• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

9fcHly0.gif

★★★★☆ / To Catch A Predator

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Roadhouse (2024)

It wasn't bad. I certainly wasn't as bad as I expected. Is it as good as the original? No. It's really just a harmless, fun action flick where Jake Gyllenhaal beats the living shit out of people.

The plot is as basic as you can get and some of the acting is truly awful, but the fight scenes are decent, but also incredibly unrealistic. The end fight is almost fantasy. Nobody is taking that much of a pounding in a fight without brain damage or death.

6/10

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Roadhouse (2024)

It wasn't bad. I certainly wasn't as bad as I expected. Is it as good as the original? No. It's really just a harmless, fun action flick where Jake Gyllenhaal beats the living shit out of people.

The plot is as basic as you can get and some of the acting is truly awful, but the fight scenes are decent, but also incredibly unrealistic. The end fight is almost fantasy. Nobody is taking that much of a pounding in a fight without brain damage or death.

6/10
I made it to the first fight with post Malone. If even the fighting is bad, what's the point

Andyliini

Wild Hogs

Four guys (nerds) on a motorcycle roadtrip is not something I expected to watch, but here I am. Not the funniest film, but got a few chuckles out of it. It somehow feels like a comedy from a bygone era, films like this are really not made anymore. Even of the film isn't exactly old yet. Well, maybe 20 years is a long time these days.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
9qGHXnU.jpeg

I don’t know why, but I decided to watch Signs tonight. Hadn’t seen it since it released, and I remember thinking it was bad back then too. But there’s that one iconic scene where the alien walks past a camera at a birthday party, and that was enough to convince me to give it another try.

Lol holy shit this movie is so bad. The acting is stiff and not believable in the slightest. The story is just dumb as hell, and the way to defeat the aliens makes no sense at all. It really is just a bad, stupid movie. I’m struggling to find anything redeemable about it, other than a small amount of early 2000s nostalgia.

I have no idea why I bothered watching this. It was so bad, start to finish lol. I guess in some backwards way, that almost makes it worth watching.

3/10

clarky

Gold Member
9qGHXnU.jpeg

I don’t know why, but I decided to watch Signs tonight. Hadn’t seen it since it released, and I remember thinking it was bad back then too. But there’s that one iconic scene where the alien walks past a camera at a birthday party, and that was enough to convince me to give it another try.

Lol holy shit this movie is so bad. The acting is stiff and not believable in the slightest. The story is just dumb as hell, and the way to defeat the aliens makes no sense at all. It really is just a bad, stupid movie. I’m struggling to find anything redeemable about it, other than a small amount of early 2000s nostalgia.

I have no idea why I bothered watching this. It was so bad, start to finish lol. I guess in some backwards way, that almost makes it worth watching.

3/10
I only saw this back in the day also and remember it being half decent. Might have a rewatch myself see how it doesn't hold up lol.

I only saw this back in the day also and remember it being half decent. Might have a rewatch myself see how it doesn't hold up lol.
9qGHXnU.jpeg

3/10

There's a possibility that the Aliens aren't Aliens and are demons coming from inside the earth. Reason why water is their weakness

Little Mac

Gold Member
Constantine (Keanu Reeves). It's the third-best Keanu Reeves movie, imho (first is The Matrix, second is John Wick 4)

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Constantine and Matrix for sure ... but Wick 4 over Point Break?! Or even Speed? Wick movies are awesome ... but top 3? Maybe top 4 or 5.

Last edited:
final-destination-2.%7Bformat%7D

Final Destination 2 (2003)

This sequel is great. I really like the characters and how they tie in to the original and love they brought back Ali Larter, she was one of the best parts of the first movie. The premonition scene in this one is awesome and one of the more realistic seeming ones too, I've never looked at log trucks and the like the same since seeing the highway pile-up in this. They definitely up the ante with the death scenes in this, but it's still fairly grounded for the most part. Later ones would get a lot more crazier.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
The Last Stop in Yuma County:

Wow, what a surprise. It seems like a standard confined-space thriller, but takes an insane turn in the final act.
I loved every single second of this. The less you know going in, the better.
And......it's also only 90 minutes!!!!
One of my favorites of the year so far. More people need to see this.
was enjoying it but it got really dumb when the knife guy tries to make off with the money? it was so stupid I turned it off

9qGHXnU.jpeg

3/10
There is a lot to like about it from my perspective. Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix for starters. The way the small rural town is paralyzed by the uncertainty of these news. The idea of crop markings being a common prank causing a "boy who cried wolf" effect. The lived in and outdated sets. The emphasis of fiddling with outdated electronics and mundane life stuff that is rarely seen in cinema past the 2000s. I also enjoy the crisis of faith after tragedy strikes. The way the threat manages to remain hidden for most of the movie instead of just being thrown front and center is a nice touch too.
sci-fi signs GIF

final-destination-2.%7Bformat%7D

Final Destination 2 (2003)

This sequel is great. I really like the characters and how they tie in to the original and love they brought back Ali Larter, she was one of the best parts of the first movie. The premonition scene in this one is awesome and one of the more realistic seeming ones too, I've never looked at log trucks and the like the same since seeing the highway pile-up in this. They definitely up the ante with the death scenes in this, but it's still fairly grounded for the most part. Later ones would get a lot more crazier.
I own the whole DVD lot and while I like most of them the premise of this one is kind of weak. The premonitions and effects are great but the whole new life cancels out death's plan is such a major troll. It made me think the undertaker was death himself. The psychological trauma aspect is also sidelined unlike in the first installment and several others.

Last edited:
The best Final Destination movies are the first and the last one.
The first one is best. The third is a guilty pleasure as it plays up the cliches with great presentation. The last has a great plot and acting, but the deaths (except the accident and tie-in to the first film) all feel like major cop outs. The fourth is really crap to me. I watch it to remind myself how good the others are.

Last edited:
Yuuuup

Can't stand it. For me it's the humanoid aspect of it, all I see is some dude in a suit.

Same goes for zombies, I can't take it serious after watching auditions for it. Holy shit it's bad
Watching the walking dead all I see is waiters from LA or Georgia wherever its filmed

Nuh uh the second is peak. Best kills and intro of the series.
I rewatched it a day ago and loved the lottery winner scene. The firefighters dislodging the door of the stuck SUV without warning the suit about airbags deploying despite a broken pipe near the back of her head was really dumb. The kid running out into the street to scare pigeons only to get pancaked was also weak. The way they end it with grill explosion and another kid's severed arm landing on the mother's plate was in bad taste. I really did like the scene where the freaked out biker tried to take his own life but all six bullets in the cop's gun were duds though.

P.S. Its intro is only better than the NASCAR race in the fourth in my opinion.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Alien Covenant

Far too predictable. One of those movies where the villain's every plan effortlessly comes to fruition in order to keep the plot moving forward, replacing the need for coherent and enjoyable writing. It at least has mostly good acting and the best visuals of the franchise to date.

What a disappointment.

Doom85

Alien Covenant

Far too predictable. One of those movies where the villain's every plan effortlessly comes to fruition in order to keep the plot moving forward, replacing the need for coherent and enjoyable writing. It at least has mostly good acting and the best visuals of the franchise to date.

What a disappointment.

Pitch Meeting summed it up perfectly:

Writer: So David is like, ”Captain, put your face in this throbbing alien egg. I assure you it’s safe.”
Producer: I mean there’s no way he’s going to put his face in there, right?
Writer: And then he puts his face in!
Producer: Oookay!

Also, the big fuck you they did to their own film and audience, like why did they do this?!

Writer: Well, have you heard of YouTube?
Producer: Uh, yeah, I have.
Writer: Well, I just heard about it, so I figure we could put some key scenes on YouTube, and that way we can cut down on the runtime of the movie.
Producer: What if people don’t go watch the clips? Are they going to be lost during the movie?
Writer: Yeah, a little, for sure. They’re definitely going to make you understand the characters and maybe care about them a little bit before they die.
Producer: So maybe we should just keep those in the film?
Writer: No, I dunno, I think it will be a lot more enjoyable for people if we give them homework!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
12 Angry Men

First time watching for me and man what an amazing film. The movie basically takes place in one room but the whole dynamic of all the characters didn't leave me bored for a second. Would recommend to anybody and everybody.

Which version? I still have to watch this!

12 Angry Men

First time watching for me and man what an amazing film. The movie basically takes place in one room but the whole dynamic of all the characters didn't leave me bored for a second. Would recommend to anybody and everybody.

The OG black and white film is in my all time favorites

Which version? I still have to watch this!

Check out the OG Black and White film

wondermega

I've been watching tons of movies lately (both old & recent), I suppose it wouldn't be a bad thing to contribute to this thread. A notable recent film from my queue:

Duel (1971), Spielberg's first legit film. It was a made-for-TV movie, and they padded it out just a tad to get it into theaters as well (in Europe I believe, at least). I had my reservations about seeing the film, and it's certainly got issues, but very enjoyable (if a little repetitive.) You can absolutely see the makings of what this director would become, after watching this film. The screengrab below is a similar one to that which sold me on watching it.
PtXvCCA.jpeg

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I've been watching tons of movies lately (both old & recent), I suppose it wouldn't be a bad thing to contribute to this thread. A notable recent film from my queue:

Duel (1971), Spielberg's first legit film. It was a made-for-TV movie, and they padded it out just a tad to get it into theaters as well (in Europe I believe, at least). I had my reservations about seeing the film, and it's certainly got issues, but very enjoyable (if a little repetitive.) You can absolutely see the makings of what this director would become, after watching this film. The screengrab below is a similar one to that which sold me on watching it.
PtXvCCA.jpeg
You should look up his original storyboard for this. It is just one big road with all the events of the film mapped out drawn on his motel wall.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I rewatched Ace Ventura: Pet Detective for the first time in years. Man, they just couldn't make this movie nowadays.

Billbofet

The First Omen
I expected nothing and was very, very pleasantly surprised. More disturbing than jump scare with some shocking moments of body horror. Maybe I was just in the mood, but I thought it was pretty great. The lead actress was phenomenal and I hope to see her again soon!

calistan

I saw Punch-Drunk Love on Netflix this weekend. I watched it when it came out but couldn't remember much about it other than the guy buying chocolate puddings to earn air miles.

Almost gave up halfway through, it's a stressful movie to watch. Horrible music to crank up the tension, which is a trick the director repeated in There Will Be Blood.

The main character is presumably autistic, bullied by his sisters, unable to stand up for himself, and getting shaken down by criminals from a phone sex company. Wears the same clothes for the entire film.

It's hard to imagine any woman showing an interest in him, and yet one does. After taking out his rage on inanimate objects, he eventually fights back. The end.

7vx2k8t.jpeg

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Despicable me 4 - These movies are fine. I don't care about them but my kids like them. the yellow things are amusing at times.

Top Bottom