to people? where do I go...I met 6 bandits,I was alone,obviously I died...where do I recruit soldiers to help me at first?...and once you get a horse,you are mounted for good or what? I don`t even know how to get off the horse,if I can at all...etc,etc...

Trying to like this but man,so confusing...guess i`ll start over hehe...

Finally bit the bullet and fired up WFS.

1) The merc's I've hired from taverns don't seem to level up, but the merc's I've hired from the camps do. Is this normal, or a bug?

2) Guns have made my cavalier cavalry techniques obosolete. In the other two MB's, I *always* ride off in front of my men and scout around/harass the enemy. Now the effers are likely to blast me off my horse with one shot!

3) Guns have made my pikemen worthless. So I hire some pikemen in my first play-through, tackle some looters etc. We finally stumble across a band of 11 or so bandits, who are apparently running from my party. Enthused by that, I give chase and quickly track them down. Well little did I know, bandits carry guns. Within 2 minutes they'd killed all my pikemen, and I was lucky to kill enough so that the last few dudes just ran off.

4) Looting towns is almost too profitable.

Ricker said:
I`m trying the demo of this now,after hearing all the praise for it but so far I don`t get the hype....worst tutorial ever...I decided to go back in the middle of town let`s say,after I got my little quest about the bandits but I can`t see how to get out of there now...how do I talk to people? where do I go...I met 6 bandits,I was alone,obviously I died...where do I recruit soldiers to help me at first?...and once you get a horse,you are mounted for good or what? I don`t even know how to get off the horse,if I can at all...etc,etc...

Trying to like this but man,so confusing...guess i`ll start over hehe...
Don't walk around towns (press TAB to exit), just use the markets through the menu, you don't need to talk to most people. You can get off your horse by stopping it in combat and pressing F to dismount when it's stationary, or you can unequip it on the inventory screen.

Look for mercs in mercenary camps (on the world map) and look for companions in taverns (they'll be named).

The rest will come to you in time!

Even though this is the first Mount & Blade with a proper tutorial, I suggest you play Warband first. There is a very generous demo for it.
Ricker said:
I can`t see how to get out of there now...how do I talk to people? where do I go...
Press the Tab key to exit. You can also use it to retreat from the battlefield.
Ricker said:
where do I recruit soldiers to help me at first?
In With Fire and Sword you can recruit mercenaries from either taverns or mercenary camps. Once you join a faction you can recruit troops from the garrison commander in towns. In Warband you recruit peasants from any village.
Ricker said:
and once you get a horse,you are mounted for good or what? I don`t even know how to get off the horse,if I can at all...etc,etc...
Slow down, look at the ground, press the F key.
aronnov reborn said:
what's the least amount of money you need to send off caravans? have 4k but even the cheapest product says i dont have enough.
I needed 4 to 6k, but maybe it depends on the distance as well. I made most of my cash from raiding and looting.

bonesmccoy said:
archnemesis, do merc's hired in taverns ever level up?
No, I don't think they do. It could be either a bug or a feature. I've been using both a custom-made troops.txt file (see post #184) and the official patch.

archnemesis said:
No, I don't think they do. It could be either a bug or a feature. I've been using both a custom-made troops.txt file (see post #184) and the official patch.

Which Troops (mercs, tavern mercs, village soldiers) if any level up now with just the 1.39 patch?

*edit*
n/m just read on the tales-world forum i wont need the custom troop.txt with this patch.

Wanace

aronnov reborn said:
Which Troops (mercs, tavern mercs, village soldiers) if any level up now with just the 1.39 patch?

Troops from taverns will never level up I don't believe. Every other troop I've had has managed to level up at some point. Even rescued a farmer and he turned into a militiaman after managing to survive a few battles.

Weird, I wonder why they designed it like that.

So what's the word on the best early companion? Karlsson seems to be the top guy that I've come across.

And damn! Just read in the Taleworlds forum for WFS that Sweden and the Crimean Khanate do not have storylines.

Which makes me wonder: Why on earth did they release this without storylines for these factions?

mkenyon

Banned
The storyline is what you make it. The inclusion of a fairly linear story is completely antithetical to what Mount and Blade is.

mkenyon said:
The storyline is what you make it. The inclusion of a fairly linear story is completely antithetical to what Mount and Blade is.

Well, sure, but it doesn't make it any less strange that they would include storylines for only 3 of 5 of the factions.

Can someone help with Caravans please. I just delievered 2 straight cavarens. each one cost me 3800.

after i deliver it, it says all goods have sold and after calculating expenses i made a profit of 360 thaler... uhm... well all they gave me was 360 thaler...... so i lost 3400 thaler actually... the 2nd one i did was the same exact thing... i had over 7000 thaler and now i have 700...... but both times said all of it sold... did i do something wrong or is this just hateful like that?

aronnov reborn said:
Can someone help with Caravans please. I just delievered 2 straight cavarens. each one cost me 3800.

after i deliver it, it says all goods have sold and after calculating expenses i made a profit of 360 thaler... uhm... well all they gave me was 360 thaler...... so i lost 3400 thaler actually... the 2nd one i did was the same exact thing... i had over 7000 thaler and now i have 700...... but both times said all of it sold... did i do something wrong or is this just hateful like that?
Caravans don't automatically net you a profit. You have to actually sell stuff for a profit. So you need to use your trade skill to work out what will sell for a profit, then send a caravan with those goods there.

Wanace

Discovered another annoying bug. If the marshal of your faction gets into a battle and is surrounded by the other army leaders, they won't move in and join the battle, they just sit there and watch as he gets hammered by hundreds of other troops.

Gah, so many frustrating problems last night. Black screens, stutters, CTD's. I reviewed the support FAQ on TaleWorlds, and WFS - like other Warband mods/expansions - seems to think you need quadruple the ram. So, so annoying.

I was reading a 'power guide' as well, and it indicated that the bow + arrow is the best weapon by end game. Wth? Why would they make it like that? If anything, a musket/pistol should be the ultimate weapon.

OttomanScribe said:
Caravans don't automatically net you a profit. You have to actually sell stuff for a profit. So you need to use your trade skill to work out what will sell for a profit, then send a caravan with those goods there.
I found that the best way is to look for a mayor that has spice or velvet in the Poltava region (it'll change every now and then) and then move it over to Swedish territory (Revana or whatever it's called, high on the list), you usually get a nice ~700 thaler profit on each unit. You don't need a trade permit to get these products (all that does is reduce the taxes), and if you're not at war you won't have any trouble with the transports.

CTRL+Space

bonesmccoy said:
Gah, so many frustrating problems last night. Black screens, stutters, CTD's. I reviewed the support FAQ on TaleWorlds, and WFS - like other Warband mods/expansions - seems to think you need quadruple the ram. So, so annoying.

I was reading a 'power guide' as well, and it indicated that the bow + arrow is the best weapon by end game. Wth? Why would they make it like that? If anything, a musket/pistol should be the ultimate weapon.
A skilled bowman could easily outshoot a man with a musket, at least in those times. They had a greater rate of fire and kill you just as dead if you weren't wearing armour.

tiff

Banned
OttomanScribe said:
A skilled bowman could easily outshoot a man with a musket, at least in those times. They had a greater rate of fire and kill you just as dead if you weren't wearing armour.
Yeah, the reason the musket won out over the bow has nothing to do which was the better weapon. The musket simply required less training to use.

OttomanScribe said:

Thanks! finally got it working properly and wow is trading caravans the best way to go.

aronnov reborn said:
Thanks! finally got it working properly and wow is trading caravans the best way to go.
Word. A good trick to know is that in order to trade a good, it needs to be in the marketplace, else it won't show up in the mayor's options.

This means that you can sell something (like velvet) to a marketplace, if it is not already present, then immediately go to the mayor and buy a caravan.

I have been doing this and it works awesomely. You can net a huge amount of cash this way. I already have a double barrelled Dutch Pistol, Black Armour, a Hussar's helmet and a new thoroughbred... pity I don't have the skills to ride or wear them lol.

OttomanScribe said:
Word. A good trick to know is that in order to trade a good, it needs to be in the marketplace, else it won't show up in the mayor's options.

This means that you can sell something (like velvet) to a marketplace, if it is not already present, then immediately go to the mayor and buy a caravan.

I have been doing this and it works awesomely. You can net a huge amount of cash this way. I already have a double barrelled Dutch Pistol, Black Armour, a Hussar's helmet and a new thoroughbred... pity I don't have the skills to ride or wear them lol.

That's what i've been doing. then after i buy the caravan i even go back into the marketplace and buy the velvet back so i can just do it again later. been walking around with the same piece of velvet forever.

Is the only purpose of the trade patent to lower taxes and increase profit?

OttomanScribe said:

Very true. There's something so damn satisfying about landing a musket/pistol shot though.

What are the best ways for earning money to start up a caravan? Looters and Brigands don't drop much, and my party is too small to loot the villages.

bonesmccoy said:
Very true. There's something so damn satisfying about landing a musket/pistol shot though.

What are the best ways for earning money to start up a caravan? Looters and Brigands don't drop much, and my party is too small to loot the villages.

I just did regular fighting, selling loot, a couple of quests until i got about 3800. then i took a caravan of oil from warsaw to koensberg and never looked back.

Yar, ok. That was my general plan.

Have you guys been starting with tavern mercs, or recruiting from the camps? I bought 5 musketeers, only to find that they come armed with shields and swords. 200 thaler more they had 'Old Pistols'. At what point can they be upgraded to carry muskets?

bonesmccoy said:

I found the best way was trade to be honest. It is harder than caravans, but arguably the quickest way to earn enough money to pay for a caravan.

As to troops, I have fully upgraded European marksmen as the backbone of my force. Something awesome about seeing a ripple of musketfire and a whole cavalry charge falter.

That said in the beginning I started off by using tavern troops, as they seemed to work out less expensive.

Top Bottom