• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount&Blade: With Fire and Sword |OT| Romance, cruelty and drama in European history.

I upgraded my Muscovite mercenary riflemen recruits' weapons from bows to pistols and now the roving bands of deserters are actually quite easy to defeat. Too bad they don't get any experience from the battles. I'll probably stick with multiplayer until they get a patch out to deal with some of the more annoying bugs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dak1dsk1 said:
Hmm, so you can play as Sweden... Hmm hmm

Well, not really. It looks like the campaign starts out the same every time with a brief tutorial. After that, you free to go wherever, and Sweden is one of those locations.

Honestly, I'm fairly disappointed with the single player campaign so far. I was kind of hoping for more of a framed narrative, but so far it seems to be extremely similar to Warband's completely open-ended gameplay, except with some real world names this time.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I was kind of hoping for more 'story', especially when they claim that the game is based off a famous historical novel. Maybe things pick up later on?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Let me get this straight-

Can none of your troops ever go up in level, or just ones that you recruit from taverns? Can mercs recruited from merc camps go up in level?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Also-

CTRL-SPACEBAR is the most useful thing I didn't know about until last night, after playing many iterations of the game.

It's time acceleration on the main map.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
FlyinJ said:
Let me get this straight-

Can none of your troops ever go up in level, or just ones that you recruit from taverns? Can mercs recruited from merc camps go up in level?

They should be able to, I think, since you see the message after a battle that says your exp is being shared with everyone in your party, but I've yet to see any of the guys in my party level up.

FlyinJ said:
Also-

CTRL-SPACEBAR is the most useful thing I didn't know about until last night, after playing many iterations of the game.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I'll say this again,

!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've sunk dozens and dozens of hours into M&B, and never knew this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've been reading over on the official boards, and no one is seeing any increase in any of their troops' experience.

Apparently someone knew where this info was stored, in some ini file. He took a look in there, and none of the troops had the ability to gain experience. He edited the file and his troops started gaining. Unfortunately, it seems like it would be a fair bit of work to set up every single unit type on your own through editing the file.

So, yeah, big bug.

Well, I think I'm just going to keep playing Warband at this point. I definitely don't regret getting F&S--it was $20 on Steam for the pack including M&B, M&B:WB, M&B:F&S, so I don't feel ripped off at all. And Paradox published games usually get a lot better after release, when they are typically pretty buggy, so I'm not exactly shocked at this so far. I'm sure there will be some awesome patches soon and at that point I'll come back and try out guns.

Pikelet

FlyinJ said:
Also-

WHAT

mkenyon

Banned
You guys know about Backspace when you're in a battle?

Brings up a mini-map as well as a GUI for issuing troop orders.

mkenyon said:
You guys know about Backspace when you're in a battle?

Brings up a mini-map as well as a GUI for issuing troop orders.
WTF.

First CTRL + Space now this?

I just have to say though ----- if either Europa Universalis or Total War had this game's combat, I'd never need another series.

Backspace I thought everyone knew about!

How the heck have you guys been winning your large field battles without backspace?

bonesmccoy said:
Backspace I thought everyone knew about!

How the heck have you guys been winning your large field battles without backspace?
Skill.

Seriously though, I didn't know about Backspace nor the other shortcut. -_- Fail.

Knew about ctrl+space did not know about backspace. Was ready to come in here all smarmy with my knowledge of faster overworld map movement and promptly had the wind knocked out of my sails. This will make my battles much easier.

Revolutionary said:
Skill.

Seriously though, I didn't know about Backspace nor the other shortcut. -_- Fail.

lol - that's awesome.

You'll probably find the battles on the easy side now. And your archers will actually live this time!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
TheExodu5 said:
Ctrl + spacebar...holy shit. Wow.

Time to play some more Warband!

Oh my god...

This has revolutionized my current warband playthrough.

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS!

tiff

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Also-

Oh my god. This changes everything.

Wanace

CTRL SPACEBAR HOLY SHIT WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AHHHHH.

I can't believe I played this game 80+ hours without knowing that.

So what's the verdict on With Fire & Sword now? They actually took out marriage and the ability to play with a female character? That kinda sucks. I was hoping it would expand on all of the features present in Warband and just add them into this new world.

Anyway I already preordered it, hopefully playing for the first time tonight or tomorrow.

Conceptor

Holy shit at the two keyboard shortcuts mentioned. I just started playing Warband and this just made life so much better.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Zefah said:
Well, not really. It looks like the campaign starts out the same every time with a brief tutorial. After that, you free to go wherever, and Sweden is one of those locations.

Honestly, I'm fairly disappointed with the single player campaign so far. I was kind of hoping for more of a framed narrative, but so far it seems to be extremely similar to Warband's completely open-ended gameplay, except with some real world names this time.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I was kind of hoping for more 'story', especially when they claim that the game is based off a famous historical novel. Maybe things pick up later on?
Oh ok, thanks for the info. I'll skip it then.

Backspace and ctrl + space...my mind is blown. Thanks guys!

Fire and Sword is a bit buggy...I only played for an hour and I ran into two quests which I literally could not complete because of various reasons. I'm assuming the troops not levelling up is also a massive bug...almost considering playing warband for another week and waiting for some sort of patch.

So I finally ditched the original M&B for Warband. Installed the PoP mod for Warband, fired it up and...

I can't hit a damn thing on my horse using my lance! In the original, you just have to line up the end of your lance with a dude to score a hit, but in Warband, my guy is bobbling his aim all over the place.

Tips pls!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I learned about backspace through a "tip" during a loading screen. The problem is, the game loads so fast I couldn't read the description. I just happened to see it mentioning backspace, and tried pressing it during a battle. I couldn't believe what it did.

I don't know if CTRL-SPACE is mentioned in the tool tips. They fly by so fast.

Also, neither of them are in the keyboard remapper, so no one ever knows about them.

The title of this thread should have "CTRL-SPACE" put into it somehow.

Replacing the troops.txt file was very easy and it fixes the bug where your recruits don't earn experience. Keep in mind that they won't get any new equipment this way. You still have to purchase it from the mercenary camps.

animlboogy said:
So I'm really regretting missing the Steam sale, as this game is throwing me right into the shit, and I feel woefully underprepared. However, it seems like a lot of you didn't know some basics even after putting in some hours into Warband, so I guess I'm not alone?

Anyway, would anybody be willing to give me some tips on getting started? Any hidden controls/tricks? Tips for swordplay? Best way to approach the overworld for the most fun and the least amount of being taken prisoner over and over?

I'm completely intrigued by this game, but I've put in three hours and my trial and error has been mostly error so far.

I can help in a meta sense, but in terms of combat it's really about practice.

Practice? Practice.

I just jumped from M&B to Warband, and I've had to completely relearn the combat system. It's far less forgiving than it used to be.

In terms of the over-world, its best to get a decent combat-focused companion, put a few points into 'Trainer', and start recruiting as many dudes as you can. Your companion should have higher skills than you, and this will increase the amount of experience you and your troops earn each day.

Once you have a nice motley crew of low-end recruits, you'll be able to tackle the brigands and bandits.

Ducarmel

animlboogy said:
So I'm really regretting missing the Steam sale, as this game is throwing me right into the shit, and I feel woefully underprepared. However, it seems like a lot of you didn't know some basics even after putting in some hours into Warband, so I guess I'm not alone?

Anyway, would anybody be willing to give me some tips on getting started? Any hidden controls/tricks? Tips for swordplay? Best way to approach the overworld for the most fun and the least amount of being taken prisoner over and over?

I'm completely intrigued by this game, but I've put in three hours and my trial and error has been mostly error so far.
Warband or Fire & Sword, i'll assume your talking about fire and sword

The official forum has the best knowledgeable players

When you say your always getting captured do you mean by running into bandits? If so just try to build a force with 25+ troops most bandits will leave you alone.

Useful tips to players
* Get a few thousand thalers and start sending caravans. I found that Warsaw and Koningsberg are the easiest cities to send caravans to and from. There is small distance, expansive goods and almost no bandits in that area.
* Try to get ~50,000 as fast as you can. Don't send caravans with expansive goods at first since you will need a trade patent. It costs 4,500 thalers that appears to be a typo as it's 45,000.
* Once you have trade patent you can stop picking up loot and trading through inventory.
* Taking prisoners and selling them is useless. If you need a place to sell them you can always sell in Kafa (It was a huge slave market at that time)
* Villagers are only good for being shield troops. They are not upgradeable.
* Mercenaries in taverns are not customizable only merc from mercenary camps. Those are expansive so have lots of cash.
* Best armor and weapons are bought from Weapon-master and Armor-master.
* I have found these npcs (companions) to be good for both storylines. Names might appear a little different since I don't know how they will be spelled in English version.
Fatima, Yelisei, Fedot, Sarabun, Karlsson, Priest Spasokukotsky +Colonel Zagloba when doing Polish Storyline or Mamai when doing Cossack one.
* When you have money and npcs, send them to university in Warsaw and while they study run some caravans to Koningsberg.
* As soon as you own a city start hiring officers and building barracks and stable. After you have officers you can start hiring specific types of troops. These troops are upgradable.
* Use wagon fortification if you know you will be attacked.
* Once you Engineering skill is higher you can try to rush into the city or blow a hole in the wall, those options save you lots of troops since you don't have to scale walls.
* If you decide to use ladders for assaults carry small grenades 3 or 6. try to climb farthest ladder and while your troops fight kill enemy with grenades.
* Be prepared for drastic map changes when beginning a new mission later in the story.
* I would suggest not to worry too much about building a super army, with amount of fighting you will have to do and amount of imprisoned troops you can take from enemy use what you can since most of troops will die soon.
* How do you start the Black Mace quest? Cossack story)
1. Receive a quest to burn Maslov brod (village near Kyiv) (this quest is given by Polish lord). When you get to the village, talk to elder and refuse to burn it.
2. Get quest to bring treasury
3. From Crimean lord you get a quest to defend village Sivash, when you get there and talk to village elder, cossacks appear ready to raid it, if you let them your relations will rise with cossacks.
If relations with Cossacks are 10+ talk to first lord you see and he gives you a defend a village quest. Storyline started.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,168051.0.html

battle field strategy
here is a general strategy
I've noticed a lot of users and semi-professional reviewers complaining about the sudden change in battle balancing that's come with muskets. I thought we could discuss strategies to deal with the new combat system in this thread.

I've personally found that the old 'Fire and Advance' strategy prevalent in the era works well:

1) Make sure that you've bought enough mercenaries that you can afford to equip the whole lot with muskets - I find it's better to have 10 musket mercenaries than 20 melee because those melee will get shot to pieces during their charge
2) Order your men to spread out (press F2 and then F3) so that they'll form a line
3) Order your men to follow you (press F1 and then F2) to high ground
4) Order your men to hold position when you've got the high ground (press F1 and then F1)
5) Watch your musketeers blow holes in approaching infantry
6) Order your men to hold their fire (press F3 and then F2) when the enemy approaches
7) Order your men to charge the enemy (press F1 and then F3)
8) Now that the immediate melee enemies have been attacked in melee return to step 3

I've found this wins battles most of the time. What doesn't work anymore is charging in on horseback like a hero and trying to take out hundreds of enemies solo.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,168529.0.html
I do something similar with the exception I send my weaker soldiers (recruits/peasants) charging when the enemy is close while my archers and rifleman are still shooting dick move but I don't care.

getting money I have not tried this

Quick run;

Step 1. Physically buy a velvet or two, at any price.

Step 2. Sell the velvet to goods shop at Minsk (or Kiev, etc.) for 92 gold.

Step 3. Set up caravan with mayor.

Step 4. Buy back velvet from goods shop before leaving the town.

From Minsk some high profit short trips are Polosk (spelling? away from pc.) and Narva.

Oddly enough, my first run this was (pre-permit) netted me 130,000 coins, but after getting
the trade permit I've seen consistant 50,000 returns from Polosk (?) and 62,000 from Narva.
There are more lucrative trade points, but the short distance really makes these worthwhile.

Rinse and repeat using ctrl+spacebar.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,168820.0.html
looting villages works too seems like there is no more consequences looting a village.

Wanace

Meh, the more I read about Fire & Sword the more I think I'll stick with Warband for a while longer until the bugs/kinks are worked out.

ZFn8H.jpg

This is me. I'm doing some mercenary work for the Kingdom of Sweden. So far the loot has been quite awful, so I borrowed the armor from a couple of named NPCs.

4W4Zk.jpg

Guess how much I'm paying these dudes in weekly wages? From left to right
47, 3, 3, 5, 6
. Seems kind of broken to me.

Jintor

Those tips sound helpful. I was sticking with my traditional plan of buying low and selling high, but I guess caravans sound a hell of a lot more useful.

I love the complexity of F+B but it really bugs me that a lot of this isn't explained in-game at all.

Ducarmel

charlemagne said:
Well since you don't recruit from villages anymore what incentive is there in keeping good will with an enemy village, might as well raid it! Villages seem useless now they only provide taxes if you own one, but taxes/caravans/investments from towns bring in so much more money, having a village seems like a liability especially during war.

Sucks we cant upgrade peasant like we could in warband, any peasant I happen to free and hire just end up dead in most fights I get into mostly because I use them as fodder, but lol I still have this one tough ass peasant women who have survived at least 10 battles and even survived being in the first wave when I helped a lord besiege a town.

Wanace

I played a bit today. I hate having to recruit mercenaries from one specific location, and then having to go BACK to that location to upgrade my troops.

The complexity and missions are better, but overall I'm still not feeling it. Hope they streamline it a lot more.

Cryptozoologist said:
At what point can you do this?
  1. Do random fights and get enough renown to join a faction. I had 64 when I was offered a position as a mercenary fighting for the Kingdom of Sweden.
  2. Enter a town and visit the town center.
  3. Speak with the Commander and he'll offer to train recruits of your choice. They're a lot cheaper than the troops from the mercenary camps.
  4. Return to the town the next day and pick up your newly trained recruits. They level up and branch into different types of troops just like in Warband.

bengraven

Wow, this really does feel like a glorified mod.

And not even necessarily "glorified". I think the Star Wars mod had more polish than this does.

"polish" as in shine, not "Polish" because we all know there's tons of Polish in this

bengraven said:
Wow, this really does feel like a glorified mod.

And not even necessarily "glorified". I think the Star Wars mod had more polish than this does.

"polish" as in shine, not "Polish" because we all know there's tons of Polish in this

No kidding!

The PoP mod - in my opinion the best one out there - is so finely tuned its actually difficult to find something that doesn't work. I'm a bit disappointed with Paradox for pushing this out ahead of some of the other projects.

Patch notes.
Steam said:
Mount&Blade: With Fire & Sword Update Released
Product Update - Valve 12:04
Updates to Mount&Blade: With Fire & Sword have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

• Troops can now upgrade properly.
  • Fixed bug with grenades exploding at wrong location.
  • Squad size limitation bug is fixed for multiplayer.
  • An update is made for preventing graphics glitch on some ATI cards.
  • Several text corrections for all languages.
  • Scene fixes mainly on the custom battles and village/town scenes.
  • Fixed a quest bug with persuading Obuhovich
  • AI behavior changed so that muskeeter troops can now close up on the enemy properly

Top Bottom