• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

I know that, I’m saying both Pearl and Maxine having a parent they have an antagonistic relationship with is a thematic connection.

Sorry misread your post

Calm Down Season 21 GIF by Law & Order

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
LICnyJa.png

Totally pointless but im a sucker for end of the world type shit.

Worth a watch I suppose if you need to waste an hour and a half. 2/5.

I will say if there was a trophy for characters making stupid decisions this franchise would win hands down.
Yep. I’m also a sucker for end of the world movies, especially when they involve aliens.

This movie was ass and a half. But exactly like you said, it’s a way to kill some time. I don’t regret watching it.

Easily the worst of the 3 movies, though. The plot could not have been more pointless and stupid. But it gets points for having a cat, cause I love cats.

5/10

Billbofet

The Last Stop in Yuma County:

Wow, what a surprise. It seems like a standard confined-space thriller, but takes an insane turn in the final act.
I loved every single second of this. The less you know going in, the better.
And......it's also only 90 minutes!!!!
One of my favorites of the year so far. More people need to see this.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm halfway in agreement. I feel like Longlegs had better photography and there's a fun little Easter egg in the beginning of the film in the form of a demonic goat.
I loved the score to longlegs and obviously the scene with cage but nothing compared to the lamp post, dining room table or husband on fire scenes in Hereditary.
On another note Oz Perkins seems like a cunt. I read an interview with him where he stated he would never watch MaXXXine or any modern horror.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member

Wow, what a surprise. It seems like a standard confined-space thriller, but takes an insane turn in the final act.
Never heard of this. Will give it a shot.

Vyse

Gold Member
Just rewatched Payback with Mel Gibson. Last time I watched was in the theatre back in 1999. Don’t sleep on this movie. Has a retro vibe you just don’t see in movies anymore. Really enjoyed it. Music rocked and really enjoyed the cast.

bender

What time is it?
i-need-to-know.gif

I can't put my finger on it but something about this movie just leaves me...hollow? The only thing I actively dislike is RDJ in the movie.

bender

What time is it?
I consider Zodiac one of Fincher worst films

It's just a weird hodgepodge of characters and you don't really stick with any of them long enough be invested in them. The scene in the theater guys house always rubs me wrong too. I do like Jake Gyllenhaal's performance which is an oddity for me.

It's just a weird hodgepodge of characters and you don't really stick with any of them long enough be invested in them. The scene in the theater guys house always rubs me wrong too. I do like Jake Gyllenhaal's performance which is an oddity for me.

You mean where he goes down into the basement and he gets super creeped out and leaves immediately?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Death to Smoochy

This is some quality dark comedy. That opening scene where Robin Williams is supposed to be singing for a children's TV show but is obviously referring to guys is something else.

simpatico

Gold Member
Furiosa this evening. Felt a bit like a straight to DVD sequel, but it still had some killer scenes. Too many of the blue screen shots were obvious, but overall it was good. Check it out if you like Mad Max. Keep production quality expectations in check. It's a bit lower than the last one.

Aracadian. Fun creature movie. Drags just a little at the end of the second act, but it gets the most important thing very very right: the creatures. Well worth watching.

Vyse

Gold Member

Just finished watching. You weren’t kidding. Last act was bonkers.

bender

What time is it?
MV5BYTcwNjE5MmItMWE5ZS00NTgzLWFjNzUtMTRhMWViZGZjZGVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDA5Mjg5MjA@._V1_.jpg

Really enjoyed this until the third act and it all kind of falls apart with strange motives, predictable outcomes, and some clumsy/cheesy shots.

Unfortunately I couldn't get into this film. Ghibli is extremely hit or miss for me

Same. They usually lose me when they delve too much into the surreal. That said, Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies are two of my favorite movies ever. I love Totoro too and I have a soft spot for Ponyo because of the scene where Ponyo sprints across the transforming ocean waves.

Last edited:
MV5BYTcwNjE5MmItMWE5ZS00NTgzLWFjNzUtMTRhMWViZGZjZGVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDA5Mjg5MjA@._V1_.jpg

Really enjoyed this until the third act and it all kind of falls apart with strange motives predictable outcomes, and some clumsy/cheesy shots.

Same. They usually lose me when they delve too much into the surreal. That said, Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies are two of my favorite movies ever. I love Totoro too and I have a soft spot for Ponyo because of the scene where Ponyo sprints across the transforming ocean waves.

When it comes to Ghibli

Princess Mononoke: A+
Howl Moving Castle: A+
Spirited Away: A
Ponyo: A
My Neighbor Totoro: A
Arrietty: B+
From Up On Poppy Hill: C
The Wind Rises: C
The Boy And The Heron: C
Grave of the Fireflies: C
When Marnie Was There: D
The Tale of Princess Kaguya: F-

I haven't watched all of the films yet but for some reason I just feel alot of their films feel the same

Last edited:
MV5BMTg5Mjk2NDMtZTk0Ny00YTQ0LWIzYWEtMWI5MGQ0Mjg1OTNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
MV5BMzg4MDJhMDMtYmJiMS00ZDZmLThmZWUtYTMwZDM1YTc5MWE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz

Brilliant films. It doesn't matter what kind of mood I'm in, they almost always are able to cheer me up. I just love Edgar Wright's directing style, even the simplest of scenes have so much flavour added to them. He has so much attention to detail. The scripts are always on point and very entertaining, I love the snappy dialogue and chemistry between the cast of characters is always superb. Gun to head, Hot Fuzz is probably my favourite now out of these. I think what I really love about Hot Fuzz in particular is it combines so many different genres with the action being excellent, the comedy being complete fire and it even has some horror and slasher elements thrown in there.

clarky

Gold Member
MV5BMTg5Mjk2NDMtZTk0Ny00YTQ0LWIzYWEtMWI5MGQ0Mjg1OTNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
MV5BMzg4MDJhMDMtYmJiMS00ZDZmLThmZWUtYTMwZDM1YTc5MWE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz

Brilliant films. It doesn't matter what kind of mood I'm in, they almost always are able to cheer me up. I just love Edgar Wright's directing style, even the simplest of scenes have so much flavour added to them. He has so much attention to detail. The scripts are always on point and very entertaining, I love the snappy dialogue and chemistry between the cast of characters is always superb. Gun to head, Hot Fuzz is probably my favourite now out of these. I think what I really love about Hot Fuzz in particular is it combines so many different genres with the action being excellent, the comedy being complete fire and it even has some horror and slasher elements thrown in there.
Good movies. However I have since developed an irrational hatred for Simon Pegg, I dunno what it is, i just want to give the guy a slap. Annoying on levels only James Corden surpasses.

Gun to head, Hot Fuzz is probably my favourite now out of these. I think what I really love about Hot Fuzz in particular is it combines so many different genres with the action being excellent, the comedy being complete fire and it even has some horror and slasher elements thrown in there.
I love the small town killer shtick both in literature and film as you always know it is somebody that's been met. What stands out most to me about this film is Mr. Skinner (Timothy Dalton), hotel owner, and others constantly throwing seemingly harmless but ill-mannered or potentially incriminating statements into the face of the protagonist. It is absolutely hilarious. I especially like how during Nicholas' morning jog, Mr. Skinner runs up alongside him and jokingly says "Lock me up. I am a slasher and I must be stopped... A slasher of prices. Just kidding. I'm Simon Skinner. I run the local supermarche... Drop in and see me sometime. My discounts are criminal. Catch me later!"

Last edited:

INC

Kingdom of the planet of the apes

Yeh this is far from the original trilogy, human character is meh and annoying, the apes aren't compelling, and the voices for them ate weak, some decent look cgi fur in parts I guess

5/10

clarky

Gold Member

Watching this later, don't let me down GAF!!

calistan

Just watched Battle Angel Alita again, for the first time in a while. This movie is excellent. I really like the manga series, and the film is the highlights of the first two books of that.

There's a lot more to the story than what's presented in the movie. The manga became increasingly bizarre and had a hugely disappointing ending, when the creator basically got tired of the characters and decided to kill everyone off, before changing his mind and bringing them back for a final special edition. Which was still disappointing.

But I doubt the film series will go any further. It was released in 2019 and looks expensive as hell, but I don't think it was a huge hit, so the chances of a sequel seem slim. Even if it goes no further it's a brilliant adaptation.

V50FqJF.jpeg

clarky

Gold Member

Yo, this was pretty good thanks for the tip. Nice and short, no fucking around.

Obviously very Tarantino-esque and missing his touch but a solid 7.5 from me.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Deadpool & Wolverine - Movie was silly and fun with a lot of great cameos. I appreciated the movie, but I don't think it will hold up once you know all the surprises. It is fun, but also fairly shallow. Wolverine is excellent. I am glad Hugh did one last run.

WoodyStare

If someone asked me what it was about, I couldn't really tell but it was scary and eerie and I loved it. Probably gonna watch it again, maybe I'll figure it out.
If you enjoyed this, check out the directors new film Oddity. I don’t scare very easily, but Oddity had at least three or four scenes that scared the hell out of me. Probably the best horror film I’ve seen so far this year, it deserved a wider release. It’s available digitally on August 20th.

If you enjoyed this, check out the directors new film Oddity. I don’t scare very easily, but Oddity had at least three or four scenes that scared the hell out of me. Probably the best horror film I’ve seen so far this year, it deserved a wider release. It’s available digitally on August 20th.

Thanks for reccomandation

Peggies

Gold Member
That's why I watched this one. Wanted to check out his first movies. Haven't found Oddity digitaly yet but I'm sooo waiting for it.

Top Bottom